• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, as a console gamer, what are PC mods about?

As a console gamer, I have always heard about the PC modding community, how they improve graphics, add new characters etc etc, so my question is, how does this all work?

How do modders actually get to alter the game code? Is it a pirate version of the game?
Do the game developers try to sue people for doing it?
What are the type of things that modders can actually do?
Do you have to pay for mods?
Can you add more than one mod to the base game, or can you just add all the different ones?
Then you hear that Bethesda actually like the modders and hire them. Do they hire them as talent for their own game development, or do they also do mods?

Thanks

Topher

Gold Member
michael fassbender perfection GIF

Yes. No
Why?
Change the games code
If you want to
Yes. If there are no conflicts
Employers hire people based on their education and experience

Crayon

It's about you paid for your fucking game and you can do whatever you want with it.

They range from little fixes, to tweaks, to extra content, upgraded assets, and even whole new games.

I generally do tiny mods to tweak games I've been playing too much lol. I generally want to play stuff vanilla but I play a game long enough and start getting ideas about how I know better.

Skyrim for example, I like modding it so the day cycle is much longer and night is dark af. Reduce carry weight. Add hunger, thirst, and sleep. And sure, make the tits huge.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its great for PC gamers but at same time I hate how some developers like Bethesda heavily relies on its community to fix their broken games with Mods.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How do modders actually get to alter the game code? Is it a pirate version of the game?
Some game devs specifically make their games to be moddable, like bethesda. They release documentation and creation systems to help modders. Other times modders find ways to inject the mod code into the game through exploirts. Othertimes game devs leave the games main files realitively open but don't help modders at all, so it takes some time for them to figure things out.

Very rarely, but it has happened. Rockstar's publisher has notoriously been against any mods of their games and have sent take down request.

Anything, Skyrim modders have litterally made whole new games out of it, with unique worlds and plot lines. Others have turned games into sex sims. Others have added VR into non-vr games. Or added third person camera angles to games like Cybperpunk, or added performance/graphic features.

Most are free, Bethesda has opened up a marketplace for community mods where modders can sell there mods though, so there are opportunities for making money.

Can you add more than one mod to the base game, or can you just add all the different ones?
Yep! My current Skyrim install is running over 200 mods
My Hogwarts Legacy playthrough had over a dozen mods
My last cyberpunk had 5 mods that totally changed the game

Do they hire them as talent for their own game development, or do they also do mods?
Its rare, but modders have been hired onto the internal dev teams, no better resume space than showing you understand the game and its audiance! Many team members at Valve came from mod projects!

Last edited:
The main thing with Mods is that they do things that can't be done by game studios.

Nevermind the variety of nude and sex mods, the ability to ignore copyrights is what got us Thomas the Tank Engine showing up in Skyrim. You can mod any number of existing IPs into any game, that game studios just can't do without getting sued.

Bethesda try to make money off mods, but the reality is some of the most popular mods are simply not possible to do in normal games and that is why they are mods to begin with.

TES actually DID have nudity in Daggerfall. But from Morrowind onwards they are no longer in vanilla games. The mod community merely gave the gamers back what they always were suppose to have. That is why nude patches are some of the most popular. Also, people don't complain about how the NPCs are not pretty enough in TES games because beautification mods are everywhere. Skyrim is better known as "Beautiful Women Simulator" in China. 少女卷轴

JimboJones

I remember in the original sims I downloaded a Darth Vader and Stormtrooper skin, they moved in as a gay couple and had a big love bed in the middle of the house.

Kurt Cobain lived in a floating house only accessable via teleporter.

Good times.

Roni

Gold Member
As a console gamer, I have always heard about the PC modding community, how they improve graphics, add new characters etc etc, so my question is, how does this all work?
Mods can affect either either code or assets.

In the case of code, you need to be able to change the game's code and have it run. There are various ways of going about this: as mentioned before, some devs give you direct access, others don't. If they don't, it takes longer to do it, but it's not impossible. In the end, all computer code is 0's and 1's and Assembly, the name of the language that uses 0's and 1's, has been pretty stable for some 20 years or more. You can just look at the code using something like Ghidra and, with a little bit of elbow grease, you get past the code obsfuscation and then you can actually write more code that allows you to inject new code into the game without the initial hassle. Even though CDPR has given people access to Cyberpunk's code through REDMod, for example, some computer wizards actually spend quite a bit of time reverse engineering (the technical name of what's being done) the game's code all the same and have unlocked some more powerful ways to change the game past what's possible with the official tools.

In the case of assets, you can use a higher quality texture or model, maybe create and use new animations. The simplest version of this is replacing a file the game uses with one you created. May or may not require you to unpack the game's assets and then repack them. To do that, you need code and the "password" the devs used to pack the assets. Some modders simply brute force or guess these passwords...

RE4 has a pretty notorious HD mod that is basically changing the textures. Skyrim has tons of model insert mods and some guy actually created a whole new moveset for Arkham Knight that is like the Nolan movies...
Like it's been said, sometimes access to the code is given at different levels. Some devs just give away the source code of the game after a while, some games have their source codes leaked and some others have their codes reverse engineered.
Some do, but that's usually very harsh and usually ends up in the media.
You can pretty much reprogram the entire game. Changing the assets (sounds, models, animations, textures) or the game's behavior. And behavior here is pretty general: you can change the rules of the game, you can change the game's interface, introduce new control schemes or even an entirely new way of playing like making the game use motion controls. Depends how much access you got to the game's code and how far you're willing to go to get it.
Not normally, but I remember Bethesda took a crack at setting that up. Never got very far as far as I know...
Mod Loaders have become a pretty common sight in modding communities... Used to be that you would have to design the mods to work together, and that's still a thing today, but it's much easier to combine mods nowadays if they change different parts of the game with these Mod Loaders.
Then you hear that Bethesda actually like the modders and hire them. Do they hire them as talent for their own game development, or do they also do mods?
Competence with foreign and poorly documented tools usually signals companies you'd fare well in a development environment. So, yeah, that does happen.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Game is composed of multiple files. When you download a game, the files is delivered in a packaged form like a luggage.

When game is installed on PC or console, the files are unpacked and laid out properly, ready for use. Just like unpacking the luggage and putting everything in their places. you can access these files directly on PC, but not on console.

Modding is merely altering these files. Like replacing your toothbrush with an electronic toothbrush, or replace with another color, whatever.

Replacing character or audio is simply taking the files from another game (or make one yourself) and replace the one in the game.

But games are build differently so sometimes specialized software had to be used to access or modify them.

You don’t need a pirated version of a game to mod.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
some guys reverse engineer parts of the game code, which is especially necessary for romhack mods. others like Bethesda make it easy to mod thru a very open engine.
Typically though most mods revolve around model swaps which is why there's a lot of nude mods out there. personally they can be hot and funny, but kind of unimpressive IMO

The real fun stuff comes from the total conversions done to older games which can completely change the way you see a game

This is DOOM as you remember it on your 386 back in the 90s

maxresdefault.jpg

Now, here's doom as a Sonic The Hedgehog platformer. (Sonic Robo Blast 2)

srb20023-1.png

And Doom, as a Sonic the Hedgehog Kart Racer. (Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart)

dstdb25xoaqop_v.jpg

Doom as a Megaman Arena shooter. (Megaman 8 Bit Deathmatch)

Mega-Man-8-bit-Deathmatch.jpg

Doom as a (very visually impressive) Castlevania game reminiscent of the NES/SNES games. (Castlevania: Simon's Destiny)

Castlevania-Simons-Destiny-feature.jpg

Doom reimagined into a Mario shooter. (Doom: The Golden Souls 2)

maxresdefault.jpg

And finally, Doom reimagined as one of the greatest surreal horror video games I have ever seen. (myhouse.wad. PLEASE play this one.)

9adbcaadb1.jpg

These are all mods. For Doom. Built off the source code. There's many more like them. In JUST THIS ONE GAME. There's more in other games, as well. Minecraft and Mario mods are even crazier than this shit. You've seen nothing.

nope lol all this shits free, by the community for the community.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
In most cases mod creators will just upload the files they altered, so other players can download and replace the one in their PC.

So if the mod creators alter ammo = 30 to ammo = 999 to all 50 individual weapon files. He zip the 50 files into 1 file, upload it, folks download it, unpack all 50 files and put them in their game folder. Now all 50 weapons will have 999 ammo in their game.

At times mod creators may even make user friendly software so players can mod themselves easily. Just launch the software, type in 299 for handgun ammo, click on the “all weapons unlocked” tab and you have handgun with 299 ammo and all weapons unlocked.

Most PC modders just download the modded files rather then creating mods themselves, as modding require some fair share of technical knowledge and skills such as programming, 3D modelling or using photoshop.

Fredrik

It’s what’s pushing a game from a 10/10 to a 11/10.

Almost everything can be changed.

To be honest, if you have managed to stay away from modding this whole time and have no plans to get a PC you should probably not look too much into this.

But if you plan to get a PC then check out nexusmods for your favorite game.

Larxia

It can be a bit of everything.
You can have mods to fix some bugs, to add new features that players want, to improve graphics, it's modifying the game to make it do things you wish it did.

In my exemple I'm a modder myself who focuses mostly on levels / environments. I did multiple ports and expansions of tony hawk levels for Tony Hawk's Underground Pro on PC, which is actually already a mod of Tony Hawk's Underground 2, allowing people to play together online on almost on the levels from the series. I did modding inside a mod :messenger_grinning:

Lately I've been working on this:

I've always been incredibly disappointed by the fact that Final Fantasy XV doesn't include much of the city of Insomnia, which was what a lot of us were looking forward to with Final Fantasy Versus XIII / Final Fantasy XV. I decided to start a project to collect all assets I could use from the game and edit them to rebuild a version of the city I would like, and build that "Versus XIII" game that we never got, inside Kingdom Hearts III instead, because of how close the projects actually are.

About how it's done, it really depends on the game. Some stuff can be done from scratch if the person behind the mod know what they're doing and manage to improvise something, depending on the game files format / engine etc, there can be some generic tools for some stuff too.
Most of the times though, you will need some specific tools to be able to do big mods that go in depth into modifying the games. Such tools can be provided by the devs officially sometimes, but that's rare, and most of the time it's the community who will create tools to allow other people to create mods, it's a community effort.

In my case, for my Tony Hawk levels, it was all done inside Blender (3D software) directly, because someone made a plugin for it which can read the game's level file format, import them into blender, or export your own 3D scenes as levels for the game, with different features to let us add specific triggers on different surfaces, make path nodes to allow grinds etc...

In the case of Kingdom Hearts, I build the city in Blender, but the project is possible thanks to a customized version of Unreal Engine that was put together by people in the KH Modding community. This version of unreal engine is using the same version as the one Square Enix did to make KH3, with different features to do actions specific to this game. On top of this, I was able to collect assets from FF XV thanks to another person who created a tool to explore and export assets from Final Fantasy XV. As you can see, it's really the effort of multiple people put together, everyone doing something in a modding scene can help others build on top of that or use their work for their future mods.

It's usually not really about modifying the "code", although there can be such things, especially modifying scripts, but most of the time it's using specific tools. I for example don't know anything about programming, I'm more of an "artist" person, and I wouldn't be able to do the things I did without other modders placing the first stones for me to build upon.

Mods are free 99,99% of the time. You have exceptions like when Bethesda tried to push paid mods, but usually the most you will see are people accepting donations from people who want to support a mod, and that's it.

You can have several mods, but once again it really depends on the game, in the early days of tony hawk level modding for example we could only do custom levels by replacing existing ones, so it two custom levels replaced the same one, you wouldn't be able to have both at the same time, but now we can have our own custom list of brand new levels. It's a case by case thing, modding isn't the same on all the games at all, this would be really easy otherwise if there was some kind of universal tool for all games, it's sadly not the case lol.
If no tools were made and you don't have the knowledge to make one yourself, some games can't be modded at all beyond post process things like reshade, if you consider that modding.

About sueing, it rarely go that far but cease and decist letters are very common depending on the project sadly, especially if it's a very big mod that actually end up going into the fan game category. It really depends on the publishers, some are fine with modding and will let you do what you want, Square Enix for example also provided some tools for FF XV on PC too, but some other publishers will be very lame about it, Rockstar for example is trying to stop the mods related to AI NPCs in GTA V these days.

Sorry for the big wall of text :messenger_grinning_sweat: I hope it answers some of your questions.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Love the PC modding community. Actually playing Fallout New Vegas on a old laptop while on vacation, and it's amazing how playable and modern they made the wonky original.

Adding smooth animation, sprinting, hit markers, 3D in-world quest markers, tons of optimization fixes, and cut content based off of code still in the retail release.

They even managed to hack in dynamic shadows:

Or recently, they hacked in realtime reflections:

Kinda crazy, but it immensely helps the games longevity, making it more playable as time goes on, even it's foundation is ancient.

Last edited:

Facism

Miss the days where you could buy a game like Quake/UT and literally have the community pump out a console generation's worth of new single player campaigns and multiplayer modes/games and maps. You get a game like Half-Life that leads to random lads creating GOAT multiplayer shit like Counter Strike and Natural Selection.

What a time to be alive.

I have heard that modders can actually add DLSS into games?
How are they able to do that when it requires training via Nvidia computers?

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's about you paid for your fucking game and you can do whatever you want with it.

They range from little fixes, to tweaks, to extra content, upgraded assets, and even whole new games.

I generally do tiny mods to tweak games I've been playing too much lol. I generally want to play stuff vanilla but I play a game long enough and start getting ideas about how I know better.

Skyrim for example, I like modding it so the day cycle is much longer and night is dark af. Reduce carry weight. Add hunger, thirst, and sleep. And sure, make the tits huge.

R.aa15077c3786f5597e72cf69c58413fd

RagnarokIV

Thanks

I will chirp in with my reason for why mods are the best.

PRESERVATION AND RESTORATION of a game!

Rockstar didn't want to pay the $$ to put the full soundtrack in Vice City? There's a mod for that.

Onimusha: Warlords remastered has a shitty new soundtrack? There's a mod to restore the original.

Same applies to character models, textures etc. in different games.

TrebleShot

I am a console gamer at heart but recently have been feeling the pull of my PC.

Jedi Survivor, a technical mess as vanilla, with a 4090 you'll get down to 40fps in some areas on Koboh (a dense open world section with loads of branching paths and enemies) BUT there is a very cool mod that allows you to implement DLSS3 with Frame Generation which is now giving me 100fps + its not perfect, it can cause artefacts and some weird glitches on the display but all it takes is toggle on and toggle off to fix them.

Returnal, I am not a fan of roguelikes and the restart nature in this game is more annoying to me than fun but the gameplay loop and atmosphere is amazing so there is a mod on nexusmod that allows you to create continuous save states so you can load up a point before you died, tbh these things should be in the game as a separate mode so really appreciated it being there.

Elden Ring, I haven't personally done this one yet but again, I am not a fan of souls like games being overly difficult but I enjoy the gameplay and atmosphere, there is an easy mode mod you can basically play it taking less damage and doing more damage. So I will check it out.

And my personal favourite.

Football games, with the sorry state of football games EAFC24 is utter shit and eFootball is an absolute joke of a game.

Luckily there is a custom made game called Football Life which uses the base of PES21 and has modded it with new realistic graphics and gameplay, basically creating a completely new game and guess what...its FREE

For those who are interested.

Shut0wen

Also, Modding is the reason why this gen will probably be my last gen on consoles. I miss mods too much. The console crowd unfortunately has no idea what they've been missing.
Really? Most mods are shit and quite frankly over rated, dont get me wrong some games are incredible with mods like rimworld, bethesda games before fo4 and valve games but the rest are incredibly restricted because most devs dont give a fuck about the modding community, especially triple A devs

Schmick

ffs an honest question and all I'm seeing is exaggerated images of tits, I'm in a public place and I'm scrolling down with these huge images on my screen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, the easiest way to get into mods is venture into the Steam Workshop. Its really a simple way to mod a game this way.

There's are some games that I would only consider using Steam because Steam tends to provide the most and best mods. For example Cities Skylines 2 and Starfield. I'm a Gamepass subscriber and both those games will be added day 1 but because the mods i'll only consider Steam for those games.

Red5

Depends on the game and the modtools provided. Sometimes they provide a visual overhaul, sometimes a bug fix mod that irons out the bugs left out by the devs, gameplay changes or total conversions.

For example, in Company of Heroes you have a mod that adds the entire Soviet army and German Eastern army groups. Total War series has mods that changes the entire setting to Lord of the Rings.

Witcher 3 Enhanced edition graphics rely on third party mods.

I wouldn't even play vanilla Skyrim, Fallout NV or 4 without the myriad of visual, bugfix and gameplay mods.

darrylgorn

Modding is simply customization.

If you want the easiest entry experience to modding, then play Left 4 Dead and go nuts with Steam workshop.

Top Bottom