• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable might have been scaled down due to engine issues and lack of wrpg expertise. Could release later than expected.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I’ve high hopes for this despite initial reservations. Fable is the only game that Microsoft, Bethesda and ABK have announced that I’m interested in so I have a lot riding on it in terms of what I want from Xbox.
I definitely think it was announced far too soon, and I have concerns about the humour, but I’m wishing the whole team well and want to will this into a strong existence

The news that Eidos Montreal is involved raises questions as to why Microsoft didn’t buy the western SE studios.
They are in the middle of the ABK deal or im certain they would of bought those studios. It only make sense how cheap they were and how close they are working with their own studios.

Ozriel

M$FT
Somehow only just clocked that Edios Montreal have become involved? What the fuck MS. Simply what. the. fuck.

How does this make any sense?

Might as well attack MS for hiring devs for Playground’s second team.

A whole long thread about how Playground would need devs with RPG/Third person experience and you’re somehow unhappy that Playground is engaging experienced developers to build out an expansive, open world RPG?

I definitely think it was announced far too soon, and I have concerns about the humour, but I’m wishing the whole team well and want to will this into a strong existence

Again, it was announced about 2.5 years ago. Why do we keep having these posts that pretend there’s a hard and fast rule about length of time between announcement and gameplay deep dive?

Banjo64

cumsessed
How does this make any sense?

Might as well attack MS for hiring devs for Playground’s second team.

A whole long thread about how Playground would need devs with RPG/Third person experience and you’re somehow unhappy that Playground is engaging experienced developers to build out an expansive, open world RPG?

Please spare me the drivel.

I read that The Initiative was always supposed to be a small team and would need support, hence why CD was brought on board. No need to panic.

Now PG have been working on Fable since 2017, have been recruiting since then and have the main PG studio to tap in to (alongside all of Microsoft’s first party studios) and now you want me to believe that it’s perfectly normal that they’d need not just agency staff, but the entirety of Edios Montreal?

Laughable. This is laughable from Xbox. You trying to normalise it is laughable. Embarrassing.

Again, it was announced about 2.5 years ago. Why do we keep having these posts that pretend there’s a hard and fast rule about length of time between announcement and gameplay deep dive?
There isn’t a hard and fast rule, but the longer it is just makes the wait worse.

IMO the two best reveals last gen were Horizon and GOW 2018. Both were extended gameplay. Spider-Man got a gameplay demo a year after release.

In the past Spencer spoke about not wanting to do reveals years away from release yet here we are with many Xbox games.

I don’t care which publisher does it, but I think announcements too far out are a turn off.

Ozriel

M$FT
Please spare me the drivel.

I read that The Initiative was always supposed to be a small team and would need support, hence why CD was brought on board. No need to panic.

Now PG have been working on Fable since 2017, have been recruiting since then and have the main PG studio to tap in to (alongside all of Microsoft’s first party studios) and now you want me to believe that it’s perfectly normal that they’d need not just agency staff, but the entirety of Edios Montreal?

Laughable. This is laughable from Xbox. You trying to normalise it is laughable. Embarrassing.

Every big AAA production uses outside help. Usually it’s support pulled from sister studios.

From MS point of view, it makes more sense to use idle dev talent from Eidos Montreal vs pull internal devs from their own projects to support Playground.

Not my fault you’re close-minded about this.

There isn’t a hard and fast rule, but the longer it is just makes the wait worse.

IMO the two best reveals last gen were Horizon and GOW 2018. Both were extended gameplay. Spider-Man got a gameplay demo a year after release.

No hard and fast rule. Elden Ring, for example, didn’t get a gameplay trailer until 2 years post announcement.

In the past Spencer spoke about not wanting to do reveals years away from release yet here we are with many Xbox games.

Different realities come to play when you’re kicking off a new generation. Showing people stuff that they can expect to play over the course of the generation is understandable.

Ozriel

M$FT
why green influencers are trying to dismiss the "MS/Xbox are bad at studios/brand Management" and at the same time, see Acti-Blizz acquisition as MS flexing over evil Sony who is afraid to compete and innovate? .

Playground games made 5 well received AAA racing games in 11 years. I’m not sure how you’re going to spin them as ‘mismanaged’ but I’m sure you’ll give it a try.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Sad Doctor Who GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
Every big AAA production uses outside help. Usually it’s support pulled from sister studios.

From MS point of view, it makes more sense to use idle dev talent from Eidos Montreal vs pull internal devs from their own projects to support Playground.

Not my fault you’re close-minded about this.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Should be easy for you to name 10 examples of entire studios being bought on board from Sony or Nintendo if it’s such a mainstream practice (without using Google).

What you’re trying to convince people of here, is that Playground’s second team and The Intitiative aren’t even teams at all, but half teams (or less). I don’t know what Microsoft’s angle is with any of this - but it looks amateurish all day long.

Kimahri

Banned
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Should be easy for you to name 10 examples of entire studios being bought on board from Sony or Nintendo if it’s such a mainstream practice (without using Google).

What you’re trying to convince people of here, is that Playground’s second team and The Intitiative aren’t even teams at all, but half teams (or less). I don’t know what Microsoft’s angle is with any of this - but it looks amateurish all day long.
Can you point me in the direction of where it is confirmed the entirety of Eidos is working on this?

It looks amateurish to amateurs.

Top Bottom