• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, as a console gamer, what are PC mods about?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean Counter Strike and Natural Selection where Half-Life Mods. Team Fortress was a Quake mod. These all evolved into there own titles, some of which like Counter Strike and TF2 staples of multiplayer games today

Natural Selection its stand alone title NS2 eventually resulted in Subnautica, which references events in the mod and games as they are the same universe.

Essentially before things like Unity and Unreal engine, mods where how bedroom developers got to make games and try out their ideas. This is why you mainly only see smaller mods vs total conversions like the mods of old.

Hell even the most insane mod of all time

Jaykin Bacon got its own fucking game

Last edited:

Hudo

Sometimes there are mods that are far and above official releases. Take Heroes of Might and Magic 3 HD Mod vs Ubisoft's official "HD" release of HoMM3.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Here’s an example of how nuts modding can be.

Mods can be downright awesome.

- New suits or characters from other games inserted into the one you’re playing.
- Alter the lighting and textures of the world
- Add new assets like better faces, bodies on characters, or better flora and fauna
- literally fix what a shitty publisher like Square didn’t
- Completely new levels or stages.
- Add new armor, weapons, and combat moves.
- Make games easier or harder. Moss the old days of cheat codes? Do it all yourself.
- Remove all of the opening logos/publisher name before a game starts.

There’s just an immense amount of stuff that can modded, and some games have way more mods than others.

There’s organizers to keep track of your mods as well.

I don’t mod every game, but I will look into them for some games and mess with the stuff I find really fun. I went apeshit over all the badass Spiderman suit mods because there’s so many good ones. Shit that you’d have to pay microtransactions for if the publisher did them.

I will show you 3 games that i have used mods:
X - Com 2
Doom
Alien Isolation

The game XCOM 2 is really good, and mods make it even better. For example, when an enemy moves, you can use Overwatch to react and attack automatically. In the "vanilla" game, each squad member attacks in sequence, which can take a long time. I chose a mod where everyone attacks at once.

Another mod allows the game's zombies to have different appearances, like American football player uniforms, cheerleaders, office workers, and so on, making the visuals more enjoyable.

In this DLC (War of the Chosen), you often find yourself having to shoot dozens of zombies, which can become tedious. There's a mod that lets your character automatically react by shooting them. Whenever there's a headshot, the character keeps shooting until they run out of ammo.

It might seem like cheating, but it's something that makes the game more realistic and lets you use the zombies even to strategically attack your opponents.

Another thing I really like is the voice packs. You can use them to give more personality to a character, especially since you become attached to the soldiers. I'll show you some examples I installed:

Doom
Just check how this games look when you install Project Brutallity

Alien Isolation

The game Alien Isolation has a significant issue in my humble opinion: the game keeps the Alien tethered to you with a "leash," and that has always bothered me greatly. It's always too close. The Unpredictable Alien mod allows the Alien to roam throughout the entire map and surprise you when you least expect it. It will never do the same thing twice, which means you might safely pass through an area in one playthrough and die in that same area in the next.

It will catch you off guard, waiting in ventilation ducts, sneaking up from behind you, and similar situations.

This video here was recorded by me personally; if it were the normal game, the Alien would be glued to me, annoying me all the time.

Modding is, in many ways, the best thing about the computer platform - even ahead of the performance and visual gains.

It can fix issues, add character models, create new content, and much more.

I was somewhat apprehensive about installing mods at first, being suspicious and wary of the potential for malware etc...but if you use trusted sites it's really not an issue.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Honestly mods are so good just to fix annoyances.

Like wow this piss filter on RE5 sucks ass, I'll just mod to remove it and oh wow everything was actually designed with colors and intelligent artistic design before some exec asked them to slap on a trendy effect. It looks like Far Cry 2 but better.

Wow, this limited inventory sure does suck. The game is all about crafting yet I am encumbered? Not anymore! JRPG style weightless inventory is a go!

Wow, they didn't even add this incredibly basic control option? I'll just use a mod to add it in!

Wow these shadows are complete garbage. Buggy, misapplied, stretched/dithered/banding... not anymore after this mod!

Wow the LOD was completely thoughtless in this game, it's using super high quality meshes on mountains 10,000 feet away and it bogs down performance, yet the trees turn into different breeds 3 times as you approach. Not anymore after this ridiculously elaborate entire reprogramming of the game someone did to have multiple new meshes for every object at various distances to double performance while also having more natural/less noticable detail transitions!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This is one of my fav videos but no. The game does not look like that really. enb preset fits some scenes but ruins other as always

It’s not always perfect but when it hits it looks spectacular. I love just driving around in that game and taking screenshots.

Gorgon

Modding is, in many ways, the best thing about the computer platform - even ahead of the performance and visual gains.

It can fix issues, add character models, create new content, and much more.

I was somewhat apprehensive about installing mods at first, being suspicious and wary of the potential for malware etc...but if you use trusted sites it's really not an issue.

For me that's exactely it. It didn't bother me to play exclusively on a PS4 and now on a PS5 after coming from decades of PC gaming previously. The visual bang was a matter of diminishing returns that didn't justify the assle of staying in PC gaming for me personally. But I miss the mods immensely to the point that this will be my last gen on consoles. Mods bring a completely new life to the games you already own, and they're free. I just recently replayed FO4 and Skyrim on the XSX with mods and man it hit hard how much I've missed them.

Nudity, first of all.

Every time my girlfriend says she wants to revisit Skyrim or Fallout 4 I say "say no more!"

Then I install the game and download the mods for huge dicks and nude girls.

We're both 40 btw. 😌

Last edited:

Gorgon

Nudity, first of all.

Every time my girlfriend says she wants to revisit Skyrim or Fallout 4 I say "say no more!"

Then I install the game and download the mods for huge dicks and nude girls.

We're both 40 btw. 😌

For Skyrim, and being a fan of classic Sword & Sorcery, I totally went for new body models and nudity. Given that S&S is totally dead in the WRPG zeitgeist, Skyrim with mods gave some of that exotic Frazetta vibe back.

For FO4 my female character looks like Major Kuzanagi from Ghost in the Shell, with a cool military style leotard and modern weapons.

Can't honestly imagine replaying these games for dozens of hours again without mods. Mods totally inject new life into them.

This is on my XSX:

Last edited:

CGNoire

My Titus in Space Marines has always had a beard and I wont be playing SM2 until the beard mod drops.

Last edited:

El Muerto

With mods you can deliver a truckload of bad dragon sex toys in an Eva truck.
MyThY7y.png

Dream-Knife

Banned
I mean Counter Strike and Natural Selection where Half-Life Mods. Team Fortress was a Quake mod. These all evolved into there own titles, some of which like Counter Strike and TF2 staples of multiplayer games today

Natural Selection its stand alone title NS2 eventually resulted in Subnautica, which references events in the mod and games as they are the same universe.

Essentially before things like Unity and Unreal engine, mods where how bedroom developers got to make games and try out their ideas. This is why you mainly only see smaller mods vs total conversions like the mods of old.

Hell even the most insane mod of all time

Jaykin Bacon got its own fucking game

Isn't Half-Life technically a Quake mod?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Check out this video:

Even though it's for the VR version of the game, this perfectly encapsulates why mods are such a great part of PC gaming.

Buggy Loop

Some of the biggest games today with the most concurrent players started as mods

Counter-strike (started as mod of Half-Life)
Dota (Started as mod of Warcraft III)
Team Fortress (started as mod of Quake)
Black Mesa (started as mod of Half-Life 2)
Stalker totally different experience from original releases, also Anomaly mod
Patching of fucked up/unfinished games like KOTOR 2, Vampire the masquerade bloodlines
Skywind (skyrim mod)
Enderal Forgotten Stories (Skyrim mod)
Brutal Doom (Doom mod)
The Dark mod (Doom 3 mod)
Garry's mod (Half-Life mod)
Neo-tokyo (Half-Life mod)
The Nameless mod (Deus Ex mod)

Just look at this Half Life 2 mod that releases this year

Look at the user score (and it’s free)

Tons of mods on VR, like all unreal engine games are modable for VR.

And let's not even mention the sim genre, either racing/flight/space.

How does a 2004 game in sim rally stays relevant to the community all this time?

Mods

Why are peoples still installing Falcon 4.0 (1998) and find it still one of the best flight sim around?

Mods

It’s the best goddamn community on PC. The work they put in for all genre of games, they’re dedicated like nobody else, they’re more dedicated than the original devs I would say.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I have heard that modders can actually add DLSS into games?
How are they able to do that when it requires training via Nvidia computers?

It doesn’t anymore, not on a game basis or even “live” during the game. The algorithm was trained on ML via Nvidia servers, but the implementation doesn’t require it anymore. Once the game has the motion vectors enabled for TAA or FSR, you can hijack this same information to make DLSS work.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I modify most of my games, but with small things. Like right now I added the camera mod for BG III just so I can look up and down. On the other hand, some games simply ask to be heavily modified, such as Bethesda's games.
This is also useful for modders as they can practice their skills and gain recognition, as late as this week for example:

Reshade is also a MUST HAVE in some games to get rid of the horrible filters that some developers inject into their engine (looking at you Creative Assembly/Eidos/Ubi)

Holammer

I don't mod that much, but I do add CRT filters with Reshade when I think it's appropriate or RTGI to WiiU emulation for extra fancy BotW. Framerate fixes, draw distance etc.
I used less dramatic settings than this video, but it shows what can be done.

Olimbox

Neo Member
thanks to modding community I had some of the best VR gaming experience. Elden ring, Dark Souls, cyberpunk, uncharted 4, resident evil 4 remake, and many more

For me that's exactely it. It didn't bother me to play exclusively on a PS4 and now on a PS5 after coming from decades of PC gaming previously. The visual bang was a matter of diminishing returns that didn't justify the assle of staying in PC gaming for me personally. But I miss the mods immensely to the point that this will be my last gen on consoles. Mods bring a completely new life to the games you already own, and they're free. I just recently replayed FO4 and Skyrim on the XSX with mods and man it hit hard how much I've missed them.
Yes, it definitely changes the experience in profound way, I agree.

I find it crazy how in 2023 there are still people so oblivious to modding that they ask if it's piracy.

Absolutely bonkers.
Mods!!!! He's accusing me of something...
In all seriousness, as a console gamer you hear things like "I will wait for the modders to fix it" or "I can't wait to see what the modders will do with this" or "with mods this game will be played for a decade".

Last edited:
Top Bottom