• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2-15

joseph%20joestar%20oh%20no%20!_0.PNG

That's my fav Joestar
tocry.png
finally pulled out his trademark line around 13 or whatever. Still loling every time he yells out OHHHH NOOOOOO. Don't like that he's so weak in this but they wouldn't want him to take any of Jotaro's shine I guess....

SC is pretty consistent so far, doesn't have the highs of Battle Tenancy and I like the first arc (though I think I rate this higher than most here) over this as well as of now. As of now BT > PB > SC....

Also Roundabout >>>>> Walk Like an Egyptian. Better song and it worked as a ending theme much better since it starts playing before the episode is over, dat ep 6 ending....

Rhapsody

Banned
Love Live S2

Completed. I liked it. I might've had less legit cliffhangers and less drama until the end, but it was solid.
S1 might've had me hooked, but S2 was a decent followup with what it could've done without being too forced.

Looking forward to that movie next year.

duckroll

Mushishi S2 Pt2 - Episode 1

I was a little apprehensive at first when I realized this was a sort of Ginko origin story, but by the end of the episode, wow, it was perfect. It has all the hallmarks of what I love about Mushishi's storytelling. There's always a danger of over-explaining, over-dramatizing, or simply making a story feel too convenient. This is especially true for Mushishi because it prides itself on generally not doing those things. If Ginko's mistake had an easy solution or a magical fix which also directly resulted in him becoming the great Mushishi he is in the present, that would have been a clean and satisfying sort of story people are used to, but it would betray the tone of the entire series. I'm glad they managed to make it work in a way which is consistent with what the show is, while also shedding light into his past as a child and his long relationship with the stranger aspects of the natural world.

The mushi animation in the opening and closing moments of the episode were extra awesome here too. Made me all warm and fuzzy watching how fluid the movements were.

Pretty Cure Splash Star 01 - 03

They really didn't stray very far from the Futari wa formula with this show, did they?

It feel similar , but around some episode you'll notice that they added new things to the table , by the middle of this show , splash star will become is one thing , to the point that it was the best precure season ( DAT 2nd part ) untill heartcatch came.
I my top 3 of the best seasons of precure , even if i have to admit that the first 10 episodes are kinda low tier.

Jex

4 Cross Ange posts to 1 Mushishi post. RIP anime.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the new Macross is provisionally called "Macross Δ". Take that, ∀ Gundam.

BluWacky

It'll have multiple meanings. The Delta will be for "change" - it's a whole new Macross - and also the inevitable love triangle.

I hope we either get Kanno again on composition or someone of similar class.

Midonin

Cross Ange 03

Everything matches up to the key visual now, at least. I can see this leading up to some sort of revolt against her own people, which wouldn't be too bad at this point. I don't hate the series, it's just different from what I was expecting.

Manga thread ratio is even worse, between the smut, the battle shonen and the hate-reads of trashy drama romance.

Mushishi S2 13 (and to hell people that counts the August episode as OVA)

It's Mushishi!

And somewhat, that explains the lack of posts about it. Everyone (well, everyone who watches it) knows how consistent is Mushishi in quality, in tone, in direction, etc. So lots of times the need of comment on it isn't there. What's to say? The backgrounds are great? Yeah, as always. The pace is slow but in a captivating way thanks to the atmosphere? Yep. The carefully done sound work? Etc, you get the idea.

Though in this case, it's a more special episode, about Ginko's origins.
Really good episode. Redemption, loss, belonging, lots of themes treated.

GfFqc05.png

I got this cap to laugh at the lack of Ginko's manners, but I think I also caught a 3d hand! It only appears 0.5 secs on screen and the rest of the ep is beautiful, that was just bad luck.

This episode had really good magical and creepy moments, like
http://i.imgur.com/N0igciJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/8DDWreJ.png

duckroll

Trying to use consistent episode numbers for Mushishi S2 is doomed to failure. Even the official site lists this episode as "episode 11" rather than 13. It's interesting though, because the entire series really only has 3 two-parters, and judging from the late start in the broadcast schedule, it seems likely that the finale will be delayed to some time next year as a special too, rather than standard episodes. So in the end we'll have 46 normal episodes in total, and 3 double length specials.

26 -> special -> 10 -> special -> 10 -> special.

Log Horizon S2 - Episode 3

This show makes raids seem like loads of fun to play, having squads having specific tasks and staying in formation to reach a common goal.
If only Ace Combat Infinity Co-op was more like this.

The faces in the scene back in Akihabara seemed pretty off to me, it just seemed a bit more noticeable in that scene than any of the others so far.

Jarmel

Banned
It'll have multiple meanings. The Delta will be for "change" - it's a whole new Macross - and also the inevitable love triangle.

I hope we either get Kanno again on composition or someone of similar class.

Kanno is the best thing about Macross. She needs to do more pop songs.

Shows that actually good can be watched anytime in any circumstances.

Shows that are 'bad' are only remotely enjoyable when watched with a community either laughing at it together, or something similar. You watch them alone, and it's no longer entertaining.

Shows that actually good can be watched anytime in any circumstances.

Shows that are 'bad' are only remotely enjoyable when watched with a community either laughing at it together, or something similar. You watch them alone, and it's no longer entertaining.

It's also much easier to make a post mocking a bad show than to write about Mushishi.

Though this reminds me that I really need to catch up on Mushishi.

Log Horizon S2 - Episode 3

This show makes raids seem like loads of fun to play, having squads having specific tasks and staying in formation to reach a common goal.
If only Ace Combat Infinity Co-op was more like this.

The faces in the scene back in Akihabara seemed pretty off to me, it just seemed a bit more noticeable in that scene than any of the others so far.

wait are you suggesting that
Ace combat has raids ? how does that work ?

wait are you suggesting that
Ace combat has raids ? how does that work ?

In Ace Combat Infinity the online mode is similar to raids in that two teams of four attack a huge group of targets across a large map. Sometimes there are missions that can appear called Special Raids where two teams of four attack a superweapon like Aigaion and Stonehenge which is similar to Raid Bosses in that they are far more difficult to defeat than normal although if you know their pattern the mission can be dealt with pretty easily (Aigaion's engines can be destroyed easily with unguided bombs). The problem is that teams are very uncoordinated and most of the time everyone is out for themselves (bit like Demi-demi in Log Horizon really).

Detective Conan 327:
That was kind of a different way than usual to resolve a case, but it worked out pretty well. It was kind of amusing seeing
all of the suspects separately breaking into the house to destroy evidence against them
. There were definitely a few pretty convenient things in how everything turned out for the culprit, but everything else worked out pretty well. The epilogue scene with Heiji and Kazuha was really funny. Yuminga's belief that such a person couldn't ever commit arson was also a good character trait that showed how his convictions helped him, and I loved the little bit with Kogorou saluting him at the end.

Midonin

Celestial Method 03

Noel's design reminded me of Syanon from Okiba ga nai!, and it's not just design, her character type and function are pretty similar, too.
She's the personification of the saucer that everyone summoned when they were kids.
This is going to be conflicting for Yuzuki. She hates the saucer, but she loved Noel and called her cute and wanted to hug her when they met. Shione getting a bit more screentime was also good. This show's flying under the radar in a season that has a lot of other good things going for it, but it's one of my favorite parts of Sunday. Mysterious, lightly dramatic, peaceful. A good show to become invested in.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sora no Method Episode 3:

Okay, this show is now testing my patience and I have little of it after this irritant of an episode. Watching the group here engage in orientation wasn't exactly a thrilling tour de force. What really sunk this episode is I have to watch Homura act like a mega-bitch for the entire episode for reasons that just feel artificial at best and downright petty. Speaking of petty Yuzuki's rationales for hating the saucer have likewise come across as selfish and shallow but that is for another episode. Still, this episode was almost a dealbreaker, I hope the next one does not cause that to be fulfilled.

lonely

Just got my Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition from Anime Limited and oh my it is beautiful. Packaging all feels really nice and sturdy with a nice hard cover art book too. Will be great to finally watch all the OVAs.

SMH all these people watching Cross Ange.

Code Geass 10

Hey this is okay when the highschool hijinx is cut down to a minimal.

Zero obtains an OP mech. Orangey stand there and takes it. For honor.

I actually thought the highschool hijinx were good for the show. It helped balance out all the other dark stuff that went on and gave the show a bit of heart.

Sora no Method 3

Yuzuki is really insufferable. Made the first half of the episode a chore to get through. Kind of stupid how no one really remembered anything until Shione said something. Hell, if her and the guy knew I dont know why they couldnt just say something. It makes no sense.

The moment Noel showed up in the episode, things got better. A
lso didnt think she herself was the saucer. I thought she came to earth on that thing.
Close enough.

Clov

At least it won't tease about a english release like turn A did at least if harmony gold has anything to say about it

Turn A actually is getting an English release next year, thanks to Sunrise's new partnership with RightStuf. Don't think it's being dubbed, though.

Link Man

Banned
Celestial Method 3

Big plot twist that's not really a twist, delivered in a way reminiscent of bad fanfiction. Gah. At least it's still cute, and the art is really nice.

Midonin

Wolf Girl 03

Kyouya's putting up just as much of a front as Erika in all this. I'm sure he has his reasons for being so aloof. The fakeout gag making me think we were getting a beach episode at the start got a small laugh, and Kanae Itou continues to give Erika a sense of life that makes her fun to watch. Now that I think about it, the basic premise of this series is not dissimilar to something like OreShura or Nisekoi, but it has the whole S&M thing going for it.

In Ace Combat Infinity the online mode is similar to raids in that two teams of four attack a huge group of targets across a large map. Sometimes there are missions that can appear called Special Raids where two teams of four attack a superweapon like Aigaion and Stonehenge which is similar to Raid Bosses in that they are far more difficult to defeat than normal although if you know their pattern the mission can be dealt with pretty easily (Aigaion's engines can be destroyed easily with unguided bombs). The problem is that teams are very uncoordinated and most of the time everyone is out for themselves (bit like Demi-demi in Log Horizon really).

YOULEARNSOMETHINGNEWEVERYDAY

Thanks for explaining , that was very informative.

Phatmac

I don't think you guys should be mad at Nonoka if you can't even remember her. If she was such an important friend Yuzuki and the rest should have remembered immediately. At least they didn't act like complete bitches like Homura. Rough episode overall.

BluWacky

Shingeki no Bahamut and Garo 1

Both Western fantasies; one explicitly so (is Garo supposed to take place in faux-Medieval Spain?). Both are refreshing in tone and design; Bahamut takes a pleasantly light-hearted tone throughout to complement the high quality of its animation and art, whereas Garo's pared-back design aesthetic makes the show feel like a storybook (albeit one with demonic prostitutes etc.) and its central characters are a little different from the norm.

I prefer the integration of CG in Bahamut to that in Garo; Bahamut feels a little like a throwback to the 90s Sunrise shows like Escaflowne and Bebop, where the CG feels like a texturing effect. Garo is less successful in that regard, where the besuited warriors look more like something out of Karas, but neither commits the longeurs of lesser shows where the CG elements look completely out of place with everything else.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 2

What a toxic environment to grow up in with that weight of parental expectation upon you. All that and the spinning wheels of romantic drama angst setting into motion.

As already recapped by others, the overly pedestrian animation of much of this episode was offset by the enjoyable "main" performance; as dynamic and exciting as that was both visually and aurally, my favourite parts were actually Kousei and Kaori's conversation straight afterwards and also their meeting outside the school. The first part didn't play out how I expected it to, with Kousei's honesty stemming from how he read the situation, and the second showcased the beautiful background art and aesthetic of the show effectively. Sunsets and sakura petals may be an overused cliche, but they still work surprisingly well on me.

I'm actually enjoying this a little more than I did Nodame Cantabile at present. There's something slightly more believable about Kaori, despite her remaining a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, than there ever was about Nodame's catchphrases, while still capturing that same spirit of the magic of music. It's very early days yet, however.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 2

What a toxic environment to grow up in with that weight of parental expectation upon you. All that and the spinning wheels of romantic drama angst setting into motion.

As already recapped by others, the overly pedestrian animation of much of this episode was offset by the enjoyable "main" performance; as dynamic and exciting as that was both visually and aurally, my favourite parts were actually Kousei and Kaori's conversation straight afterwards and also their meeting outside the school. The first part didn't play out how I expected it to, with Kousei's honesty stemming from how he read the situation, and the second showcased the beautiful background art and aesthetic of the show effectively. Sunsets and sakura petals may be an overused cliche, but they still work surprisingly well on me.

I'm actually enjoying this a little more than I did Nodame Cantabile at present. There's something slightly more believable about Kaori, despite her remaining a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, than there ever was about Nodame's catchphrases, while still capturing that same spirit of the magic of music. It's very early days yet, however.

Yeah, I really liked the way the scene at the end looked. The backgrounds and art style worked really well there, especially with some nice little touches like with the color of the leaves. That was definitely one of the highlights for the episode, along with the really compelling performance and the music which played there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom