• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 01

Sometimes the ship maneuvering looked a little wonky, and the old pilot hijacking routine grated in what had been a relatively serious show, although at least it was gratifying to see Kodai pay the price for taking off without doing the proper checks.

Everything else was really good, bleak as it is.

Crocodile

HALP GAF! One of my best friends for over 20 years has started watching Sword Art Online and he appears to be........liking it! What do I do? :(

Articalys

HALP GAF! One of my best friends for over 20 years has started watching Sword Art Online and he appears to be........liking it! What do I do? :(
You can accept the fact that one can enjoy the show and still be a decent person, but I think that kind of logic is frowned upon around here.
Or just do what Narag said.

>.>

I like Sword Art Online quite a bit actually. That doesn't make its problems go away; doesn't make it perfect. I don't think it makes me an alien from the andromeda sector who does not understand earthen tastes. Part of the reason I avoided it for so long was because it seemed like everybody and their dog thought it was crap. So I sat through it one day and there wasn't a moment where I disliked it. It could have been written much better and done without the unnecessary fanservice/tropes, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Some people just like things, whether they're fully aware of the problems or not, or just simply do not let it bother them. If you're worried he might consider it "the best show out there", then show him some of the more widely praised ones afterwards.

Watch Accel World after.

You'd have to mute it everytime Haru was on screen. His VA has a streak of annoying roles and that's one of the worst.

Crocodile

You can accept the fact that one can enjoy the show and still be a decent person, but I think that kind of logic is frowned upon around here.
Or just do what Narag said.

>.>

I like Sword Art Online quite a bit actually. That doesn't make its problems go away; doesn't make it perfect. I don't think it makes me an alien from the andromeda sector who does not understand earthen tastes.

Some people just like things, whether they're fully aware of the problems or not or simply do not let it bother them.

NO.
I mean you guys are obviously right. I wasn't being entirely serious. I just can't remember the last time I saw something so bad that was actively trying to be good.......and I haven't even seen the infamous second half O_O

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
iw7Ag2p5KYXll.jpg

Areweback.jpg?

Sword Art Online was my true gateway anime (after Angel Beats)

He'll be fine.

By gateway you mean the show that got you to watch other shows?

Angel Beats kinda did that for me too. I was stuck in a rewatch loop of FMP, FMA, and Shakugan no Shana before I picked up Angel Beats late January. It's been new show after new show since.

ABXY is one of my favorite posters here.
tumblr_ma0bq2N0Bz1qhfqwv.gif

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy 10

EAST COAST VS THE WEST COAST! JUST LIKE IN MY VIDEO GAME INDUSTRIES!

Almost feels like a reminder of history actually.

I laughed pretty hard when Misa just went "If Sasami is here, I'm bound to show up soon!" UNIVERSAL RULEBOOK YO! And then proceeds to screw the rules on Quick Draw.

Pixy Misa <3

CorvoSol

He plays the voice of Prosecutor Godot. He is forgiven of this sin.

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross 1

The man's name is Focker, and the very first thing we hear about him doing is staying out all night with Uhura-chan. The mecha seem okay, although the character designs, specifically the female ones, seem a bit unique. Interested in seeing where this show goes, since it's like, just one step below the Holy Trinity of Mecha and all.

There were so many missiles in this episode.

By gateway you mean the show that got you to watch other shows?

Angel Beats kinda did that for me too. I was stuck in a rewatch loop of FMP, FMA, and Shakugan no Shana before I picked up Angel Beats late January. It's been new show after new show since.

tumblr_ma0bq2N0Bz1qhfqwv.gif

You even picked my favorite show. Now you're purposefully trying to get on my good side.

Well, the first proper anime I ever watched was Angel Beats with some friends from college.. on the bus ride from school to home on Christmas I casually mentioned to a girl I liked anime now and she said she started watching a certain
magical
Sword Art Online and I eventually stumbled upon it again browsing Hulu Plus and watched the whole thing. Then, I watched a bunch of other animes on Hulu, like Ah My Goddess and Clannad and it all spiraled from there.

