• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faces in FFX ps2 vs. FFX ps3. What do you guys think? will ps4 version be better?

They lost KH entirely, which might be what you're remembering.

KH 1.5 HD was built by two guys who decompiled a retail PS2 copy of KH and rebuilt the game.

Thanks for the info. I did some searching and it looks like FFX had the same problem to some degree as well.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/27/4152076/final-fantasy-x-and-x-2-hd-questions-answered

There's also the fact that we don't have all of the data from the original development project left. We're working with an external development studio and an internal staff for this project, and our internal programmers are the one handling data salvage and repair. In some ways, it'd be easier to just rebuild some of the stuff from scratch.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ib0UHMIo8VXi0P.gif

Vs.

iiFXA2awEL9lu.gif

The option to switch between the HD and original character models is what it needs.
This almost hurts me. I'm so used to the better cutscene models.

MrDenny

Majority of the work was outsourced to a company in Shanghai.
They screwed up Tidus and Yuna's face in the remaster.
FFX-2 character models looked more softer/rounder.

They lost KH entirely, which might be what you're remembering.

KH 1.5 HD was built by two guys who decompiled a retail PS2 copy of KH and rebuilt the game.

That's amazing, I love reading about that kind of stuff.

As far as FFX faces between each version of the game, whatever. In all honesty I wish they did the Halo Anniversary thing where you can press a button and have it go back to the original graphics or HD graphics vice versa.

I think Lulu was the only one i was happy about..

anyway, they won't change for the PS4 remaster. Oh well. You get used to them..

Let's all be honest here, we couldn't tell the difference in ops pictures right?

I don't think the ps4 version is going to be all that different.

well supposedly it's going to bring all the npc models up to snuff. While i agree the hd version of Yuna seems to have some kind of facial paralysis going on, most of them look fine.

klee123

Yeah, not a huge fan of the HD remaster faces.

The most jarring change is definitely Yuna who looks so different. It's the eyes.....

Darknight

Why didnt they just hi-res the cut scene models from the PS2 models? Why remake them? Seems like Yuna's eyes were made to stay straight all time too.

Windforce

Why didnt they just hi-res the cut scene models from the PS2 models? Why remake them? Seems like Yuna's eyes were made to stay straight all time too.

I think I remember reading about the PS3 having some trouble running the remaster.

PS3 had emotion engine and some quick RAM I don't remember the name (was it ESRAM?), that the PS3 doesn't. So they had to adapt PS3 models.

Either way, I don't think the PS3 remaster looks bad. They all look like plastic mannequins anyway, be it on PS2 or PS3. A slightly deader expression on PS3 is not what would ruin this game.

I absolutely love this game and I got platinum on PS3. The remaster is awesome.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tidus and Yuna's faces are objectively worse. Rikku, Lulu, and Auron's faces are objectively the same or better(especially rikku's, they made her amazing). Wakka's is a toss up based on your view(i think he looks like shit)

In any case, the faces in motion arent so bad outside of screenshots, you get used to them eventually. I think the biggest issue i hope they fix is the load times, that's something that annoyed me much more(although the KH remaster load times were even worse)

Rikku <3

The next time I play FFX, it will be the original PS2 game. It's really disappointing to see what happened to the animations when they changed the character models. It would probably require a hell of a lot of work to get the newer models to work as well as the old ones in cutscenes. Square, of course, outsourced the port and wasn't willing to go through the effort that FFX deserves. Really disappointing that this is the state in which the game will be preserved.

Inuhanyou

^ Besides the faces which are hit or miss? It looks like the best version(as it should). They basically redid a lot of the assets and textures again, they look better than the ps3 version very noticeably.

Wait. How are the original's textures less detailed than the HD version. What the hell?

Er...you'd expect them to be right?

^ Besides the faces which are hit or miss? It looks like the best version(as it should). They basically redid a lot of the assets and textures again, they look better than the ps3 version very noticeably.

Er...you'd expect them to be right?

Oops, slipped up. Meant to say that the original's textures look more detailed to me than the HD version. Wut.

Dice//

Banned
H5zj3Yf.jpg

I think everyone but Auron looks worse.
they seem have alot more of a dead eye look.
Lulu doesn't look too bad, just a more pale skin tone, but the eyes on everyone are less expressive. Good thing auron only has one eye and it's covered by glasses lol.
I hope the ps4 version can correct this and make the faces more expressive again. :)

Any time I've brought this up no one's said a damn thing. Thank you Tidus_Great!! I 1,000% agree, it's just not the same. Yu--- Tuna especially went from looking like a person to a bad drawing of one on a 3D canvas.

ib0UHMIo8VXi0P.gif

Vs.

iiFXA2awEL9lu.gif

The option to switch between the HD and original character models is what it needs.

The emotion Tuna feels magically went away in HD.

Wazzy

Banned
The remaster faces are pretty bad on Yuna, Tidus and Rikku.

I remember there's one scene where Tidus asks Yuna why she's smiling and it cut's to her blank face lmao

Kuro

This and some of the bad remixes for the soundtrack were really disappointing but I'm used to it with Square nowadays.

This and some of the bad remixes for the soundtrack were really disappointing but I'm used to it with Square nowadays.

I think I read that the PS4 version has an option for the original soundtrack. Some of the gif comparisons in this thread are scaring me off though.

Dice//

Banned
ib0UHMIo8VXi0P.gif

Seriously though, be nice if they could add like a few more 3D faces for her long ass earring so it's not a long flat paper-like ornament.

Inuhanyou

Oops, slipped up. Meant to say that the original's textures look more detailed to me than the HD version. Wut.

That pic is probably cropped from the Vita version. I'm playing through it now on PSTV(i previously beat the PS3 version) and the textures on the vita version are much worse in many cases. You can tell that while the vita has power to hold many of the same graphical assets of the PS3 version, the actual resolutions on a lot of them is in many cases similar or worse than the PS2 version.

It doesn't really matter if you changed the clothes on a guy if the outfit is a blurry mess right in front of your face

theofficefan99

I prefer both the models and soundtrack of the original version compared to the Remaster. They kind of effed up, in my opinion. Fortunately, PS4 version will be offering the original soundtrack

Illucio

Banned
blank said:

I figured out why this scene looks less emotional, it's because there is less facial movements (eyebrows for example) and the movement is very fast rather then more slow. The fast speed shows more anger, while the slower version shows more emotion/passion. It's just shows how a difference in speed can change how something moves you.

ppor

Why does the HD version have such bad lighting? Everything looks super dark. Don't tell me the whole game is like that?

Xenus

How is it that the ps2 version looks better?? The lighting looks much better. PS3 version looks flat.

Honestly I think it's bad art direction by who was doing the remaster also they need to fix the hell out of their eye shaders it's sad when the ps2 eyes look more realistic and alive then the hd version on most cases. Also could do with reworking the animations a bit

I really don't understand why they changed their faces, why the need for such a change ? Except for Auron, they all look worst to me. And it was also weird to have new models Yuna and Rikku in FFX and old models in FFX-2.

Why does the HD version have such bad lighting? Everything looks super dark. Don't tell me the whole game is like that?

it's not. the game is super vibrant and colorful.

i personally hate the faces. but you get used to them, and no one should avoid this amazing game, oneof my favourite final fantasy games, because of faces. you're missing out big time if you do.

especially if you've never played before. this is a MUST PLAY. it has a perfect, speedy battle system, nice story, awesome music.. i could go on!

Klossen

Banned
The Remastered faces are terrible. It's like, all they had to do was up the native res, but no, let's make unneccessary changes to something beloved by fans because. They did the same with Uematsu's OST, making it needlessly loud and clumsy. What a terrible remaster. Didn't even add the single feature that FFX lacked, skippable cutscenes.

Kain

Lulu looks great, Tidus is nightmare fuel. Maybe they'll find a middle ground?

This remaster is so unnecessary.

crashblades

Neo Member
The easiest fix is use certain old cutscenes. The problem is really only during cutscene ( some ps2 cutscene used ingame model which is worse than the ps3 ingame model).

In general ALL ingame model on ps3 is better than ps2.
BUT some cutscene on ps2 had better faces than ps3.
The cutscene using "ingame model" is better on ps3.
The cutscene using "cutscene model" is better on ps2.

/breakdown

Top Bottom