• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 Review Thread

willbsn13

I'm still mad the Mazda RX-7 Spirit R got unicorn'd after FM2, and is MIA in all the X1 Forza games.

The Spirit R was one of my favorite cars from the older games, I prefer it a lot more than the 97' model they have in the game currently. Here's hoping its in one of the car packs!

driver116

Exactly, very good scores for a corridor racer.

I'll be making this joke for every track racer released from now on.

Who was it who coined the term? I remember it being thrown around in the Driveclub review thread. It seems really stupid as I'm sure many gamers (including me) still prefer track based racing to open world. Forza Horizon and The Crew have only cemented that for me. It seems like the term only serves to offend those who like track racers?

Synth

iAxG6WC5W46d8-uy3LaFEEqcWduTSzFLH3fetMlmyZ5S4ar5WH2PLH2Lu4hbNoWBDSvrdOuFLJtkTi1MAXEj5mQB54MvkN-YBjKc9ll0bPqKBYajlceI7iMZXSLMSPr6XxAgpQmK_WD8cJTxo1HE9UZaD73c6847bvJPq21IaHl9ibD5ABoBkJxuGpJ6slKAU1GfWiWOdERkcq6r-FbDlXkY70g0mkMxGlTZmqF71FTMpkcmACwrSWiCsUlfNso5dgyD2WhBmhRsmBZFZgcKTdmPUnm48PwhXlnS5JFJyZB-cx8pqTtDMXlWGueCoOFinHxAsvlAO0ohLPLM1xxiQtp5gRp3-43ZJJv0TFhHApnD1w7IxcaisWnjlmXeXrPF1Ij2s5llpzso9UqdLCv8lau7esuu2XHI_VVZmqmLPbstCOH9M17_axCnQ3dZVTZRNs-0zOrRNoQnFHFBXSySbfl7guSASCvQGPdj5QJwbdwbEeQ4f6AAzwGnL9N1CxJJiP2tF5sM0rjVtyk4irJYbLd8=w448-h291-no

Sometimes the way you set a joke up, can cause people to misunderstand it.

A next-gen Motorstorm would have had the same issues DC has. The problem with DC, for reviewers, is they haven't moved far enough away from the formula of Motorstorm when driving games should have tuning configurations, rewind feature, and probably be open-world.

Now that's a review. I think today's reviewers are pandering too much to the perceived need for every game to fit a certain template of content and experience. Live a little reviewers, enjoy games for being different.

FM6 was always safe though, because:

Titles with legacy won't have a problem.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
The Spirit R was one of my favorite cars from the older games, I prefer it a lot more than the 97' model they have in the game currently. Here's hoping its in one of the car packs!

Same here.

I was also crushed the Toyota GT-ONE TS020 (it's a nostalgia pick from the old Xbox racing game APEX) was left out of FM5 and relegated to DLC. Another reason I skipped FM5! Then when I read the blurb about the Peugeot 905 when it was revealed and it suddenly said "The update was wildly successful, as EVOs swept the podium in 1993 ahead of the very quick Toyota TS010 GT-ONE" I got excited and hoped again for the TS020 to be revealed. Lo and behold, it's back in the base game of Forza 6! It was revealed in the same post as the 905.

I'm so on the fence with the Forza 6 console bundle. I want it, but wonder if I wait if there will be another game included. MS has been running tons of deals, but only on systems available.

I bought the gears bundle to get the two free extra (physical to boot) games on labor day. I'm going to TRY to exchange the console itself for the Forza bundle I have preordered. If they force me to give the games back with it, then I'll hold onto the Forza bundle unopened for a few weeks to see if another free game deal kicks in, at which point I'll return and repurchase it to get the free games.

It's all about patience. I can wait a week or two to play Forza if it means free games. Hopefully the console exchange trick works. Then I can sell the free games (Witcher 3 and AssCreed Unity) to make the Forza bundle's price essentially $340 instead of $400.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-jQCNeJgU

Damnit I want the matte-finish Elite console too, but this one is just so damned sexy.

Discusguy

Who was it who coined the term? I remember it being thrown around in the Driveclub review thread. It seems really stupid as I'm sure many gamers (including me) still prefer track based racing to open world. Forza Horizon and The Crew have only cemented that for me. It seems like the term only serves to offend those who like track racers?

I think the term corridor racer only came into play because people were comparing DC graphics to Horizon 2. No reason for DC to be 30fps racer when Horizon 2 was 30fps.

I'll take FM6 silky smooth 60pfs corridor racing any day. Corridor racing done right.

Synth

I don't see any problem with those quotes? They seem very reasonable.

Well, they read (along with most of your other posts in the DC review thread) like the reason for its lower scores has more to do with it not being a specific sort of racer (i.e. FH2) rather than failings of its own... which kinda goes against the joke you're making, unless I'm misunderstanding it?

The last quote there about "titles with legacy" was a direct reply to someone in regards to Forza 6.

With points being deducted from Driveclub because of the lack of story and the inability to go off-road, how many points will be deducted from Forza 6?
Titles with legacy won't have a problem.

It certainly seems like you though the game being a "corridor racer" was affecting its scores, and that Forza 6's scores would be protected by legacy (which worked great for Forza 5 btw), rather than simply being an actual really good corridor racer.

Do you plan to make this same joke in every track racer review thread, even if they don't get "very good scores" btw?

Gratz to T10 for making another solid game!

BTW, I have noticed that there has not been a single racing game this gen to get at 90+ metascore.
Forza 6 is currently tied with mario kart 8 with an 88 meta. I wonder if Forza 7, or GT7, or maybe even NFS can make the hurdle this gen.

ruxtpin

Banned
I bought the gears bundle to get the two free extra (physical to boot) games on labor day. I'm going to TRY to exchange the console itself for the Forza bundle I have preordered. If they force me to give the games back with it, then I'll hold onto the Forza bundle unopened for a few weeks to see if another free game deal kicks in, at which point I'll return and repurchase it to get the free games.

It's all about patience. I can wait a week or two to play Forza if it means free games. Hopefully the console exchange trick works. Then I can sell the free games (Witcher 3 and AssCreed Unity) to make the Forza bundle's price essentially $340 instead of $400.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-jQCNeJgU

Damnit I want the matte-finish Elite console too, but this one is just so damned sexy.

Yeah. I'm not home right now anyway so I can't play even if I did have it coming my way. Waiting and hoping for another game or two if I wait a couple of weeks.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The instance where he dismisses the physics and handling as being inaccurate I found to be not true. The particular instance where he cited it wouldn't happen in real life I have actually seen happen, at least based on the way he describes it.

He refers to 90%, or somewhere close to that, of the races being boring In regards to the types of cars/races. There are various game modes where he can race whatever he wants. If he spent 90% of the time being bored that is his own fault. He could have spent 100% of his time on the 10% he enjoyed.

Lastly, the AI comments I also find to be untrue in my experience with the demo.

So are you saying he is lying about the AI or physics? I ask because you said his comments were factually untrue. Like he thought it was fine and just made up his complaints? Because if not, then that comes down to a difference of experience.

He spent his time in career mode, which is where a lot of people will spend their time. Nothing wrong with reviewing a game as it is.

I'm not meaning to get on you, I just find it strange that fans basically demand reviewers find a way to like a game or they are stupid idiots who have no business reviewing it.

cakely

I wince every time I read it. I have to give the guy credit though, it was so ridiculous it became memorable and it stuck.

Maybe we can start calling FPS that aren't set in an open world "racing circuit shooters".

ghibli99

Did Project Cars not? I thought that was a thing. I could be wrong.
Oddly, I didn't like this aspect of pCARS, since I like the unlocking/progression mechanic from most racing game campaigns, and have felt for years that FM strikes the right balance (at least with 3 and 4, which I put the most time into). I'm probably in the minority, though.

