• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Akatsuki no Yona ep 1
pretty decent first ep, not amazing but I will be checking out the next ep without a doubt.

Seven Deadly Sins episode 1
one of the stronger standard shounen eps in a while. Easily a better first episode then fairy tail or one piece (while I like both of those shows, neither had a particularly strong start), but nothing groundbreaking. I will be checking out the next episode as well.

Trinity Seven episode 1
weakest of the three shows I watched, but still a decent start. I feel the harem will likely hurt the show in general, but ideally it will become a secondary thing and the show will quickly move to big events after quickly introducing all of the girls.

Te
rra
for
ars

Th
is was an
alright epis
ode, but g
od that censo
rship is utterl
y ridiculous, makes thin
gs virtually unwa
tchable. Why would y
ou bother airing th
is on tv if you kne
w you'd have to fac
e a sea of edits?

Narag

Simulcast Schedule (Thanks Midonin!)

Times are UTC/EDT/PDT

Sunday
CR - Celestial Method -14:30/10:30/7:30
CR - Cross Ange - 9:00/5:00/2:00
CR - Gugure! Kokkuri-san 19:05/15:05/12:05
CR - The Fruit of Grisaia - 17:00/13:00/10:00
CR - Tribe Cool Crew - 22:00/18:00/15:00
CR - Wolf Girl and Black Prince - 15:30/11:30/8:30

Monday
CR - Inou Battle wa Nichijou kei no Naka de - 18:05/14:05/11:05
CR - Kaitou Joker - 11:30/8:30/4:30
FN - Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - 15:30/11:30/8:30
CR- Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road - 17:30/13:30/10:30

Tuesday
CR - Akatsuki no Yona - 18:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Trinity Seven - 20:40/16:40/13:40

Wednesday
CR -Chaika -The Coffin Princess- AVENGING BATTLE - 17:05/13:05/10:05
CR - Hi-sCool! Seha Girls - 14:00/10:00/7:00
YT - Gundam Build Fighters TRY - 11:00 7:00/4:00- link
CR - Parasyte -the maxim- - 17:29/13:29/10:29

Thursday
CR - Denki-gai no Honya-san - 14:30/10:30/7:30
CR - I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying - 15:30/11:30/8:30
FN - Ore Twintail ni Narimasu - 18:46/14:46/11:46
FN - Psycho-Pass 2 - 16:50/12:50/9:50
CR - Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru - 18:19/14:19/11:19

Friday
FN - Donten ni Warau - 18:28/14:28/11:28
FN- GARO THE ANIMATION - 17:23/13:23/10:23
FN - selector spread WIXOSS - 17:05/13:05/10:05
CR - Terraformars - 16:30/12:30/9:30

Saturday
CR - Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works - 18:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Karen Senki - 15:00/11:00/8:00
CR - Log Horizon 2 - 11:30/7:30/4:30
FN - Madan no Ou to Vanadis - 14:00/10:00/7:00
FN - Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete - 17:30/13:30/11:30
CR - World Trigger - 22:30/18:30/15:30

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
DS = Daisuki
HL = Hulu
YT = YouTube (direct link to channel next to show)

(regional streaming restrictions may apply)

Jarmel

Banned
Trinity Seven-1

An absolute mess on a structure level but was actually kinda enjoyable. Music was really good. Pacing felt like it was on crack.

Like the OP and ED. This is easily the best song ZAQ has done. OP has some especially good animation cuts.

The entire show reminded me of God Eater weirdly enough.

Rage of Bahamut Genesis 1

Wow damn that was really impressive, probably the single best first episode of a show this year. Really looking forward to seeing more of this.

Trinity Seven 1

Opening: I don't think I like this. Sure there are some good points, but I feel like this is one of those songs were I can just tell I'm going to heavily dislike the full version.
Ending: Ignoring the first 20 seconds or so, it was okay.

Best harem MC since Issei is finally here!

The VA for Arata is absolutely perfect for him.

Not entirely sure why they decided to give Levi boobs (Or make them more noticeable).

Best ninja/girl has no need of that.

She's like one of the few instances when "Flat is Justice!" is absolutely correct.
Huh? Levy in the manga looks not too different to how she does in the anime, I don't think... she's supposed to be small-chested, not flat. Or at least, that's about how she now looks in the manga; I forget if the design changed from the beginning.

Who is the girl with hair over her eye? Im sure AHB would also like to know.
Levy, of course (she was mentioned in the post!). She's pretty cool, probably my favorite one of the Trinity Seven girls. She's a ninja, and is fairly strong and capable too... as of the manga translations so far (ch. 38), she's
the only girl in the harem that the MC hasn't managed to successfully strip yet
, for example.

cajunator

Banned
Simulcast Schedule (Thanks Midonin!)

Times are UTC/EDT/PDT

Sunday
CR - Celestial Method -14:30/10:30/7:30
CR - Cross Ange - 9:00/5:00/2:00
CR - Gugure! Kokkuri-san 19:05/15:05/12:05
CR - The Fruit of Grisaia - 17:00/13:00/10:00
CR - Tribe Cool Crew - 22:00/18:00/15:00
CR - Wolf Girl and Black Prince - 15:30/11:30/8:30

Monday
CR - Inou Battle wa Nichijou kei no Naka de - 18:05/14:05/11:05
CR - Kaitou Joker - 11:30/8:30/4:30
FN - Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - 15:30/11:30/8:30
CR- Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road - 17:30/13:30/10:30

Tuesday
CR - Akatsuki no Yona - 18:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Trinity Seven - 20:40/16:40/13:40

Wednesday
CR -Chaika -The Coffin Princess- AVENGING BATTLE - 17:05/13:05/10:05
CR - Hi-sCool! Seha Girls - 14:00/10:00/7:00
CR - Parasyte -the maxim- - 17:29/13:29/10:29

Thursday
CR - Denki-gai no Honya-san - 14:30/10:30/7:30
CR - I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying - 15:30/11:30/8:30
FN - Ore Twintail ni Narimasu - 18:46/14:46/11:46
FN - Psycho-Pass 2 - 16:50/12:50/9:50
CR - Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru - 18:19/14:19/11:19

Friday
FN - Donten ni Warau - 18:28/14:28/11:28
FN- GARO THE ANIMATION - 17:23/13:23/10:23
FN - selector spread WIXOSS - 17:05/13:05/10:05
CR - Terraformars - 16:30/12:30/9:30

Saturday
CR - Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works - 18:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Karen Senki - 15:00/11:00/8:00
CR - Log Horizon 2 - 11:30/7:30/4:30
FN - Madan no Ou to Vanadis - 14:00/10:00/7:00
FN - Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete - 17:30/13:30/11:30
CR - World Trigger - 22:30/18:30/15:30

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
DS = Daisuki
HL = Hulu
YT = YouTube (direct link to channel next to show)

(regional streaming restrictions may apply)

Youve done a great service, cat.

duckroll

"GBFT kicks off at 8PM Japan time on Oct.8th here on GUNDAM.INFO!new episodes following every Wed!!"

7 hours 20 mins from now.

Jarmel

Banned
Seven Deadly Sins-1

I enjoyed this as well. Again, the music was really good in this.

I think I like how the lead is a midget. Pig is awesome.

Edit: Hahaha so it was Sawano.

I was thinking that last piece sounded like him. I really liked the piano pieces so bully for him.

Steins;Gate - 23

O_O

Okay, first of all. Holy shit at this reveal.
Seriously, I would never have guessed that the guy who hosted the press conference in the first episode was Kurisu's father as well as the guy who killed her!

Second, I'm not sure how I feel about
this final climax arc. I mean, the last episode felt like the real way the show could end. It'd be somewhat anticlimactic yes, but an all right ending all the same.

But then again, I guess the show needed to explain how
Kurisu died before the first D-mail, and this is one way to go about that. Just feels a bit distracting is all. Ah well. This turn of events should make for a very interesting ending to this wild ride of a show at least. Let's see what happens next.

Kieli

Parasyte got licensed on CrankyRoll?!?!?!?!?

*faints*

Edit: Now they just need to animate Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate - 23

O_O

Okay, first of all. Holy shit at this reveal.
Seriously, I would never have guessed that the guy who hosted the press conference in the first episode was Kurisu's father as well as the guy who killed her!

Second, I'm not sure how I feel about
this final climax arc. I mean, the last episode felt like the real way the show could end. It'd be somewhat anticlimactic yes, but an all right ending all the same.

But then again, I guess the show needed to explain how
Kurisu died before the first D-mail, and this is one way to go about that. Just feels a bit distracting is all. Ah well. This turn of events should make for a very interesting ending to this wild ride of a show at least. Let's see what happens next.

It could have ended there but Im glad it didnt because there would have been several loose ends.
the way it wrapped up was quite satisfactory.

Akatsuki no Yona ep 1
pretty decent first ep, not amazing but I will be checking out the next ep without a doubt.

Seven Deadly Sins episode 1
one of the stronger standard shounen eps in a while. Easily a better first episode then fairy tail or one piece (while I like both of those shows, neither had a particularly strong start), but nothing groundbreaking. I will be checking out the next episode as well.

Trinity Seven episode 1
weakest of the three shows I watched, but still a decent start. I feel the harem will likely hurt the show in general, but ideally it will become a secondary thing and the show will quickly move to big events after quickly introducing all of the girls.
The harem definitely doesn't become secondary, the harem comedy is the main focus of Trinity Seven.

Dresden

akatsuki no yona - 1

It was okay. Nothing about it really stands out, but it's not particularly bad either, just ... perfunctory. The last two or so minutes are kinda weird, due to some editing issues, and it would have been better to leave off the episode with Yona facing down the soldiers, or have the conversation between Hak and Minsoo take place before she witnesses the murder.

Guess I'll keep watching. Hak is clearly the best husbando; not a possessive creep, just a bro.

Jarmel

Banned
Ai Tenchi Muyo -1-2
suicide-hanging.jpg

TUSR

Banned
Steins;Gate 22

I knew that
Amane would return. Her fate in the previous world line was so depressing.

But now we have best girl
being erased/dying while she confessed her love to Okabe :(

But
during the credits we learn that we need to stop world war 3. The same world war that was caused by the mother of time travel at SERN?

Fuck.

Baby Steps 8:
Suddenly everything goes really fast. They about 8 months or so in an episode, with several matches that we just saw the very ends of. I would have liked to see a bit more of Ei-chan's struggles in those matches, and maybe some more relationship type stuff between him and Natsuki.

I like that he has to deal with his mom having concerns about him dedicating too much time to the sport and trying to pressure him into studying more. It gives a little extra idea of what his home life is like, although it seems like that tissue might have been resolved.

akatsuki no yona - 1

It was okay. Nothing about it really stands out, but it's not particularly bad either, just ... perfunctory. The last two or so minutes are kinda weird, due to some editing issues, and it would have been better to leave off the episode with Yona facing down the soldiers, or have the conversation between Hak and Minsoo take place before she witnesses the murder.

Guess I'll keep watching. Hak is clearly the best husbando; not a possessive creep, just a bro.

Yeah, that was weird. When it first happened I was wondering if it was put in there to suggest Min-soo being involved in whatever was going down, but maybe it was just a weird editing issue.

Jex

Forall Gundam 1:
Since G-Reco is airing and it's total nonsense, I figure this is a good time to finally watch Forall Gundam, the most vaunted of non-OVA, non-movie, "UC-era", Tomino-directed Gundams.

iQxjYrRDFcTSP.jpg

3 minutes to nudity.

I've heard rumours of Tomino's editing prowess from trustworthy sources like Gundam Sousei, where he was referred to as a "god of editing", and the G-Reco thread, and I get to see his legendary abilities here. The first episode encapsulates something like 2 years. Laura reaches Earth, almost drowns, gets saved by royal lolis, gets a job in the mines of the loli family, becomes chaffeur for the loli family, and then the real plot begins. The thing is, there are no transition scenes. Each time frame cuts instantly to the next with no real point of reference for how fast time is passing. It's almost as if Tomino felt that transitional scenes/dialogue were beneath him, and that he was in a hurry to get to the meat of the story. Which brings up the question of why we needed Laura to land 2 years before the story begins. I guess to establish tone and setting. But if you're going to do that, you might as well put some effort into it rather than railroad through content you find "boring". Also, it breaks one of the cardinal rules of serialized television, which is that the first few episodes needs to answer the question of: "Why should I, the viewer, care about this?"

I notice old anime tend use and abuse imagery and themes from feudal Europe. Many of the older Gundams made use of that setting, as well as LOGH, Crest of the Stars, Space Battleship Yamato, etc. Coincidentally, these series were all sci-fi/space opera. I wonder if this is due to the influence of Western properties, like Star Wars, or earlier anime like Rose of Versailles and Anne of Green Gables. Remember back when studios adapted literary classics, instead of chewni self-insert harem fanservice trash?

Yeah, good times.
If anything, you can see how much restraint Tomino has learnt to employ in G-Reco!

Nordicus

SO it's not a harem show, it's just basically a harem show? :p

I guess the question is, is this a 'well only one/two girls actually love him despite the harem setting' situation, or just the generic haremey-comedy stupidity that episode one sort of seemed to suggest to me. Regardless the show wasn't particularly good, though, so I don't know if it really matters which one of the two it is...
There will be 3 distinct couples sooner or later where there now are none

Edit: it's love comedy nonsense, sure, but not harem

survivor

Banned
So there is a new trailer for the Ao Haru Ride live action film. I don't know, the anime was pretty bad, but this seems like it might be more tolerable to watch? I think I'm turning into kurita

Ai Tenchi Muyo -1-2
[IMGhttps://krackedkillers.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/suicide-hanging.jpg[/IMG]

I tried watching an episode. I really did. I remember Tenchi Muyo from really back in the days plus I recently watched that badass spin-off OVA series. I could deal with the harem stuff just enough to get through.

This thing though. This is on a level of pervertedness that got me off guard. I didn't last a minute because it instantly went for in his face pantsu. I don't even know if it can be called lewd. It was disgusting.

Jex

Thank you.

Now I can confidently say the name is doubly stupid.

You're right. Tomino's leaning towards 'cool' sounding names can backfire quite badly.

Still, I wasn't really actively bothered by Tomino's lack of clear explanation of factions/information. I suppose I just kind of let it all wash over me, as a viewer, while hoping to work it all out 'eventually'.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Here's a short postmortem on the reception of Dandy and talking about some of the talent that worked on the show, what they did and where they came from.

When do the Blu-Rays come out in the US? I only see the Japanese versions on Amazon.

Pretty much all the worst aspects of anime that aren't morally reprehensible :/
Dandy truly was something special.

Also, Tenchi sounds like it might be the worst show this season, I must see for myself.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
EDIT: Well I'll post this up once it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom