• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face off DmC X1 PS4. Where for art thou AF!

Mastperf

NX usually comes later than DF's analyses, but I would be down for NX-specific threads.
Me too. He can be off sometimes with the technical jargon but he has a great eye for small details. I also prefer his method of running various gameplay segments split-screen and discussing performance in the scene on each platform. Digital Foundry does great work too, but It's nice to see things done from a different angle.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
If this is a question for the developers, then why the hell isn't Sony asking them? If I were part of the Playstation division I'd be pretty pissed that these games are lacking something as basic as AF, while X1 and even PS3/360 have it.

thebloo

If this is a question for the developers, then why the hell isn't Sony asking them? If I were part of the Playstation division I'd be pretty pissed that these games are lacking something as basic as AF, while X1 and even PS3/360 have it.

They certainly discuss, but it's not Sony's business to answer to the public. It wouldn't be cool to disclose what they talk with 3rd parties.

Jomjom

Banned
Yeah I've completely switched over to NXgamer. His analyses is just much more comprehensive and more objective than DF.

mejin

DF gets so much wrong that it's not even funny. They were more interested in posting an article stating that the xbone version had better AF and image quality over the PS4 (which is true) and that it was better overall over the vanilla PC version (which is also true), that they got quite a few details wrong due to all that excitement. Some parts of that article read really strangely, just one example..Df said that the xbone has better AA, but says the PS4 version is using a more aggressive form of the same PPAA method the XBONE uses, bonkers.

As for the framerate bit, I stopped taking DF's frame-rate analysis seriously a long time ago, they do too little frame runs, they're very selective of the bits of framerun data they use and it never gives an accurate picture. They almost always say something entirely different in their article than what the frametests indicate. They're almost always wrong on the minimum framerate in their own videos. If you're getting so much wrong on the low end then the final analysis is most likely wrong as well.

The analysis that really did it for me was FARCRY 4, it's not the only one, but one of the most blatant, the xbone drops frames so much in heavy foliage and just randomly traversing the environment (and this game is mostly jungle areas) yet they claimed the framerate was better on the XBONE with a very selective video.

So I always wait on NXGAMER to see how it goes against theirs, his videos are more accurate based on how long he lets the frame-tests run whilst also pointing to you the differences in framerate and the problem areas if they exist. DF never pointed out that the xbone struggles a bit more with heavy alpha on the screen in DMC, NXgamer not only showed you where that happened but also how more consistently the PS4 version run in comparison. Nxgamer showed you that the xbone tears more to keep framerate up and even then the PS4 outperforms it while holding it's vysnc. It's not rocket science, he showed all these things with objective data and we know logically it makes sense because a better GPU will always outclass the xbone at the same resolution, we've already seen it outclass the xbone with more effects at a higher resolution too.

I trust Nxgamer's analysis because it's factual, it's logical, everything is corroborated with empirical evidence.

At this point, all that needs to happen is that this game gets patched with 16xAF from the devs and they can call it a wrap.

Just watched NXgamer's analysis, very informative and objective. I'll start to follow his H2H from now on.

system11

Yeah I've completely switched over to NXgamer. His analyses is just much more comprehensive and more objective than DF.

Does he write these up anywhere or do you have to sit through videos? Written media is really suffering these days with far too much going to video, I just don't have time for many of those. I'm dissatisfied with DF, they're pretty obviously seeing what they want to see at times, and blustering with poor speculative statements.

DF gets so much wrong that it's not even funny. They were more interested in posting an article stating that the xbone version had better AF and image quality over the PS4 (which is true) and that it was better overall over the vanilla PC version (which is also true), that they got quite a few details wrong due to all that excitement. Some parts of that article read really strangely, just one example..Df said that the xbone has better AA, but says the PS4 version is using a more aggressive form of the same PPAA method the XBONE uses, bonkers.

As for the framerate bit, I stopped taking DF's frame-rate analysis seriously a long time ago, they do too little frame runs, they're very selective of the bits of framerun data they use and it never gives an accurate picture. They almost always say something entirely different in their article than what the frametests indicate. They're almost always wrong on the minimum framerate in their own videos. If you're getting so much wrong on the low end then the final analysis is most likely wrong as well.

The analysis that really did it for me was FARCRY 4, it's not the only one, but one of the most blatant, the xbone drops frames so much in heavy foliage and just randomly traversing the environment (and this game is mostly jungle areas) yet they claimed the framerate was better on the XBONE with a very selective video.

So I always wait on NXGAMER to see how it goes against theirs, his videos are more accurate based on how long he lets the frame-tests run whilst also pointing to you the differences in framerate and the problem areas if they exist. DF never pointed out that the xbone struggles a bit more with heavy alpha on the screen in DMC, NXgamer not only showed you where that happened but also how more consistently the PS4 version run in comparison. Nxgamer showed you that the xbone tears more to keep framerate up and even then the PS4 outperforms it while holding it's vysnc. It's not rocket science, he showed all these things with objective data and we know logically it makes sense because a better GPU will always outclass the xbone at the same resolution, we've already seen it outclass the xbone with more effects at a higher resolution too.

I trust Nxgamer's analysis because it's factual, it's logical, everything is corroborated with empirical evidence.

At this point, all that needs to happen is that this game gets patched with 16xAF from the devs and they can call it a wrap.

And his username just about sums it up for me.

Brilliant post.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its not the platform holder's job to quiz developers and third-party publishers about performance details.

You really need to let go of this idea that every product is supposed to be of equal technical quality down to the minutia. Its ludicrous to expect every non game-breaking quibble the internet brains-trust can find to stand in the way of a title being released!

No company is going to mandate stuff to that extent, they aren't going to turn away product that the overwhelming majority of the audience is going to find perfectly acceptable.

Dahbomb

b00c3352d4e19b6d4b1d62ca454e9a22.png

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So you don't notice any difference between these two screenshots?

samhd_2015_03_12_02_0ehu9n.jpg

samhd_2015_03_12_02_06pu27.jpg

Right?

A bit, yeah but 2 points to counter if I may.

1) The difference isn't massive and doesn't suddenly make the game any uglier as a result.

2) How often in games (let alone a game like DmC) are you sitting still looking for that stuff?

1) The difference isn't massive and doesn't suddenly make the game any uglier as a result.

2) How often in games (let alone a game like DmC) are you sitting still looking for that stuff?
1. It is ugly, and the difference is massive. Half the image is missing almost all of its detail.

2. DMC is full of moments where you are platform or traversing scapes that are flat and long. It is painfully obvious.

1) It makes it way uglier. The part of the screen thats affected has pretty much lost all fine detail.

2) You don't have to sit still. The shitty looking part moves with you. In parts where you keep the camera levelled aka most of the time you'll see it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
1. It is ugly, and the difference is massive. Half the image is missing almost all of its detail.

2. DMC is full of moments where you are platform or traversing scapes that are flat and long. It is painfully obvious.

This. Most first person and third person games where there is not a ton of verticality will make this painfully obvious. DmC is a prime example as most levels and areas are flat and wide open. And in motion it's worse than in stills as you can visibly tell the artificial cut off line as you move.

Javin98

Banned
Ninja Theory has announced that they are looking into the AF issues of the PS4 for DmC DE.
It will be nice if they released a 8× AF (16× AF would be better) patch a la Dying Light. I love how devs are beginning to acknowledge these AF issues on PS4 and hopefully fix them.

Off topic, but it's nice to see NXGamer getting some love in this thread. Personally, I trust his analysis more than DF's, mainly because they're unbiased and informative.

mdubs

Banned
So you don't notice any difference between these two screenshots?

samhd_2015_03_12_02_0ehu9n.jpg

samhd_2015_03_12_02_06pu27.jpg

Right?

This is probably why I'm a console person because I can barely tell the difference. Like I can tell the top one is a little uglier but I honestly wouldn't have noticed it unless I looked hard. Good for those who can see it I guess?

Head.spawn

This is probably why I'm a console person because I can barely tell the difference. Like I can tell the top one is a little uglier but I honestly wouldn't have noticed it unless I looked hard. Good for those who can see it I guess?

One looks like N64/PS2 Vaseline smeared across the textures.. you don't notice that? It's a massive difference for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Patched. Here's my comparison from the AF thread. Click to expand

Tried to recreate the shots as close as I could.

Before:
ibaeJznchOdrFC.jpg

After:
iC1bc4Fz3Ffqc.jpg

Before:
iuJEU3BegpRQH.jpg

After:
ibhpAqkRcuTsQT.jpg

Before:
imZXZQLqdoaWk.jpg

After:
ibrLzYvrOlXt2K.jpg

Before:
iYdt6iwJBxxVl.jpg

After:
iQ8xkwM26fhjo.jpg

Before:
ivgOrFuNIOVSL.jpg

After:
ifJVHFnKHLZkf.jpg

Honestly made a much bigger difference than I expected and performance is exactly the same. IQ is really crisp now. Hopefully we see it in most games from now on.

burgerdog

LOL, the walk way is mud in the last screen. You'd never know there was brick/stone work there in the pre patch version until you were standing on it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LOL, the walk way is mud in the last screen. You'd never know there was brick/stone work there in the pre patch version until you were standing on it.

All of the Vergil missions had stuff like that. They were hit far harder by a lack of AF than most placed in the main game.

burgerdog

All of the Vergil missions had stuff like that. They were hit far harder by a lack of AF than most placed in the main game.

This game is 60fps, right? No performance drop is massive. I really wonder if every other game with crappy or nonexistent AF has it turned off. FF15 would gain massive IQ with at least 8x AF.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game is 60fps, right? No performance drop is massive. I really wonder if every other game with crappy or nonexistent AF has it turned off. FF15 would gain massive IQ with at least 8x AF.
Yep and it's rock solid for the most part. There's a couple hiccups when fighting huge numbers of the baby rages and when the levels morph a lot but the drops are minor, brief, and rare.

How was this DMC anyways? I know it got some criticism from the direction they took it but if someone like myself, who has never played a DMC game, would this one be worth a play?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So what the hell is the problem?
Awesome that the patch came and it's a massive improvement, but what was the issue in the first place?

Mastperf

So what the hell is the problem?
Awesome that the patch came and it's a massive improvement, but what was the issue in the first place?
Apparently it takes a little more work to "turn it on" on the PS4. Most PS4 games have AF so I'm not sure what that says about the developers who didn't notice it was missing. It can't be that hard to enable if most developers have been doing it since launch.

Slaythe

Please remember Ninja Theory are not responsible for that mess.

Qloc did the port and missed the AF on Ps4 being non activated.

NT took notice and asked for a fix. NT worked on game balance/content/new technologies, and Qloc did the console ports.

Conduit

Banned
Apparently it takes a little more work to "turn it on" on the PS4. Most PS4 games have AF so I'm not sure what that says about the developers who didn't notice it was missing. It can't be that hard to enable if most developers have been doing it since launch.

Maybe sabotage just before game goes gold. :D

How was this DMC anyways? I know it got some criticism from the direction they took it but if someone like myself, who has never played a DMC game, would this one be worth a play?

In my opinion by far the best DmC. The gameplay is ridiculously solid. The weapons are great and switching between them to create massive combos is really fun and intuitive. I love it. This gameplay is supported by an absolutely stellar soundtrack (a mix of metal and dubstep - doesn't sound much but it really goes).

The story is also by far the best of any DmC so far in my opinion and the levels are much less boring because of it.

Top Bottom