• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FABLE 2: Grand Theft Albion-Official info thread

LaneDS

Was disappointed by the first (great game just in typical Molyneux fashion it was hyped to the moon), but this looks to correct a lot of what most people didn't like about the first one. Will be on board most certainly.

Also, I totally see them killing the dog near the end for an easy emotional reaction from the player.

This game continues to look and sound even more impressive.

Gigantic game world - check
Incredible graphics and art - double check
Seems to really be delivering on past promises - check
Faced with tough choices that make it more difficult to be good - check
Combat being improved and has more depth than the first - check
Not afraid to take risks - check

Can't wait.

Final feature of fable 2 not unlocked until final 20 minutes of the game?

Oh well forget I don't even wanna know what it is for fear of being spoiled.

LaneDS said:
Also, I totally see them killing the dog near the end for an easy emotional reaction from the player.

I'll go you one better for cheap emotional manipulation, they'll have it die saving your life.
Then you have to (spoiler for fable 1?)
choose to save it or get the best weapon in the game, amirite?

People in this topic who've never playd Fable and own a 360s, you could do a lot worse than just downloading Fable off of the marketplace.

If you're LTTP, then you probably won't have the venom towards it that the people who bought into the hype before it was released on the Xbox have.

MrNyarlathotep said:
I'll go you one better for cheap emotional manipulation, they'll have it die saving your life.
Then you have to (spoiler for fable 1?)
choose to save it or get the best weapon in the game, amirite?

People in this topic who've never playd Fable and own a 360s, you could do a lot worse than just downloading Fable off of the marketplace.

If you're LTTP, then you probably won't have the venom towards it that the people who bought into the hype before it was released on the Xbox have.

I recommend finding The Lost Chapters for Xbox or PC regardless. They can't be that expensive anymore..

pswii60

ymmv said:
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts : 35+ pages
Fable 2: 3 pages

Hypetrain missed the station?
Banjo Kazooie thread is full of people arguing, hence why it zoomed up so quickly. Not so much arguing going on in this thread.

Onions

ymmv said:

more like:
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts: 35+ pages of shitting on Banjo3 and Crushed vs GAF
Fable2: 3 pages of appreciating Fable2

The Banjo thread is a mess, this one here is quite cozy.

As far as I'm concerned, Fable2 will kick ass. This tine around, Molyneux talks about actual core features like the dog and coop instead of growing grass.
Music, artstyle, atmosphere and graphics are utterly cohesive.
The only thing that bothers me is combat. Rhythm based combat sounds interesting but the actual footage looks a bit random. I haven't seen much combat since the combat demonstration quite some time ago though, which looked good.

Is there any footage with a bit more combat than 2-3 seconds?

What I would absolutely LOVE (and this might be too ambitious, but the cover art seems to imply something along these lines) is if this game takes the good/evil branching paths thing to a whole new level. Like if you could truly become either the savior of the realm or its evil overlord. And not just at the very end of the game, but at a point in the narrative where it could significantly affect gameplay from there on out.

It would be awesome if at one point, you could choose to be good or evil, and if you choose evil, characters who were your allies will now try to overthrow you, and if you choose good, those characters will fight alongside you to overthrow the true evil overlord. Something like that would be amazing.

Onions said:
35+ pages of shitting on Banjo3 and Crushed vs GAF
What's amazing is that he was actually winning for awhile.

ymmv said:

There isn't much one can troll in regards to Fable 2. The game looks downright fantastic.

The Banjo Kazooie thread is as large as it is because some people smelled blood and decided to move in for the kill and boy did they ever move in! :lol

Oh and Onions Molyneux DID talk about growing objects. Growing Acorn tree that is now actually apart of the game's story. :D

WrikaWrek

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
What's amazing is that he was actually winning for awhile.

Then Amirox banned him lol

I don't know, between Banjoo and the Too human thread, there seems to be free reign to shit on 360 games.

Oh well.

Uncle

ymmv said:

Nah, somebody just needs to point out how the lack of clear borders in the world will be really confusing and not at all like the Fable we all loved to play, plus stuff like how Fable wasn't a pet simulation either so why is there a dog, I don't like dog, why aren't they calling this MicroDog: The Playground I don't like this at all looks all wrong and doesn't sound right etiher omg how did this get here I'm not good with computer.

But I won't do it, that's for sure.

The first game was great if you accepted Molyneux was overhyping it from the very beginning and kept your expectations in check.

I keep holding out hope that one day he'll finally make the game he dreams about making... that will be a great day for gaming indeed. In the meantime, I have no doubts that this game will be awesome, if not quite everything he's pitching to us.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/873/873866p1.html

The choices you make not only affect your hero, but the rest of the game world. Early on in Fable 2, you will be given a quest to find five arrest warrants. Once you find them, you can choose to deliver them to the sheriff or hand them over to the band of thieves who are supposed to be arrested. Choose the former and ten years later this dynamic region of Albion will be an affluent neighborhood with no crime and will be a booming trade center. Choose the latter and in ten years you'll find the place has become a slum, rife with crime. Every choice has a consequence in Fable 2.
Hell yeah. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Yeah. Even in the simplest form, a few of those here and there could really add a lot to the game. It gets my anticipation building.

The first one was a good game that ultimately disappointed me. I am still excited about this title and feel like a day 1 purchase. I think the graphics and art style are great.

Prine

Banned
I think for me, if i just battled a boss that the locals are scared of, and i return victorious the villigers should acknowledge this. And this should be echoed amongst the locals every time i return. Needs to be persistent

wayward archer said:
The first game was great if you accepted Molyneux was overhyping it from the very beginning and kept your expectations in check.

I keep holding out hope that one day he'll finally make the game he dreams about making... that will be a great day for gaming indeed. In the meantime, I have no doubts that this game will be awesome, if not quite everything he's pitching to us.

I don't think he is hyping this one near as much as the first which is a good thing I think. I am super excited for this one. I was really excited for the first also but I think I had unreal expectations that aren't there this go around

rune_74

Neo Member
WrikaWrek said:
Then Amirox banned him lol

I don't know, between Banjoo and the Too human thread, there seems to be free reign to shit on 360 games.

Oh well.

They need a mod who is at least interested in the 360.

This game is going to be good, so much was done right in the first one but it had some things missing. No one can deny it was fun as hell though.

Thermite

Green Shinobi said:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/873/873866p1.html

Hell yeah. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Indeed, this was the kind of thing I hoped would be in the original Fable. Even though I consider Fable to be a great game, there weren't many good/evil choices that really affected the world around you -- which was a bit disappointing. With that said, Fable 2 sounds like it's going to have exactly what I was looking for in the original. Hype +1

Also, here's another awesome tidbit from the IGN preview:

At one point in Fable 2, you meet a shadow creature who decides that one person must suffer in order to proceed in a crucial part of a quest. A young, attractive woman wanders into the woods and you are given a choice. One person must be horribly scarred. But will you sacrifice your own face to save this pretty girl or will you let vanity rule your decision? Sure, it could be easy to say you don't care about how you look, but your appearance affects how everyone in Albion reacts to you. Come home to your wife and kids with a mangled face and they will scream with terror. Are you willing to spend the rest of your time in Fable 2 horrifying children? And if not, then you forfeit the happiness of an innocent woman.

HOLY. SHIT. How's this for a morality test? :eek:

Thermite said:

It sounds so awesome. Except i already decided that i would sacrifice my self (or my character if you prefer) if i could even before i finished reading the first sentence.

Edit: The only thing that worries me is that blurb about wanting to cut the female character. So i have to wonder how well will it mesh with the rest of the game.

raYne

Lostconfused said:
It sounds so awesome. Except i already decided that i would sacrifice my self (or my character if you prefer) if i could even before i finished reading the first sentence.
Not me.. Screw that random woman.

Selfishness & vanity ftw!

raYne said:
Not me.. Screw that random woman.

Selfishness & vanity ftw!
Reading too many fantasy novels have turned me into the biggest sucker you could imagine. All these morality choices are a cinch. I just hope there wont be too many of the silly bioware ones where some random npc says "Well we need 500 gold/credits/random ass currency to lead a happy and prosperous life. Wont you help us kind stranger?" and then you have to reply "Why sure, but because i am suck a nice person have 1000 gold/credits/random ass currency".

Oh also, if theres enough time you could always sweet talk that random girl and make her feel horribly guilty because you sacrificed your self for her. Plus there is a random chance of it being "HAHA you made the right choice thats why i actually wont go to work on your face with a rusty butter knife".

But then again it could turn out that theres some jerk just getting his jollies at your expense. Damn that old man and his crazy hairstyle demands that and the inability to break his legs so he couldn't run away.

Edit: I just remembered The Witcher, where half of the time you didn't know the outcome but it always payed of to be a lone brooding badass.

Wow, this turned into a long post.

stotch

Banned
At one point in Fable 2, you meet a shadow creature who decides that one person must suffer in order to proceed in a crucial part of a quest. A young, attractive woman wanders into the woods and you are given a choice. One person must be horribly scarred. But will you sacrifice your own face to save this pretty girl or will you let vanity rule your decision? Sure, it could be easy to say you don't care about how you look, but your appearance affects how everyone in Albion reacts to you. Come home to your wife and kids with a mangled face and they will scream with terror. Are you willing to spend the rest of your time in Fable 2 horrifying children? And if not, then you forfeit the happiness of an innocent woman.

Is it possible to back out of the quest? Good and evil choices are great, but what about the choice to be cowardly and run the hell away.

Thermite

Lostconfused said:

Edit: The only thing that worries me is that blurb about wanting to cut the female character. So i have to wonder how well will it mesh with the rest of the game.

I wonder...let's say you decided to slice this poor girl's face instead of being selfless. How big of an impact will that have on her and eventually you? We know that people will act differently and perceive her differently, but will it change her so much that she'll try to kill you or have you killed later throughout the course of the game? If events happen like this, that would be so freaking awesome.

Since our choices, such as the one described above in Shinobi's post, change the world drastically, I don't see why something like this isn't possible.

KTallguy

Banned
The first one left a bad taste in my mouth, unfortunately... so I'm not sure how I feel about the second one.

Also, when I saw the combat at GDC I was a bit undewhelmed (it looked too much like Too Human).

But, when you start talking about choices affecting the game world in a substantial way (like the whole warrent decision), I get very excited. This is the kind of stuff I want more games (like Fallout) to do.

I'm not "hyped" for the game, but I'm cautiously optimistic. The art style isn't bad at all (and much better than Oblivion, of course).

stotch said:
Is it possible to back out of the quest (I don't want my family to hate me, what if I'm not yet married?)? Fake out the creature with a doll (fairy tale kinda thing). Good and evil are great, but what about smarts or something?
Well thats for developer to decide, what kind of solutions do they want to allow for which situations.
Thermite said:
I wonder...let's say you decided to slice this poor girl's face instead of being selfless. How big of an impact will that have on her and eventually you? We know that people will act differently and perceive her differently, but will it change her so much that she'll try to kill you or have you killed later throughout the course of the game? If events happen like this, that would be so freaking awesome.

Since our choices, such as the one described above in Shinobi's post, change the world drastically, I don't see why something like this isn't possible.

I guess there will be some long term consequence since that seems to be one of the big things in the game, do this and later on it might help you out or bite you on the ass.

Haunted

The Chef said:
Looks so fantastic.

Any word on PC version?
Nothing yet. "Eventually" should be the correct word for now, I believe.

Played the first one on PC (and liked it quite a bit), will do the same with this one. :)

Thermite said:
Indeed, this was the kind of thing I hoped would be in the original Fable. Even though I consider Fable to be a great game, there weren't many good/evil choices that really affected the world around you -- which was a bit disappointing. With that said, Fable 2 sounds like it's going to have exactly what I was looking for in the original. Hype +1

answer: just kill the shadow creature and steal whatever they were going to give you

Prine

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
answer: just kill the shadow creature and steal whatever they were going to give you

zodd.gif

What if Shadow guy is Zodd the Immortal from Berserk? Where cant win

You dont have to fight every Demon King you encounter. Sometimes, there are bigger things going on than you and your adventure all you can do is simply understand this. Nothing else

I absolutely cant wait for this game with all overwhelmingly dark themed games ill be playing: MGS4, GEARS2, R2 it will be so nice to just sit back revel in the phenomenal score and grin everytime I walk into another environment that looks like it was pulled straight out of my childhood fantasies.

stotch

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Well thats for developer to decide, what kind of solutions do they want to allow for which situations.

nelsonroyale said:

This is kind of what I'm talking about. Fighting things in Fable 1 already had a consequence on characters. Maybe I don't feel like being the stoic good guy or the vain bad guy, but feel like saying FU and kicking the creature in the face. The game would give that a consequence just like it would the mangle/not choice, and it would fit my character better.

FrankT

Thermite said:

Absolutely fantastic.

bengraven

I remember liking the world so much when I played Fable 1 that when I finished every tidbit in just 25 hours I thought the Brothers Carter owed me a plane ticket to England so I can sit on their lap and listen to them tell more stories.

Fuckers.

Can't fucking wait for this.

Top Bottom