• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable might have been scaled down due to engine issues and lack of wrpg expertise. Could release later than expected.

Fable games are not that big and don’t to be Witcher 3 big.

Maybe a little bigger than the original games with more content but not that much.

I don’t need an Ubisoft type of map with hundreds of question marks filler content.
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

th4tguy

A proprietary engine which has been dedicated to only racing games for the past decade is having issues with a third person wrpg? Who could have seen that coming?
I wonder if Sony should get Polyphony to make the next Horizon game using the GT engine.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Watched the video. Massive pinch of salt.

No way is Playground of all devs having issues with Forzatech, and the bit about ‘expertise’ makes no sense since they’ve been hiring from the start to bring in that capability.

Looks more like it’s well known that rumors like this brings more clicks.

A source that apparently doesn’t leak the target release window, can’t leak any info on story or setting or any relevant info on the game…how’s that a source? 😂

Rumor =/= News.
I'm not saying the rumor is true but it sounds plausible given what that developer said

And maybe the Forza engine doesn't work well with many NPC's having their own AI or combat encounters, it was created strictly around racing after all

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
A proprietary engine which has been dedicated to only racing games for the past decade is having issues with a third person wrpg? Who could have seen that coming?
I wonder if Sony should get Polyphony to make the next Horizon game using the GT engine.
Lol yup this is what I was thinking

Guerrila didn’t struggle with horizon and they had only worked with fps games.

I think Guerrillas engine is just more adaptable to similar genres. If I were to guess playgrounds engine is probably finely tuned to Forza Horizon type games. Going from a refer to an open world RPG is probably a lot different than going from an FPS to an open world 3rd person game.

Shmunter

They were banned from gaf for being insufferable green rats so id say pretty strong credentials lol

The thing with these xbox insiders is that they all know and communicate with each other. Colt knows shepshal who knows klobrrie who knows some real people inside Xbox who might use him to intentionally leak stuff.

Though I dont know why MS would intentionally leak bad news about Fable. Maybe the game isnt going to be at the show and they want to temper expectations?
Rip Fable then.

Poor Phil.

Publisher of the year 2021 with the highest ever average meta score. How much concistancy are you looking for?
Highest average metascore means absolutely nothing. You could release one good game. Or you could release 5 good games and 2 average games. The first has the higher average metacritic score. Who would really opt for that over the latter?

What's their average metacritic score so far in 2022?

Last edited:
A whole thread on a colt eastwood leak...dont take what this guy says with a grain of salt. throw it right in the trash. Colt is good for news updates but outside of that hes not credible at all. Also what does scaled back mean when we have 0 knowledge of the game. Feels like most projects need to be scaled back. Elden ring was scaled back when you look at what was originally going to be included like the dream missions and flaming head. Or is it a total gut job? We dont know so this info kind of does nothing for us.

Three

What was the original release date?
Never had one. Didn't stop people from suggesting they will get it in 2022 though because "it's been in development since 2018". Some even went as far as to suggest the trailer might be in-engine which was a good laugh.

CeeJay

I think Guerrillas engine is just more adaptable to similar genres. If I were to guess playgrounds engine is probably finely tuned to Forza Horizon type games. Going from a refer to an open world RPG is probably a lot different than going from an FPS to an open world 3rd person game.
Yeah PG use a modified ForzaTech engine originally developed by Turn10. This engine was also the base for flight Simulator as well which you could argue is more similar to racing as well than an RPG. It may not be ideal for an RPG but I guess they thought that having in depth knowledge of a not quite suitable engine is better than minimal knowledge of something that might be more suited.

CeeJay

Highest average metascore means absolutely nothing. You could release one good game. Or you could release 5 good games and 2 average games. The first has the higher average metacritic score. Who would really opt for that over the latter?

What's their average metacritic score so far in 2022?
Highest average over 5 games indicates consistently good scores for the entire year so it means something. One mediocre game would have brought the average right down. It could be a fluke but its certainly hinting a step up in quality. A Recore or a Crackdown 3 quality of game would have tanked the overall average.

As for their average this year...

Null

They haven't released anything yet. But by this time last year it would also have been null too. Microsoft need to spread their releases out a bit instead of cramming everything into the "holidays" window. Ok if you only have one or two games but not really acceptible when you have a higher potential output like they do now.

StormCell

Yeah, apparently...

"Fernandez reveals Playground had some trouble adapting to making an open-world game where you don’t blast around in fancy cars at 200 mph."

The guy in the video is saying the same thing reported almost three months ago. Playground is having problems using the Forza Horizon open world engine in an RPG.
This was relatively simple to get around. Just give our protag a horse that runs 200 mph and give him a special magical ability that allows him to also sprint 200 mph. Boom. Problem solved!

I take checks as well as direct deposits, Microsoft. :)

Swift_Star

Banned
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Were you just having some banter or being serious? For the sake of my mental health, I hope it's the former.
I don’t really think that’s my problem.
I don’t disagree with you.

oldergamer

People that don't know what they are talking on these podcasts, need to stop reporting this type of stuff. Just like the last reporting on fable comments that took things out of context ( even after the poster that made them explained ).

"engine issues"? that makes little sense. Either the 3d game engine supports something or doesn't, or it does something well or doesn't.

The question is what is scaled back? The scope, the size, the playtime, the graphics, the physics, the audio, the game design, the story, etc... ? Games scale back on various elements all the time with the public hearing anything about it. These podcast guys are making statements that only lead to threads on forums like this one with every single person assuming they know what X means.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No idea why Obsidian is making Outer Worlds 2. They shouldve been working on Fable and Avowed.
Maybe they want someone who doesn't suck donkey balls at doing melee combat or combat in general??

Sure playground has no experience in combat, but if you hire obsidian you are sure that combat is gonna be some clunky shit, and kinda the same with bethesda tbh.

Last edited:
What do people expect?

MS gave a WRPG to the guys that have only ever made driving games...... why?

They own dedicated WRPG studios like Obsidian who are set up in terms of their engine and dev toolchain to be able to make RPGs. They should have given Fable to Obsidian.

What do people expect?

MS gave a WRPG to the guys that have only ever made driving games...... why?

They own dedicated WRPG studios like Obsidian who are set up in terms of their engine and dev toolchain to be able to make RPGs. They should have given Fable to Obsidian.
It's best to let studios work on what they want to work on. Naughty Dog had just been making 3D mascot platformers when they wanted to create Uncharted. Guerrilla Games was making FPS when they made Horizon.

Playground is a talented studio so if they want to create the next Fable, they should.

Kimahri

Banned
Totally agree. You can't replicate that British humour.
Yep. It's a big part of why I love it. And not just the humor. The whole experience is just profoundly british.

Imagine Hollywood doing a Monty Python reboot and you have my thoughts on how an american studio would handle this

Wait, THAT'S the source? Really?!? That dude's never claimed to be an insider before, no one else has claimed them to be either. Now we've got a four-page thread?

Yeah, I'm out. We already know this game's not coming before 2024, only solid speculation or news I'm interested in is if the game comes earlier or gets pushed back behind 2024.

We already know the team is having issues. If they sort them out, cool. If not, it'll be a dud.

Hezekiah

Banned
Imagine owning some of the best Western RPG studios in the entire industry and you assign one of your most beloved RPG franchises to a racing studio.
Definitely doesn't make any sense, sounds like they have done a good amount of recruitment but it will likely set back timelines, and the engine will need a lot of retooling.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm not saying the rumor is true but it sounds plausible given what that developer said

And maybe the Forza engine doesn't work well with many NPC's having their own AI or combat encounters, it was created strictly around racing after all

But There’s barely anything in this rumor that aligns with what that developer said.

We already know the team is having issues.

Source? Because there’s absolutely no indication that the team is having any issues.

Last edited:
I don’t know. If the rumors are true the engine is the root of the problem.
I'm sure it is. But there is no guarantee that they wouldn't have the same problems with UE4/UE5.

UE training makes asset creation easier if as an artist you're used to that pipeline, but there's a lot more to an RPG.

As designed to be cost effective as it is for studios who don't have their own tech, UE is not a magic bullet.

Last edited:
Fable games are not that big and don’t to be Witcher 3 big.

Maybe a little bigger than the original games with more content but not that much.

I don’t need an Ubisoft type of map with hundreds of question marks filler content.
Don't assume for a second that a huge openworld map is not what you're getting here.

And Forza Engine excels at that.

I hope it's not bland like Ubisoft's, but it's like how every game was a collectathon in the late 90's. Everything is heavily "open world" now.

Topher

Gold Member
Source? Because there’s absolutely no indication that the team is having any issues.

Just look above.

Also there was a team member at Playground who came out talking about how challenging development has been in parts, talking about how they're a team that's competing at making a giant AAA game with other, much larger teams, but still attempting to produce comparable results.

I don't have any of this bookmarked, though.

EDIT: Okay, so let's say I'm willing to give Gaz's rumor credibility. Maybe he actually has a source, let's just pretend that for a moment. Part of the other reason I can't take what's being mentioned here as real is because I don't want to. And I don't want to because if it's true, this game is in a lot more trouble than the last reports suggested. Maybe not Perfect Dark levels of issues, but not that far off. It'd also suggest XGS upper management really is just complete garbage.

But I especially want to give Playground the benefit of the doubt still because they've been a consistent developer with XGS for years. Whatever issues they may be having, I'd like to think they aren't severe enough to cause rampant downscaling of the design scope. So in a way yes, I don't necessarily buy this rumor due to selfish reasons on my part.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Although i have never got into Fable, in fact i dont even think they are good games, and i'm an RPG fan.
I will laugh my are off though if the game ends up great. after all these 'concern issues'.

Top Bottom