• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exo One - Xbox Series X Announcement Trailer

Orta

Banned
A strange (but enjoyable) experience to say the least, one minute I'm on top of things the next I haven't the slightest Idea where I'm supposed to be going.

This game would be absolutely mind blowing in VR.

Kuranghi

3060ti very overclocked.

So thats definitely a bit faster than my GTX 1080 so 4K60 should be possible given what I saw in terms of GPU usage on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels. I say try 1080p60 at high and you can see if its just the stuttering I am getting or actual frame drops.

If thats the case then probably just whack it up to 4K60 Ultra since you can't mitigate the stutters outside of what I wrote in my long post to you.

Last edited:
I hated the controls at first, was so disappointed but then I got used to them/what to do and liking it a lot, it’s a very chill game and I love the visuals, flying above the clouds in particular.

Once it clicks, its honestly hard to stop playing. 10/10 Gamepass game. The perfect palette cleanser if you don't have to buy it and you can just jump in.

Stands up to the label of sci-fi Journey for me no question. Just very chill, laid back gameplay that is fun and unique. Pretty scenery. Exploration and awesome visuals.

Recommended for people looking for a chill, minimalist exploration game similar to Journey. The feel of flight is very unique and fun, just not super deep. But I dont want to put it down. What is there feels good to play.

SirTerry-T

Love it. The "Space Odyssey" inspired visuals when you leave a planet are fantastic. I think as far as sound and visuals go, this title can sit right up there with Rez and Jeff Minter's Tempest games.
There is something very addictive about the gameplay loop once the controls click. I was on the third planet when I started to hit the groove...flying high and then dive bombing until you hear the sonic boom and the zooming back up into the skies again gets very addictive.
Really enjoying this.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Love it. The "Space Odyssey" inspired visuals when you leave a planet are fantastic. I think as far as sound and visuals go, this title can sit right up there with Rez and Jeff Minter's Tempest games.
There is something very addictive about the gameplay loop once the controls click. I was on the third planet when I started to hit the groove...flying high and then dive bombing until you hear the sonic boom and the zooming back up into the skies again gets very addictive.
Really enjoying this.
Same here. It strangely invokes that inner child in me that gets wowed by the unknown. Very few games do that nowdays.

Bartski

Gold Member
Couldn't put it down yesterday. Zen game, just relaxing, great ambient music, and just "journey" vibes all the way. Surprisingly enough I really like the story layer and I'm curious where it's going. I like how gravity and "power" upgrades change so much of what you can do without really telling you so you end up doing some very intense and surprising maneuvers like diving below the sea level and shooting over the atmosphere all of a sudden, wow such a crazy moment.

The only downside so far was some rather horrible pop-in on the forrest planet, I wonder if it's the same on PC.

How the hell do I get the energy core on the third planet? I assume it's on top of that one cube, right after (and above) when you pass the orange portal that gives you a nice boost. But I don't know how to get up there.

SirTerry-T

How the hell do I get the energy core on the third planet? I assume it's on top of that one cube, right after (and above) when you pass the orange portal that gives you a nice boost. But I don't know how to get up there.
Use the "dive bomb" tactic to get massive air and speed.
Find some high ground and build up speed in ball mode, take off, double jump, use gravity on/ off to pump yourself up a bit higher then while gliding hold RT trigger while LF trigger is being held to dive..as soon as you hear the sonic boom and get the little reddish glow/ flash around your craft let go of RT trigger and you should zoom waaaay up.

If the orange portal you are talking about is that spiral looking thing I missed that too and was still able to get the energy cores using the method above.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
There is a console version, and it will/did launch day-and-date. Seems like some people had trouble finding it (maybe XBL didn't synch yet?) but the creator tweeted that it should be out on PC and Xbox/Game Pass today & the webstore lists it as the 18th, so check again?

Cool. I'll have to download that! Thanks!

KAOS

Such a weird chill game. Chill for the most part cause that water planet gave me some ecco under water phobia! Nice title to check out on GP!

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Every day I’m happier about having a VRR TV, absolutely zero tearing with it.

Tearing sucks though and I hope they fix it.

Don't you get massive hitches and stutters due to the frametime spikes still even without tearing? I was on PC though so I don't know if XSX has that too.

oldergamer

Really?
I have no Vsync and have pop up textures when playing (on SX), how can we play different versions? I'm curious.
Ohhh hmmm yeah im on sx. How bad is the pop in for you? I didnt notice anything with the textures. If your xbox is having issues you would see stuff like that in all games

rofif

Banned
I finished it in 1 sitting yesterday. 3 hours.
Very cool visual/audio feast.
Not overdone with talking and stopping you like JETT: far shore.

Very simple gameplay which becomes satisfying once you get into the flow of sliding and gliding. Kinda like old tribes games with skates.
Not sure what is going on with the story. They missed mark a bit there but I think I know what's going on.

edit: Shame you can't disable the cross pattern overlays on the screen. not sure why it's there

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Subsequent playthroughs after completing the game are so enjoyable. Consecutive sonic booms and break neck speed over a vast ocean are what gaming is all about.

giphy.gif

I love this game and hope it gets the VR treatment.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Finished the game last night, great experience if a little short in both length and ideas, but the feeling of the game was great fun.

Matt_Fox

Played 30 mins and my first impressions are a bit disappointing. The controls feel like a struggle when they ought to be simple and on the first level I think my game glitched out as it wouldn't give me the next tutorial prompt and after 10 mins of aimless bowling around sand dunes I had to restart.

I will persist though as the graphics are nice and I love the style of the game, and hopefully things will iron themselves out.

Whilst playing, it made me think of the possibility of a Flight of the Navigator game . I know the chances are remote to say the least but I thought it would potentially be fun, back and forth dialogue with your character and the ship Max on what you do throughout the game.

Orta

Banned
1st patch released this evening. The extra geysers on the rather annoying Coronides level are very welcome. What took 15 minutes of mainly dithering before the patch means the level can now be completed as intended in 2-3 minutes.

Completed my third playthrough tonight, first took 2hrs 49, second 2hrs 02 and third 1hr 36. Can probably be done in under and hour with a no-nonsense speed run.

Definitely slips into my top 10 goty.

Kuranghi

I just refunded it on PC, can't be bothered trying to fix it anymore. I did fix some of my stutters but the camera motion is just generally unpleasant to me so I'll pick it up down the line on console and see how it is. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills that others don't see/have this camera stutter problem tbh but I've given up on trying to troubleshoot it.

Waited years for this one, oh well, onto the next thing I guess.

This game makes me think of Unsolved Mysteries. Very reminiscent of what people described with UFO sightings and subsequently how it was portrayed in early CGI on the show. It's right up my fucking alley.

And here's the soundtrack if anyone is interested:

Last edited:

Kuranghi

So since I refunded they have put out a patch that says:

"Version: 21.11.24.0103 - Frame rate hitching hopefully improved or fixed completely"

Which is great but I can't buy it again just yet due to my refund being stuck in limbo and cash is a bit tight to just rebuy it before then. Heres hoping its related to what I'm bumpfing on about, I've messaged Alex from DF on Discord to see what he thinks but I don't think I'll get a reply because he probably abandoned that username a while ago due too many questions from people like me lol.

T-Cake

I can't get the hang of it at all. I'll give it another shot before it gets deleted but Journey-level greatness it most certainly isn't.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
No. Why would you assume I have a VRR capable TV? Most people do not.
If you did, there is no screen tearing. That is why. Quit whining and get a better TV rather than bitching about the game. And yes, most people do have VRR capable TV's now. I got mine last year cheap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom