• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Hasn't Even Hired a Lead Writer or Game Designer Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Obvious. The trailer was just like anything you can find from a talented youtuber. No plot whatsoever and litterally just a way of saying that there will eventually be a Fable game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
MS buying studios seems like a dog catching up with cars he's chasing.

WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM ??

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What an absolte embarassement.

truth411

Those are plans so not set in stone. Uncharted 4, Days Gone, TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima have all been delayed. And we should expect Sony first party games to not being delayed despite track record of the contrary, a new hardware and Covid19 ?
Halo isnt being delayed solely because of covid, its been rocky development for them, they've also had turnover in leadership. (Its been in development for almost 5 years). Not too mention there designing the game to run on multiple platforms. Xbox one S, X, series S, X and P.C. (meaning) various configurations.
IN contrast.
Sony is focusing on the PS5 and thats it, one version.
Also isn't Horizon 2 being developed in Amsterdam? There not in the same situation as America is right now.
Also non of the games you mention were delayed for a year, just a couple of months. A year delay post fallout of the reveal combine with an almost 5 year dev cycle means there is more going on than whats being said.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

Xbox is dooooooooomed. Seriously, this is looking like the few first years of the PS3. Powerful, but no gaemes.

Grinchy

Banned
Obvious. The trailer was just like anything you can find from a talented youtuber. No plot whatsoever and litterally just a way of saying that there will eventually be a Fable game.

Yeah, it was really just a more expensive version of Nintendo putting up a title card for Metroid Prime 4 to get people excited for something that hasn't even started real development yet. They could have just said "we are working on a Fable game" and we'd know just as much about it as we do now from the CGI video they paid some company to make for them.

I really don't think they should have teased a game so far out. I think release might be in 2023 at the earliest.

Them 'showing' Fable hints that they don't have much else to show.

Teslerum

Wasn't the game in development or rumoured for 2 years, wtf is going on there??

The games studio has been opened last year if thats what you mean. Also they do have a writer and they certainly already have game designers. They're looking for leads (And as already mentioned a Lead Script Writer, not the actual Lead Writer/Narrative Director. BTW: Concepts, including a rough story outline are often made by a game's director, not any writer).

Fact is for everyone going crazy this shouldn't be a surprise considering the studio opened in April 2019. Realistically they are probably nearing the end of pre-production and are now ramping up for development.

If it’s supposedly THAT early, why even announce it? I understand they want to generate hype and excitement, but I’m calling 2024 to 2025 for this one. I’m honestly feeling like they just started working on all their next generation stuff in early 2020 and that’s being generous.

Tulipanzo

The games studio has been opened last year if thats what you mean. Also they do have a writer and they certainly already have game designers. They're looking for leads (And as already mentioned a Lead Script Writer, not the actual Lead Writer/Narrative Director. BTW: Concepts, including a rough story outline are often made by a game's director, not any writer).

Fact is for everyone going crazy this shouldn't be a surprise considering the studio opened in April 2019. Realistically they are probably nearing the end of pre-production and are now ramping up for development.
Work on a new Fable has been rumoured for two years.

Furthermore, while the new studio opened last year, work for expansion had started well before then.

For NOTHING of the game to exist at this point is odd. It becomes embarrassing in the context of how little MS has to show for their SeX.

TBiddy

They started hiring two years ago, including (as you say) a Narrative Director and other senior employees, so the notion that this gentleman brought forward was.. well, plain ridiculous. If one takes a peek through their Twitter-history, there's a lot of tweets showing new hires.

So they featured a game during their spotlight that DOESN’T HAVE ANYONE WORKING ON IT YET?

Last edited:

Teslerum

Also a question to this entire thread: What?

I mean didn't the St. Alban's House thread have tons of pages where people were discussing the new studio including ones that act shocked in here now? Why is anyone here surprised that Fable isn't that far along when the Studio was opened, again, in April 2019.

And its clear why it was announced, because up to that point it was more than an open secret what the new Playground Studio was working on and been talked to death. Including on these forums. They might as well have announced it now.

Teslerum

Work on a new Fable has been rumoured for two years.

Furthermore, while the new studio opened last year, work for expansion had started well before then.

For NOTHING of the game to exist at this point is odd.

And who's saying that? Of course things already exist. Nothing final and to show for though.

And work for expansion does not equal much work on game. They need to find property, buy property, buy licenses, buy office equipment, install everything, handle logistics and contracts, implement key personel and make them familiar with the company's values.

I can almost guarantee you that not much happened on the game itself before the opening of the studio apart from brainstorming sessions, notes and sketches. Initial work.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
If it’s supposedly THAT early, why even announce it? I understand they want to generate hype and excitement, but I’m calling 2024 to 2025 for this one. I’m honestly feeling like they just started working on all their next generation stuff in early 2020 and that’s being generous.
It's what MS does when they don't have anything to show and don't want it to be obvious that they have nothing.

They even pretended they were putting out a full-fledged version of Minecraft for Hololens during an E3 conference because they had so little real content for their gaming division. Everyone remembers Sony using a CGI teaser for Killzone 2 in 2005, but the long list of Microsoft bullshitting somehow gets overlooked.

What's seriously going on at MS right now? So this game is coming over 2023 or later then right? If so, why showcase it before the XSX console even launches?

They have a history of showing trailers for games that don't exist. It's not a coincidence that there was so much CGI at their showcase.

Going into next-gen, they needed as much hype as possible. So I'm guessing the thinking was "Show anything and everything." The Halo Infinite delay has deflated their hype balloon, so it will be interesting to see if they show another CG trailer for a game that doesn't exist.

Gorki247

More speculation. Strange how after the reveal there were all these people finally able to confirm they were working on Fable, including some writers and game designers. But sure, Playground hasn't hired anyone yet.

• Creative director – Ralph Fulton
  • Chief designer – Will Kennedy
  • Principle game designer – Juan Fernández de Simón
  • Level design director – Craig Littler
  • Senior game designer – Grant Orban
  • Game desinger - Alice Winter
  • Lead quest designer – Hunter Wright
  • Narrative director – Martin Lancaster
  • Audio director – Douglas Watson
  • Principle Audio Desinger - Zachary Quarles
  • Lead environment artist – Adam Olsson
  • Principle environment artist – Scotty Brown
  • Lead character artist – Tom Isaksen
  • Lead animator – Simon Bean
  • Cinematic director – Mark Tan
  • Lead technical animator – Harry Gladwin-Geoghegan
  • Lead technical artist – Mike Pickton
  • Lead FX artist – Brian Merrill
  • Lead gameplay engineer – John Baker
  • UI lead – Joe Mckernan
  • Senior producer – Ian Mitchell
  • Production director – Sean Eyestone
  • Senior Writer - Kim MacAskill
  • Writer - Rebecca Haigh
and those are only the ones that confirmed they are working on the game.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Please enjoy this CGI trailer for 4 years.

This is why the Xbox showcase was bad, too much CGI trailers, many far far away.

Roufianos

How do you basically release fuck all for your last console for a number of years but still have nothing ready for the new one?

Also, Phil teased this game at least 2 years ago when he said Playground were working on an open world game outside of Forza, how has progress been that slow?

thelastword

Banned
Halo Infinite: Launch title delayed to next year.
Everwild: devs aren't sure what the fuck they're doing
Fable: Just started hiring key positions for the staff

SquareEnix would be proud.
Yet, that's not what the media told us. I read many articles from Forbes saying that XBOX was way ahead of the competition in readiness for next gen....

Fable doesn't have a full development team. And Rare is still discussing gameplay ideas for Everwild. And Ninja Theory just decided Hellblade 2 will be set in Iceland. And Forza Motorsport is in early development. And Avowed is just a concept because Obsidian just shipped a game in 2019 and another one in 2020...
Crazy enough, it's MS and it's fans setting themselves up for the fall and the massive negative reaction, because they hype anything, things that don't even exist or a formed yet. Look at how some fans and even the media are hyping Avowed as some Elder scrolls killer or equivalent. A game where they've seen no gameplay, just a CG teaser. There is no end to it....
Another mic drop from Microsoft goddamn.

There was supposed to be two mic drops right? Who said that anyway, where is he? Is Halo and Fable news what he was talking about? It's just crazy this whole time MS is talking about 12TF and we have seen nothing from the console......Are there issues with the hardware too? There is certainly more to these stories....

Forza which is normally a regular is no where in site, that trailer they showed was indicative of them being behind in development. The Hellblade 2 trailer was a movie at 24fps, don't expect anything Hellblade for at least two years. People forget the first hellblade was delayed a tonne too. Well fable was CGI which was clue enough, there was absolutely nothing there, it reminded me of the old Radeon and Nvidia demos back in the day. Avowed a CG trailer, and let's be honest, none of these games will look like their trailers when they release.....Halo actually had many people fooled that the deers in the forest, the first trailer would be in-game, but you see what we got and people still hype these trailers. If Halo isn't ready, if Fable isn't ready after being rumored for so long. If Forza isn't ready being an annual production. There is much more to it than Covid. MS is totally unprepared here. It's no wonder they are pushing crossgen games, BC and gamepass so fiercely and sadly some koolaid drinkers are slurping it up and calling MS PRO Consumer for pushing these, whilst other manufacturers give you next gen looking games are seen as anti-consumer. What a weird world....

kuncol02

Banned
More speculation. Strange how after the reveal there were all these people finally able to confirm they were working on Fable, including some writers and game designers. But sure, Playground hasn't hired anyone yet.

• UI lead – Joe Mckernan
  • Writer - Rebecca Haigh
I think it's time for mods to ban people spreading fud like OP. That site is slowly turning unbarable with all that fud spread about everything MS does. Maybe it's time to rename it into SonyFanboyGAF?

Teslerum

• UI lead – Joe Mckernan
  • Writer - Rebecca Haigh
Great post.

ripeavocado

Banned
of course it is, the studio was developing Racing games, they needed to upgrade the tech and gameplay systems before anything else.

It may be 2 years away or more realistically 3.

5 if they fuck things up.

Hudo

Maybe some MS studios have too much freedom? I've been hearing the same thing about whatever this thing is that Rare are developing. That they basically still have to "find the game" in this world they have built.

Data Ghost

This game is very little outside of the CGI trailer you saw during the Xbox presentation. They just needed to be able to put the word 'Fable' on the screen for you.

this FUD thread still going on?

here's an article from JANUARY 2018, where not only a significant portion of playground games, but also top people from all around the industry were hired

hell, here's another one from 2017 where they state some of the top talent they already had recruited

people like the level designer of Grand Theft Auto V , Arkham Knight's narrative director, lead scriptwriter and cinematic director, lead designers from hellblade and borderlands, people from naughty dog, gearbox, bioware etc.

here's a list of some people:

• Creative director – Ralph Fulton (Forza Horizon series)
  • Chief designer – Will Kennedy (GTA V and Online)
  • Principle game designer – Juan Fernández de Simón (Hellblade)
  • Level design director – Craig Littler (Forza Horizon series)
  • Senior game designer – Grant Orban (Forza Horizon series)
  • Lead quest designer – Hunter Wright (Borderlands 2 and 3)
  • Narrative director – Martin Lancaster (Batman Arkham series)
  • Audio director – Douglas Watson (Forza Horizon series)
  • Lead environment artist – Adam Olsson (The Division 2)
  • Principle environment artist – Scotty Brown (Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 2)
  • Lead character artist – Tom Isaksen (Ghost Recon Wildlands, Hitman Contracts)
  • Lead animator – Simon Bean (Dambuster, Exient)
  • Cinematic director – Mark Tan (Batman Arkham Knight)
  • Lead technical animator – Harry Gladwin-Geoghegan (Forza Horizon 3 and 4)
  • Lead technical artist – Mike Pickton (Tom Clancy’s The Division)
  • Lead FX artist – Brian Merrill (Ready At Dawn)
  • Lead gameplay engineer – John Baker (Forza Horizon series)
  • UI lead – Joe Mckernan (Horizon Zero Dawn)
  • Senior producer – Ian Mitchell (Star Wars: Battlefront 2)
  • Production director – Sean Eyestone (Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5)
studio is 200 strong since almost two years, and keeps expanding.

So, I have a question I want answered: WTH is wrong with some of you? you get a kick out of spewing bullshit all the time or what?

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Maybe some MS studios have too much freedom? I've been hearing the same thing about whatever this thing is that Rare are developing. That they basically still have to "find the game" in this world they have built.

Yeah, you've been hearing. So has everybody else.

All the dude from Rare said is that they're still playing around with gameplay ideas. Oh no! The horror! The devs are developing. Say it ain't so.

How do you think games are made? Writing it all down paper before you begin development, then following that plan exactly without alterations?

Hudo

Yeah, you've been hearing. So has everybody else.

All the dude from Rare said is that they're still playing around with gameplay ideas. Oh no! The horror! The devs are developing. Say it ain't so.

How do you think games are made? Writing it all down paper before you begin development, then following that plan exactly without alterations?
Chill dude, dunno why you're so aggressive but I know how (most) games are made. I know that there's a lot of iteration, I've been suffering from that in the past actually, when designers decided to change stuff...

In any case, that they are trying things out is not the issue, I welcome that. But how it was worded was that they don't have a guy or girl in charge who's keeping the vision and focus. Even if you're iterating like crazy and trying stuff out, there should be someone who knows which direction to go at least.

Kimahri

Banned
Chill dude, dunno why you're so aggressive but I know how (most) games are made. I know that there's a lot of iteration, I've been suffering from that in the past actually, when designers decided to change stuff...

In any case, that they are trying things out is not the issue, I welcome that. But how it was worded was that they don't have a guy or girl in charge who's keeping the vision and focus. Even if you're iterating like crazy and trying stuff out, there should be someone who knows which direction to go at least.
Lol, sorry, didn't intend to chew your head off. I jut get the feeling people are jumping to a lot of conclusions lately.

Topfuel

This is a nice development insight into Horizon that also can be applied to MS game development:

Hudo

Lol, sorry, didn't intend to chew your head off. I jut get the feeling people are jumping to a lot of conclusions lately.
No worries, I (now) get why one might be annoyed after reading a couple of hottakes and my post before could be categorized as such...
It was more an attempt at a bad joke.

This is a nice development insight into Horizon that also can be applied to MS game development:

Thanks for the video!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom