• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2013 announced (PC/360/PS3)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There will be special game mode for 2013 season, featuring Felipe Massa and quest to complete two consecutive races in top 10 with reverse controls.

NHale

Looking at the tweets from T4RG4, Jason Darby (Lead Designer) and Mark Russell (former Lead Designer, now working on Watch_Dogs), it makes me wonder if the PS4/Xbox One versions are indeed coming...

tgWxdNa.png

Thinking about it there is not much reason to announce next-gen versions now, because this way they get people to buy it in September for current-gen and then probably double dip for better looking and playable versions on next-gen consoles in November.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Looking at the tweets from T4RG4, Jason Darby (Lead Designer) and Mark Russell (former Lead Designer, now working on Watch_Dogs), it makes me wonder if the PS4/Xbox One versions are indeed coming...

tgWxdNa.png

Thinking about it there is not much reason to announce next-gen versions now, because this way they get people to buy it in September for current-gen and then probably double dip for better looking and playable versions on next-gen consoles in November.

Those tweets do not suggest anything about a next-gen version.

They have categorically stated that next-gen is not until next year.

Not seeing anything that indicates it's not a pile shite again

"New game modes" ✓
"Improved handling & AI" ✓

Got to have those box bullet-points in there

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I think they said someone else has the rights, so there's nothing they can do. Really sucks.

Forza has a 76 McLaren. I guess they might have some more classic McLaren's they haven't announced but so far there isn't any overlap as F1 2013 is only 80s and 90s.

For the first time, “Forza Motorsport 5” will feature historic grand prix racing cars, including the 1976 McLaren M23 and the 1976 Ferrari 312-2 cars driven by James Hunt and Niki Lauda, respectively, during the 1976 season.

smh. RIP F1 games.

I'd go back to F1 CE, it's still the best F1 this gen anyway.

Yes, but they totally screwed up with the wheel support.

I revisited F1 05 today on PS2 and tried it with the G27 for the first time and wow! It's absolutely perfect; direct and precise with great ffb effects. If F1 CE had the same settings and not the twitchfest / wheel breaking rumble profile it's lumbered with I'd be in heaven. I would pay £10 for F1 05 wheel profile DLC.

I think they said someone else has the rights, so there's nothing they can do. Really sucks.

SimRaceway signed an exclusive deal with McLaren in 2011, they probably have sub license capabilities like EA have with the Porsche license.

All parties involved are cunts.

Forza has a 76 McLaren. I guess they might have some more classic McLaren's they haven't announced but so far there isn't any overlap as F1 2013 is only 80s and 90s.

I think you're right regarding other cars. Steve Hood specifically responded to this question and said someone else had the rights to classic McLaren F1 cars. Perhaps the language of the Forza deal prevents them from licensing other cars. Would love to have seen McLaren orange livery.

I think you're right regarding other cars. Steve Hood specifically responded to this question and said someone else had the rights to classic McLaren F1 cars. Perhaps the language of the Forza deal prevents them from licensing other cars. Would love to have seen McLaren orange livery.

I think Simraceway may be the exclusive rights holder of historic McLaren F1 cars, and in which case would have subbed it out to Microsoft.

The Demon Headmaster doesn't own the rights to the cars

Any racing game can have a Formula One car in it if the publisher pays the manufacturer / rights holder

rFactor 2 licensed the 2012 Marussia last year

SimRaceway has the 2013 McLaren

Gran Turismo 6 will have the 2013 Ferrari and Redbull cars
Amar?

Any racing game can have a Formula One car in it if the publisher pays the manufacturer / rights holder

Amar?
He does, or I thought he did. Only Ferrari were allowed to license their cars outside of official F1 games, see Gran Turismo. Seemingly that isn't the case anymore.

beatnik11

Neo Member
Its getting pretty hard for me to respect Codemasters anymore. Their handling of the F1 games has been pretty bad, usually they take at least 2 years to develop a new game in a franchise but they have been shitting out these F1 games as an annual series when it really shouldnt be. I can understand why EA can get away with that crap because NFL and FIFA are massive franchises, but even though F1 has a strong international following I think they are trying trying to push it by trying to turn it into another Madden. On top of that CM as of late have gone full tilt when it comes to carving out DLC from their games just to charge extra. They have been hacking away at the very things that made DIRT great by turning them more into exxxtreme sports slam the monster energy x-games brah and especially the last iteration felt like there were too few rally tracks and settings and the extra ones they had were DLC. Oh ya, but gymkhana, you know how all of us rally guys really wanted that. Then there is Grid 2 which was pretty mediocre, but then again I never cared much for the original Grid

Jabba

Banned
Wow, how many F1 games did we get this gen?

