• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable might have been scaled down due to engine issues and lack of wrpg expertise. Could release later than expected.

Ozriel

M$FT
Sounds to me like your making excuses. If Microsofts most ardent fans and supporters keep giving them free passes for their numerous titles currently locked in some form of development hell, then things will never change. Im an xbox fan, im not looking at this as a a great gotcha moment for my favorite brand playstation (they have their own problems). I want them to succeed. They have many exciting projects in the work, but nearly all the news and rumors that have come out of these projects so far have been about how they are being mismanaged, or having engine issues ect… this wouldn’t be so bad if we got more regular updates and trailers for these games but we dont.

Nobody cares if you’re an Xbox fan or not. There’s no indication that the game is in ‘development hell’ at all, and first hand interviews with a former dev painted a rosy picture.

So no, I’m not ‘making excuses’ for Fable. I’m pointing out your weird handwringing. I think Xbox needs to improve their marketing practices but I’m not sure they really have to show off games on your schedule.

So here we are, two years after the cg teaser for fable with nothing to show for it but negative rumors.

Isn’t that Your fault for believing a rumor that’s incredibly outlandish?
They really should have thought up something other than “MS is forcing devs not to use UE” when MS first party is probably making The heaviest use of UE in the industry.

It is actively frustrating as an xbox fan to watch sony and nintendo release games in a post covid world without a problem but for Microsoft its a huge issue.

That’s a naive read of things, since Sony had delays for a lot of their AAA titles, post COVID. We’re talking about the same Nintendo that had their flagship 2022 game delayed for half a year?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Nobody cares if you’re an Xbox fan or not. There’s no indication that the game is in ‘development hell’ at all, and first hand interviews with a former dev painted a rosy picture.

So no, I’m not ‘making excuses’ for Fable. I’m pointing out your weird handwringing. I think Xbox needs to improve their marketing practices but I’m not sure they really have to show off games on your schedule.

Isn’t that Your fault for believing a rumor that’s incredibly outlandish?
They really should have thought up something other than “MS is forcing devs not to use UE” when MS first party is probably making The heaviest use of UE in the industry.

That’s a naive read of things, since Sony had delays for a lot of their AAA titles, post COVID. We’re talking about the same Nintendo that had their flagship 2022 game delayed for half a year?
Lets just agree to disagree otherwise this will never end lol

Raven77

Is it possible that MS is showing us how a big game company behaves after moving to a completely new distribution model?

All of our preconceived notions of how they "should" be acting might no longer be valid due to Game Pass. If their concern is getting and keeping subscribers, and NOT getting people to buy their games, do they need to endlessly hype their releases? Do they need to release ground breaking, incredible, high rated games anymore?

Maybe there's been a paradigm shift and we're not realizing it yet. MS might be aiming for 4-5 good games a year and 5-6 decent games instead of 1-2 AAA blockbusters.

This might explain Halo Infinite being good but sub par to many players. Might also explain them not seeming to care much about not showing off any of their "big" titles.

They just don't need to. They'll keep racking up subscribers and selling tons of consoles even without God of War level games.

So the actual head of Xbox Game Studios says the game is looking amazing and he wants to show it now and every other Xbox exec who has seen it seems to be blown away, but they are respecting Playground's wishes on when they want to reveal it, but people will believe some random dude? 🤔

Lol.

Ozriel

M$FT
Is it possible that MS is showing us how a big game company behaves after moving to a completely new distribution model?

All of our preconceived notions of how they "should" be acting might no longer be valid due to Game Pass. If their concern is getting and keeping subscribers, and NOT getting people to buy their games, do they need to endlessly hype their releases? Do they need to release ground breaking, incredible, high rated games anymore?

Maybe there's been a paradigm shift and we're not realizing it yet. MS might be aiming for 4-5 good games a year and 5-6 decent games instead of 1-2 AAA blockbusters.

This might explain Halo Infinite being good but sub par to many players. Might also explain them not seeming to care much about not showing off any of their "big" titles.

They just don't need to. They'll keep racking up subscribers and selling tons of consoles even without God of War level games.

This site mints new jesters everyday.

Their games are still sold at retail, and sell millions on Steam. Revenue remains important. They showed off multiple upcoming AAA games at the last E3 and their last AAA releases had significant marketing. 3 AAA games already announced for H1 2023 and you’re here speculating that MS is moving away from AAA development.

All this because they’re choosing to reserve gameplay reveals for big showcase events?

You certainly don’t need to be Sherlock to find the tons of articles about Playground hiring extensively for Fable, with tons of industry RPG veterans involved in the game.