I wince every time I read it. I have to give the guy credit though, it was so ridiculous it became memorable and it stuck.

Maybe we can start calling FPS that aren't set in an open world "racing circuit shooters".

I was under the impression is wasn't so much a track issue, more the walled in environments.

A track such as Long Beach is a corridor compared to the likes Silverstone or Yas Marina with massive run-off areas.

If there is one racing franchise that gets me excited, its Forza. They continue to put out quality titles in a timely fashion. Turn 10+Playground Games is a phenomenal combo. In my opinion Forza has become the best racing franchise when it comes to quality.

cakely

I was under the impression is wasn't so much a track issue, more the walled in environments.

A track such as Long Beach is a corridor compared to the likes Silverstone or Yas Marina with massive run-off areas.

It was a ridiculous attempt to make racing games that weren't Forza Horizons 2 look a little worse.

So are you saying he is lying about the AI or physics? I ask because you said his comments were factually untrue. Like he thought it was fine and just made up his complaints? Because if not, then that comes down to a difference of experience.

He spent his time in career mode, which is where a lot of people will spend their time. Nothing wrong with reviewing a game as it is.

I'm not meaning to get on you, I just find it strange that fans basically demand reviewers find a way to like a game or they are stupid idiots who have no business reviewing it.

I'm not saying that he's lying at all. It's just that he, in my opinion, did a really poor job explaining his viewpoint. More specifically:

AI: his claims go against my experience and pretty much every other review I've read. I don't doubt that his experience is genuine, but the explanation is severely lacking.

Physics: The exact case that he claims would not happen in real life does indeed happen in real life based on his description. Additionally, there is much empirical evidence towards the physics engine being quite good. If his opinion is going to go against this I feel that a more detailed explanation is required. It's like saying: "The sky is blue, that would never happen in real life" and leaving it at that.

90% boring/10% fun races: The author made this statement referring to his entire experience and complained about not being able to race to his liking. If this is indeed true to him only racing career mode, which I believe it is, then he should state this clearly in his review. I read reviews for insights on games and this insight makes it seem like you are stuck doing this with minimal other options which is not the case.

As a fan and gamer I by no means expect a reviewer, or any opinion, to conform or hit a certain perception. That would defeat the whole point of the process. However, in this case I simply found the review itself quite poor. I'm certain it is an honest score based on his experience and opinions of the game it is just that the write up and explanation leaves much to be desired. I've also seen glowing reviews for games out there that sound like press releases with high score attached to them. These are equally poor in my opinion for very similar reasons.

aaronwt

Not surprised. Forza is the best Racing game series ever

I want this game so bad especially that Horizon 2 disappointed me

God bless Turn 10

I thought Horizon 2 was everything and more than I expected. I actually like it better than the Forza Motorsport series because of the open world aspect.

eastx

I thought Horizon 2 was everything and more than I expected. I actually like it better than the Forza Motorsport series because of the open world aspect.

Same here, although I'm very into Fora 6 right now. I think I'm just a big fan of both series, although the open world and personality of Horizon will always give that series the edge.

Hanmik

GTplanet just posted a review..

https://www.gtplanet.net/forza-moto...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Conclusion

Forza 5, despite being one of the most impressive launch titles yet seen, wasn’t a must-have title for a lot of people. It’s not entirely the game’s fault, as it was a follow-up to an incredibly strong title from the last generation (Forza 4).

Forza 6 rights nearly every criticism levelled at Forza 5, doubling the car count and nearly doing the same for the tracks, while further improving the physics engine. Not only that, but it adds the much-requested weather and night features while maintaining its commitment to 1080p/60fps. The career progression is a little linear off the bat, the weather isn’t dynamic in the face of the competition, but you’ll be having too much fun in this love ballad to the automobile to care too much. Forza 6 is firing on all cylinders, and this is absolutely a must-have title for 2015.

Top Bottom