Imo the changes are too little. But i guess a F1 nut would buy them all.

I'm an F1 nut, stopped buying at 2011. Codemasters sucks and every iteration has some game breaking bug in one of the race modes and lengths in each game. Go check their forums for the latest cluster fuck.

They don't always patch the game and when they do it usually breaks something else, which never gets fixed.

@beatnik11
Yeah, I didn't care for grid. Only thing I wanted to do was race at Le Mans in Grid.

Addnan

Senna game is being developed by Reiza. They can actually make car games, I look forward to it, whenever they get round to making it.

Ivan

I just can't believe they still have F1 licence, when does it expire? Just imagine what would Studio Liverpool :( or Polyphony do...

These classic modes sound very cool though...

So shopto have this game on pre-order status now, however:

regular edition is regular price but Classic edition is a whopping £55 lol, I also don't see classic edition for PC.

GAME is not listing it yet.

TJP

Amar?
Ferrari Virtual Academy has the F10 and Ferrari 150° Italia for those looking for a sublime sim to time trial in 8)

I'm glad Shaneus has already posted here; F1 2012 on PC was a clusterf*ck from launch...12 patches and many bullshit excuses from CM later and their game still remains a mess. F1 2013 will need to be flawless for me to buy in a Steam Sale at a heavily discounted price. To think I really enjoyed the first two games in the CM F1 series...

As for where the F1 licence should go: get Geoff Crammond out of retirement!

Shaneus

Looking at this, the only thing I'm remotely tempted by is the classic stuff. But given it's so limited, how will it be implemented? My bet is that it's only in free-play mode and some shitty mode that's little more than an afterthought. Given that there are other games that have as many, if not more cars (pCARS has a few, FM5 has slightly less) for a game dedicated to F1 to have so few is heresy.

smh. RIP F1 games.

I'd go back to F1 CE, it's still the best F1 this gen anyway.
Is that still worth getting? I never played it and only got a PS3 a few years after it came out. If I can find it cheap (and it has G27 support) I might jump in.

Not really tempted to buy this (bought all Codies' F1) unless they improve the handling, the AI and the penalty system.
Apparently they've improved the AI and handling... but then again, those were features of 2012 over 2011, so take that how you will.

Also probably because Reiza currently holds the license for anything Senna related. At least, they're making a game based on his life, so I assume that.

The 2013 cars don’t feel very different to 2012 to me. My very first lap of the game, I went to Time Trial mode, switched all assists off and could push pretty easily. One of my biggest disappointments was that it still seems as though cheesing the setup is the best way to go. 1-1 ride heights and 11-11 spring stiffness make the car quicker without any obvious drawbacks. All the setup options, driving aids, etc are still the same. No TV cameras in replay mode, still. Also no obvious ability to change cars or save in replay mode. No obvious changes to damage either.
BAHAHAHAHA. Oh, don't you ever change, CM.

Wait. Ignore that.

Thanks for the write-up though, JB. You've done well! Shame there's no good news on the, well, *anything* front.

Not seeing anything that indicates it's not a pile shite again

"New game modes" ✓
"Improved handling & AI" ✓

Got to have those box bullet-points in there
Of course. I think it must come as a default thing on the template they use for the box design.

They did say that the 90s would have less of a piss filter than 80s.
Wouldn't be Codies without Piss Filter™.

As for where the F1 licence should go: get Geoff Crammond out of retirement!
Given I can afford whatever the hell I want, I would have no problem with it being console exclusive if it meant someone who wasn't Codemasters would handle it. I'm sticking with my mention of Lucid forming the old F1 '97 team and knocking it out of the park. Damn, that would be HEAVEN.

amar212

Something interesting came out of the Eurogamer preview.

Apparently, they were at the F1 2013 reveal event and had a chance to talk with the Codemasters. At the very end of the article they are asking questions about next-gen versions. This is the answer:

"2014 is a game changer, and it'll be nice for us to change the rulebook for F1 and turn a page to do something very different," says Hood. "Maybe in 12 months we'll be back here talking about that."

"Maybe" is the key word, of course.

