• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2013 announced (PC/360/PS3)

Lima

I'm glad that they are finally doing the classic stuff. Hopefully the will add a classic challenge mode next. No next-gen version makes it hard for me to buy it this year though. Will maybe pick it up later for cheap on PC.

SGRU

To recuperate from loses that previous ownership of F1 license produced for them, despite license was cheaper and development costs was lower.

If reports from 2008/09 were accurate, Bernie asked for 15 million annualy for F1 license. Sony aborted, EA aborted, Activision changed their mind and left Bizzare to die while Codemasters said "okay".

Cunning plan I say.

So it's something similar with the TV rights. Shamelessly expensive rights, so the channel that buys it has to fill the emission with ads.

Was it profitable for Codemasters?

Anyway, F1 is less and less interesting every year, so...

The classic edition will likely just be more expensive.

It's like buying the enhanced edition of a game. Like a CE. Hardly worthy of your reaction.
Except when you're making a yearly game like this where all you do is update some models and swap out the old sponsors for some new ones there's no excuse that you can't provide all of the classic content in the standard game.

It sets a precedent too, come F1 2014 you'll probably see the standard edition having all of 2013's classic content with a special edition in 2014 containing new classic content.

Not even a classic McLaren for the 80's or 90's - wow.

How did they not get McLaren? Did they cheap out or did those cunts at Simraceway block it with their exclusive license?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm glad that they are finally doing the classic stuff. Hopefully the will add a classic challenge mode next. No next-gen version makes it hard for me to buy it this year though. Will maybe pick it up later for cheap on PC.

doesn't look that comprehensive though. a few cars and a few drivers and one or two tracks? Just feels like a DLC pack tbh.

and those screenshots of the classic mode are *very* yellow

Lima

doesn't look that comprehensive though. a few cars and a few drivers and one or two tracks? Just feels like a DLC pack tbh.

Well it's start. I always wanted stuff like this. Seeing how Forza 5 has open-wheelers though I might just get my fix there.

NHale

and those screenshots of the classic mode are *very* yellow

The world on 1980 was yellow/sepia, wasn't it?

Bright colors only appeared on the real world in the late 90's if I remember.

So really the classic edition is just 7 driver helmet textures and 5 more cars *edit* and 2 tracks.

Visually looks clean and nice, no yellow hue which is good.

My main concern is what have they done to driver aids and tires again, they ruined 2012 for me with no accelerated wear in short races.

I was hoping for more out the the classic content, but oh well. It's a nice addition for people already sold on the vanilla game.

Jersey, Sochi, and new cars await for 2014. I'll think I might too.

NHale

So really the classic edition is just 7 driver helmet textures and 5 more cars.

And 2 circuits (Imola and Estoril) which seems to be the biggest selling point for the Classic Edition, especially if you can drive those tracks with 2013 cars.

Estoril is not terrible (except for the stupid corkscrew) but Imola is god like for driving games. That track just flows and it's a joy to drive when you master it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
If among those classic 90s classic cars they include some model of the Williams Renault then sign me up.
Hmm?
F1 Classics: 1980s Content includes:
  • Five iconic cars from Ferrari, Williams & Lotus
  • Ten legendary drivers including Nigel Mansell, Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Gerhard Berger and others
  • Circuito De Jerez – Former host of the Spanish GRAND PRIX™
  • Brands Hatch – Legendary former home of the British GRAND PRIX
F1 Classics: 1990s Pack Content includes:
  • Six Iconic cars from Ferrari & Williams
  • A host of famous drivers including David Coulthard, Eddie Irvine, Alain Prost, Jacques Villeneuve and others
Classic Tracks Pack includes:
  • Imola – Former host of the San Marino GRAND PRIX
  • Estoril – Past home of the Portuguese GRAND PRIX
  • All The Official 2013 Content Reflecting what is shaping up to be one most exciting seasons yet, F1 2013 will feature all the cars, circuits and stars from the 2013 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP™.

This game should be on current gen systems. It is a shame that this won't be on Wii U and PS4. The less last gen games the better.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The hotlaps videos are not a good indicator. It seems like the game is even more arcady than F1 2012.

And for anyone asking for Codemasters to lose the license. They already extended their current deal.

smh. RIP F1 games.

I'd go back to F1 CE, it's still the best F1 this gen anyway.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
WMq2voR.png

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I really hate this crap. Say you don't want to spend the money because of install base, etc. Don't sit there and lie your ass off about the system not being capable when it's on the damn PS3 and 360.

well he said that for Vita.
2S6CB0U.png

so I'm not sure why he said " need to be a very different game" bullshit for his Wii U excuse.

now I'd like to read what he can say about the lack of 3DS, PS4, Xbox One and Android/iOS versions.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really hate this crap. Say you don't want to spend the money because of install base, etc. Don't sit there and lie your ass off about the system not being capable when it's on the damn PS3 and 360.

Well, he admits that in the end if you follow the conversation.

We simply do not have the time to work on it for what would potentially be a one-off conversion. Not enough people.

Quite hard to explain on Twitter. Too few people/new tech/learning process/one off release = compromises.

Will purchase the 'Classic Edition' purely for the 90's content pack and classic Imola ... finally Codemasters have taken a step in the right direction - we just need some McLaren's in there now!

Shame about the lack of next-gen releases :\

Dibbz

now I'd like to read what he can say about the lack of 3DS, PS4, Xbox One and Android/iOS versions.

Are you thick? Who do you think would put the game onto those platforms? Magic programmers from the sky? No they would have to hire a shit ton of people to get it onto those systems.

Why take resources away from PS360/PC when they already struggle to manage that every year?

Lemonte

Doesn't look like you're throwing a machine around a corner at massive speeds. The weight doesn't seem to be there. I'll wait for the demo though to see what it feels like to play.

Youtuber Intothebarrier said they are not going to release demo...

Certinty

No release date?

GAME Spain says the 20th of September but surely they won't release it then given that GTA V is being released only a few days before?

Give me a new Grand Prix Legends and I will be happy. Codemasters is sitting on a gold license and still releases only dumb out current season F1 games.

Lima

No release date?

GAME Spain says the 20th of September but surely they won't release it then given that GTA V is being released only a few days before?

Their F1 games always came out around that time. And it's not like the GTA crowd is the target audience.

Their F1 games always came out around that time. And it's not like the GTA crowd is the target audience.
That's not how it works, regardless of who the game is aimed at you can't research and say that a multi million selling game with a broad appeal has no one in our target audience.

DieH@rd

Banned
Shame they are sticking only to currentgen consoles. Visuals are not looking improved, driving looks flat. Everything looks flat...

Juicy Bob

So, I managed to go along to the press reveal event for this game last Thursday and have a go at both the Classic mode and the 2013 modes, but only on Time Trial – no racing allowed. A couple of things to say…

The Classic cars, especially the 1980s cars, are really fun to drive. No more challenging or realistic than the 2013 cars even on a 360 pad with no driving aids, but you can really throw them into the corners and feel the tyres about to let go in the high speed turns. It’s really good fun, I have to admit. They feel like giant, super-powered go-karts.

1980s cars have a basic yellow HUD similar to the old basic graphics overlays from the actual Eighties while the 1990s cars have a yellow and blue HUD that’s clearly modelled after the old F1Digital+ graphics from the late 90s to 2002, which is pretty cool. Each car drives differently, has unique engine sounds, gear and brake-balance changing animations and a unique tachometer on the external HUD that’s different for each car.

Jerez looked great, really well lit and with neat touches like a load of hot air balloons in the background. It’s also a heck of a lot of fun to drive with the high-speed sweepers and the fast pre-Donnelly right-kink before the final hairpin. The 1980s cars did have a semi-sepia screen filter placed on them, which we were told would make the game reflect the old analogue broadcasts of the day. Not sure that’s the best decision, though.

The 2013 cars don’t feel very different to 2012 to me. My very first lap of the game, I went to Time Trial mode, switched all assists off and could push pretty easily. One of my biggest disappointments was that it still seems as though cheesing the setup is the best way to go. 1-1 ride heights and 11-11 spring stiffness make the car quicker without any obvious drawbacks. All the setup options, driving aids, etc are still the same. No TV cameras in replay mode, still. Also no obvious ability to change cars or save in replay mode. No obvious changes to damage either.

There was a bug with the Sauber I drove looking as though it was producing spray from the front tyres constantly around a dry lap, but that’ll surely be fixed before release. No other obvious issues or invisible walls, but I did launch the car into a wheelie, Mark Webber style when I turned into Copse corner to early and ran over the inside kerbs.

I can happily report that tyre scaling is back, as is the ability to race a full or custom championship in Grand Prix mode. They’ve also finally fixed the mirrors in cockpit view, so now you can actually see a car coming up behind you. The AI and penalty system are supposed to be improved, but I couldn’t test that. You can now save the game mid-session or mid-race, which is good, but long-overdue.

Talked to one of devs who said there wasn’t any major changes to online for this year, but he did say that penalties can be turned off by hosts. No mention of anything about the career mode either. That’s all I can write right now. Might be able to give more detailed feedback later on tonight.

their license is VERY specific, bernie does not give you rights to use EVERYTHING

so it is a 15m/year license of just a boring sport? No wonder no dev want to pick it.

Sorry, the golden years of F1 was in the lower 90's. Actually, anything before that is golden. Today? Not so much.

acm2000

so it is a 15m/year license of just a boring sport? No wonder no dev want to pick it.

Sorry, the golden years of F1 was in the lower 90's. Actually, anything before that is golden. Today? Not so much.

bernie would want a LOT more than that a year to grant access to the entire f1 archive, dont think theres a company in the world that could afford his ransome

Top Bottom