• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-Zero SNES: Finally understand it, and it's a lot of fun!

Neiteio

snes-f-zero-cover-boxzzps9.jpg

F-Zero SNES was one of the first videogames I ever played, on my friend's SNES alongside Super Mario World.

I always liked the game's style and atmosphere — like a PG-rated version of the Judge Dredd comics — and the Mode 7 effects are nifty even today. Game also has great music, and nice touches like the silhouette of Captain Falcon leaning left and right inside the cockpit of the Blue Falcon.

It's a true classic, but I often struggled with the SNES version. I always found X and GX to be much easier to play, and I think I've realized why.

When I was a kid, I never took my foot off the pedal, so I was constantly plowing into corners, even with L and R for drifting. Thing is, this actually works in the 3D F-Zeros, where I virtually never slow down, so when I went back to the SNES game, I didn't think to change my approach. But in that F-Zero, it really pays to lightly feather the accelerator (or lay off it entirely) to avoid clipping hairpin turns. You don't lose much speed, but you gain a lot of control.

Suddenly, what I once played like wall-to-wall bumper cars became a very, VERY fast exercise in surgical precision. Now I'm negotiating zigzags in the track like I'm threading a needle, not touching the walls. It's making me appreciate the super-tight handling and track design. Since I'm laser-focused on each twist and turn, I'm also getting a surprising sense of speed from the game. Once you know how to avoid the walls, it feels like you're whipping through each course at breakneck pace.

It's a lot of fun, to the point I was late to a friend's house (we're playing Heavy Rain) because I wanted to spend more time in F-Zero's Practice Mode.

Also, I really enjoy the atmosphere of each world, especially Silence and Port Town. The latter has a nice touch where you can see the headlights of vehicles on the roads far below. I guess I just really like racetracks set at dusk or night. Anyone remember Metro Madness from Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64? Similar vibes, in terms of atmosphere. :)

I'm playing on the N3DS VC. This will rustle some jimmies, but I'm playing with the Circle Pad, which is godly here (and also godly with DKC2). There's something about the smooth movement of the pad that works well here. It feels tighter than a stick, with digital-like inputs due to the Circle Pad's low profile, but more fluid than a D-Pad. Works well with the incremental adjustments needed to steer your craft.

Also, the game looks amazing in perfect pixel mode, which outputs in 8:7. When you played it on the SNES, it was stretched on your TV to fit 4:3, but here on N3DS it looks super-sharp and perfectly proportional in perfect pixel mode. Good stuff!

Anyways, just wanted to put in a word for this game now that I've rediscovered it and adjusted my play style to properly enjoy it. This has been a year for understanding classics, like RE2 and RE3, and currently I'm playing EarthBound (now at Deep Darkness — expect a thread when I'm done). I'm thinking I'll also give Super Metroid another shot and see if it finally clicks this time...

Rich!

now try the best "2D" F Zero:

F-Zero-Maximum-Velocity_01.jpg

Maximum Velocity (GBA) is amazing. It takes everything that made the original great and pairs it with better handling, complex tracks, a vast amount more cups/tracks, great unlockables and secrets and awesome music. And multiplayer.

also....best tactic = hammer at the accelleration on corners.

In addition, there's two sequels too on the GBA. GP Legend and the JP exclusive Climax:

F-Zero-GP-Legend-Screenshot.jpg

F-Zero_Climax_gameplay.png

They're good - but Maximum Velocity is better, imo. MV also feels like a true sequel to F Zero SNES unlike the other two.

I was playing this a month or so ago and it is still probably the most intense racing game. Love it, second only to WaveRace 64 on my personal goat list.

PSqueak

Banned
Reminds me of when nintendo released 200cc and had to remind everyone that a break button exists in Mario Kart 8.

Neiteio

Hey Rich, I played Maximum Velocity -- brother picked it up at GBA launch, while I got Tony Hawk and Castlevania, but we played each other's games. Come to think of it, I still have it, since I'm a 3DS Ambassador. Might revisit it later, now that I get how to play old-school F-Zero. I just wish they stuck with the classic characters in MV.

wispsmoke

Neo Member
F-Zero, even more than Metroid, is my most missed franchise. I also never really got the SNES versions controls, really only having access to it at friend's houses at the time it came out. Maybe I'll pick up that GBA copy that y'all recommended and dig out the ol' first gen DS to give it a shot.

I didn't play it until the Wii U release, and I absolutely fell in love with it. There's a great feeling of satisfaction to getting through a course, probably due to how important memorization is in these games. Definitely a great start to a great series.

Playing this one first, I feel like it helped me out a lot when it came time to play the others in the series. It's a bit more strict than the 3D installments, so it prepares you in a lot of ways for what's to come.

Really pretty too, in my opinion. The visuals work despite how dated Mode 7 is as a concept, and the music is to die for. The level design is superb, considering fizesize restrictions. They do a lot with the engine, and they have the right amount of stages so that no mechanic gets old.

Can't say it's the best in the series, but it is absolutely worth sitting through and learning. It's a nice little game that has aged surprisingly well.

Vertti

It's those games where I can't believe how much fun it is.

Great sense of speed, good mechanics and nice graphics and excellent soundtrack.

Multiplayer would be awesome but can't have everything.

As someone who is somewhat competent on X and GX but absolutely suck at the original and GBA games, I'll keep in mind your tips OP. Thanks!

Stopdoor

I actually just picked up Maximum Velocity this week, it's pretty great, a good follow-up to the SNES game with small refinements. I wouldn't say different characters is a big deal, considering how forgettable the characters are treated other than GX and maybe X.

Playing it made me actually learn the mechanics, like mashing the acceleration around corners, holding down for longer jumps, and getting a boost per lap (for some reason I'd never clued in that was a mechanic in the original). The tracks may be less exciting than X and GX, but there's something to be said for the intensity of managing all the turns and wild obstacles without worrying about falling off (mostly).

I've ordered GP Legend, excited to see how that game is and be able to say I've played the whole series - that was released here.

Yeah, I discovered the tapping the gas method as a kid and it's a really good way to approximate analog controls on snes. I don't know if it was an intentional design decision but I don't think it's a coincidence that it works in super mario kart on snes for taking corners as well and makes that game a ton more playable too.

Neiteio

Nice bit of strategy collecting boosts. You get one per lap and can hold up to three at a time. I usually keep one in the tank as a trump card in case my rival overtakes me. Since there are five laps, you want use at least one boost by the end of Lap 3.

Very good thread. I discovered F-Zero SNES on Wii U for the first time and it's been a blast, I still play it from time to time. One of my favorite racing games.

Peltz

This is one of those games that can still pick up factory sealed for like 20 bucks. Totally a great game too. One of my favorites on SNES.

This is one of those games that can still pick up factory sealed for like 20 bucks. Totally a great game too. One of my favorites on SNES.

That's thanks to a huge late reprint of it and simcity.

I would like to know the story of why there were hundreds of copies of these games at many stores in 1997 or so.

Did Nintendo just have loads of leftover carts and pcbs and these were the games that were small in size and broad enough in appeal to print in massive quantities?

Mexen

Maximum Velocity (GBA) is amazing. It takes everything that made the original great and pairs it with better handling, complex tracks, a vast amount more cups/tracks, great unlockables and secrets and awesome music. And multiplayer.

In addition, there's two sequels too on the GBA. GP Legend and the JP exclusive Climax:

They're good - but Maximum Velocity is better, imo. MV also feels like a true sequel to F Zero SNES unlike the other two.

This is an excellent post.

Neiteio

BTW, I've been also thinking about trying Pilotwings SNES, since I love Pilotwings 64 and Resort. However, when I tried the demo in Smash WiiU, I wasn't sure what I was doing. I like the atmosphere, though. Anyone here care to explain how to properly play the different game types in Pilotwings SNES?

Fermbiz

Gold Member
The SNES is the best version followed by the first GBA game. I truly don't understand how people think the GameCube version is the best...

Now go try GX. It's a brilliant game.

Edit- just saw you already did! Didn't see you mention having played the original Mario Kart, if not, it's a close relative of f zero and an absolute riot in multi-player.

BTW, I've been also thinking about trying Pilotwings SNES, since I love Pilotwings 64 and Resort. However, when I tried the demo in Smash WiiU, I wasn't sure what I was doing. I like the atmosphere, though. Anyone here care to explain how to properly play the different game types in Pilotwings SNES?

If you like the mode 7 stuff Pilotwings on SNES is a good way to go. its a pretty solid game IMO if less adrenaline inducing than F-Zero.

Still my favorite console.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
They don't make em like F-Zero anymore.
I could never get over that jump in Queen League or whatever it was. Looking back, I probably just needed to use a boost
You're probably thinking about White Land II. Yep that jump before the finish line is a bitch. You pretty much have to maintain your speed before you hit it or else you're not gonna make it.

Haven't beaten the game yet because of it.:(

Boney

Banned

The only minor gripe I have with MV is that it keeps the SNES version of boosting instead of X's.

Someone post the amazing F-Zero GX gif.
That gif is all show and no content.
2d fzero for laife

Neiteio

Ah man, I game over'd right before I got to the last king's course :/

Game is so intense once you know how to play it!

Stopdoor

They don't make em like F-Zero anymore.

You're probably thinking about White Land II. Yep that jump before the finish line is a bitch. You pretty much have to maintain your speed before you hit it or else you're not gonna make it.

Haven't beaten the game yet because of it.:(

Like mentioned earlier in this thread, hold 'down' while in the air and you go farther/land cleanly. It's really simple once you know (not that I knew that until like, this week).

The only minor gripe I have with MV is that it keeps the SNES version of boosting instead of X's.

Considering GP Legend and Climax use X's boosting, I think it's fine to give the old mechanic one more shot - it promotes a different focus where health management isn't so critical and you have to manage your boosts more discretely. It does work, even if the other way is pretty great.

gamerMan

That's the thing with Nintendo games. If someone was to bury all their games today and 100 years into the future, someone dug them up they would still be fun to play as when they were originally created. That's why I love Nintendo. The graphics may age, but the gameplay never really does.

Fandangox

Good that you've seen the light.

I got to play F-Zero GX again for the first time in years, still fucking amazing.

Maybe one day the series will come back.

lazygecko

I could never get into F-Zero, Mario Kart, or any sort of Mode 7-based racing game. Something about the perspective and sense of movement just feels off to me. And the flat unnatural perspective makes it harder to see what's coming up on the horizon. I much prefer the more "primitive" raster effect racers.

F-Zero will always hold a special place in my heart.

It was one of the first games I remember owning on the SNES. I go back to it every few years and just listen to the music. I'll have to pick this up on my N3DS.

Ragnamith

Never really played the SNES one but that's exactly how I'd play the GBA one, just tap A in the turns instead of constantly holding it. Pretty fun game but doesn't quite give you that "whoah I'm going reeaally fast" feeling like the 3D ones.

Top Bottom