Or even to know that devs have historically pivoted to making different genres. From Guerilla games turning away from the previous exclusively FPS focus to making Horizon Zero Dawn. Or Double Helix going from Army Men to Killer Instinct, their first ever fighting game.

When the game was pitched in 2017, Microsoft didn’t own those 4 studios. Unless you think they’ve mastered time travel…

I can think of at one studio they owned then who have made a lot of action/adventure games, are famous for quirky UK-style humour present in Fable games, and haven't shipped a full game in a while...

Ozriel

M$FT
I can think of at one studio they owned then who have made a lot of action/adventure games, are famous for quirky UK-style humour present in Fable games, and haven't shipped a full game in a while...

Rare? that was busy with the Sea of Thieves launch back in 2017 and working round the clock to add content to the title? and at the same time were doing preliminary work on Everwild?

Am I being trolled here?

Rare? that was busy with the Sea of Thieves launch back in 2017 and working round the clock to add content to the title? and at the same time were doing preliminary work on Everwild?

Am I being trolled here?

Yeah, Rare is a perfect dev for Fable.

I'm pretty sure they're still only doing preliminary work on Everwild, lots of time since Sea of Thieves to get going on a Fable game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fable was an average game, so that would be consistent.
Horrible average. I bought it for the PC when it launched after hearing all the praise from console gamers at the time. Man, I wish I can still get a refund to this day :pie_roffles:

Felt like a Fisher Price 'My First RPG.' Especially after already knee deep in RPGs on the PC at the time with so much more robust systems, etc..

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Double Fine I would think

Double Fine was purchased in 2019.

That’s later than 2017.

Yeah, Rare is a perfect dev for Fable.

I'm pretty sure they're still only doing preliminary work on Everwild, lots of time since Sea of Thieves to get going on a Fable game.

Fable was pitched in 2017 to Phil Spencer.

In 2017, Rare was wholly focused on Sea of Thieves.

You’re saying MS should have accepted the pitch, supported Playground to hire 100+ devs for their second team and then taken the game away from them to give to Rare, canceling Everwild in the process? Basically putting out one game instead of two?

Lol

Thebonehead

Banned
Horrible average. I bought it for the PC when it launched after hearing all the praise from console gamers at the time. Man, I wish I can still get a refund to this day :pie_roffles:

Felt like a Fisher Price 'My First RPG.' Especially after already knee deep in RPGs on the PC at the time with so much more robust systems, etc..
That's all down to you, as you just didn't understand Peter Molyneuxs vision. 😂

pasterpl

I have enjoyed each game in the main series fable 1-3 were excellent, lighthearted, lite RPGs, they all got decent meta scores as well

https://www.metacritic.com/search/all/Fable/results

It is obviously very subjective

Topher

Gold Member

How did you like Fable 2?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How did you like Fable 2?
Never even played it after the bad taste that was the first one.

I am however looking forward to seeing what they do with this one, since I would assume game systems have different expectations in current year next to others like TW3, ES, ER, etc., etc.. Hell, even action games that now incorporate RPG systems have outclassed them.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

So the actual head of Xbox Game Studios says the game is looking amazing and he wants to show it now and every other Xbox exec who has seen it seems to be blown away, but they are respecting Playground's wishes on when they want to reveal it, but people will believe some random dude? 🤔

Lol.
have you ever seen a company that said bad things about their projects ? ofc they are gonna say that everything is fine

fallingdove

Lol.

Lol. An executive is the last person I’d trust to be impartial. Your suggestion that we should trust executives after Crackdown 3, Kinect Milo + Star Wars, the Halo infinite reveal, the “we believe in generations” sentiment, etc. seems a little silly.

Double Fine was purchased in 2019.

That’s later than 2017.

Fable was pitched in 2017 to Phil Spencer.

In 2017, Rare was wholly focused on Sea of Thieves.

You’re saying MS should have accepted the pitch, supported Playground to hire 100+ devs for their second team and then taken the game away from them to give to Rare, canceling Everwild in the process? Basically putting out one game instead of two?

Lol

No, I'm saying they should've not let a racing game developer reboot an action-RPG in the first place, and then gone to Rare to make it instead of doing whatever they're doing on Everwild.

As it is both Fable and Everwild are, if not in development hell, in some type of extended / difficult developments, but what do I know right...

samoilaaa

Lol. An executive is the last person I’d trust to be impartial. Your suggestion that we should trust executives after Crackdown 3, Kinect Milo + Star Wars, the Halo infinite reveal, the “we believe in generations” sentiment, etc. seems a little silly.
yeah , its been over 2 years since that teaser , we could have at least gotten a full 3-4 min trailer

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

Do you go by captain?
I do.

yeah , its been over 2 years since that teaser , we could have at least gotten a full 3-4 min trailer
It wouldn't be the first time or last where a studio shows a teaser while having nothing about the game ready and being in the pre-production phase. I just hope it doesn't get stuck in development hell.

CamHostage

No, I'm saying they should've not let a racing game developer reboot an action-RPG in the first place, and then gone to Rare to make it instead of doing whatever they're doing on Everwild.

But it's not that Microsoft went, "Oh shit, we don't have a Fable in construction right now, what do we do?!"

From what we understand of the process, Playground was in good shape to expand, a pitch was made to Microsoft for this game as an expansion studio project, the project was approved as a title which would use the solid Forza technology, and off it went.

No Playground Games St. Albans House team, no new Fable.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Never even played it after the bad taste that was the first one.

I am however looking forward to seeing what they do with this one, since I would assume game systems have different expectations in current year next to others like TW3, ES, ER, etc., etc.. Hell, even action games that now incorporate RPG systems have outclassed them.

Damn you missed the best game in the franchise ...

if you are able to, I would highly recommend checking it out. It's got a 4K update on modern Xbox consoles.

-Zelda-

Banned
Of all the games that I have played back when I had the OG and 360 X box consoles, the fable series is the one that highly wished was also on Sony and Nintendo platforms as well. To people who enjoy this franchise, I hope they can iron out whatever problems they are having with the newest version they are working on and that you have a blast with it.
Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery were two other Exclusive rpgs that I wish were multi console released.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
You think playground games is releasing something like crackdown 3 now? This place gets better and better. Who cares about Microsoft executives. How about give a little trust to a developer who has never failed to deliver quality period. I think making good on 5 games in a row should buy them the benefit of the doubt. They don't want to show it until its polished that is the MO of playground studios if you didn't pay attention.

With what (recent) results? Because if we're talking in terms of technical visual fidelity, Gears 5 Hivebusters is probably the only example that's both kind of recent (within the past 2 years) and up there with some current stuff.

But that probably comes up short compared to say Callisto Protocol, which is also using UE4. Stuff like Hellblade II doesn't count it, you know, actually releases.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Can only imagine how hard it must be to go from a racing game to a game like fable. The shift in tech and design philosophy is really wide.

Ozriel

M$FT
With what (recent) results? Because if we're talking in terms of technical visual fidelity, Gears 5 Hivebusters is probably the only example that's both kind of recent (within the past 2 years) and up there with some current stuff.

But that probably comes up short compared to say Callisto Protocol, which is also using UE4. Stuff like Hellblade II doesn't count it, you know, actually releases.

What are you on about?
‘Heaviest use’ doesn’t mean ‘best use’ or ‘most impressive use’.

Probably around half of MS first party are using Unreal Engine. That’s what I meant.

I’m not sure how you imagined your interpretation made sense in the context of today’s discussion (a claim that MS is pushing back against using Unreal Engine in favor of an internal engine).

Ozriel

M$FT
Can only imagine how hard it must be to go from a racing game to a game like fable. The shift in tech and design philosophy is really wide.

Definitely not as hard as having to repeatedly remind concerned people that a significant number of the people making Fable are RPG veterans hired for Playground’s second team and probably haven’t made a racing game before.

Not to mention the fact that there are tons of easily transferable skills between an open world racer and an open world RPG. One can easily see them port over the excellent work done on procedural generated vegetation that was implemented in FH5

What are you on about?
‘Heaviest use’ doesn’t mean ‘best use’ or ‘most impressive use’.

Probably around half of MS first party are using Unreal Engine. That’s what I meant.

I guess. But that just unfortunately feeds back into other issues when it comes to their internal teams: we haven't really seen much of whatever it is they're doing with UE4/5 this gen. Communication on that front has been abysmal.

I’m not sure how you imagined your interpretation made sense in the context of today’s discussion (a claim that MS is pushing back against using Unreal Engine in favor of an internal engine).

But MS have always used internal engines alongside UE. Forzatech, Blam!, Slipspace etc. They aren't foreign to proprietary engines.

When people make the claim they're making the "heaviest use" of say UE4 or 5, I mean sure that's one way to think of it if quantity of games is all that matters to you. Not the case for me though; it's what specifically teams are getting out of it and with products either already out or what we have seen clear gameplay of to know they're coming soon. We don't have that with almost any of MS's teams right now, but we do have games on the market today making stellar use of UE and I'd think those sort of claims are better saved for them until MS's teams actually show more of their games or release them into the market.

