• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

The Idolm@ster Movie

jGHxrJ4Eu1aG2.jpg

This felt like a nice little extra for fans and I certainly liked it. It takes place after the anime series and you get little glimpses of where everyone is now and what their plans for the future are. Unfortunately a kind of inherent problem with something like this, where you have a bunch of characters and not that much time, is that the show tends to focus on a few and the others are more support. This might bother some fans of certain girls. There's also about six girls from Million Live in the movie but it focuses more on one or two of them.

The movie actually opens up with a nice movie within a movie called Nemurihime. I certainly wouldn't mind if that became its own thing. Really fun and cool looking. The movie had the odd part where the drawings didn't seem up to the usual great art but for the most part it did have the really great high production art and animation that the series is known for. There's one part where Haruka first starts talking to Kana and Kana drops the cream puffs out of her bag when startled. The animation there looked really distinct to me. It was kind of off not in that it was bad but for how it seemed different from how the characters usually move. Unfortunately I'm not up on my animators and don't know who did that particular scene.

There's some drama that comes into the movie around the middle part that might turn off some though. I personally still really liked the movie regardless but even I thought that the drama part maybe went on a bit longer than it could have. I still liked all the girls, the songs and their outfits looked nice and there is other bits of fanservice like some cameos in the ending of the movie. All the bouncing that goes on during the dancing like the girls hair moving this way and that I've always really liked.

I might have some fan bias but I really liked the movie that I want to watch it again and there's a good chance it could be in my AOTY list.

Amagi Brilliant Park 3:
Stupid characters doing stupid things. Having a character comment on deja vu doesn't give you free reign to keep doing the same things over and over again. Fire and Earth are the only characters who aren't being completely stupid at this point. There's still an interesting story setup here, but it's been completely drowned out by idiotic antics. At least it's not a harem (yet, anyway).

Tune in next week for three more minutes of Kanie and Moffle fighting only for Isuzu to shoot them both. Because that's always hilarious, right guys?

Syrinx

Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun 11-12

Definitely one of my favorite anime comedies. The dynamics between all the characters were stellar, and it never let Chiyo's crush on Nozaki get in the way of the show.

S2 immediately pls.

Yeah. SO WORTH IT.
ALso can somebody PLEASE WEBM that part halfway through where chaika is commenting on the grapes and calls them exquisite? Its the cutest thing since Inaba's squeeing in Kokoro connect.

Here you go!

made .gif is far easier for me tbh, I'm still yet to figure out a way to made .webm without troublesome codec tinkering or uploading giant file with my crappy internet.

Actually the filesize is way smaller with Webm, compared to the same length of a gif.
Get WebmConverter. It's really easy to use. Fire up a PM if you'd like any assistance.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park - 3

So what's this guy's ingenious plan for bringing in guests to the park? That mostly consists of families with young children?

Why, filming all the female staff members in swimsuits while they're cheerleading of course! And if that's not enough, he also uploaded a video of one of the mascots punching the living daylights out of one of the customers!

Clearly we're looking at Disney World levels of popularity here with this kind of advertising!

He's going for shock value and impact. Normally a person would go about steadily increasing the quality of the park and that in turn would lead to more customers. He flat out doesn't have enough time. Two months isn't near enough time to increase consumer confidence to the point of getting people streaming in the doors. So how do you get people in the doors then? Gimmicks.

Yes you would be targeting what is not the demographics of the park but there's two things. First being that the number of families coming to the park are relatively minuscule anyway. The 2nd beig that the park is right on top of a love hotel so if visitors are that concerned about family values, chances are that they're not going to bring their kids to the park in the first place.

fertygo

Actually the filesize is way smaller with Webm, compared to the same length of a gif.
Get WebmConverter. It's really easy to use. Fire up a PM if you'd like any assistance.

I'm talking about site that let you convert automatically your video with uploading your file not the filesize of .webm itself. Its very troublesome for me to use that kind of method.

And yes hook me up please.

Amaburi 3

Bonta kun needs to chill. Getting annoyed at him with the same angry antics over and over again.

Fanservice scene was nice. Sento cheerleading <3

jbug617

Banned
Apparently Crunchyroll has the home video rights to Free S1
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2014-10-17/.79897

I was unaware that this was now public knowledge. Okay then. Yes, Crunchyroll has the home video rights to FREE! Some licensors do not like to break up individual pieces of rights to a show -- if you want to license it, you have to license EVERYTHING. No streaming without home video, and vice versa. It's a way for them to cut down on paperwork -- smaller outfits simply don't have time to deliver masters and negotiate contracts and go over approvals multiple times with different companies for the same territory.

And so, Crunchyroll is now stuck with home video rights to this, and a small handful of other shows. What they'll do with those rights is anyone's guess -- maybe they'll sell them off, maybe they'll try to do a release themselves. But releasing DVDs and Blu-rays are a lot of work, and their previous path to distribution (via Bandai Entertainment) no longer exists, so they'll have to start from scratch. I don't think they'll just sit on the home video rights to this show; they're too valuable. The only thing I don't see happening is them giving the rights to Funimation. Those two will likely not work well together.

We can only wait and see what will happen. I just hope that both seasons get (well) dubbed, and with the same cast.

Baby Steps 16:
Man, this episode really got me hyped up the whole time. It's been a really close match, with both players going back and forth, and that's a lot of fun. I'm interested to see how things wrap up.

But some of those background 'people' were just soulless and horrifying to look at. I'm used to this show being not very nice looking, but that took things to a whole new level.

Apparently Crunchyroll has the home video rights to Free S1
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2014-10-17/.79897

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what else they've wound up with.

Link Man

Banned
So....YuYuYu is another hot blooded magical girl show. Why are these so awesome?
Why is MAhou Shoujo so awesome in general?

Also this show is HEAVILY influenced by Madoka Magica and thats a good thing.

Crap, already watching way too many shows as is, and haven't seen much opportunity to drop.

Pooya

amagi 3

Episode reaffirms fire is the best #burnthiswithfire

I understand why they're making this show, it's a metaphor for kyoani. They even managed to fit sister shit in here. The mascots are very creepy still, I picture 'Seiba' everytime it talks, unfortunate timing >.<

Now it's not all bad, the video uploader bit in the end was fun, MC isn't bad.

Midonin

Is Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai any good?
Of the three non-Fate VNs, it has the most fun atmosphere. Bright color palette, lots of comedy, it's about a school club in the library that helps people out. They're hinting at some kind of overplot, but the original VN did come from the same people who made Brighter Than the Dawning Blue, so that should give you some indication of its general tone.

javac

Okay so back in the day I used to watch Gundam, but it was pretty much what ever aired on Toonami at the time, so most of it comprised of Wing. I really like the series and the designs and the sound effects are ingrained in my memory. But I've never been a Gundam aficionado so to speak and this was years ago in any case.

I want to get back into the series, but not sure how to go about it. I could go and watch them by release date, but I don't think that I want to watch all of them because a lot seems pretty crappy. I don't want to become this Gundam aficionado or anything, I've just seen some things that has caught me eye. The main one I want to watch is War in the Pocket since it seems to be legit good and looks like my cup of tea. I think I'm more interested in the 'politics' and such of the series and care less about the action hence why I'm more interested in the old stuff and don't care about all this Reconquista silliness.

I know there is a million lists and everyone has a different recommendation but any help is appreciated.

I've seen this picture here and it seems that I'd be interested in the Universal Century more? Not sure if I want to watch them all however...:$

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for being vague.

Okay so back in the day I used to watch Gundam, but it was pretty much what ever aired on Toonami at the time, so most of it comprised of Wing. I really like the series and the designs and the sound effects are ingrained in my memory. But I've never been a Gundam aficionado so to speak and this was years ago in any case.

I want to get back into the series, but not sure how to go about it. I could go and watch them by release date, but I don't think that I want to watch all of them because a lot seems pretty crappy. I don't want to become this Gundam aficionado or anything, I've just seen some things that has caught me eye. The main one I want to watch is War in the Pocket since it seems to be legit good and looks like my cup of tea. I think I'm more interested in the 'politics' and such of the series and care less about the action hence why I'm more interested in the old stuff and don't care about all this Reconquista silliness.

I know there is a million lists and everyone has a different recommendation but any help is appreciated.

I've seen this picture here and it seems that I'd be interested in the Universal Century more? Not sure if I want to watch them all however...:$

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for being vague.

My recommendation for UC would be to tackle them in Chronological order, starting with the first series, not Igloo. If your not willing to tackle the UC, Start with Gundam SEED and later G Gundam. Shows to avoid include Gundam AGE, Gundam 00 and Gundam SEED Destiny.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Legend of Korra Book 4, Episode 3:

Ah yes, so the obvious turn of events transpired exactly as we expected it to, I am surprised that Kurvira has chosen to create an empire as imperial rule isn't that much different from royal rule. Also, seems like we have another OTP shiptease with Wu and Mako, so much of the what is known as the DTL in some circles. Also, Korra continues to be her usual miserable self and Tpoh being awesome calls her out on it, you have been missed Toph.

javac

My recommendation for UC would be to tackle them in Chronological order, starting with the first series, not Igloo. If your not willing to tackle the UC, Start with Gundam SEED and later G Gundam. Shows to avoid include Gundam AGE, Gundam 00 and Gundam SEED Destiny.

Thanks, I really want to stick with UC overall since it seems to contain the few Gundam series/movies that I really want to watch, War in the Pocket being the main one. I know Victory Gundam isn't supposed to be all that good, but I really want to watch that one too.

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 03

Iona's just as broken as everyone else, she just thinks she's hiding behind her shield of detachment. I'm curious exactly what the deal with Mayu is, because it seems like Tama knows her from somewhere. Another girl who somehow became the queen of that world? I'm curious what the aftermath of Chiyori's battle is going to be. She soundly lost the first time, but maybe she's improved? Wixoss is still intriguing to me. While I prefer a lighter tone, the emotions that a darker-toned show can inspire are just as worth thinking about.

Jex

it's possible to make a point without spamming gifs, y'know

would also suggest that linking to actual footage of the fights in question would better serve your argument than a bunch of stamp-sized five second cuts.

But why do we even have gifs if not to spam them?

duckroll

Garo - Episode 3

Another DR Movie episode animated in South Korea! How exciting. The show continues to be extremely by the books, which isn't super interesting, but it's not boring yet at least. The art and animation is about as lackluster as last week's episode, with the direction being a little worse. Some of the action in the second half felt unfinished. The storyboarding is pretty good, but the execution isn't quite there.

Hopefully this show isn't longer than 13 episodes, because I don't think I'll be able to last that long. Lol.

Midonin

GARO -Seal of Flames- 03

There's Hironobu Kageyama as Zaruba, once again. Not really sure if this is an origin story, since there's been Garos before Leon, but it does show his long history. Ema's hovering in that space between ally and enemy, and overall, the show remains pretty fun. I was thinking Alfonso was going to become a Makai Knight, then came that scene at the end. We know who Garo and Zoro are, so who's the purple guy? I like the new intro that comes before the OP, too. It doesn't have the English-y appeal of "Where there is light, etc.", but I can work with it.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park-3
The park really is a shithole. Kanye should take his own advice and just shut the place down. I've never seen a group more apathetic about their own demise. These fuckers don't want to work on Fridays? Really? One of your potential busiest days but you want the day off to lounge about? Also the park closing at 5 is another baffling decision. The previous managers were all idiots. One thing I hope the show goes into more is the financing. It's apparent he park is near broke too and that limits the options Kanye has for stuff like advertising but I would love something like a hard break down. That said, the show seemingly isn't about the nitty gritty of management. In that way it separates itself from something like Shirobako. The anime is definitely more about the comedy and entertainment value. While I would have wanted some hardcore business stuff, I can't blame KyoAni or Gatoh for not doing spreadsheets or Gantt charts. So the show seems to be trying for this surreal feeling in that there are elements of reality but it's also fantastical at the same time. For example the kid bring a little shit falls into this surreal category in that I'm sure that has happened to a mascot but it's also blown up in a way to let the fantasy part come through (such as the mascot one-shotting the gangster or memory erasing bullets). It's that sort of balancing act that reminds me of Full Metal Panic, in that instead of military/school, we have fantasy/theme park. Both sort of contradict each other but they also play really well into each other at the same time.
I think Kanye has done an acceptable job of 'managing' the park so far. The reason I put apostrophes around managing is that his job isn't so much as managing but rather something akin to PR. His singular focus is getting people into the park and for them to keep coming back. He's not so much interested in budgeting or employee satisfaction, both critical aspects of quality management. Due to the situation, he's made the correct call to focus more on shorter gains. That's why I'm fine with stuff like the bikini advertisement in that the deadline calls for something to immediately pull in your customers. Kanye doesn't have the budget or time to launch a revamped PR campaign focusing on the improved quality and state of the park. Instead, doing seemingly stupid shit like "Hey dads/pervs, come to our park to see tits and ass" is a much more effective short term strategy combined with the discount ticket prices. Kanye needs to try every single gimmick he can think of to get those visitor counts up. They're currently at less than 250 people a day when they need an average of 3,125. That's a big ass jump.

The viral video was a pretty clever idea and not one I would have immediately thought of. I remember Gatoh saying that he had conducted interviews with actual park employees and so I imagine some of those Youtube comments would probably mirror what an actual park employee must have wanted to do on a few occasions.

So far, the thing I've really liked are the character interactions. Things like Fumoffu knowing that he's being a douchebag and acting inappropriately but still can't stop himself, feels somewhat human. The characters have a sense of self-awareness that I feel is missing in many LNs and anime. I think my favorite scene in the episode was when Sento was trying to participate in the toasting but the other mascots had already taken their cups back. Small moments like that are really nice for me as it shows not only her more emotional side, as she was embarrassed, but also helps establish the mascot trio as being a core group of friends.

I'm really mixed on the backgrounds. There are a number of shots that are decent, none have been outstanding, and then there are a number that are very substandard for KyoAni. I understand a lot of that is due to the production scheduling but it really stands out in this season where the background art is flat out phenomenal in Your Lie in April or FSN. That said, this episode had a number of really great cuts. The episodes have these 'spurts' of really really high quality animation and then go back to a 'normal' level. It's a bit jarring at times but I think the contrast works for some of the jokes. The actual episode direction was pretty flat as they could have done more with the kid kicking Fumoffu.

As for that cliffhanger, I wonder if they're going to make Latifah blind 'in' the show compared to the LNs and manga where it's background info prior to the start of the series. It might be a way of putting some focus on her as right now Sento is clearly hogging up all the scenes(which I'm more than fine with).

phaze

Garo's OP has really grown on me but the show itself leaves me cold. Don't have it in me to watch 3 ep.

Gundam Wing 26-34

Heero is such a tsundere. Just get it on with hime already.

Things continue to not make a lot of sense. We suddenly switch from Foundation's attack on main base of Treize faction to the
meeting with Treize himself, who apparently was locked up by Foundation 5 km away from that rebel main base ... And with his own super Gundam in the cellar to boot.
And that's only one drop in this sea of stupidity.

Zechs and Heero both getting new Gundams probably means they're on collision course again.

Epyon is a terrible design.

GARO -Seal of Flames- 03

There's Hironobu Kageyama as Zaruba, once again. Not really sure if this is an origin story, since there's been Garos before Leon, but it does show his long history. Ema's hovering in that space between ally and enemy, and overall, the show remains pretty fun. I was thinking Alfonso was going to become a Makai Knight, then came that scene at the end. We know who Garo and Zoro are, so who's the purple guy? I like the new intro that comes before the OP, too. It doesn't have the English-y appeal of "Where there is light, etc.", but I can work with it.
Most likely the guy at the end will be Alfonso's teacher, since I doubt that stuff is easy to figure out alone

Tiger & Bunny 1-5

A fun show to watch so far. The story starts off rather typical, the older, washed up star getting paired up with a newer, younger hero and they start off hating each other. This isn't anything new, but Kotetsu's and Barnaby's interactions with one another as well as how the show handles western superhero conventions (including turning superhero crime fighting into a reality show, sponsors and all) keeps the show interesting and sometimes funny enough that it hasn't felt cliché and overdone.

The show aims to have a western comic book visual style which makes it stand out amongst other anime. The Character's Superhero designs stand out the most. The more western aesthetic is why I'm watching the show dubbed which is pretty good in its own right.

So pretty good show so far.

Jex

Seven Deadly Sexual Predators - Episode 2

The main character should be in jail, not protecting a princess.

--

Amagi Sexual Harassment Park - Episode 3

The main character should be in jail, not managing a theme park.

All I can make from your posts today is that you keep watching anime you know is bad, and yet you won't stop.

Sounds like AnimeGAF disease. It's...quite fatal.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
The Tatami Galaxy

Man, the final scene of the final episode really glues the whole show together.

Also, I find it supremely ironic that, when Himself realises that Ozu's his only real friend, Ozu doesn't even recognise him, because all the hijinks they went through together never happened in that timeline.
Yeah I gotta admit, throughout the whole series I was like "ehhh", but then on the final episode I was like "holy shit this is/was amazing!".

First time I've seen a finale that retroactively makes the series better.

javac

Still haven't seen the Madoka films, kind of lost interest and not too hot on the series in general but I may import the blu-ray and check it out one day.

TUSR

Banned
Still haven't seen the Madoka films, kind of lost interest and not too hot on the series in general but I may import the blu-ray and check it out one day.

You really only need to watch the third one, Rebellion.

The first two are recaps of the show.

javac

You really only need to watch the third one, Rebellion.

The first two are recaps of the show.

Yeah I just like watching everything really and it's been a bit since I had last seen the series so a recap wouldn't hurt in getting me up to scratch and invested in the characters again! :)

Shirobako 2

I really want to see that episode of Jiggly Jiggly Heaven lol.

Watching this show and seeing how difficult it is to make anime, I wonder how do bad shows get made constantly? I guess no one wants to intentionally create awful things but do some directors really feel so passionate about their work they overlook basic things like character development, story, etc.? I guess its also easy to get sucked into a vacuum where you and the production team view things in a much different way than the audience.

Also, what the hell kind of show is Exodus? 29 year old idol magical girls? Who look like theyre 14? Uh?

Show needs more Shizuka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom