• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 console mods |OT| Mod peasants strike back

gossi

Fallout 4 mods are here on Xbox One. All mods are free. There are almost no restrictions.

v3I0JnI.gif

Bullet time, unlimited sprint, dark night, pip boy lighting, realistic ragdolls

Availability
Xbox One - Available now.
Playstation 4 - Coming soon again (for real).

Here's what my game looks like with 38 mods on Xbox One. I've used less than 10% of the available mod storage.

pxYdDbt.jpg

How many mods are available?
At the time of writing, over 1000 mods are available for Xbox One. This list grows by around 100 per day.

How do I gain access?
You need to register a Bethesda.net account. Head to this link and look for signup on the top right side. Remember your username and password. https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/view-all?platform=XB1

What types of mods are available?
Lots. New quests, new vaults, new companions, texture and environment replacement mods, new workshop items, build anywhere mods, new weapons, no carry weight, camping mods etc etc. People are going nuts. Bethesda have made anything exportable from Creation Kit - the game engine dev tool - publishable via Bethesda.net on console. They even have licensed script extenders. You can code inside the engine. You can bundle in meshes, new zones, etc - to a max of 2gb.

Okay. Brand new save using Live Another Life mod (skip intro) in survival mode with about 45 other mods, inc lighting and graphics. Performance loss is 3fps.

HnYAAVK.jpg

oillELE.jpg

What are the creator restrictions?
No boobs, no copyrighted material. There's a ToS on their website. Anybody can upload a mod, anybody can also report mods for Bethesda to review.

What are the user restrictions?
You can activate up to 2gb of downloaded mods at the same time. Achievements are disabled - this was a requirement from Microsoft and Sony.

Won't this adversely impact performance and stability of the game?
If you install 30 crazy and incompatible mods, yes, you may well impact performance and/or stability. Basically, be sensible and save often. If you use carefully selected mods - read the ratings and rate yourself - you will be fine.

How do I create mods?
You need Fallout 4 on PC, then head to CreationKit.com to get the free dev tools. There is a big learning curve.

What if I want to play both with and without mods?
Bethesda have you covered. If you start using mods on an existing save, the game makes a "Modded" folder and keeps the existing saves.

Any other cool features?
You can subscribe to mods via the Bethesda website, and they auto sync to your console when you next start Fallout 4 - so you can shop at work. Assuming your boss is cool. Also each time a creator updates their mod, it shows the updated version to download.

How popular are they?
Bethesda so that the mod launch on Xbox One got 50 times more traffic than on PC: https://twitter.com/bethesdastudios/status/738068150156156929. Many of the mods already have multiple millions of views.

Aren't Bethesda opening Pandora's Box here?
I was in the beta. Yes. Yes they are.

8 cool Fallout 4 Xbox mods from Eurogamer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kvvIl6fHq8

Aww yisss. I hope the performance will stay like it is even with mods.
But I think I will keep playing without them until I get all trophies and then one day start a new character with mods and survival.

Corpekata

Banned
They really need to work on that website interface. Why is there no option to view the top rated mods once you've selected a platform? Makes browsing it practically useless.

Dunkley

I think this could be a game-changer.
Isnt it the first game on consoles with mods ?!

Nah, as far as I remember Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 supported mods, however beats me what really the first console game ever was to support mods.

Corpekata

Banned
They really need to work on that website interface. Why is there no option to view the top rated mods once you've selected a platform? Makes browsing it practically useless.

Okay, if you want a better way to browse, first go to the All Platforms version, then go to Top Rated All Time, then filter to Xbox, much better browsing that way.

So how much is 2gb as far as game size? Can you, for instance, play a mod that has new quests and such?

And is this gonna be similar to the kinds of mods from Skyrim and fallout 3?

I've no experience with PC mods or anything.

packy34

It's nice of Bethesda to try this, but I'm still skeptical of how it will work over time. Mods are about freedom. Building a walled garden and restricting content goes against that philosophy. And a 2GB maximum is extremely limiting... Anyone familiar with modding on PC can tell you that.

I suppose it's better than no mods at all, though.

So how much is 2gb as far as game size? Can you, for instance, play a mod that has new quests and such?

Probably not. Not very large ones, anyway.

Corpekata

Banned
2GB won't be that restrictive. Even Helgen Reborn which is a really popular Skyrim quest mod was like 200MB. It might not be ideal for those looking specifically for new content but you should still be able to have a lot.

Demo85

Banned
When I think mods for Bethesda games I think of graphics upgrades which the consoles can't do and copyrighted stuff like MLP and Tomas the Tank Engine, can the copyrighted mods go up on the consoles?

I also think of NSFW mods but it wouldn't be tasteful to talk about them here

Floody

This is actually really cool, I was expecting it to be really limited to mostly just armour and weapons, but some stuff could really change the game (I've even found one which apparently breaks the game on Xbox, according to the comments), will give it a few months for the community to really get going and jump back in to Fallout.

Also yeah, why can't we filter by top rated?

packy34

2GB won't be that restrictive. Even Helgen Reborn which is a really popular Skyrim quest mod was like 200MB. It might not be ideal for those looking specifically for new content but you should still be able to have a lot.

You can add different mods up to 2GB real quick. Take a look at the top mods on nexus and do the math on how many of those a console player could use at once under that restriction.

gossi

2gb is bigger than the first two Fallout 4 DLC. The average mod size is under 0.01gb so far. Wasteland Workshop DLC was 0.09gb, as an example. (Also, Addon size doesn't impact Mod size, for those pondering).

Corpekata

Banned
You can add different mods up to 2GB real quick. Take a look at the top mods on nexus and do the math on how many of those a console player could use at once under that restriction.

Like 30+ ? The top mods, only like Armorsmith is "large" at 200 mb. Almost all of the bigger ones aren't likely to hit console in the first place due to their nature (like the texture optimization project).

Of course, Fallout 4 modding hasn't really taken off quite yet so it might end up being that most of the good stuff will be hard to combine.

packy34

Like 30+ ? The top mods, only like Armorsmith is "large" at 200 mb. Almost all of the bigger ones aren't likely to hit console in the first place due to their nature (like the texture optimization project).

Of course, Fallout 4 modding hasn't really taken off quite yet so it might end up being that most of the good stuff will be hard to combine.

One of my favorites is Old World Radio - Boston. It adds 15+ fully featured radio stations, some with original voiced dialogue. All that audio makes it a massive download though... Meaning it probably can't or won't make it to consoles.

gossi

One of my favorites is Old World Radio - Boston. It adds 15+ fully featured radio stations, some with original voiced dialogue. All that audio makes it a massive download though... Meaning it probably can't or won't make it to consoles.

Well yes, 15 new full radio stations wouldn't make it to console (or Bethesda.net due to copyright).

packy34

Well yes, 15 new full radio stations wouldn't make it to console (or Bethesda.net due to copyright).

Everything in the mod was sourced with permission. It's all there on the page. Copyright wouldn't be the issue - size would.

Lots of mods are available for consoles. This might be a game changer for modding in console games from now on.

Usually end up with 10gb+ for Skyrim and Fallout mods, but the big ones are usually texture replacements mods, like 4k trees etc. I believe such mods won't reach consoles. At least from what I've seen so far. The regular mods are pretty small, below 100mbs.

I think this could be a game-changer.
Isnt it the first game on consoles with mods ?!

I highly doubt so, it takes a lot of work to get this going and are there that many multi-platform games that have lots of mods and are equal on all platforms?
Especially in this day and age of games as a service and multiplayer games in general. It also gives some inconveniences like patching all platforms at once, it you want to do it correctly and not break mods/the game on a particular platform.

Only when Sony for example adds in support for the Steam Workshop in one way or another, we'll maybe get more games that support it.

You could create an entire new Far Harbour sized island for less than 2GB if you used mainly stock vanilla assets. Very few limitations here.

I think the only reason my Skyrim mod folder is so huge is because of all the HD texture overhauls, not the content additions.

gossi

You could create an entire new Far Harbour sized island for less than 2GB if you used mainly stock vanilla assets. The vast majority (99%+) of mods will weigh in at less than 2GB, with only the kind of mods consoles won't handle topping that (2k-4k texture overhauls).

In fairness, it's 2gb combined. However only a tiny fraction of the mods published so far are over 150mb (0.15gb of 2gb). So you would REALLY have to try to hit 2gb right now.

You can also enable and disable mods on the fly, although - save often.

In fairness, it's 2gb combined. However only a tiny fraction of the mods published so far are over 150mb (0.15gb of 2gb). So you would REALLY have to try to hit 2gb right now.

You can also enable and disable mods on the fly, although - save often.

Yep, it's probably important to have a limit so people new to modding don't try and install literally everything. I don't imagine 2GB being a limit many people will run into yet.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

And is this gonna be similar to the kinds of mods from Skyrim and fallout 3?

I've no experience with PC mods or anything.

Assuming texture packs and environment mods means what i think it does, yes its similar to Skyrim and FO3 mods.

Luckily the PS4 and XB1 have no need for super high res texture or environmental packs beyond what they can handle. They can use lower quality approximations that still go beyond the base game visually.

gossi

I think it's probably worth stating Bethesda don't QA or approve mods in any way - they just remove for boobs - so be careful what you install. Mods can't escape the Fallout sandbox, but they can crash or badly glitch the base game - so look for ones with good ratings and reviews. Don't install 300 shit mods and then moan about a broken game.

If it all goes wrong you can remove mods from the title menu, though - but their impact is still felt in game (eg if you turn gravity almost off, save and then uninstall the mod.. Prepare for Zero G still).

deadman69

I think it's probably worth stating Bethesda don't QA or approve mods in any way - they just remove for boobs - so be careful what you install. Mods can't escape the Fallout sandbox, but they can crash or badly glitch the base game - so look for ones with good ratings and reviews. Don't install 300 shit mods and then moan about a broken game.

beware of keyloggers as well.

gossi

Some cool console mods to try:

No Green Weather by Gaffer MrTroubleMan - https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/mod-detail/1075796

This mod removes the green tint from the radiation weathers all over the Commonwealth and Far Harbor, but does not change the Radiation Damage. It also adds rain to Radstorms (the weather with the electrical storms). Plus it adds common Commonwealth weathers to the Glowing Sea and Far Harbor weathers to Atom Springs.

b136e2c2-d19a-4186-8c30-1212cf3d99cc_preview_1075796_4589112632637111379_large.png

Underground Bus Hideout - https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/mod-detail/1073926

FEATURES: - A fully implemented underground player home - Craftable, place in your settlement - Plenty of storage for all your stuff - Lots of food and purified water

f1747bbb-41e6-42fa-893a-e2806c064525_preview_1073926_4983294201232874822_large.png

Build Your Own Vault - https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/mod-detail/1018112

Adds full player vault construction to the game.

9dd7086e-e27c-4b8c-a5d0-cc737905c69f_preview_1018112_13190670409871852118_large.png

Conquest - Build New Settlements and Camping - https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/mod-detail/958032

Exactly what it says on the tin. Build settlements anywhere, recruit people, camp anywhere.

89a8f74e-dd57-4541-8e33-5a1081dbfed4_preview_958032_16258158792182594212_large.png

gossi

That's both great and insane to hear.

Oh, killable children is on there too.

Yeah. When I say Bethesda have opened Pandora's box here I'm not joking. Technically there are almost no restrictions, bar file size - Bethesda have handed over the game development tools to everybody, basically. Over half the PC mods are now in the beta, and it's growing at such a rate a majority should make it over by June. Publishing from Creation Kit to console is as easy as ticking Xbox and PlayStation when uploading the mod to PC.

The #1 most installed mod in the beta was a cheat mod, which should show why achievements are disabled by the way.

Top Bottom