• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faces in FFX ps2 vs. FFX ps3. What do you guys think? will ps4 version be better?

H5zj3Yf.jpg

I think everyone but Auron looks worse.
they seem have alot more of a dead eye look.
Lulu doesn't look too bad, just a more pale skin tone, but the eyes on everyone are less expressive. Good thing auron only has one eye and it's covered by glasses lol.
I hope the ps4 version can correct this and make the faces more expressive again. :)

jiggle

Tuna's faces in remaster are fug
They had a chance to remodel them closer to the CG version and failed spectacularly

Edit: Lol wakka is pretty wretched too

PS4 faces are going to be the same as the PS3 faces

I hope not man. i saw a screen shot of jecht and they looked like they added detail. i was hoping for some touch ups especially to the main characters. i mean we have to look at Tidus' face for 90% of the game it should be well done, no?

Zafir

They'll be the same, it'll just be rendered at a higher resolution. Maybe higher resolution textures too, if they're kind.

Which sucks, because most of them look so fugly.

Vashetti

Banned
They're not touching up the main party's graphics.

“In addition to the visual upgrades that the main character models, textures, and backgrounds received for the PS3 version, more NPCs and monsters join their carefully reworked counterparts.”

They literally did that for Type-0 and everyone complained.

type 0 faces looked good. the plastic looking hair was the bad part.

And yet I will triple dip. I enjoy this game but I wasn't expecting a major graphical overhaul.

yeah i'm gonna get it but I just don't see how faces on ps3/ps4 look worse than ps2. I can't recall any HD version of a game other than FFX having worse faces lol

Ishida

Banned
This is literally the ONLY reason that is stopping me from buying the HD Remaster. The new faces bother me A LOT.

Rising_Hei

Faces weren't bad for the low polly models but...... for higher polly modes, original faces were much much much better...... they should just used the original high polly mode for every single face imo, idk what were they thinking :/ it had an amateurish look

Blobbers

PS3 has better:
-Auron face
-Yuna face

PS2 has better:
-Wakka face
-Lulu face
-Tidus face

based on the pictures

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Can't they just use the CG models? Square Enix plz put effort.

Wtf. How would the CG visual works models in any way work with(albeit updated) ps2 graphics? Not to say that's even a viable thing. There were no CG models in FFX outside of the actual CGI movies in the game, everything is real time...

The ps2 faces are vastly superior. Why the hd remaster didnt just use the cutscene models i will never know :(

Tidus face in hd remaster is awful

Oh good comparison! I didn't notice a significant difference in quality from the ps2 to the ps4 trailer. I thought it was just my apathy towards graphics.

Rising_Hei

PS3 has better:
-Auron face
-Yuna face

PS2 has better:
-Wakka face
-Lulu face
-Tidus face

based on the pictures

Yuna looks better on PS2 as well imo... it's more detailed
And the most trouble is that their facial expressions aren't as good...

HeelPower

The expressions are a lot worse... D:

Why didn't they just use the higher poly models and simply improve some of the textures ?

The new modeling was just odd O:

ib0UHMIo8VXi0P.gif

Vs.

iiFXA2awEL9lu.gif

The option to switch between the HD and original character models is what it needs.

Yup...It looks worse in motion and that's the biggest issue.

Roto13

They're generally better but I think Yuna had a stroke or something. Check out the spoilery comparison of the two versions of Yuna's best scene. HD version is soooo disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxeZC_Q4hmU

(Yes, this was taken from a trailer and not the final version of the game, but it does look exactly the same in the final version.)

EDIT: GIFs got posted while I was looking the video up. :(

I think all of them look better aside from Tidus' stupidly round face.

Edit: That said, I don't know why they had to change some of the features and geometry so much.

Like that Tidus comparison in the lower left of the OP. Who looks at that and thinks "Nailed it!" ?

Go_Ly_Dow

They touched the faces because the superior faces you see were all used in pre-rendered cutscenes which back then must have been sub-hd video files.

Since they couldn't remaster those video files in to 1080p they had no option but to go real-time with all models.

Not saying this is the definite reason, but it's very likely why.

Vashetti

Banned
They touched the faces because the superior faces you see were all used in pre-rendered cutscenes which back then must have been sub-hd video files.

Since they couldn't remaster those video files in to 1080p they had no option but to go real-time with all models.

Not saying this is the definite reason, but it's very likely why.

Uh... nope. Scroll two posts up and you can see the cutscene character in a model viewer.

Boot the PS2 game up in PCSX2, turn up the settings. Cutscenes improve too, they are not video files.

sensui-tomo

IIRC Rikku had the worst non-cinematic player model of the group, its jarring when you get to "Home" since the model switches back and forth. Wish they'd just use the same model throughout the game.
ce53aa63_Rikku.png

Go_Ly_Dow

Uh... nope. Scroll two posts up and you can see the cutscene character in a model viewer.

Boot the PS2 game up in PCSX2, turn up the settings. Cutscenes improve too, they are not video files.

ah so it's a poor design decision then. no surprise given how common that is modern FF games.

Top Bottom