• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face off DmC X1 PS4. Where for art thou AF!

The whole issue with this is so strange. AF is one of the biggest factors in a game's IQ and has almost no performance impact. I would've just put it down to devs being weird but it happens outside of Capcom games too doesn't it? Strange how it seems to be missing a lot on what's obviously more powerful hardware.

Genio88

It could be a PS4 architecture limit, or could be the SDRAM which helps Xbone with AF, thing is if PS4 can't fix it then suddenly 1080p vs 900p won't be enough to have the best version of games, AF is pretty more visible than a few pixels more

It could be a PS4 architecture limit

It's not

, or could be the SDRAM which helps Xbone with AF,

I doubt it

thing is if PS4 can't fix it

It can, it has

then suddenly 1080p vs 900p won't be enough to have the best version of games,

On it's own no

AF is pretty more visible than a few pixels more

Bad AF is definitely more distracting than a slightly lower resolution.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you saying Dying Light got an AF update on PS4? Or am I missing something?
Yeah, it has what appears to be 16x AF after the update.

They still haven't fixed the damn frame-rate cap, though, so indoor areas bounce back and forth between 60 (for a split second) and 30 fps.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
If techland can fix it others can. It's a major part of image quality. 1080p doesn't matter of the rest of your game looks worse than last gen thanks to poor texture filtering

The dying light patch only fixed SOME areas. Not all.

Can anybody talk to ninja theory about it?

Some areas? I think you're confusing someone who posted a bunch of shots but realized he didn't have the patch while the other guys had the patch that added 16x AF.

Slaythe

If techland can fix it others can. It's a major part of image quality. 1080p doesn't matter of the rest of your game looks worse than last gen thanks to poor texture filtering

Oh didn't know
edit :

wrong quote.

Oh so they did fix it. Well glad to know. Should we spam ninja theory to beg for a patch :p ?

Yeah, that was me, patch hasn't arrived in my country so when I checked for an update it said no update availabe, so I assumed it was the latest.

Dynomutt

It could be a PS4 architecture limit, or could be the SDRAM which helps Xbone with AF, thing is if PS4 can't fix it then suddenly 1080p vs 900p won't be enough to have the best version of games, AF is pretty more visible than a few pixels more

Are you just saying this or do you have technical programming experience?

omonimo

Banned
Yeah, it has what appears to be 16x AF after the update.

They still haven't fixed the damn frame-rate cap, though, so indoor areas bounce back and forth between 60 (for a split second) and 30 fps.

Lol to the people who though it was an hardware issue. The troll force it's strong in them.
The first.

According to DF it is when you're standing still, which of course is something you don't do in DMC.

I'm wondering is this something people purposely look for? Im asking because it's something that never caught my eye in Dying Light, and I was oblivious about it until I saw it mentioned on GAF.

The question isn't whether one can notice it or not. The question is why a weaker system can do it where as the more powerful one can't.

omonimo

Banned
Being wrong with a theory and without anyone knowing what's really happening is now trolling. You are one to talk, really.
It has explained tons of times to you to different people xbone hasn't a single hardware advantages to handle better AF but you continued to be in denial. Or you prove concretely to where your theory coming from or you just need to shut up. It's very simple.Yes it's trolling persist in a theory without have a clear idea where coming from, it has explained too the SDK issue it's the most plausible reason.

Slaythe

Capcom has ignored the issue for a long time.

But maybe we can ask ninja theory directly to patch this mess ? I d love for my DMC not to look like crap. :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For everyone who might be confused right now, Dying Light got patched with full phat 16xAF on PS4 a few hours ago. The newest patch (1.05) brought everything up to full clarity with no performance impact.

My question is how many other games might have done this that had these AF issues that we dont know about, cause the devs dont say.

Like that framepacing issue that affected earlier PS4 games.

I think DmC will be patched for AF soon enough. There are other bugs too like sound going out of synch with cut scenes.

Bummer. I was looking forward to this on PS4. Oh well.

are you kidding me? the game still looks and plays great.

For everyone who might be confused right now, Dying Light got patched with full phat 16xAF on PS4 a few hours ago. The newest patch (1.05) brought everything up to full clarity with no performance impact.

My question is how many other games might have done this that had these AF issues that we dont know about, cause the devs dont say

nice, just in time for my second playthrough with the other new updates.

c0de

It has explained tons of times to you xbone hasn't a single hardware advantages to handle better AF but you continued to be in denial. Or you prove concretely to what you theory coming from or you just need to shut up. It's very simple.Yes it's trolling persist in a theory without have a clear idea where coming from. Your excuse start to be annoying.

I guess you are just not used to how to discuss. I was presented with different opinions which didn't even come from you. You only chose to agree with someone elses opinion. But you didn't even get what my theory was about and most probably only got aware of “he is attacking my system, he can't be wrong! Let others disagree and jump on the same wagon!“.
And I annoy you? Well, you are free to ignore me from now on.
Btw, we still don't know what's happening on the system that af is a problem.

c0de

My question is how many other games might have done this that had these AF issues that we dont know about, cause the devs dont say.

Like that framepacing issue that affected earlier PS4 games.

I think DmC will be patched for AF soon enough. There are other bugs too like sound going out of synch with cut scenes.

The question is what stopped them to add it at release and what did they change or got aware of that it happened after five (?) patches?

omonimo

Banned
I guess you are just not used to how to discuss. I was presented with different opinions which didn't even come from you. You only chose to agree with someone elses opinion. But you didn't even get what my theory was about and most probably only got aware of “he is attacking my system, he can't be wrong! Let others disagree and jump on the same wagon!“.
And I annoy you? Well, you are free to ignore me from now on.
Btw, we still don't know what's happening on the system that af is a problem.
Jeez. Opinions needs to be proved to be considered valid. When AF issue isn't explainable not means it's an hardware issue especially when different people have explained clearly how works AF. But you have repeatedly discredit who tried to help to understand how this issue it's not caused to the hardware limits. And, strangely, you believe to anyone else who just put to doubt without give a clear valid tech explaination, it just needs the doubt to you. Sorry but such things have high content of sodium for the discussion. Believe what you want at this point.

Inuhanyou

I just booted the game up and textures still look shitty at an angle. EU version though, I don't know if the patch has even been released for us yet.

In the EU its not patched yet. You have to have patch 1.05 specifically. Another guy in the UK did not have the patch yet either, it must be region timed

The question is what stopped them to add it at release and what did they change or got aware of that it happened after five (?) patches?

Budget, priority. Sometimes you ship a product and go onto the next one without patching much. I know Tomb Raider DE still has some bugs they never bothered to patch at all.

Slaythe

I just booted the game up and textures still look shitty at an angle. EU version though, I don't know if the patch has even been released for us yet.

Yeah apparently that was the problem. They fixed it entirely beyond what we could hope for. But european version is still poop. Just wait a bit :D .

Sorry to insist guys, but one man alone can not make a difference, can we tell ninja theory about that atrocious AF because, as Dying Light proves it, if it shipped that way, it's because they didn't even notice it/saw it too late. (no performance impact on what makes your game look 10 times better. Or in this case makes DmC ps4 looks worse than 360 version)

https://twitter.com/NinjaTheory <3

virtualS

Either developers somewhere are failing to flip a switch or Microsoft is paying $100,000 per game.

I'm betting on the former but wouldn't be surprised by the latter.

It can't be a bandwidth issue. PS4 has more than XBO... probably even at higher resolutions.

Slaythe

Either developers somewhere are failing to flip a switch or Microsoft is paying $100,000 per game.

It can't be a bandwidth issue. PS4 has more than XBO... probably even at higher resolutions.

We now know that the lack of AF on ps4 is lazyness, bad QA letting it slip, or done on purpose to make the xbox one version look better.

Dying Light just patched itself, going from utter garbage to x16 (or at least x8)with no performance difference.

SMZC

In the EU its not patched yet. You have to have patch 1.05 specifically. Another guy in the UK did not have the patch yet either, it must be region timed

Yeah apparently that was the problem. They fixed it entirely beyond what we could hope for. But european version is still poop. Just wait a bit :D

Yup, I just checked, you guys are right, we still have version 1.02 here in Europe.

c0de

You think it's only these two options? Btw, AF is not "flipping a switch" and it doesn't make any sense in a multiplatform game where the better hardware lacks a feature the inferior hardware has. But the fallback option of course is of course money, yes.

Kayant

You say this after being in a topic that shows it can be fixed -
So that's it Xbone was stronger than PS4 all along, resolution was just a trick! &#128522;

Yh it's not like PS4 hasn't had better AF before /s

I blame this on Sony for not doing their due diligence with their SDK to fix this shit after the first game was announced to have this issue. Should be just as easy to have AF as on X1 from the beginning. We shouldn't have to wait for a patch.

Slaythe

I blame this on Sony for not doing their due diligence with their SDK to fix this shit after the first game was announced to have this issue. Should be just as easy to have AF as on X1 from the beginning. We shouldn't have to wait for a patch.

If the devs can fix it that means it shouldn't have shipped this way.

The fact that xbox one is a one click conversion due to using Dx can never be achieved since PS4 uses Open GL. Lazyness and lack of care from Devs are the cause of poor AF on PS4, you can't possibly blame Sony.

Now we just need Ninja Theory to patch DmC.

tuna_love

Banned

You wouldn't be surprised if MS was paying $100000 to have better AF?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

The fact that xbox one is a one click conversion due to using Dx can never be achieved since PS4 uses Open GL. Lazyness and lack of care from Devs are the cause of poor AF on PS4, you can't possibly blame Sony.

Eh-hem, it's Qloc that needs to fix it, I'd say.

Inuhanyou

D10, would you know if DF is still 'looking into' the issue? And if you guys/they are, could you mention the Dying Light patch in the article? It seems like its something that can be patched in with no real impact from my experience with the new patch

We now know that the lack of AF on ps4 is lazyness, bad QA letting it slip, or done on purpose to make the xbox one version look better.

Dying Light just patched itself, going from utter garbage to x16 (or at least x8)with no performance difference.

You think it's only these two options? Btw, AF is not "flipping a switch" and it doesn't make any sense in a multiplatform game where the better hardware lacks a feature the inferior hardware has. But the fallback option of course is of course money, yes.

Agreed.

However, the AF isn't great on DriveClub so what does that mean?

EGM1966

You're almost certainly right. The question based on empirical evidence (number of released titles with AF vs those without) is clearly "why do a minority of titles from specific developers not have suitable AF on PS4 when a majority of titles do have suitable AF?".

However for a number of posters the chance to be "concerned" the PS4 has a specific holistic issue is too tempting to let the evidence get in the way it can't be a big PS4 issue otherwise the majority of games wouldn't have AF on the platform (and they clearly do).

There clearly is an issue of sorts but it's also pretty clearly specific to certain titles which means the question needs to be asked of the devs not Sony.

According to DF it is when you're standing still, which of course is something you don't do in DMC.

I'm wondering is this something people purposely look for? Im asking because it's something that never caught my eye in Dying Light, and I was oblivious about it until I saw it mentioned on GAF.

The way the levels are laid out mean you absolutely will see it, when the environment warps, some of them are like F-Zero-like tracks that you take at walking pace, with not fighting.

He only has experience of loving his xbone very very much.

It has explained tons of times to you to different people xbone hasn't a single hardware advantages to handle better AF but you continued to be in denial. Or you prove concretely to where your theory coming from or you just need to shut up. It's very simple.Yes it's trolling persist in a theory without have a clear idea where coming from, it has explained too the SDK issue it's the most plausible reason.

Are you really surprised? He is the one that called Driveclub a corridor racer.

Slaythe

Drive Club is a visually challenging title, considering that all you can do is drive, I guess they could try to turn it off or have it lower to keep performance target. It doesn't have "exploration" per say, it also has a big movement speed so the draw distance and AF can be more demanding.

That doesn't mean every ps4 game can have AF x16, it of course depends what else the game does.

The main issue was games that are clearly not visually challenging (from Dying Light to PORTS FROM PS3), while the Xbox One has great AF on those titles.

I mean, we had the case where a PS3 game actually did look better than the PS4 version. In fact, DmC looks worse on Ps4 than on Xbox 360, on screenshots anyway (game being really fast it does look better in movement).
That's just not excusable.

But I expect Bloodborne to have somewhat poor AF due to the environments being extremely rich and detailed. Should be x4. AF is not "a given" on new games since the other technologies might actually require more "horsepower".

Well yeah, but the fact that some developers didn't notice the issue and let it ship this way is more concerning. I mean, clearly, given how BAD it is, it wouldn't be surprising that everybody had the issue and they just looked into it and fixed it "themselves". Some games with lower budget (or ports) apparently didn't bother. And then we have the savior Dying light. But if the issue is so common, I don't get why Qloc didn't sort it out in the first place ? Maybe because the Devs fixed it themselves on most games ?

Top Bottom