• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable might have been scaled down due to engine issues and lack of wrpg expertise. Could release later than expected.

CeeJay

When you have First party studios like Bethesda and Obsidian why would you give a WRPG to Playground Games.

Really puzzling.
Trust and respect?

There are numerous posts from people wanting numerous studios to be unshackled from the games they are associated with and be allowed to make something else. Playground wants to make Fable and setup a second studio specifically to do that. Surely we should encourage it rather than bash them for it?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
the number of negative threads pre Ms conference poses some doubts

Think Which One GIF by Nick Jonas

It's almost like people want to get as much FUD out before the show as possible.

Markio128

I hope you never adopt kids, I can imagine orphanage Billy getting 1 present at Christmas while your own little angel gets 10. "lollipop_disappointed:

Embarrassed Shame GIF
I was thinking more along the lines of my parents babysitting my daughter and being incredibly thankful they can give her back 😂

Belthazar

Trust and respect?

There are numerous posts from people wanting numerous studios to be unshackled from the games they are associated with and be allowed to make something else. Playground wants to make Fable and setup a second studio specifically to do that. Surely we should encourage it rather than bash them for it?

It depends if it makes sense. It can be a big success, but it can also lead to some struggle. I don't imagine something like Sony giving Naughty Dog the task of making the new Gran Turismo, it just doesn't make sense.

Think Which One GIF by Nick Jonas

It's almost like people want to get as much FUD out before the show as possible.
usually the best way to ruin a show is the over-hype of it, so as to make it impossible to please. If this aim to throw doom and gloom around Microsoft, for them it will be even more easy to get out of the show positively.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

This is the one game I've been looking forward to fgs.
For me:

Scorn
State of Decay 3
Fable
HellBlade 2

Avowed is a maybe.

Played Halo Infinite...I have come to realize Halo just isnt for me.

Neither is Gears, but I havent played the last one yet.

Forza is the only one of MS's main games that I really like.

Bethesda games are hit or miss for me. Activision games are whatever, Blizzard isnt anywhere near my radar.

Yeah, the Xbox showcase is a complete mystery. Might be a good thing.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Trust and respect?

That's the thing that gets me. Don and Microsoft forces studios to do games. We complain about it because it turns out uninspired games. One of the best studios out there asks for a project outside their genre and Microsoft says yes trusting them. Now people bitch about it. This is not some so so studio this is playground who earned this shot by doing great work for years. This is what everyone wanted during the Don era studios making games they are passionate about not forced into projects.

Papacheeks

Banned
Wow people are really concerned in here.

You can blame Microsoft for announcing this game way too early so our expectations are wild, on top of us waiting for a long ass time. Then all you show is a CGI trailer in 2020, then 2 years later hear that the developer is having issues transitioning to a project of this size and type.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm happy there is an entire industry of YouTube dipweeds repeating rumors we've already heard and claiming "inside info" lol

Game was announced way too early.. MS really needs to get some games cranked out so they can stop with these early reveals.

Rykan

5 games actually.

How many of those 5 games released by this time last year? Or do you think they have got nothing coming for the rest of the year?
I forgot about Age of Empires 4 so that would make 4? What's the 5th one?
I've got Halo, F5: H, Psychonauts 2, Flight Simulator and AoE 4. Which one did I miss?
5 games actually.

How many of those 5 games released by this time last year? Or do you think they have got nothing coming for the rest of the year?
Not anything that can compete with the competition, No. Maybe the next Forza releases but that's all I'm expecting.
How about this....

Before the official F1 game, the core Dev team had worked on the following, Hostile Waters, Cold Winter, Brian Lara Cricket, 50 Cent-Blood On The Sand.....all clearly the same game, right?

To assume that development staff are incapable of branching out and working in different genres is pretty ignorant.

The people that get hired for positions on a Dev team will have portfolios and code examples showing all sorts of different styles, ideas and routines.
I'll admit that my post was partly in jest, but there's still an element of truth to it as far as I'm concerned.

I don't mean to imply that it's a studio that can or should only develop one genre, but Fable is one of MS's most popular franchises. It's just odd to not lend the property to one of their RPG studios instead.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
And even if it fails, if they're using the Forza Engine it might still be good for their engine going forward.
That depends - projects of this type (IP, strategic importance etc.) usually have more than enough funding to simply branch-off and do their own thing (And sometimes that's the *only* thing that gets the project to ship instead of cancelled).
Hell, Ubisoft used to do this for around a decade (across multiple of their engines/IPs), where each iteration of the game was an incompatible branch of the tech with all the others (particularly grating for certain yearly releases).

Topher

Gold Member
That's the thing that gets me. Don and Microsoft forces studios to do games. We complain about it because it turns out uninspired games. One of the best studios out there asks for a project outside their genre and Microsoft says yes trusting them. Now people bitch about it. This is not some so so studio this is playground who earned this shot by doing great work for years. This is what everyone wanted during the Don era studios making games they are passionate about not forced into projects.

I agree with you about Playground. They do awesome work. I do wonder about trying to retool their Forza engine into an RPG engine. Why not just use Unreal?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
When you have First party studios like Bethesda and Obsidian why would you give a WRPG to Playground Games.
This iteration of Fable IP started 5 years before Bethesda deal happened. Obsidian was a bit closer - but still, years after.
You could argue that they should take it away from Playground after - but that'd likely set internet on fire if it happened.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What’s the credentials here?
They were banned from gaf for being insufferable green rats so id say pretty strong credentials lol

The thing with these xbox insiders is that they all know and communicate with each other. Colt knows shepshal who knows klobrrie who knows some real people inside Xbox who might use him to intentionally leak stuff.

Though I dont know why MS would intentionally leak bad news about Fable. Maybe the game isnt going to be at the show and they want to temper expectations?

graywolf323

Fifth game is Deathloop
nah Deathloop was counted under Bethesda who were counted separately from MS as a whole

edit: not sure what the 5th unique game was, Meteoritic mentions Psychonauts 2, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, and Flight Simulator for Series

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't mean to imply that it's a studio that can or should only develop one genre, but Fable is one of MS's most popular franchises. It's just odd to not lend the property to one of their RPG studios instead.
No idea why Obsidian is making Outer Worlds 2. They shouldve been working on Fable and Avowed.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why not just use Unreal?
It's not like Unreal does much out of the box that is particularly good for RPGs (more like the opposite, if they're also open world). UE4 in particular was not a great choice, faster hiring of art/design labor non-withstanding.
Sure - chances are it's easier to customize for the purpose given it's less bespoke nature - but when you already own a tech-stack and hundreds of engineers familiar with it, it's very debatable what's going to move faster on that front also (that may only becomes obvious 'after' the fact).

That depends - projects of this type (IP, strategic importance etc.) usually have more than enough funding to simply branch-off and do their own thing (And sometimes that's the *only* thing that gets the project to ship instead of cancelled).
Hell, Ubisoft used to do this for around a decade (across multiple of their engines/IPs), where each iteration of the game was an incompatible branch of the tech with all the others (particularly grating for certain yearly releases).
That's inefficiency at it's best.

Playground seems efficient with Forza Horizon so there's that, but yes they could bruteforce and go some way or the other with it, this team is not the Forza Horizon one so we're talking about sharing an ethos.

I agree with you about Playground. They do awesome work. I do wonder about trying to retool their Forza engine into an RPG engine. Why not just use Unreal?
No engine is pre-configured for the needs of an RPG system. If they're going to have plenty of work to configure it they might as well use their own tech.

That way they can move people across both teams as well.
It's not like Unreal does much out of the box that is particularly good for RPGs (more like the opposite, if they're also open world). UE4 in particular was not a great choice, faster hiring of art/design labor non-withstanding.
Sure - chances are it's easier to customize for the purpose given it's less bespoke nature - but when you already own a tech-stack and hundreds of engineers familiar with it, it's very debatable what's going to move faster on that front also (that may only becomes obvious 'after' the fact).
this.

But this is true for every licensable engine out there. There's a reason why Bethesda is stuck with Creation Engine, Bioware with Aurora Engine, Witcher/Cyberpunk stuck with RED Engine, Kingdom Come guys using Crytek Engine at least for a second time (they say they spent 1 year work to make it workable in the first place). Some of those are/were forks of existing generic use engines that were adapted so much they called them different names altogether.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
nah Deathloop was counted under Bethesda who were counted separately from MS as a whole

edit: not sure what the 5th unique game was, Meteoritic mentions Psychonauts 2, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, and Flight Simulator for Series

Did they count Halo twice as its free to play only as well as campaign and multiplayer?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No engine is pre-configured for the needs of an RPG system. If they're going to have plenty of work to configure it they might as well use their own tech.

That way they can move people across both teams as well.

This engine was pre-configured for the needs of a racing system in an open world. They were bringing in people from the outside with experience in making RPGs. Those people are going to know nothing about Forza's engine, but plenty of them have an understanding of Unreal.

The year ends in May now apparently.

Usually by May we know of everything that is slated to come out in the year. Hopefully Phil will have some surprises at the showcase.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
Not surprised but MS has way too many WRPGs, its a little redundant. I like Fable though but I would take TES6 first then Fable then Avowed. If they all come within a year of each other thats not good. But lets be real TES is 2027 at this point, probably cross gen with the next xbox.

This engine was pre-configured for the needs of a racing system in an open world. They were bringing in people from the outside with experience in making RPGs. Those people are going to know nothing about Forza's engine, but plenty of them have an understanding of Unreal.
I understand that. But there are still advantages to not using Unreal Engine for them.

And for us, tbh.

Topher

Gold Member
I understand that. But there are still advantages to not using Unreal Engine for them.

And for us, tbh.

I don’t know. If the rumors are true the engine is the root of the problem.

The whole idea of the game is bizarre - a developer that has only ever made racing games is trying to make an RPG of a franchise that hasn't got any relevance today.

Yeah it's not going to work.

Playground hired a bunch of people with experience in making RPGs so I don't think that is really the issue. Guerrilla had never made an open world RPG before Horizon Zero Dawn either.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Fable games are not that big and don’t need to be Witcher 3 big.

Maybe a little bigger than the original games with more content but not that much.

I don’t need an Ubisoft type of map with hundreds of question marks filler content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom