• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fact: You have never seen a skateboarder successfully land a trick in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

Snakeyes said:
Blading gives you so much more freedom.

In about 10-15 years from now we'll have high powered motorized skates with crazy suspension and everyone will forget about skateboarding.

Nothing beats spandex and having your feet strapped into skates. Maybe ballet.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i was juuuuust thinking about this yesterday, i dont think ive seen anyone land a kickflip, and ive seen people attempt it almost every day

the skateboarders in your area must suck ass then. theres a skate park about 8 minutes from my house, see cool shit all the time

kehs

Banned
I should have ollied over this thread, instead I decided to come in here and finish kickflipping the op for his ludicrious grind statements.

Go back to hanging out with you kmart board skateboarding crew.

Snakeyes

Tom Penny said:
Nothing beats spandex and having your feet strapped into skates. Maybe ballet.

Don't see any spandex here;

3516280551_e55d5d7e45.jpg

None here either;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3M74u0XZa4&feature=related

Maybe here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_vrO526is

Nope. Let's try this again;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fbysbQrAGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FsbV-bOqbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArjfHI4ODC0

What are you on?

rvy

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
Not once. Admit it.

Every skateboarder I've come across who's attempted any sort of trick has failed EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Uhm... no. And I don't even have that many skater friends. A couple or so.

Kisaya

I can relate so much to this. When I used to live in my old neighborhood a new skateboard shop opened up. Everyday when I passed by there were very annoying, obnoxious skateboarders making the same lame tricks that they never landed on. It was just all that you heard in that area.

Skateboarding is really cool professionally, but I really can't stand the amateur ones. I know it's mean because they're learning and all, but the types of personality these kids have sometimes make me not feel as bad.

loosus

Banned
While I have seen a few tricks in real life come out okay, here is how it usually goes:

--"Yeah, man, check this shit out. *falls on his face...again and again*"

--"Yeah, man, I can totally do that shit. Ask Jeremy. I'm just not feeling up to it right now."

Seeing a trick in real life -- even the simple stuff -- is like hunting for Big Foot.

And even when they "pull it off," they usually do something else that fucks it up enough that you wouldn't dare be used as a witness to the trick's performance.

Shadybiz

About the most I've managed was a successful ollie up onto a street curb. That was the high point of my skating career. I've thought about giving it another go, but I'm over 30 now...bones aren't rubber like they are when you're 15.

Its all down hill after 30! I have a friend that can still land a 360 kick flip pretty much on demand. 30lbs heavier and 15 years later he can still bust it out.

Funny. I was just watching some kids skateboard and realized the same thing. I knew a lot of skateboarders who would constantly try to land tricks when we would hang out. I don't remember them landing any though.

lol were you guys around like fat nerds who got like a tony hawk board from wal mart or something? i've seen many sets landed, like real stair sets not just herp derp ollie up the curb but i guess the demographic here isn't conducive to that

Shadybiz

HeadlessRoland said:
Its all down hill after 30! I have a friend that can still land a 360 kick flip pretty much on demand. 30lbs heavier and 15 years later he can still bust it out.

I read you loud and clear. Skating is certainly not impossible after 30. Just never put enough effort into it, I suppose.

Mazer Rackham said:
how the hell does he flip the board when it's on its side?

What side? Like where the side of the board/trucks is touching? Those are actually easy if you push down on the board you can flip it relatively easy back to the regular position you ride at.

Do you mean this?

That's the only trick of his I used to be able to do. People used to refuse to play horse with me because of it. :lol

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What side? Like where the side of the board/trucks is touching? Those are actually easy if you push down on the board you can flip it relatively easy back to the regular position you ride at.

Do you mean this?

That's the only trick of his I used to be able to do. People used to refuse to play horse with me because of it. :lol
I'd refuse to play with you, too.
No pressure flips and touching the ground during SKATE.

Patrick Bateman said:
I'd refuse to play with you, too.
No pressure flips and touching the ground during SKATE.

Bah, you're no fun. We never really had any rules like that with the people I played with.

animlboogy said:
Even watching the guys who are pretty good around town, the success rate is probably like 30 percent. Skateboarding is a tough business.

Well obviously. Even the pros don't land their tricks 100% of the time.

akira28

Go to skatepark
Watch kids skate
Disprove OP
Profit.

I mean, just because all your friends are shitty skaters, the good ones have ro come from somewhere.

krae_man

You're right.

I once saw a BMX rider bunny hop on his front wheel up a flight of stairs, I saw another climb up a huge pile of rocks, yet I've never ever seen a skateboarder even hit a kick flip.

Slavik81

Stumpokapow said:
Sounds like the beginning of a modern day version of "Waiting for Godot" entitled "Waiting for my fucking friend to land his ollie"

Setting: The Mall, food court entrance

Characters: 4 fourteen year olds, all wearing Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, Nirvana, Slayer, Scarface, or "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" hoodies.
This made my day.

Union Square NYC, dudes landing 180 flips like it is boring. Overall though, I have seen way more failed trick attempts in the park than I have seen landed. But that's what makes skating awesome, the tricks are incredibly hard to master. Much like why a goal in soccer is so fucking amazing.

TheTowel

Like most have said, skaqteboarders strive for the next best trick. After you perfect a move, you move to bigger and better things.

/thread

legbone

Stumpokapow said:
Sounds like the beginning of a modern day version of "Waiting for Godot" entitled "Waiting for my fucking friend to land his ollie"

Setting: The Mall, food court entrance

Characters: 4 fourteen year olds, all wearing Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, Nirvana, Slayer, Scarface, or "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" hoodies.

i literally laughed at this until my fucking stomach hurt. thank you.

oh, and mullen is a fucking alien.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've seen lots of people attempt tricks and then try to look cool after failing

Saw a kid successfully land multiple flip tricks [at a skate camp].

at an actual park, there were plenty of people doing stuff in the bowls that weren't fucking up every time.

Eh, I suppose actually having skated for a little while helps.

I have a cousin that's been skateboarding since the '80s. He currently owns his own skate shop, and he and his crew make their own skate videos, with everything from street freestyling, to bowls, to half-pipes. The first trick I remember seeing him do, was a stationary 360 ollie, when he was 12yrs old.

I also work with a 38yr-old guy who still skateboards, regularly. He's always skating around our parking lot, doing kickflips, curb slides, etc.. Been skating since the '80s, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom