• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

So I remember being pretty hyped for Samurai Flamenco when I thought it was a stylish bro-buddy romp with a superhero (though it was unclear how super he was) and a cop based on the pre-release art and synopsis. Something like a new Tiger & Bunny which I enjoyed very much. Then the visual art for the anime came out and it looked generic as fuck. Then the idol group was introduced and I knew the "bro" aspect would be reduced. Then I watched the first episode and I basically got what I felt was a shittier version of Kickass. I think my expectations were betrayed one too many times so I put it on hold.

Seeing a lot of praise here, I decide to watch the episodes that have come out since then........

wBPfyLt.gif

Like not terrible but overall I'm not blown away. First off, the show looks drab to straight up bad. Like I understand budgets but it feels like they didn't even try more often than not. I remember mangalobe broke onto the anime scene with Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo. Those shows looked (and still do) GREAT! Obviously they had bigger budgets but did everybody talented from mangalobe's "glory" days leave the company? I wonder if live action would have been a better format for this show?

Hazama means well and seems to growing into his own a bit becoming more of a real person but I swear sometimes the stuff that comes out of his mouth makes it sound like he has brain damage. Chasing a train (which is impossible) to retrieve an umbrella is a BIT much. Also his grandpa wanted him to grow up to be a vigilante? Ok.........

Goto doesn't do much besides be bored and be the straight man. The straight-man was of course going to be his role from day one but it doesn't feel like the show has given much to do.

This show's "Hit Girl" doesn't really compare to the "real" Hit Girl but that's asking a bit much I suppose. I guess she has the psyhco part down at least and some weird fetishes. Though holy shit is her bring her friends into the mix just plain stupid. I don't know how one of them (or at least some character in this show) doesn't end of in a ditch in a pool of their own blood if the show tries to tackle its themes with any seriousness. The whole idol group is just super bubbly and generic in general.

I dunno, I feel like I didn't get the show I initially expected, sidelined it, then came back with adjusted expectations and kind of didn't really get that either :/ Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well but I don't think it reflects well when even just having finished catching up I'm having a hard time remembering stand out moments from the show.

I see this posted in response to funky characters and numbers but I don't know what any of them mean........

Theonik

Regarding your end "spoiler"...
which person are you referring to?
Her.

I'd definitely fit Tenkuu Danzato Skelter Heaven next to Mars of Destruction somewhere as not only is it by the masterminds at IDEA FUCK, it also shares the same impeccable sound engineering and is basically an incromphehensibly amazing mishmash of some truly awful looking game cutscenes.
Gotta see it now.

It's like you guys have never seen anime before.

We even have a BONES anime coming up where the sister is yandere for the brother.
That just has written 'must watch' all over by that description. I have no idea what you are on about.

"Slut" - Ponpo

The amount of upset people over Kyoani's demise only makes me feel like not watching Hyouka.
It also makes you a terrible person deserving of Magical Girl hell.

LordCanti

Samumenco is a race to the bottom. They need to course correct now while there's still time and do something incredibly idiotic like have him fall in a vat of chemicals and gain actual super powers. Or, alternatively, the cop guy could be revealed to actually be a super hero with real powers. Or...I don't know...the Yakuza could put a bullet in Flamenco Girl or something and suddenly it's up to Samumenco to avenge her.

Nothing I wrote there is nearly as ridiculous as the "reveal" in episode 05.

Thoraxes

That's right, break her in. Give it to her gooooooood.
Mmmm, yeah guurrrrlll. I like the way she swivels.
unf unf unf
unf unf unf
She's a whore. A dirty, dirty whore. If you push her little button just right and turn her on, she'll show you 1080p's all. Night. Long.
I'm searching for the best wallpapers now.
Btw how do you feel about the OST so far?
It's kinda lacking, imo. It's not terrible, but the fit doesn't feel right so far. It's definitely been getting better though, for sure. There have also been a couple high moments where it all meshed too.

Mostly afflicted I think are the "badass" moments, when I feel like the music falls short of capturing the grandiose of the scenes.And I hate using the word, but, it just doesn't feel epic enough when it should be.

I think the more incidental usage and scenes are much more well done.

Also because I hate that I keep thinking this, but I really wish there was an Iwasaki OST. He's got that spunk that would just mesh so well.

fertygo

Hyouka - 03 (rewatch)

Yeah this is definitely better on rewatch, this way you can regard the mundane mystery as banter device, that not even mean I underselling the writing.. its quite the opposite.

Btw for all the praise that this show got for its cinematography and such.

Wtf happened with this shot.

LordCanti

Kyousougiga 05

Loved it. We got a nice look into the past of
Myoue, who happens to be a kid that might have burned his house down and killed his parents. That's...not something I saw coming.

They keep delivering, although next weeks uhh....whatever you'd call it. Non-Episode, special, delay, etc, looks like it might be weird.

cajunator

Banned
Non Non Biyori ep.3

Boring.

Non Non Biyori ep.4

Great.

Non Non Biyori ep.5

Boring, with a few amusing parts.

Thing's I've learned:
- Renge is best.
- Natsumi is a terrible person.
- Hotaru might act like she's 10 but she sure as hell doesn't look like it.
- I didn't know it was possible to run the "Komari is short" joke into the ground so quickly.
- Suguru is somehow fabulous despite never doing anything.

In other words, not bothering with this again until there's another episode on par with ep.4.

Hitsugi no Chaika.

Oh yes thanks. Looking forward to it!

That feel when watching the new KLK on my new 55" TV.

I know exactly that feel!

Valvrave 17
I feel I'm starting to like this show a bit. It doesn't have quote the generic for feel the first season hard for me

sonicmj1

Kill la Kill 6

Great episode. But man, I don't get these subs sometimes.

第一体育館 (dai ichi taiikukan) translated as "Kendo club dojo", even though (while Uzu uses kendo techniques) kendo is never mentioned by name in this entire episode.

Literally five seconds later, 第一体育館 is translated as "Sports Gym #1", which is a little literal, but accurate.

How does this even happen?

Kazzy

What the hell!? I was talking to one of my high school students and she started talking about anime, asked what she was currently watching (and recommended), and she mentioned Index (at least from what I remember).As far as I'n aware, that doesn't ring any bells to what is currently airing, or am I missing something?

Either way, it left me a little bemused.

fertygo

Samumenco is a race to the bottom. They need to course correct now while there's still time and do something incredibly idiotic like have him fall in a vat of chemicals and gain actual super powers. Or, alternatively, the cop guy could be revealed to actually be a super hero with real powers. Or...I don't know...the Yakuza could put a bullet in Flamenco Girl or something and suddenly it's up to Samumenco to avenge her.

Nothing I wrote there is nearly as ridiculous as the "reveal" in episode 05.

People that liking Samurai Flamenco not attracted with how silly the show is, in fact its the otherwise.. the low-key atmosphere of it that became the charm, for example despite the insane post credit scene are, the highlight in this episode is how bummed ]
Masayoshi finding his favored work not turned as fun as he imagine, knowing people that making Power Ranger show is not have passion like 9 year old kids but that just how business work.
That's low-key commentary that can easily related to many people, same thing with episode umbrella. That's not stupid or silly.

wonzo

Banned
What the hell!? I was talking to one of my high school students and she started talking about anime, asked what she was currently watching (and recommended), and she mentioned Index (at least from what I remember).As far as I'n aware, that doesn't ring any bells to what is currently airing, or am I missing something?

