• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think I'm the only one who watched it and I don't know anything about Tenchi Muyo lol.
It's only four minutes so you can't waste too much time on it (but I think it'll be fifty episodes), but I didn't really get it. He got bullied by cute girls, and beat up by cute girls. That's pretty much it.

Knee socks are inferior to their older nee-san thigh highs

I've been busy working on the episodes, hardly had the time to talk about them!

As a longtime fan of the series, so far I have to admit that the start isn't very promising. However, I keep in mind that we are 6 minutes in to a 150 minute long story and are still in the introductory stage of things. We're still missing one of the new girls (Beni), and we even got a glimpse at
Washu. We know she's up to something which has put Tenchi in this position, and the new girls are onto him.
There's a few callbacks to the old shows, such as the Pico hammer on Hana's torture tool table and her glove application reminding me a bit of the Night Before the Carnival special.

Other than Tenchi getting a crash-course into the world of facesitting, nothing the show has done so far hasn't already been done by OVA/Universe/Tokyo. I'm willing to give it more time as the main girls have yet to even get more than 2 seconds of footage yet.

Mature

So there is a new trailer for the Ao Haru Ride live action film. I don't know, the anime was pretty bad, but this seems like it might be more tolerable to watch? I think I'm turning into kurita
Oh, this reminds me.

Blue Blazes - 1-11 [End]
If you're into animation or you just want a good time, I definitely recommend this. I don't usually watch foreign live-action stuff (read: never), but I would at least look into it. Though I think /XX/ mentioned something about a better version of it coming out or something?

Steins;Gate - 24 END

Wow. All right, this was a great ending to this show.

It's a great ending in the sense
that it feels really deserved. Like, all the hard work pays off in the end, the whole thing comes full circle, and it ties up all the loose ends, like, there's no reason for a sequel. Though I'll still check out the extra episode OVA.

I think Steins;Gate is a show I can definitely recommend to people in the future. It's a fun, engaging ride that will constantly leave you guessing. I'm glad I got this for the watchbet!

WOOFINGTON!!!

I finally finished Fate/Zero

Wtf happened? I read an explanation but I'm even more confused. Damn.

What are you confused about? If it's about the ending

The show was largely about the battle of ideals. Kiritsugu's ideals in particular are about sacrificing the few to save the many. You see in his flashbacks that he always had a cold disposition and a sort of emotional distance to his actions, with his first snapping point being when he killed his mother figure. This whole war was so he could get the grail and stop all war and fighting. Well the grail chose him as the winner. But the grail isn't this no repercussions wish granting device. Before it granted Kiritsugu his wish it proceeded to destroy his idealism (hence the two boats scene). It then agreed with him, in a twisted way, that his way is the perfect way to stop war. But it will do it exactly as his ideals: kill a portion of the word's population so the remaining stop war/fighting, etc.. and his wish is granted. He realizes that this wish is not worth it. He kills the fake version of his child and daughter to show his resolve of defying the grail. As he denies the grail, it then chooses Kotomine (the priest) as the winner and to grant his wish it causes the massive fire. Kiritsugu, with his heart broken, thinks he once again caused the death of many and didn't want the whole thing to be for nothing. So he searches around for survivors. He wanted to save himself more by saving another. He finds a kid in the rubble. This kid proceeds to become part of his family and he tells the kid years later about how he wanted to be a hero when he was younger. The kid promises he will become a hero for him. This kid grows up to be the protagonist of Fate Stay Night

If it was something else you were confused on, be sure to ask I'm sure many would be glad to help you out if I'm not around.

So there is a new trailer for the Ao Haru Ride live action film. I don't know, the anime was pretty bad, but this seems like it might be more tolerable to watch? I think I'm turning into kurita

Oh yeah? I only got 5 episodes into the show. I haven't really had the push to go back and watch the rest.

But this decision seems...... interesting nonetheless.

TUSR

Banned
Steins;Gate 24

2xhcPM9.png

He did it. He fucking did it.

The show was largely about the battle of ideals. Kiritsugu's ideals in particular are about sacrificing the few to save the many. You see in his flashbacks that he always had a cold disposition and a sort of emotional distance to his actions, with his first snapping point being when he killed his mother figure. This whole war was so he could get the grail and stop all war and fighting. Well the grail chose him as the winner. But the grail isn't this no repercussions wish granting device. Before it granted Kiritsugu his wish it proceeded to destroy his idealism (hence the two boats scene). It then agreed with him, in a twisted way, that his way is the perfect way to stop war. But it will do it exactly as his ideals: kill a portion of the word's population so the remaining stop war/fighting, etc.. and his wish is granted. He realizes that this wish is not worth it. He kills the fake version of his child and daughter to show his resolve of defying the grail. As he denies the grail, it then chooses Kotomine (the priest) as the winner and to grant his wish it causes the massive fire. Kiritsugu, with his heart broken, thinks he once again caused the death of many and didn't want the whole thing to be for nothing. So he searches around for survivors. He wanted to save himself more by saving another. He finds a kid in the rubble. This kid proceeds to become part of his family and he tells the kid years later about how he wanted to be a hero when he was younger. The kid promises he will become a hero for him. This kid grows up to be the protagonist of Fate Stay Night

If it was something else you were confused on, be sure to ask I'm sure many would be glad to help you out if I'm not around.

I see, that was more or less what I gathered.

It just seemed...abrubt. I didn't even realize there was another series.

I see, that was more or less what I gathered.

It just seemed...abrubt. I didn't even realize there was another series.

Yeah it's a set-up to the main series, this was a prequel but it's supposed to stand on its own. Remember the black hair little girl? Rin (daughter of fire mage had her own episode)? She's the female lead of the new series. Series just started, same studio and the opening fight was amazing.

Let us know if you want more anime recommendation and what your mood is, I'm sure people here will pitch in with suggestions.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Forall Gundam 3:
I understand the Turn A was designed by a guy named Syd Mead. I don't know what I find funnier, the English wordplay here that would be, ironically, untranslatable in Japanese. Or the fact that Syd Mead sounds like a Tomino character. Anyway, this scene is extremely Freudian in context. The episode is called "Coming of Age Ceremony", and is about Laura's induction as an adult citizen of Vicinity. This is also where he finds the Turn A, and when... the Turn A's cockpit ball drops. My mind is reeling from all the symbolism.

If anything, you can see how much restraint Tomino has learnt to employ in G-Reco!

Au contraire. I think Tomino has gotten worse with age. Like Miyazaki's senility. As you can see, Turn A didn't have without violence towards women until episode 3, but G-reco had male-on-female violence in the very first episode.

I grew up in a very different age from Tomino. It was the age of the internet, and the death of face-to-face companionship so I might be missing something here. But, if I was chatting with my co-immigrant friend, I probably wouldn't invite him to strip down and cool off our feet in a nearby river. And if I were to do such a thing, my intentions would go far beyond merely catching up on recent news, oh yes.

Yeah it's a set-up to the main series, this was a prequel but it's supposed to stand on its own. Remember the black hair little girl? Rin (daughter of fire mage had her own episode)? She's the female lead of the new series. Series just started, same studio and the opening fight was amazing.

Let us know if you want more anime recommendation and what your mood is, I'm sure people here will pitch in with suggestions.

Oh awesome. Guess I'll watch that as it comes out.

I liked the story of FZ, was pretty interesting and unique. The series was pretty serious and I appreciated that style. Enjoyed the whole "occult" magic themes that were present in this and perhaps FMA:B as well.

Oh awesome. Guess I'll watch that as it comes out.

I liked the story of FZ, was pretty interesting and unique. The series was pretty serious and I appreciated that style. Enjoyed the whole "occult" magic themes that were present in this and perhaps FMA:B as well.

good to know you enjoyed it and yeah I love it. Definitely in my top 5 anime. There's an OT for Fate Stay Night by the way
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903065

It airs on Saturdays and it is being streamed by Crunchyroll

Here's an extremely small sample of what to expect
tumblr_ncxq7voXzq1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

Come post in the OT if you start watching it. And if you ever want to watch another show definitely let us know.

Gundam Reconguista - 01

I'm ... not sure what I just watched? I may have to go through it again but my only takeaway is that the earth is not square. Awesome.

Shingeki no Bahamut - 01

This was a seriously enjoyable episode. The music and general atmosphere definitely gave me some of those old zorro/3 muskateer movie vibes while the moment with the spinning water wheel immediately reminded me of that scene in Pirates of the Caribbean. A seriously impressive first episode that's got me more than interested to see the rest of the series. Hopefully this wont be an Aldnoah/Zankyou tier disappointment. ;-;

CorvoSol

Patlabor 12

I fucking hate this show. It's good, and my tiny, angry brain doesn't understand how to comprehend things that are good and nice now. I blame myself most.

So this episode is about Officer Ota, who is a hotblooded dude living in a real robot world. People tend to think he's incompetent and a screw up, but he's just really excited about his job! Anyway, Ota's aunt tries to fix him up with a girl, and this girl is actually really sweet and doesn't seem to hate how nervous he is. She impresses him, and for a guy like Ota, her attention does a number on his heart strings.

And I mean, she's a cute girl, has that whole Aerith look going on, and oh yeah she thinks mechs are sexy. So yeah, Ota's in love, and I'm in love, but when he tries to tell her she breaks it off and then things get out of control and it turns out she has a boyfriend already and Ota has to risk his life to save the guy. When it's all said and done this is how the guy looks:

It's rough, really rough, but like a champ, Ota just kinda silently takes it. At the end, this is the poor guy's reward:

Not at all the snowy romance he'd been looking for. This frigid farewell really drives home to me something that I don't think I see a whole lot of real robot shows do: show real people with real problems. And I know, the term came about because robots like the Gundam were depicted as giant machines rather than giant super heroes, but there are times when a sprawling epic about the horrors of war can become pretty damn detached from the real struggles people face, even when it isn't written by Tomino.

So shows like Dai-Guard and Patlabor and to a lesser extent Full Metal Panic! kinda catch my eye when they come along and show you the way that a giant robot figures into the every day lives of ordinary people. Whether it's Aoyama dealing with being called a man-ho because he leaves work every day to secretly care for his sick mother, or Ota sitting in the snow with his crushing loneliness, or Kaname burying the loss of her mother and ruin of her family behind an aggressive and cheerful veneer, there are elements to these shows that are set more in a close depiction of society that I find both endearing and pungent. Just as Kouji shouting bloody murder while firing rockets from his fists is what giant robots are all about, in a way Izumi and Asuma's little office romance between running out to arrest some rampaging robot is what this is all about, too.

The giant robot is almost there to illustrate a point about what makes us human, you know?

fertygo

The wife is real though..
Yeah, the one that appear in front of Kerry is the "real" Irisveil that already became the grail's veil.. in literal sense he truly betray his wife not just breaking illusion.

Dat edginess is real.

good to know you enjoyed it and yeah I love it. Definitely in my top 5 anime. There's an OT for Fate Stay Night by the way

Come post in the OT if you start watching it. And if you ever want to watch another show definitely let us know.

Oh man Woofington. You don't know how bad I want Fate/Stay Night to be good man. First episode was pretty good. I just hope it can keep it up. I guess we will see by this weeks episode.

Yeah, the one that appear in front of Kerry is the "real" Irisveil that already became the grail's veil.. in literal sense he truly betray his wife not just breaking illusion.

Dat edginess is real.

Is that confirmed though?
It always seemed like the spirit of grail in her form at first and then an illusion of his wife and daughter as he realizes that deep down his true wish was to revive her and be together as a family. In fact the grail seems to tell him that she herself is already gone inside the grail

Oh man Woofington. You don't know how bad I want Fate/Stay Night to be good man. First episode was pretty good. I just hope it can keep it up. I guess we will see by this weeks episode.

From what I gather of what you like, chances are you will enjoy it. Maybe even more than Fate Zero, but I can't make that assumption this is just from remembering what aspects of shows we have both seen you liked vs what I liked. It is fairly good and incredibly entertaining. The downside of the series is the lighthearted aspects which they might keep to a minimum here.

You will probably dislike Shirou at first but if there's any route to really like Shirou, it's UBW.

Mizushima should have directed Trinity Seven.

The harem definitely doesn't become secondary, the harem comedy is the main focus of Trinity Seven.

I'd say it has a bit more pull than the magical action, but it's very much in line with other battle harems where there's real conflict and not just perverted antics.

Jex

Forall Gundam 3:

I understand the Turn A was designed by a guy named Syd Mead. I don't know what I find funnier, the English wordplay here that would be, ironically, untranslatable in Japanese. Or the fact that Syd Mead sounds like a Tomino character. Anyway, this scene is extremely Freudian in context. The episode is called "Coming of Age Ceremony", and is about Laura's induction as an adult citizen of Vicinity. This is also where he finds the Turn A, and when... the Turn A's cockpit ball drops. My mind is reeling from all the symbolism.

Au contraire. I think Tomino has gotten worse with age. Like Miyazaki's senility. As you can see, Turn A didn't have without violence towards women until episode 3, but G-reco had male-on-female violence in the very first episode.

I grew up in a very different age from Tomino. It was the age of the internet, and the death of face-to-face companionship so I might be missing something here. But, if I was chatting with my co-immigrant friend, I probably wouldn't invite him to strip down and cool off our feet in a nearby river. And if I were to do such a thing, my intentions would go far beyond merely catching up on recent news, oh yes.
The :dtlification of haly has begun.

Trinity Seven - 1
Is it a good adaptation? Yes.
Mc still as straight face as usual? Yes.
The fucking OP and ED is pretty good, as well as the whole soundtrack it self. I don't remember which group did it though.
But as a fan of this series, I am quite happy as how it turned out.

fertygo

Is that confirmed though?
It always seemed like the spirit of grail in her form at first and then an illusion of his wife and daughter as he realizes that deep down his true wish was to revive her and be together as a family. In fact the grail seems to tell him that she herself is already gone inside the grail

I think the blu-ray extra "Irisveil consultation room" kinda confirm this in its last eps, with Iri talking about felt betrayed

I think with both knows the process she needing to throw her own lives too anyway.. so Kerry cut the whole deal half way is betrayal for her willingness and trust to Kerry or at least that's how I see it.. but yeah its not just merely illusion.

Horrific tumblr filters?

Indeed. I just didn't feel like searching for a GIF when I remembered somebody posted this in the OT.

I think the blu-ray extra "Irisveil consultation room" kinda confirm this in its last eps, with Iri talking about felt betrayed

I think with both knows the process she needing to throw her own lives too anyway.. so Kerry cut the whole deal half way is betrayal for her willingness and trust to Kerry or at least that's how I see it.. but yeah its not just merely illusion.

Gat damn. If so, even more of a heartbreak.

Steins;Gate OVA

Im glad this exists, gives me closure on some level.

There's also the movie if you're willing. It isn't half bad and felt, to me personally, like more of closure. But if you don't really care about Okabe x Kurisu don't bother.

From what I gather of what you like, chances are you will enjoy it. Maybe even more than Fate Zero, but I can't make that assumption this is just from remembering what aspects of shows we have both seen you liked vs what I liked. It is fairly good and incredibly entertaining. The downside of the series is the lighthearted aspects which they might keep to a minimum here.

You will probably dislike Shirou at first but if there's any route to really like Shirou, it's UBW.

That sounds fine. I am going to go ahead and be optimistic on this one considering it's ufotable. For two reasons really. If it fails at least everyone will get a free show from my meltdown. If it is great then we all win. No losers with being optimistic for this.

And if the fights can continue to be as awesome as in the first episode or be half as good as Fate/Zero fights then all will be good. Love me some action scenes.

Indeed. I just didn't feel like searching for a GIF when I remembered somebody posted this in the OT.

Gat damn. If so, even more of a heartbreak.

2PkFbvK.gif

TUSR

Banned
Yeah it introduced a certain character everyone was waiting to see. Plus the stuff with Kurisu and Okabe. Hnnnng.

You mean, best girl?

There are not many great scenes in the show that I decided to screen cap.

White Fox are not the greatest. Ill watch the movie this weekend, the premise seems interesting. I don't expect too much out of it.

cajunator

Banned
You mean, best girl?

There are not many great scenes in the show that I decided to screen cap.

White Fox are not the greatest. Ill watch the movie this weekend, the premise seems interesting. I don't expect too much out of it.

The ova introduced
Suzuha's mother/Daru's future waifu

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Laura's nuts keep getting abused what is this, Tomino?

jman2050

Cmon man, stuff like this is why webms exist.

http://a.pomf.se/ncgkfu.webm

Narag

Forall Gundam 3:

I don't think you appreciate how much of an outiler Turn A is in this regard.
Compared to these other first* episodes, Tomino is showing great restraint.

Laura's nuts keep getting abused what is this, Tomino?

Anger at the suits forcing a male protag on the show.

Soma

Space Dandy OST2

xOdI0Pl.gif

Quite good so far!

There's a really nice blend of funky, energetic electronic tracks and somber, moody guitar based songs. A lot of the electronic songs are very much soaked in that 70s/80's aesthetic and it works out really well even out of context of the show. I'm still a huge fan of a lot of the melancholic songs, especially the ones that Ogre You Asshole contributed. I've yet to come across a track I've wanted to skip and I'm around halfway through disc 2.

Could possibly be my favorite anime soundtrack of the year. The DropKix song owns.

Blusby

Dat edginess is real.

It wasn't Irisviel but Angra Mainyu under the guise of her who was communicating with Kerrytoosugugu as he cannot communicate through any other means, this is elaborated upon in Hollow Ataraxia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom