• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Far Harbor IOTI Point Lookout 2: Synthetic Boogaloo

lt519

Trophies seemed glitched, bummer, have way more than 20 locations discovered and that hasn't popped, same with the 30 creatures.

This DLC would be sooooooo much better if they just completely took out the
hacking
quest, don't replace it with anything just remove it. I'm playing through it as a new character and having to do this again is such a boring drag, I have no idea who thought this was worth anyone's time.

lt519

How does the 30 creatures work? Does it have to be creatures exclusive to the DLC or what?

Yeah, sea creatures, so I've read. I just wandered around the entire Island, I have 40 locations discovered and have been trolling the watered areas for anglers and have killed at least 30. Still no trophies popping. Also grilled some Hermit Crab meat and that trophy didn't pop (although I'm not sure that counts as a recipe). Seems like they just aren't triggering for some reason in my game. Although I did just get the adventurer magazine one no problem.

The Way Life Should Be quest glitched on me (PS4):
Avery is nowhere to be found in my game so I couldn't confront her about being a synth. Reload and told Allen about the murder, had the doc check the skull, and showed it back to Allen. He calls everyone into the middle of town but then just stands there. Probably needs Avery present to continue it. Reload, talk to DiMA, convince him to turn himself in, everyone once again gathers in town and then it won't progress because still no Avery. The only way I could finish the quest was to keep the murder a secret, which is fine because I wanted the most peaceful solution to everything but I wanted Far Harbor to know the truth and I could pass the speech checks it presents, hopefully still keeping everyone alive. And now all the townspeople are still gathered in Far Harbor despite me finishing everything so the town is useless to me...

OK this is disappointing

Turns out there is no ghoul
whale in the game and you don't go diving underwater with underwater armor

Why tease us with stories of ol peg and ribs
sticking out of the water?

Aurongel

Still really enjoying the mood and experience of it all. I've barely touched the main quest and have just spent my time slowly stalking through the woods stealthily picking off foes. Something about the setting just really clicks for me here which is good because the performance sacrifices taken to get there are... Too steep.

If the next DLC doubles down on the spooky mood like the rumors say then I'll absolutely be day one for that as well. I love a big, giant spooky landscape to hunt through. Dr Zed's Island and Point Lookout are my two favorite DLC's of all time.

Is it me or is the Forbidden Knowledge quest glitched?
As soon as I clear out Acadia, it prompts me to go outside and talk to Mosley, but when I go outside it resets all the non-killable NPCs (like 10 of them!) and I have to KO them again. And some of them don't come outside. Despite the quest marker being in the courtyard, the guy I need talk to never shows up.
Am I missing something?

Mugen08

I really like Far Harbor so far, some very good quests, interesting conversations, scary enemies and tense settings. Despite being lvl. 70 I've been killed on multiple occasions. Finally found an assault rifle that I like and also do some decent dps. Also my old settlement defence strategies are useless here, many enemies completely wrecks it if too weak. Only annoying thing is that I often get popups about my Commonwealth settlements being under attack and falling, would prefer them to be frozen while in Far Harbour. On the other hand maybe it is due to my lazy settlement building from before. Framerate is not great on my 970, will try some of the advise earlier in the thread.

Finished it up last night. Really good stuff. Absolutely loved the ambiance and atmosphere of the Island. The music was just wonderful as well - the night exploration tracks in particular are just phenomenal.
The Fog Gets To You
An Island of Fog

Some of the new enemy designs are cool as hell too.
The Giant Hermit Crab surprised the crap out of me first time I saw it.

I'd put it up there as one of the best Fallout DLCs to date.

Been an amazing DLC.

Really enjoyed it. My play through ended up:
Arcadia
saved
Far Harbor
saved
Children of atom
convinced them to fire nuclear missiles.

The writing and storylines put the main game to shame, and its clear they have learned from the critisim from the main game.

Settlement in north is huge,have barns and concrete buildings and a big 2 story concrete house on the water.

I really dislike the protect the settlement in the DLC, having to repair the demisters rather tgN focus on shooting the enemies has made me put a lot of effort in to a wall...

Morokh

Finished it as well, peaceful ending, it really felt a little underwhelming xD

I pretty much only did the main quest
and all of the CoA quests, replacing Tektus with a synth in the end
, without exploring much, and it definitely seems better than the base game as far as the story, and how you can influence it goes.
I must also be among the only ones that actually enjoyed the memory thing if not for it's length.

Overall very good on that side, but extremely disspointing on others :
New perks are a joke, new legendary effects as well, the new weapons really bring nothing new, and definitely lack in variety and originailty.

The new settlement objects really are underwhelming, and don't mix well if at all with what is already there.

The new creatures on the island are cool especially for the Giant crabby one, but overall the absence of so many iconic ones from the base game makes the place a bit lacking when it comes to variety.

Also, Marine armor seeming like it's only available in legendary form with the pieces you can buy, definitely doesn't make it the best armor in the game if you're looking for a specific effect to complement your build ....

It's been definitely fun to play, but as for what it brings to the game as a whole, it's a mixed bag.

Also, Marine armor seeming like it's only available in legendary form with the pieces you can buy, definitely doesn't make it the best armor in the game if you're looking for a specific effect to complement your build ....

One of
DiMA's memories shows where the armor is and the COA Zealots have it too and you can mod it back to the default skin.

jesu

Can't wait to get stuck in tonight.
A bug means I'm stuck with Ada as my companion.
Another bug means she won't do any fighting.
Other than that, can't wait!

Morokh

One of
DiMA's memories shows where the armor is and the COA Zealots have it too and you can mod it back to the default skin.

I know that you can get plenty of standard marine armor, my problem is that it's not available in the legendary loot table and that the only legendary pieces avilables are the 'Recon' ones.

ezekial45

Banned
Just curious, are there are gameplay overhaul mods in the works yet? I really would like something like Wanderer's Edition/Project Nevada for F4. The shooting and ballistic damage feels way to weird for me (mini-guns are pretty much useless for me as enemies are total sponges). I'm really enjoying the DLC, but the core shooting systems are sapping my enjoyment. I'd love for more realistic changes to made.

Just curious, are there are gameplay overhaul mods in the works yet? I really would like something like Wanderer's Edition/Project Nevada for F4. The shooting and ballistic damage feels way to weird for me (mini-guns are pretty much useless for me as enemies are total sponges). I'm really enjoying the DLC, but the core shooting systems are sapping my enjoyment. I'd love for more realistic changes to made.
Survival apparently does that but of course there isn't toggles and customization and once you turn it on if you turn it off then you can never enable it again because reasons.

Doc_Drop

Enjoyed the DLC and finished it up over the weekend. Two downsides that I experienced were;

- They should have pursued the idea that
you could be a synth. After the conversation with DiMA I thought there was a great angle there
- regarding
DiMA's memories
, I really wanted an angle with
Nick and DiMA, to the point where I went and fetched him to see if there was an interaction
and there was nothing

^^ Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Major spoilers - I would advise not looking unless you've played through the whole thing

I'm really liking the setting, it looks really eerie and at night time with the fog it and the lighting it can be quite spooky. I'm not that far in the story line but considering I got the season pass before the price went up I'm happy.

I'm really liking the setting, it looks really eerie and at night time with the fog it and the lighting it can be quite spooky. I'm not that far in the story line but considering I got the season pass before the price went up I'm happy.

yeah, the fog and everything gives it a nice spooky atmosphere. it's too bad about the framerate.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, the fog and everything gives it a nice spooky atmosphere. it's too bad about the framerate.

The atmosphere is incredible. Day or night, clear-ish mist or thick fog, everything looks so eerie and other-worldly. The sound design is perfect as well, especially when you're on or near the coast, with the tide rushing in and out, and the boats bobbing up and down with their nets and fishing gear creaking and clanking.

I'm a few hours in and loving every minute. I'm level 61 and back in the Commonwealth I had reached a stage of speed and efficiency, clearing areas and collecting loot in minutes. It feels really good to have just slowed everything way down, waaay down...

The framerate seemed a bit iffy when I first started exploring the island, but either it's calmed down or I've just got used to it. Either way, it's not spoiling my enjoyment.

one thing i don't get is how they overlooked the lever action rifle always reloading 5 bullets even if there are already bullets chambered.

one thing i don't get is how they overlooked the lever action rifle always reloading 5 bullets even if there are already bullets chambered.
Its a great gun though. I found a legendary version that shoots two bullets. It does like 240 damage with rifleman maxed. I assume that this is per bullet and having a two shot one means it actually does 480 damage, or is the 240 damage the doubled damaged already?

Also, not sure why people are complaining about the memory hacks. They were super easy and I finished all of them in like 15 minutes.

Lanrutcon

Its a great gun though. I found a legendary version that shoots two bullets. It does like 240 damage with rifleman maxed. I assume that this is per bullet and having a two shot one means it actually does 480 damage, or is the 240 damage the doubled damaged already?

Also, not sure why people are complaining about the memory hacks. They were super easy and I finished all of them in like 15 minutes.

It's 240 with the double factored in.

How two shot works is the second projectile does base damage (the damage a single shot from a completely unupgraded weapon does). So that 240 is your upgraded shot + a base shot.

I just did the quest where you have to find out
what's going on with the synths
. I figure I'm about half-way.

Taking my time and enjoying it so far.

The voice acting is fucking awful

Why are the lines of dialogue clipping

So much emphasis on the first word of a new line breaks immersion for me too

Fuck its bad

Besides that it's a good pack thus far

I presume I have a game breaking glitch.
At the
hacking memory level, the first one, I can get the indexers over to the yellow beam no problem, but they will not return, they just wait there. The sentrys I put there work, but they will not move away. Tried going back a couple of saves, but it won't change anything, they stay stuck.
The shittiest bit is how the room will not reset, probably so you don't have to repeat the whole thing again if you fall off the platform.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
- regarding
DiMA's memories
, I really wanted an angle with
Nick and DiMA, to the point where I went and fetched him to see if there was an interaction
and there was nothing
I introduced Nick to DiMa before retrieving the memories and there was a whole conversation between the three of us about how they might know each other. Then I talked individually to Nick and he had a bunch to discuss about his reaction to the whole thing.

I haven't done the stuff yet about confronting DiMa with my discoveries yet, so not sure what, if anything, comes with them next.

Doc_Drop

I introduced Nick to DiMa before retrieving the memories and there was a whole conversation between the three of us about how they might know each other. Then I talked individually to Nick and he had a bunch to discuss about his reaction to the whole thing.

I haven't done the stuff yet about confronting DiMa with my discoveries yet, so not sure what, if anything, comes with them next.

Interesting. At least there was something, I knew I should have brought him along for my playthrough

Nere

In terms of content and the size of the new landmass how would you compare it with previous Bethesda DLC? like Bloodmoon, Shivering Isles, Dragonborn etc.

Lanrutcon

In terms of content and the size of the new landmass how would you compare it with previous Bethesda DLC? like Bloodmoon, Shivering Isles, Dragonborn etc.

It's got enough landmass to impress, but not enough locations within it. Enemy and location diversity is very low. There are maybe a handful of memorable (distinct?) locations, the rest are Collection of Ruined Homes A through E, Ruined Factory A through C, Ruined Pier A through F, etc. It might be nostalgia talking, but I remember Bloodmoon and Shivering Isles having a lot of locations.

It's not a bad piece of DLC, but it's not great either. Tod Howard said that Far Harbor is the largest expansion (he called it an expansion...yeah) planned for FO4 which is very worrisome.

Top Bottom