Now it is ending ;_;

Jintor

>.>

I like Sword Art Online quite a bit actually. That doesn't make its problems go away; doesn't make it perfect. I don't think it makes me an alien from the andromeda sector who does not understand earthen tastes. Part of the reason I avoided it for so long was because it seemed like everybody and their dog thought it was crap. So I sat through it one day and there wasn't a moment where I disliked it. It could have been written much better and done without the unnecessary fanservice/tropes, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Some people just like things, whether they're fully aware of the problems or not, or just simply do not let it bother them. If you're worried he might consider it "the best show out there", then show him some of the more widely praised ones afterwards.

you're a monster! burn the witch!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
>.>

Yes, all dogs hate Sword Art Online. We took a vote.

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 5

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember this. They're definitely treating this arc nicely. Hopefully we get to Zakuro and Lila in the next few episodes, though.

Syrinx

Ouran HIgh School Host Club 11

I don't think his little sister is scared of the dude for his attire so much as the fact that he acts like a shady fuck when wearing that getup. Maybe you can dress in black and still be pleasant? Try that and see how it works. Well, it looks like you won't have to. But you should have tried it earlier.

Renge is the best.

You even picked my favorite show. Now you're purposefully trying to get on my good side.

Well, the first proper anime I ever watched was Angel Beats with some friends from college.. on the bus ride from school to home on Christmas I casually mentioned to a girl I liked anime now and she said she started watching a certain
magical
Sword Art Online and I eventually stumbled upon it again browsing Hulu Plus and watched the whole thing. Then, I watched a bunch of other animes on Hulu, like Ah My Goddess and Clannad and it all spiraled from there.

Now it is ending ;_;

Nooooo why is it ending?

CorvoSol

He does!?

In the Japanese version, I believe so. His AA wiki entry suggests so, anyway.

Mobile Suit Gundam 1

As I'm watching Mazinger, Macross, and Getter, I'll take a dose of the good Gundam series as well. I think the most notable aspect of this first episode compared to the others, is that Amuro's relationship with his scientist father SUCKS. Like, Kouji, Ryouma's girlfriend whose name I forget, and main pilot Hikaru all seem to have great love and respect for their dads, but Amuro is pretty damn frosty toward the guy. The death of Frau Bow's mother is also played for much more drama than the death of Ryouma's girlfriend's brother.

Of the premiering rival/villain dudes, Char really cannot be topped, although Baron Asura seems like next most fun. Gundam also seems to be honestly better animated in its first episode than Getter and Macross were.

Also that amazing hype feeling of seeing Amuro Ray step into the Gundam for the first time.

No more Peaceiscloser is gonna make me sad. At least we had those ice creams that one day, though. Fight the good fight, bro.

AND FINISH EVA AND GEASS AFORE YOU GO.

Jex

Yamato 2199 01

Sometimes the ship maneuvering looked a little wonky, and the old pilot hijacking routine grated in what had been a relatively serious show, although at least it was gratifying to see Kodai pay the price for taking off without doing the proper checks.

Everything else was really good, bleak as it is.
The CG animation is a bit too 'floaty' in the earliest episodes but they make it more weighty later on.

Leaving on a mission for two years in less than 2 weeks, no GAF or anime for me :p

Ah I thought you were in trouble for watching too much or something.

It isn't over though! In 2 years there will be a ton of new
crappy harem
shows for you to watch! Think of it like a video taking 2 years to load.

Unless you aren't coming back. >.>

yami4ct

Coppelion 3-4

Alright, finally starting to catch up on this season's shows. I really loved these two episodes. This show is pretty easily my favorite new show of the season. There's just so many cool aspects going on here. Seeing something that appears to be inspired by the
Fukushima Nuclear Disaster
in and of itself makes this show a pretty fascinating watch. I'm really interested to see where those aspects go. I just hope they don't get too heavy handed with it. These two episodes got pretty close at times, but managed it. I could easily see them going way too far with those ideas and having it just become too boring and preachy.

One of the things that really stunned me here is how darn good this show can look when it wants to. The B-2 Bomber that played a role here looked pretty fantastic, despite being CG (to be fair, the fact that the B2 is my second favorite plane after the SR-71 could be skewing my judgement here). It also has some great little moments of animation like Ibara's crazy reloading of her pistol bit at the end of episode 4. I'm getting used to the yellow filter over time, but man is it sad that they're really screwing over the quality the have there. They're capable of some really amazing bits, they just need to utilize that more.

Story wise, still loving the world and characters. Even as someone who doesn't typically like shows that rely on a group of teenage girls as their main heroes, the girls here are pretty great characters. They definitely adhere to some typical anime tropes, but I definitely feel like there's more there than that. Ibara in particular is really interesting. I love the way they're portraying her as a leader. The ways she struggles with her responsibility to the group and to those she's rescuing provides some really good pathos to the character. I also like that they're continuing to tell smaller, more personal stories about the post-appocalyptic world and not relying on the overarching narrative so far. I really hope that continues. I could easily see this show getting bogged down by its own mythology and losing a lot of the heart that I'm enjoying from it now.

So, yeah, overall I really kind of adore this show. Cannot wait to see where it goes. Right now, if both shows maintain their quality levels, it'll be a hard choice between this and Valvrave as my AotY.

fertygo

In the Japanese version, I believe so. His AA wiki entry suggests so, anyway.

Mobile Suit Gundam 1

As I'm watching Mazinger, Macross, and Getter, I'll take a dose of the good Gundam series as well. I think the most notable aspect of this first episode compared to the others, is that Amuro's relationship with his scientist father SUCKS. Like, Kouji, Ryouma's girlfriend whose name I forget, and main pilot Hikaru all seem to have great love and respect for their dads, but Amuro is pretty damn frosty toward the guy. The death of Frau Bow's mother is also played for much more drama than the death of Ryouma's girlfriend's brother.

Of the premiering rival/villain dudes, Char really cannot be topped, although Baron Asura seems like next most fun. Gundam also seems to be honestly better animated in its first episode than Getter and Macross were.

Also that amazing hype feeling of seeing Amuro Ray step into the Gundam for the first time.

No more Peaceiscloser is gonna make me sad. At least we had those ice creams that one day, though. Fight the good fight, bro.

AND FINISH EVA AND GEASS AFORE YOU GO.
No way MSG 01 have better animation than SDF 01, you must be drunk or something

Hunter x Hunter 24 - 38
I'm still not caring for Hunter x Hunter much. I realized I've laughed more times than I've been amped for a good fight. The characters are good and interesting and there are plenty of damn funny moments. But I just now hit the setup for the show. I know Gon has mentioned it a few times, but it was finally laid out in full
when Gon and Killua listen to the tape of Gon's father. However, I hate hate hated Gon stopping the tape before his father spoke about his mother. It's annoying because you KNOW that shit is going to become important later.
The bad thing is I'm not interested in Gon finding him. Why? Because Gon is so damn nonchalant about it. Even his dad is.

Hunter x Hunter hasn't hit me with a good moment of heart yet. At minimum though, I'd hope for a good fight to keep me going. But not in Hunter x Hunter. There are waaay too many fights with poor fight animation, where a character moves quickly and we get the "woosh" lines in the background. At least the
Hisoka vs. Gon fight in the arena
was good. Great animation. Great choreography. It's the only reason I've continued with the show and not dropped it. It gave me a glimpse that the action in the show can be good. As long as the good keeps coming, it'll distract me from the minor gripes. Such as the fact that since Nen was introduced, it has been mentioned by every single person in every damn episode. It's become the key word of the show. I'm not saying it isn't an interesting concept for the world, but we don't need it mentioned every damn second.

Rambling over. We're about to hit Yorknew. At this point I'm so far in that unless something god awful happens, I'm just going to keep going.

Gazoinks

Revolutionary Girl Utena 25
screenshot142hsuik.png

The cars are here!

Woah woah new stock footage and a new ED, cuh-razy.

The manservice in this episode was hilarious. I'm not sure whether they expect me to take it seriously when everyone's giving exposition lounging around in bed or sitting on the front of a car with their shirts open.

Anyway, new arc means new confusions.
Soooo is End of The World a place or a person? Seems both, and Akio's the person. Also this episode seemed to imply Akio might've been Utena's prince? Of course then who knows what's up with the other prince... Maybe everyone's the prince! It's interesting seeing Anthy kind of getting a mind of her own, even flinching at Akio's calls to incest.

...there's a lot of incest in this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom