• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 Animator Claims Studio is Cutting Projects, Needs Funding

Shiggy

wsippel said:
Strange. I always thought Achim was the CEO and only employee at Factor5 Germany. The studio was at least very, very small, doing mostly R&D for Factor5 USA as far as I know. Anyway, they are working with an "old friends in the industry"? Nintendo or Lucasarts (or both)? Or did he mean actual people, like Manfred Trenz?

He probably was the only employee at Factor 5 GmbH until December 2008. But then Factor 5 Inc. had financial troubles and - as far as I understand - the remaining assets and projects as well as some of the core employees were absorbed into Factor 5 GmbH.

Wasn't Factor 5 GmbH only a vehicle of the US company when most of the staff moved to the US?

Bizzyb

Banned
Sony probably burned the shit out of them once LAIR was confirmed to be a bomb

They should have stuck with Nintendo and built hi-tech hardware/engines for Wii, but Noooo they just had to pull a RARE/SK and now look at them, washed up like the rest of'em.
This just goes to show that if you stick with Nintendo you'll be alright cause they won't allow you to release shit, unlike MS and Sony who only ask "...But, Are the graphics any good??"

Oneself

Bizzyb said:

They should have stuck with Nintendo and built hi-tech hardware/engines for Wii, but Noooo they just had to pull a RARE/SK and now look at them, washed up like the rest of'em.
This just goes to show that if you stick with Nintendo you'll be alright cause they won't allow you to release shit, unlike MS and Sony who only ask "...But, Are the graphics any good??"

:lol Dude, you should get out of your bubble..
They fucked up. That's it.

stuminus3

Johann said:
I've got to wonder what would have happened to Factor 5 (or Silicon Knights) if they had stuck with Nintendo with the Wii or or if all of this was inevitable.
Exactly the same thing, except they would have taken Nintendo with them. Which of course Nintendo were never going to allow. So it's kind of a paradox.

You know how Nintendo parted ways with Rare, Silicon Knights, etc, and their reasons for doing so made us all burn with rage? It all makes perfect sense now. Sadly.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Bizzyb said:

Sorry but comparing FactorFail5 to Rare is just dumb, regardless of whether you care for their games or not they've sold millions on 360 and most have been very profitable(eventually) for Microshaft.

Johann

Sony and Microsoft may have seen something more beneficial from getting support from Rare/Silicon Knights/Factor 5 than simply gaining a studio or a new game.

Rare's departure deprived Nintendo of a studio when they needed a steady stream of exclusives. Having a franchise like Perfect Dark or even just a competent FPS developer would have been a huge help during the FPS boom. Then again, Nintendo got over $300 million and bought Retro Studios (who went to make the best selling Metroid Prime games) for just a million dollars.

There was also the political aspect of the Silicon Knights/Factor 5 departure. Two of Nintendo's most technically skilled and best selling developers (well, just Factor 5) joining the competition since Nintendo was apparently dilly-dallying with their next console and they didn't know what developers wanted.

Top Bottom