• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 now completely dead

Shiggy

So, finally we get an official confirmation of some cancelled projects:

July 2007 – December 2008 (1 year 6 months) San Rafael, CA
Headed the development of Turrican, an unshipped 3D action game.

Project Lead for team creating a photorealistic realtime version of Jim Carrey's Scrooge character from "A Christmas Carol" ( for Image Movers Digital).

January 2009 – July 2009 (7 months) Novato, CA

Member of a team working on a Wii version of Rogue Squadron: level design/scripting, environment modeling, high-resolution terrains, HDR/atmospheric settings.

Content supervisor for the Wii conversion of Brütal Legend. Created the visual prototype and supervised a dozen artists across two continents on the asset conversion.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/worch

(Thanks to MetalLord2)

Zornica

Banned
I wonder if there already were prototypes of those canceled games. I hope someday we get some alpha screenshots.

Rest in peace Factor5, I will miss you

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I liked Lair.

Lair was alright, but it wasn't worth being made for the mess it made.

I shall be forever angry that we got Lair and not a Rogue Squadron like game for PS3, Battle of Endor in HD, god damn that would have looked fine.

catmario

RIP Factor 5...

I miss Rogue Squadron...

Anyway some of ex-factor 5 member founded "TouchFactor" few years ago, but no news from them yet. :(

I was browsing Rogue Squadron 2 video's on Youtube last night.
And this all started with the "gameplay" footage of the Order 1886, which reminded me of old FMV games (especially because of the werewolf not showing ANY feedback when being shot). It also reminded me of a Star Wars game for the PC; Rebel Assault 2, which had some levels which were basically shooting galleries with CG movie being played (though graphically very impressive at the time). Which reminded me of the Rogue Squadron games, which felt like an evolution of the Rebel Assault 2. Both games have an Endor speeder-bike sequence, which instantly made the connection.

holy necrobump :D

who owns the Turrican license? can we get a Vanquish style shooter plz?! :D

According to its entry on ipo.gov.uk, the trademark belongs to Factor 5 Germany, and is valid until 2022. No idea what happens in the instance that a company no longer exists; I would assume it goes to some credit company who handle the bankruptcy and the assets. There must be instances of trademarks dissipating because the owner went out of business though.

LiamR

I found out what was up with that Animal Wars game.

http://www.unseen64.net/2011/11/10/animal-wars-ps3-cancelled/

Sam-The-Soldier-Dog-Concept-Art-Animal-Wars-PS3--692x1024.jpg

About time really. After the GCN Star Wars games their output took a huge dip in quality, and after Lair they either cancelled, or never completed any of the upcoming projects they had announced.

Sucks for the staff that lost their jobs, but I can't say I'll miss a company that's been pretty much non-existant for the last 8 years though.

Sounds like a euphemism.

Be the pioneer of a never explored area known for its naturally reactive environment. Dry when bored or unused, moist when palpably excited and oddly accepting of probing into its deepest unseen treasures. Play as Richard Headly the pioneer of the adventure you've been waiting for. Now integrated with Project Morpheus for the Playstation 4 Computer Entertainment Console from Sony Computer Entertainment and Oculus Rift for Personal Computer devices.

Come explore Beaverton.

LiamR

That sounds like an amazing game. I wish kick starter had existed then.

I thought the same. It looks neat. Strikes me as just the kind of passion project you'd see someone try to get funded on there. Sadly, the former F5 management is still super protective of all their assets (even unreleased stuff), so it could never happen.

I thought the same. It looks neat. Strikes me as just the kind of passion project you'd see someone try to get funded on there. Sadly, the former F5 management is still super protective of all their assets (even unreleased stuff), so it could never happen.

That is really sad. You'd think that Sony or MS would snatch it up as it is an interesting new IP that seems like it could be brought to market without spending Order 1886 kinds of money.

Hasney

That is really sad. You'd think that Sony or MS would snatch it up as it is an interesting new IP that seems like it could be brought to market without spending Order 1886 kinds of money.

According to that article, that was the plan. However, once F5 had to delay Lair, Sony moved all funding from other F5 projects into getting Lair done.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

It looks like something I would buy a console for if done justice, but honestly I'm not sure Factor 5 as a company could have achieved this.

According to that article, that was the plan. However, once F5 had to delay Lair, Sony moved all funding from other F5 projects into getting Lair done.

You have to remember this was at a time the PS3 was seriously floundering so I'm not sure if one can blame Sony for wanting as many exclusives out the door as soon as possible.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This saddens me gravely, I am a huge fan of the rouge squadron games and was hoping a wii one would blow anytuing out the water, and dont even get me started on if there were ever a Wii U one.

Eusis

If the Rogue Squadron trilogy was done I have no idea why it was never released. It's Star Wars for fuck's sake. Even if it didn't set the charts on fire surely it would have pulled in enough dosh to warrant development.
LucasArts seemed to go senile to a profound degree later on. Maybe if it were EA at that time they'd at worst shift it to PS3/360 and leave Wii cold.

CamHostage

I found out what was up with that Animal Wars game.

http://www.unseen64.net/2011/11/10/animal-wars-ps3-cancelled/

Sam-The-Soldier-Dog-Concept-Art-Animal-Wars-PS3--692x1024.jpg

Wow, that is above-and-beyond work even for Unseen64, very nice work with the article and video.

I can kind of see how Sony lost love with Factor 5 when it had to move money for a multi-title deal to just one project, but it's really sad that the whole thing fell apart with nothing else produced, especially with this second team doing the kind of indie-like small crew work that Sony was investing in at the time. This all didn't need to go down like it did.

Top Bottom