Why insecurity? Well, to recall:

- In 2008 Sony decides it will pass a renewal of their exclusive license that lasted for years

- Codemasters signs for "multi-year" and multiplatform license in 2008, with season 2009 being the first they want to develop the game for on "..all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats"

- however, due to development issues, F1 2009 gets released only on PSP, Wii and iOS, developed by Sumo DIgital - while Codemasters Birmingham working on PS3/X360/PC version of the game for 2010. VG Chartz listing says how F1 2009 sold in 1.34M

- F1 2010 becomes a first true "multiplatform" title, but there is one year of potentially "serious sales" already lost. The wikipedia article is citing MCV article (that is not available any more to see) as source for apparent number of 2.3 million units of sales for F1 2010 (also more-less corresponding with the VG Chartz listing)

- F1 2011 is released a year later, 3DS and VIta versions have been included. Sales have not risen according to VG Chartz, staying around 2M mark. It is the last season covered by the license from 2008

- In 2012 Codemasters are signing new "multiplatform, multi-year deal". This cited source pretty much confirmed the VG Chartz numbers cited before: 5.5M figure is pretty much accurate with sales of F1 2009/2010/2011 combined as reported by VGC

- F1 2012 gets released, this time not developed by Studio Birmingham, but in venture with GOGO Games studio. In the same time Birmingham was working on development of spin-off casual title F1 Race Stars and the license is used to develop another entry based on the licensing, browser game called Formula 1 Online:The Game. All three games are released in late 2012. VG Charts reports plummenting results for *big* version, with combined sales falling at 1.3M. F1 Race Stars have even worse results apparently.

During 2013 F1 Race Stars is tried to be saved with making it free to members of PlayStation Plus service (EU Store) as part of the Instant Game Collection offer and attempt to earn some money from DLC content around which F1 Race Stars are created around. In the same time, the F1 Online: The Game service gets terminated in May 2013 because "service did not attract the required number of active players during its beta phase to make it a viable ongoing project".

The only source I could find which explains detail of 2012 renewal is Telegraph, where 2015 is mentioned as final season for the contract, cited as part of the story regarding Codemasters 2012-reported losses and equity deal

So, what does everything teach us?

If VG Chartz results are correct, we can calculate how despite releasing 4 *big* F1 games on various platforms, one casual multiplatform spin-off game and separate online browser service aimed for different audience then *normal* games, the combined results have not reached more than 8M games.

In the same time, under presumption how 2008 story is accurate, Codemasters had to pay around 15M$ annually for the license only, making it whooping 75M$ for the period 2009-2013 (this season included).

So, the aforementioned "maybe" on the beginning of the article gets somewhat more contextualized.

EDIT: I didn't know VGC is banned on NeoGaf, but I used it since it is *accessible* source. You can find the breakdown of cited sales numbers from the official source in my post below (#146). Thanx to Foshy for bringing attention to it.

TJP

Great post Amar.

Just the words 'Formula 1 '97: HD Edition' alone are enough to bring me to instantaneous orgasm.
Fuck yes! The F1 games on the PlayStation were the first time I sampled Bizarre Creations brilliance..actually my now brother-in-law really wanted me to hear Vai and Satriani wailing away on the soundtrack of Formula One and I fell in love with the game. Then Bizarre Creations shit all over their first effort with Formula 1 97 - it so far ahead of the curve at the time with a cockpit camera view complete with driver's tear-offs, better car set-up options and commentary from Martin Brundle and Murray Walker. In GP mode, you got flags, fuel depletion, changing weather conditions and car failures - I still remember the death knell sign of smoke bollowing from the back of the car which got worse before death. F1 '98 followed and with BC no longer at the helm, that game sucked.

I think the only right direction for both parties is for someone else to take on that game.

If we say Sony, which studio will handle the development?

tHoMNZ

the 'driving model' is 100% based on making it playable with a gaming pad. There's no real physics going on. This is why codemasters f1 games will always be shit. Sims have it right, create a realistic sim, and apply aids to make it accessible... but really, you can't drive a car with a gamepad even with tonnes of aids. so basically.. utter shite and extra insulting with 2 SKUs...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Amar?

so he doesn't own the cars, presumably he can't own the drivers, the sponsors are all separate companies, the tracks are all independent tracks. So he just owns the letters F1?

could you create a 'RUF' style approximation of F1 with the component parts without a license?

Foshy

Something interesting came out of the Eurogamer preview.

Apparently, they were at the F1 2013 reveal event and had a chance to talk with the Codemasters. At the very end of the article they are asking questions about next-gen versions. This is the answer:

"Maybe" is the key word, of course.

Why insecurity? Well, to recall:

- In 2008 Sony decides it will pass a renewal of their exclusive license that lasted for years

- Codemasters signs for "multi-year" and multiplatform license in 2008, with season 2009 being the first they want to develop the game for on "..all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats"

- however, due to development issues, F1 2009 gets released only on PSP, Wii and iOS, developed by Sumo DIgital - while Codemasters Birmingham working on PS3/X360/PC version of the game for 2010. VG Chartz listing says how F1 2009 sold in 1.34M

- F1 2010 becomes a first true "multiplatform" title, but there is one year of potentially "serious sales" already lost. The wikipedia article is citing MCV article (that is not available any more to see) as source for apparent number of 2.3 million units of sales for F1 2010 (also more-less corresponding with the VG Chartz listing)

- F1 2011 is released a year later, 3DS and VIta versions have been included. Sales have not risen according to VG Chartz, staying around 2M mark. It is the last season covered by the license from 2008

- In 2012 Codemasters are signing new "multiplatform, multi-year deal". This cited source pretty much confirmed the VG Chartz numbers cited before: 5.5M figure is pretty much accurate with sales of F1 2009/2010/2011 combined as reported by VGC

- F1 2012 gets released, this time not developed by Studio Birmingham, but in venture with GOGO Games studio. In the same time Birmingham was working on development of spin-off casual title F1 Race Stars and the license is used to develop another entry based on the licensing, browser game called Formula 1 Online:The Game. All three games are released in late 2012. VG Charts reports plummenting results for *big* version, with combined sales falling at 1.3M. F1 Race Stars have even worse results apparently.

During 2013 F1 Race Stars is tried to be saved with making it free to members of PlayStation Plus service (EU Store) as part of the Instant Game Collection offer and attempt to earn some money from DLC content around which F1 Race Stars are created around. In the same time, the F1 Online: The Game service gets terminated in May 2013 because "service did not attract the required number of active players during its beta phase to make it a viable ongoing project".

The only source I could find which explains detail of 2012 renewal is Telegraph, where 2015 is mentioned as final season for the contract, cited as part of the story regarding Codemasters 2012-reported losses and equity deal

So, what does everything teach us?

If VG Chartz results are correct, we can calculate how despite releasing 4 *big* F1 games on various platforms, one casual multiplatform spin-off game and separate online browser service aimed for different audience then *normal* games, the combined results have not reached more than 8M games.

In the same time, under presumption how 2008 story is accurate, Codemasters had to pay around 15M$ annually for the license only, making it whooping 75M$ for the period 2009-2013 (this season included).

So, the aforementioned "maybe" on the beginning of the article gets somewhat more contextualized.
Would've been a good post if it weren't for your source. chartzz is completely and utterly inaccurate as they just make up their numbers, there's a reason why it's a banned site on GAF. You might want to look for official numbers somewhere.

amar212

Would've been a good post if it weren't for your source. chartzz is completely and utterly inaccurate as they just make up their numbers, there's a reason why it's a banned site on GAF. You might want to look for official numbers somewhere.

In this particular case those numbers by VGC are completely accurate IMO

EDIT: I didn't know the VGC site is banned, so now I see the links provided are not working. Okay, now to official sources - however, please note I can't link any of these documents I am quoting because they are hosted on GamePress.com portal that have its content put behind the registration.

Official Codemasters press-release for F1 2011 says the following:

...2 million-plus selling F1 2010™...

Official Codemasters press-release for 2012 says the following:

...Since releasing its first FORMULA ONE game in 2009, Codemasters has shipped over 5.5m units...

Second quote is absolutely in line by numbers published by VGC - 1,34M + 2,3M + 2,08M (2009+2010+2011) = 5,72M combined. I see no discrepancy with VGC numbers, coming from the very Codemasters.

There are no numbers published anywhere by VGC for F1 2012, but if they were 100% accurate on previous 3 games, I see no point why wouldn't they be for F1 2012.

2013 Press release does not mention new "combined sales" for the franchise, as previous PR texts did.

However, I went very high in my estimate in original post, saying how series has peaked at 8M since 2009 - which would be greatly optimistic because it would mean how F1 2012 sold at least 2,2M.

So, to conclude, VGC has accurate numbers which are in line by numbers provided by the publisher.

I rest my case here. Since its inception under Codemasters, the F1 series has peaked at 8M combined at best. Put it in perspective with 15M$ annually to cash to Bernie and the leverage for highlight the "maybe" in the Eurogamer article becomes justified.

Top Bottom