• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faces in FFX ps2 vs. FFX ps3. What do you guys think? will ps4 version be better?

I think I prefer Auron's old look.

Also, I wonder how the new faces were received by Japanese players. Maybe Square was trying to cater to a specific demographic with the new models? Regardless, they look godawful, and I sincerely wish they made a PC version so modders could fix that shit.

Japanese players also LOLd at the bad faces. Everyone hoped (even the japanese) the faces would be more like the originals upcoming to release.. it just didnt happen. :(

jett

D-Member
They're not.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Tidus' face is fucking inexplicable. What the fuck.

Go_Ly_Dow

They're not.

ku-xlarge.jpg

It is monstrously bad, what they did to Tidus' face. Holy crap.

Ouch. Brutal.

My god Tidus in the bottom picture...

I'm sorry. There is no excuse for this face. Did the shanghai company make them?

Auron on the other hand.. he looks great IMO.
And even the background ground texture has been improved. Too bad the focus is always on tidus.. Jarring.

Faces of Botox.

Just realized Auron's face has been changed too...

His face is sort of squished together now...His eyes,nose and mouth are all closer together and his expression is different...

ugh :v

Tidus' face is fucking inexplicable. What the fuck.

not that much better, but his face is different from both shots in the final release.

https://youtu.be/Ml4Xy20ITj8?t=896

oni_saru

Yeah the HD is kind of a disappointment in that regard. If i ever go back to replay all of FFX, i'll just play the ps2 version.

Original version>>>HD version. This is kind of a sad thing to say. Haha

eh, I think people are making a way bigger deal out of it than it really is. The HD version isn't perfect, don't get me wrong, but it's still the way I'd recommend most people to check out the game. First off, you get the additional content from the International version. Second off, environments, colors, and damn near everything besides the faces when viewed up close look better in the HD version. I hardly even noticed the differences in the faces either, I just sort of assumed that the PS2 version always looked kind of rough. It's a bummer seeing it side by side, but really... hardly a dealbreaker.

OuterLimits

While I enjoy the remaster, the odd faces and remastered music sometimes are annoying. I also find it a joke that apparently the big selling point of the PS4 version is being able to play the original soundtrack. Gee thanks for not having that option in the PS3 version Square.

Naedtrax

Banned
Wow.. I guess i don't feel bad for playing it on an emulator for these past couple of years =/ Looks so much better.. i'll post some screenshots.

eh, I think people are making a way bigger deal out of it than it really is. The HD version isn't perfect, don't get me wrong, but it's still the way I'd recommend most people to check out the game. First off, you get the additional content from the International version. Second off, environments, colors, and damn near everything besides the faces when viewed up close look better in the HD version. I hardly even noticed the differences in the faces either, I just sort of assumed that the PS2 version always looked kind of rough. It's a bummer seeing it side by side, but really... hardly a dealbreaker.

I think the big deal is the faces were fine before with no need to be changed. I mean how can you remaster a game and make the main characters faces worse :(

:(
cRY5XmR.jpg

1x4BLoG.png

Wow.. I guess i don't feel bad for playing it on an emulator for these past couple of years =/ Looks so much better.. i'll post some screenshots.

PCSX2 version is awesome. 1080p and superior ps2 faces :)
one of the best running games on PCSX2 as well.

Naedtrax

Banned
I think the big deal is the faces were fine before with no need to be changed. I mean how can you remaster a game and make the main characters faces worse :(

:(
cRY5XmR.jpg

1x4BLoG.png

PCSX2 version is awesome. 1080p and superior ps2 faces :)
one of the best running games on PCSX2 as well.

Ugh those faces.. every time man, every time. You couldn't PAY me to play it like that. Straight in the childhood.

PCSX2 is great, i have it downsampled from 4K with insane amounts of MSAA and there's no jaggies at all lol. It really shows the imperfections on backgrounds and stuff tho

I remember when it came out on PS2 they said one of the best things about the game was the "Emotion engine" Well they sure got rid of that in the remaster

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This is coming to ps4? Might get them then, never played either and most likely won't come to PC so

Valnen

Ugh those faces.. every time man, every time. You couldn't PAY me to play it like that. Straight in the childhood.

PCSX2 is great, i have it downsampled from 4K with insane amounts of MSAA and there's no jaggies at all lol. It really shows the imperfections on backgrounds and stuff tho

It seems like people are nitpicking this with the worst screenshots they can find. The HD version looks great 99% of the time IMO. It's also the superior version gameplay wise thanks to the inclusion of content we never got in NA.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think people are really making too big a deal out of such a thing. They keep linking to screenshots that are not even the actual game but are alpha shots from before launch that they've since improved in the retail game.

The remaster by and large( outside of one's mileage on the design of faces and the lack of facial capture like the original release) is far improved from adding of environmental detail to texture uprezzing compared to the original release. Even the beef with the music will be soon fixed where they give you the option of both soundtracks.

All the extra international version content that your not going to see outside of the Japanese release, its well worth the price of entree

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It seems like people are nitpicking this with the worst screenshots they can find. The HD version looks great 99% of the time IMO. It's also the superior version gameplay wise thanks to the inclusion of content we never got in NA.

Unless you have International, in which case... I'd rather take the PS2 version, which looks great 100% of the time anyway.

suzu

I mean.. if I'm recommending the game to people who've never played it before, it'd be the remastered version.

But those remastered faces are still pretty ugly and jarring for someone who's played the original.

Hasney

I'm glad I don't like FFX all that much looking through this thread. Ouch.

However, this is making me not want a FFXII and to stick with the fan translation of the zodiac job system....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mean.. if I'm recommending the game to people who've never played it before, it'd be the remastered version.

But those remastered faces are still pretty ugly and jarring for someone who's played the original.

In general, the game is still in a weird place. They didn't put motion capture even in the original release, so you have all these cut-scenes where the characters will just move in their run animations or do the same gestures forever without doing any nuanced movements.

I understand why they could not clean those up, it probably would have elevated the game to a different level of production.

Valnen

I'm glad I don't like FFX all that much looking through this thread. Ouch.

However, this is making me not want a FFXII and to stick with the fan translation of the zodiac job system....

Don't base your opinion of the HD collection off some bitter fans and cherrypicked screenshots that aren't even from the final build.

Hasney

Don't base your opinion of the HD collection off some bitter fans and cherrypicked screenshots that aren't even from the final build.

I'm not. I'm also basing it off walking past my housemate playing it and assuming what I saw was just because I saw it in passing until this thread.

It's simple really: ffxhd yuna only cares about receiving not sunflower seeds on her face while original yuna is a real woman and feels it. Like shulk. Ffxhd yuna needs some shulk time.

Vashetti

Banned
My problem with Yuna's new face is that she looks older in her early twenties.

She's supposed to be a naive 17-year-old who doesn't really know much about the world.

Wait a minute.

People are comparing the Remaster alpha shots to the PS2 version?

:/

We should at least put out evidence that is legitimate. I didn't even know there were alterations from prerelease shots versus the final! If someone wants to capture direct release build shots and compare them to the Remaster alpha vs. the PS2 version, that would be great to clear up all of this FUD. I'm all for calling out bullshit in a remaster, but let's give the damn game a fair shake at least. If no one else does it, I'll try to do it tomorrow when I've got the time. I'm interested to see if they really did improve the mannequin faces from those alpha shots.

Edit: fuck it. Threw it together.

ghzpmhi.jpg

Not quite perfect still, but not the travesty people are making it out to be over inaccurate screenshots. The worse lighting is still inexplicable. Ironically, the PS2 original is closer to the aesthetics of the game's CGI is than the remaster's attempt at matching the models to the CGI.

Wait a minute.

We should at least put out evidence that is legitimate. I didn't even know there were alterations from prerelease shots versus the final! If someone wants to capture direct release build shots and compare them to the Remaster alpha vs. the PS2 version, that would be great to clear up all of this FUD. I'm all for calling out bullshit in a remaster, but let's give the damn game a fair shake at least. If no one else does it, I'll try to do it tomorrow when I've got the time. I'm interested to see if they really did improve the mannequin faces from those alpha shots.

ghzpmhi.jpg

Not quite perfect still, but not the travesty people are making it out to be over inaccurate screenshots. The worse lighting is still inexplicable. Ironically, the PS2 original is closer to the aesthetics of the game's CGI is than the remaster's attempt at matching the models to the CGI.

Tidus went from leonardo dicaprio in the ps2 version to Chucky the doll in ps3 version :(
It's shameful more reviews didn;t crack down on this obvious blunder.

The new faces wouldn't nearly be as bad if it weren't for the dead eyes. The lack of effort Square put into making sure the cutscenes were properly preserved is really borderline offensive.

Because they review the gameplay and story, not its graphics.

lol what? the gameplay and story are the same except for international content. One of the biggest selling factors was the improved resolution and better textures. They mentioned those fine but they left out the part about how screwed up the faces were :(

lol what? the gameplay and story are the same except for international content. One of the biggest selling factors was the improved resolution and better textures. They mentioned those fine but they left out the part about how screwed up the faces were :(

It was probably an idea that should have been shot down after they realized they weren't willing put the work into reanimating the cutscenes.

elyetis

Wait a minute.

ghzpmhi.jpg

Sooo Tidus and Auron look better in the original anyway, but they were able to make Auron look worst between alpha and retail ?
I don't know how they were able to fuck up Tidus hair that much, and the lighting.. and the face.

Myriadis

At least Tidus' punchable face looks more punchable now. No graphical improvement can change that abomination of a character anyway.

And given that in most cutscenes their movements are absolutely robotic I don't see how it could be worse.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I still don't see the point of this, isn't this essentially the same thing as the PS3 version? I assume I am missing something...

I was just comparing the textures, not the faces, that's why I didn't mind in using the alpha screen since the textures are the same as the final build.

I'm not currently playing through the ps4 hd edition and the bad faces with screwed up animations are making me wanna restart on an emulator.

It's pissing me off.

Tidus: "what's she smiling about?"

*pans to Yuna with a locked blank face*

Ugh!!

While this is a strange bump, I'll just chime in saying the faces are just one thing keeping me away.

The other thing is THE single feature that would make faces irrelevant: SKIP. SCENE.

How the hell can you ship a 40+ hours console RPG without a skip scene in 2010s?! I had hoped it would be patched in but the fact that it still isn't is unacceptable.

It would be the one feature needed to make me bite the bullet as I can have fun exploring the combat/progression system without going through the story for the 10th time.

While this is a strange bump, I'll just chime in saying the faces are just one thing keeping me away.

The other thing is THE single feature that would make faces irrelevant: SKIP. SCENE.

How the hell can you ship a 40+ hours console RPG without a skip scene in 2010s?! I had hoped it would be patched in but the fact that it still isn't is unacceptable.

It would be the one feature needed to make me bite the bullet as I can have fun exploring the combat/progression system without going through the story for the 10th time.

Sorry for bump, I just had to vent because of the PS4 port. It looks horrible.

I caved and grabbed a ps2 copy and it's LEAGUES better. The animation, lip syncing, expressions, and face models are like a completely different game. I also noticed a lot of the original atmosphere is lost in the HD versions too.

Glad FFXII HD is actually a quality remaster.

Top Bottom