• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faces in FFX ps2 vs. FFX ps3. What do you guys think? will ps4 version be better?

Wait. How are the original's textures more detailed than the HD version. What the hell?

They're not.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Slaythe

The easiest fix is use certain old cutscenes. The problem is really only during cutscene ( some ps2 cutscene used ingame model which is worse than the ps3 ingame model).

In general ALL ingame model on ps3 is better than ps2.
BUT some cutscene on ps2 had better faces than ps3.
The cutscene using "ingame model" is better on ps3.
The cutscene using "cutscene model" is better on ps2.

/breakdown

It s not worse at all.

They might not be cutscenes models but they looked good on an aesthetic level. Hell original ingame tidus looked better than meg ryan Tidus. The fact that he had less bones and animations is notable and jarring but it doesnt make him look bad.

Now the ps3 bottox/doll horror on the other hand, looks atrocious no matter what except from the back or from very far.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Everything is the same

Ouch. Brutal.

Yes the actual design in general is inferior compared to the original, but to be fair there are different LOD of the faces in the game used at different times..and the better LOD arent as offensive depending on which one you look at, that one in that pic is the lowest res one in the game.

Compared to this one which is the second highest

The issue is that they fucked up the LOD transitions in a lot of scenes, so the lowest level of the PS3 version would be compared with the highest scene(with mocap) of the PS2 version, which makes it look much worse than it should.

They probably changed the faces because the lowest level LOD of the PS2 faces was absurdly low, just a flat texture, which would have messed with the presentation i guess was their thought

DGaio

If they have the tendency to outsource the older titles remasters to other companies and this is the result, I'm a bit worried in how FF XII will turn out if they ever decide to do it. Hopefully they had the decency of backing up the source code of FF XII and all the assets.

Yep, new faces are horrible. No personality whatsoever.

They should also update the NPC models, but it seems they're too lazy to bother with that stuff. Type-0 had the same issue, and it was jarring as hell.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
From what I saw PS4 version is PS3 version, only with faster loading times.

^ What did you see? The PS4 version in screenshots is much more noticeable side by side

If they have the tendency to outsource the older titles remasters to other companies and this is the result, I'm a bit worried in how FF XII will turn out if they ever decide to do it. Hopefully they had the decency of backing up the source code of FF XII and all the assets.

What result? The remaster is great, the face designs are a hit or miss. Should not stop anyone from playing the game

ConceptX

I'm sorry. There is no excuse for this face. Did the shanghai company make them?

Auron on the other hand.. he looks great IMO.
And even the background ground texture has been improved. Too bad the focus is always on tidus.. Jarring.

Virtuous as far as I'm aware did practically everything, Square Enix did almost nothing apart from assisting by reassembling original assets and having a small hand in the scores remaster, and publishing the game.

It's been a long time since keeping up on the HD development though, so take it with a grain of salt.

The menus are redone excellently in X HD though imo, X-2 less so.

Lothar

Banned
Someone should email Square and ask why the characters look so bad and unemotional. I just want to see what'd they say.

They're not.

ku-xlarge.jpg

I think I prefer Auron's old look.

Also, I wonder how the new faces were received by Japanese players. Maybe Square was trying to cater to a specific demographic with the new models? Regardless, they look godawful, and I sincerely wish they made a PC version so modders could fix that shit.

Slaythe

I think I prefer Auron's old look.

Also, I wonder how the new faces were received by Japanese players. Maybe Square was trying to cater to a specific demographic with the new models? Regardless, they look godawful, and I sincerely wish they made a PC version so modders could fix that shit.

Play on emulator with widescreen patch. You lose menus. You gain faces you can look at without vomiting.

I ended up getting the vita vision and almost got the platinum trophy and loved the graphic improvements but not sure PS4 is going to be that much better.

But playing in the big screen is always fun

Zophar

This seems like the ultimate nitpick. They were barely expressive, 14 year old early full 3D to begin with. In most scenes they talk through textures animated mouths anyway.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I held off on another playthrough of FFX to wait for the remaster. It's a little disheartening that because of a number of oddities, like the messed up faces, the PS2 version is still arguably the better way to play it.

I hope they switch the faces back for the PS4 version, but... I wouldn't count on it.

This seems like the ultimate nitpick. They were barely expressive, 14 year old early full 3D to begin with. In most scenes they talk through textures animated mouths anyway.

i don't think noticing the botch job they did on the main characters faces is nitpicking. It's a story driven game and I have to stare at faces, it sucks when the new faces are creepy and bad :(. Especially Tidus, I mean it legitimately hurt my enjoyment of my favorite game of all time :(

PowderedToast

iirc the original models were hand animated to the jp dub, so if square lost the source files they couldn't just up res them as lip sync standards have changed and there would be an expectation for them to match the english. so it makes sense that they built it from the ground up, it's just of a much lower quality

the original ffx was a remarkable achievement in that regard

Top Bottom