Holy shit! At some of the takes in here some people commenting and not even having information that’s relevant to the conversation. Playground staffed and hired made a whole new team that’s working on fable including former rockstar, rocksteady, and even lion head previous staff. Also Matt booty in an interview debunked this rumor and said fable looked so good he’s been wanting to show it but the teams been saying they don’t want to show it yet. Playground is growing three teams they have the fable team, racing team and another one to do new IP. Ralph Fulton runs the fable team now and his protege runs the racing team. Sounds like bs I don’t think Matt booty would lie.

Holy shit! At some of the takes in here some people commenting and not even having information that’s relevant to the conversation. Playground staffed and hired made a whole new team that’s working on fable including former rockstar, rocksteady, and even lion head previous staff. Also Matt booty in an interview debunked this rumor and said fable looked so good he’s been wanting to show it but the teams been saying they don’t want to show it yet. Playground is growing three teams they have the fable team, racing team and another one to do new IP. Ralph Fulton runs the fable team now and his protege runs the racing team. Sounds like bs I don’t think Matt booty would lie.
⬆️
This comment is hilarious.

fallingdove

You think playground games is releasing something like crackdown 3 now? This place gets better and better. Who cares about Microsoft executives. How about give a little trust to a developer who has never failed to deliver quality period. I think making good on 5 games in a row should buy them the benefit of the doubt. They don't want to show it until its polished that is the MO of playground studios if you didn't pay attention.

Did you read my post?

Playground needs to polish the game and don’t want to show it? Great. Polish that game to a blinding shine. I don’t need to see anything from this game until it’s perfect.

But I am not going to trust an executive just because they say “Trust us, this game looks amazing.”

Ozriel

M$FT
When people make the claim they're making the "heaviest use" of say UE4 or 5, I mean sure that's one way to think of it if quantity of games is all that matters to you. Not the case for me though; it's what specifically teams are getting out of it and with products either already out or what we have seen clear gameplay of to know they're coming soon. We don't have that with almost any of MS's teams right now, but we do have games on the market today making stellar use of UE and I'd think those sort of claims are better saved for them until MS's teams actually show more of their games or release them into the market.

To clarify for you before you venture into more weird territory, this thread was bumped because of a rumor that Fable development was troubled because MS mandated them to make use of a proprietary engine and blocked them off from using Unreal Engine.

This claim is the context of this discussion and not whether you think Callisto protocol made more impressive use of UE than any of MS studios.

When people make the claim they're making the "heaviest use" of say UE4 or 5, I mean sure that's one way to think of it if quantity of games is all that matters to you.

I literally clarified for you in the post you’re responding to that statement was made to highlight the fact that they have a significant number of studios using UE for their games and hence are extremely unlikely to have a forced mandate against using third party engines 😂

To clarify for you before you venture into more weird territory, this thread was bumped because of a rumor that Fable development was troubled because MS mandated them to make use of a proprietary engine and blocked them off from using Unreal Engine.

This claim is the context of this discussion and not whether you think Callisto protocol made more impressive use of UE than any of MS studios.

I mean I'm just piggybacking off your own statement of MS making the "heaviest use" of UE which I assume you said to debunk the rumor because the assumption would be that MS had their teams making use of UE already (though specifically WRT Playground doesn't necessarily work because they've already been confirmed as working with a variant of Forzatech for FH5 and assumed they would be using a modified version of that for Fable).

Sure you can say I veered things off a bit, but I acknowledge the rumor, that it exists. I get that. But since my comment piggybacked off yours, and you made a general statement of MS studios and UE as a means to dismiss the rumor, considering the likelihood Playground are in fact using a variation of Forzatech which is a proprietary engine, there's more room to suspect the rumor is true than there is to suspect it's false.

Forzatech as an engine was made for racing games, natural to assume an open-world 3rd-person fantasy WRPG would be having some conflicts with core aspects of an engine not initially built with that type of game in mind, no?

I literally clarified for you in the post you’re responding to that statement was made to highlight the fact that they have a significant number of studios using UE for their games and hence are extremely unlikely to have a forced mandate against using third party engines 😂

Oh so this is about a forced mandate? I don't think I saw that part. Yeah, I agree that a forced mandate against 3P engines from MS would be very weird. But, it could also be that they have a target release timeframe in mind and an engine switch this far into development could cause them to miss that release timeframe.

So it could be a specific instance where the team let's say wants to switch engines, but MS are telling them "No" because a switch would incur a big delay and they need some of these games to actually be completed sooner rather than later after all. This is even more likely if the more laid-back approach was partly because they assumed an acquisition like ABK would come through when in reality it looks like that deal could be falling apart.

Top Bottom