She probably meant Railgun. o wait that finished airing. nvm

Can't remember, new Majocco trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNuGHvuZ7UE

Nobunagun character designs and cast (the main VA is a new rookie)

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/103071
http://www.vap.co.jp/nobunagun/

From the key visual it doesn't look like it really captured Masato Hisa's unique visual style, but that's probably for the best so that the viewers can tell what in the world is going on. The designs look good; the characters have rather lively expressions. This is the greatest number of design documents I've seen posted on an official site, which is cool. I particularly like the weapon/monster designs:

Theonik

Oh I also wanted to mention something else I forgot to with regards to Hyouka 08.
Which is illustrated in this shot.
It speaks volumes to the amount of detail put into the visual design of a show when they include characters using chat software making realistic looking typos.

Defuser

Well you asked what she is currently watching but it doesn't mean she is watching the current shows.

Or

She is watched Railgun which ended like weeks ago or Strike the Blood which is in comparison to Index.

Let me explain KnK 6 to those who don't get it yet. It is a desperate cry for help from KyoAni:

- Kuriyama represents KyoAni as a studio. Right now she is able to get by from day to day, but she's often hungry and wants more money.

- She is poor because she spends all her money on her bonsai plants, aka Hyouka, which no one appreciates.

- Her friends in the same industry advised her about a youmu target, aka otaku fanboys, worth a lot of money in an easy to reach location, aka light novel trash adaptations.

- While going after the target, she realizes that it's not as easy as it looks, because trying to succeed in this challenge can destroy your dignity, willpower, and social standing.

- In the end she fails because the lesson is that even if you are willing to degrade yourself to go after what looks like an easy target, if you don't really understand what you're doing and if you're poorly prepared and not passionate about your role, you'll just end up being a poor worthless smelly shit which no one wants to go near or talk to anymore.

RIP.
It all make sense !!!!

Good cosplay ? good cosplay

BLOOD C 11

WHAT IN THE ROYAL NAME OF HOLY FUCK, EMPEROR OF WHAT, DID I JUST WATCH.

Well played, CLAMP. Well played. It's almost like you guys even planned this one.

They planned that one .. i mean you've seen ep 12 , how can you say this wasn't on purpose ?

Theonik

Kill La Kill 06
That was just aaaaaaaaaaaa
so awesome.
I can't.
My brain
IMAISHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
WHY ISN'T IT THURSDAY ALREADY

tumblr_mvxbu2BZVF1r2dfydo10_400.gif

AOTY decided.

If only they started with this at episode one, instead of making us endure four really boring episodes back to back. Perhaps they are finally committed to making an actually good anime now that they have a clear set goal in mind and are executing it properly. Cant wait to watch this in context.

What if I mentioned that it's only until Sunday at the earliest due to circumstances?

Why Sunday? Is there a Magical Girl church where you confess your Magical Girl sins?

Kill La Kill 06

That was just aaaaaaaaaaaa
so awesome.
I can't.
My brain
IMAISHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
WHY ISN'T IT THURSDAY ALREADY

Hahahaha, I didn't notice that shot. Probably going to rewatch this sometime today
plus go on a long overdue pixiv spree

Theonik

DTL post.

Hahahaha, I didn't notice that shot. Probably going to rewatch this sometime today
plus go on a long overdue pixiv spree
And that was not all!
Also, if you hung around IRC you'd get my daily/bu-daily dump of pretty much every single worthwhile KLK picture uploaded on Pixiv in the interim!
And Mofumofu

Why Sunday? Is there a Magical Girl church where you confess your Magical Girl sins?
Forgive me Madoka for I have sinned.

fertygo

God, that Emma Stone.gif annoy the fuck of me because its always there when opening this page or use home button.

=====

Hyouka 4-5 (rewatch)
This set of eps are always been my personal fave of mine from this show, and also made me convinced of the show quality back then. Its have everything that I wanted from the show. Aside visual quality that's given, I like how the whole main cast investigate the case, trading small joke.. more characterization to Oreki too that starting have change for his view to his high-school

and then proceed to the case that pretty fascinating this time.. Man, that scene that explain what Hyouka means is really heavy.. what a great job to portraying such a atmosphere. Never forget, icecream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom