• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Far Harbor IOTI Point Lookout 2: Synthetic Boogaloo

I didn't even try the Atom quest line. Walked up and hammered everyone outside, then everyone inside. DiMA wasn't happy but I just did a speech check and he was cool.

Children of Atom is my most hated Fallout faction. Yes, even more than Caesar's Legion.

MattyG

Banned
I didn't even try the Atom quest line. Walked up and hammered everyone outside, then everyone inside. DiMA wasn't happy but I just did a speech check and he was cool.

Children of Atom is my most hated Fallout faction. Yes, even more than Caesar's Legion.
Ohhhhh,
Avery will be even less happy. But she'll be fine immediately after.

Lead

Banned

Why did you do that?

If you actually play the questline there's some indication that their insanity might not be that insane.

Sure you'll have to do some extremist religious stuff, but if god was real wouldn't you do anything for him? :p

Sande

How good are the quests? Do they have meaningful choices and actually interesting stories or are they just drivel to funnel you to the next shootout like in the main game?

I know it's still made by Bethesda but I'm an optimist at heart.

N° 2048

bahaha reminds me the first time I met BoS in Fallout 4 I just blew all their heads off. It was my Railroad playthrough.

Lead

Banned
How good are the quests? Do they have meaningful choices and actually interesting stories or are they just drivel to funnel you to the next shootout like in the main game?

There's several really good quests with well written stories.

Sure there's your go to X, kill B mobs quests as well, but there really are some interesting, maybe (in my opinion) the most interesting quest in the game in this dlc.

The ending also have several ways to be resolved, in fact there's like 5 outcomes that are actually different.

The former believe it or not. There are several quests that have no combat or very little combat at all, most of the storylines are interesting and there's a character that imo is more interesting and well-developed than anyone (at the very least, non-companion) in the main game. Really my only gripe is the performance, there could be a few more perk and SPECIAL checks too I suppose.

Really? That was initially what I was going to do, but I started into the questline a bit and I dunno, I really kinda like these guys. Sure they're all
"please kill the heretic for us"
but other than that they seem pretty chill. I also get the impression there's a
immunity to radiation
perk waiting for me at the end of the questline.

Screens
o8heOCF.jpg

cWCkAB0.jpg

znu6RXy.jpg

The giant hermit crabs drop tiny hermit crabs when they die.

Really? That was initially what I was going to do, but I started into the questline a bit and I dunno, I really kinda like these guys. Sure they're all
"please kill the heretic for us"
but other than that they seem pretty chill. I also get the impression there's a
immunity to radiation
perk waiting for me at the end of the questline.

They're a doomsday cult. I walked up and they were all:

"Blah, Blah, which one of you has sinned?"

"I can assure you it wa--"

*body explodes from super sledge annihilation*

onokopro

Neo Member
Just did the puzzles, last one is the only one that got me to stop and think for a few minutes, overall not that difficult, but yeah, a tad long, not looking forward to do it again in another playthrough xD

ugh, it was awful. Took me almost an hour to go through all of them

These puzzles are beyond awful. I immediately knew it would be unfun garbage the second I saw the settlement building U.I. and of course this being Fallout 4 nothing is explained. I was left wandering around this ugly as sin level scratching my head and wondering if I was actually playing a Fallout game or if I was in some drunk stupor and started playing Portal meets Minecraft.

You can build things, but it doesn't tell you how. It is made of stuff like "code" and "black ice." You are not told what this is. You also can't collect it. My favorite part is how you can tag to search them which does nothing whatsoever. BETTER YET, it is also glitched so it always says you have 0 of something even if you don't.

The second Bethesda steps outside of their formula comfort zone the game turns to dogshit.

lt519

So, uh, I downloaded Far Harbor and I booted up the game and all the dialog is in French? What the hell? Valentines office half the textures didn't even load. On the PS4 has anyone heard of this issue?

Installed patch 1.06 and it fixed itself, really bizarre.

G_Berry

Banned
Man. Was totally gonna skip on this given that I was pretty burnt out after pumping a shit tonne of hours into the base game. Anyone else felt like that but is having fun wth this expansion regardless?

Shadoron

For those of you playing on PC, I figured out the setstage commands to bypass the 5 puzzles. I had a glitch happen on the fourth puzzle, and lost my progress... rather than replay them, I spent the next 40 minutes figuring out the commands. Anyways, here we go:

Preface: I'd recommend following these directions as I've listed them. You might be able to save some time, by inputting *all* the setstage commands in one go. I didn't - I entered each command, dropped out of the console, let the quest update, and then went back into the console to add the next command. I'm posting this from notes I took while figuring everything out. If anything doesn't work properly, I'll check this thread a couple times tonight. I was 100% able to bypass the puzzles and had all quests activate as intended.

Steps:

Activate the terminal, and enter the first puzzle. You will do all setstage commands from the first puzzle. Remember, drop out of console after entering each setstage command. You will see the quest update as you go along.

Type the following setstage commands:

setstage dlc03mq04 105
"" "" 106
"" "" 107
"" "" 108
"" "" 109
"" "" 110
"" "" 150
"" "" 160
"" "" 200
"" "" 250
"" "" 260
"" "" 300
"" "" 350
"" "" 360
"" "" 400
"" "" 450
"" "" 500
"" "" 550

Once this is done, exit out of the puzzle, and immediately activate the terminal again. You will notice that all 5 memory sequences are now "acquired." I'd recommend clicking on each one, so you can hear them. Plus, listening to them will make sure that the sub-quests will also start. I think the first two sub-quests started while I was entering console commands, the third and fifth I had to listen to the memories to get them to activate. The fourth doesn't have a quest attached.

Eusis

If you don't have the season pass I'd just wait for a sale personally instead of buying it for $50, especially since we don't know what else is coming and the performance is kinda borked right now.
I was lucky with GMG having a sale bringing it back to $30, then able to drag it lower via a coupon. Still haven't gotten to DLC content though, but that price alone basically covered this DLC alone at a slight discount, nevermind the rest.

But it is supposed to be $60 worth of content, so that means we have $20 worth of DLC left, so I don't think whatever we get next will be as big as this pending a surprise on their end.

Trigger

The last puzzle glitched on me!
It's stuck at 80% decoded even though all the little things are in the target area. I'm really mad about it, but the prize for completing it doesn't sound particularly worth it anyway.

lt519

Wow the frame rate is just awful. I like the story and atmosphere so far though. I think my character is way to strong for the DLC. Level 51 and I have that ballistic weave mk. 5 for my gear, things have been super easy going so far.

Just completed brain dead. Glitched at the end when I was leaving
vault 118
, the lift kept on going and wouldn't stop. Eventually just reloaded a previous save, and it was ok.
Interesting mission, ended up
getting money off the killer, then killing him anyway
. Also I was quite surprised when I ended up passing a speech check and ended up having
lesbian sex with a robot
. That came out of nowhere.
I always have a targeting HUD on my power armor, so I ruined the surprise of the
crab with the truck for a shell.
I could see glowing in the distance and if brought me over to it, otherwise I would have walked right past it.

Welp wrapped up most of it I don't know how I feel about the ending I got, so end of DLC spoiler below

I convinced Dima to turn himself into the people of Far Harbor and let them judge, I assumed I could pass a speech check to keep him alive but nope, he got shot in the face. I'm glad there was an option to tell Allen to shut the fuck up too, don't know why Allen's so judgey, I literally saw him murder someone on their knees earlier. It was dumb but I kinda liked when the people were starting to get angry and to back me up they listed all the things I had done to help them, I guess if I hadn't done them all (or most) they'd go destroy Arcadia but I'm not sure. I told Kasumi to go home. Now I have to decide what to do about the children of the atom...

MattyG

Banned
Welp wrapped up most of it I don't know how I feel about the ending I got, so end of DLC spoiler below

I convinced Dima to turn himself into the people of Far Harbor and let them judge, I assumed I could pass a speech check to keep him alive but nope, he got shot in the face. I'm glad there was an option to tell Allen to shut the fuck up too, don't know why Allen's so judgey, I literally saw him murder someone on their knees earlier. It was dumb but I kinda liked when the people were starting to get angry and to back me up they listed all the things I had done to help them, I guess if I hadn't done them all (or most) they'd go destroy Arcadia but I'm not sure. I told Kasumi to go home. Now I have to decide what to do about the children of the atom...
This is exactly what happened for me. I wonder if you'll handle the Children the same way I did.

This is exactly what happened for me. I wonder if you'll handle the Children the same way I did.

Unless they can be reasoned with I'm going to nuke those crazy bastards

edit:
Yeah I can't see any way that you keep both alive and complete the quest, tried talking to Tektus but no option to ask him to relax, tried giving him the key and seeing if I could convince him to not use it but he just tells me to go destroy Far Harbor so I guess nuke it is.

just looked it up, I guess you can keep everyone alive if DiMa is alive, welp...

packy34

Unless they can be reasoned with I'm going to nuke those crazy bastards

edit:
Yeah I can't see any way that you keep both alive and complete the quest, tried talking to Tektus but no option to ask him to relax, tried giving him the key and seeing if I could convince him to not use it but he just tells me to go destroy Far Harbor so I guess nuke it is

There is a peaceful ending. You have to do a few slimy things to get it, but it exists.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was lucky with GMG having a sale bringing it back to $30, then able to drag it lower via a coupon. Still haven't gotten to DLC content though, but that price alone basically covered this DLC alone at a slight discount, nevermind the rest.

But it is supposed to be $60 worth of content, so that means we have $20 worth of DLC left, so I don't think whatever we get next will be as big as this pending a surprise on their end.

The season pass may end up worth it for $30 when all is said and done, but so far I am a bit disappointed with what has come out so far. But I very much have a hard time believing that those who pay $50 for the season pass are going to get anything something worth $50, especially when one of the next DLCs is rumored to be another Workshop type DLC.

Far Harbor has 2.5X the price of Point Lookout, but it sure as hell doesn't have 2.5X the content. Its a $15DLC priced as a $25 DLC to make it seem like a better value.

That's not to say that Far Harbor isn't good. It's pretty fantastic actually.

is there a recommended level for this? i'm only 27 rn but i'm also only playing on the default difficulty

will i be completely screwed if i dive in now, or should i hold off for awhile?

Hip Hop

is there a recommended level for this? i'm only 27 rn but i'm also only playing on the default difficulty

will i be completely screwed if i dive in now, or should i hold off for awhile?

I was around your level when I started, a bit below actually and it has been fine for me on regular difficulty. Nothing too hard. Just stay well equipped, especially with Radaway and you should be fine.

Far Harbor has 2.5X the price of Point Lookout, but it sure as hell doesn't have 2.5X the content. Its a $15DLC priced as a $25 DLC to make it seem like a better value.

Yeah that math doesn't add up, $25 is not 2.5x $15.

Personally this DLC has offered way more to explore and do than Point Lookout did, and I really liked point lookout. I've sunk about 20+ hours into this since it released Thursday morning and I'm not even at the end of the story yet. To me that playtime, combined with the new armour, weapons, settlement pieces, and a whole new companion make this worth it.

Anyway, I got two full sets of Marine Armour now, I love the look of it.

Did it really take you guys 20 hours to beat? Or is that a developer's exaggeration/do absolutely everything and find everything mark?

MattyG

Banned
Did it really take you guys 20 hours to beat? Or is that a developer's exaggeration/do absolutely everything and find everything mark?
I think that's the 100% time. I just finished the main quest last night along with quite a few side quests and I'm at about 10 hours. Don't know how much I have left though, seems like I have a lot to explore and discover.

Yo whoever designed the creatures in this game...

Fuck you.....

I was on edge all last night because of a Mirelurk King jumping out of the water like its Deep Blue Sea. Then the Angler creatures lures were right there by it. The Hermit Crab....just no....

I think that's the 100% time. I just finished the main quest last night along with quite a few side quests and I'm at about 10 hours. Don't know how much I have left though, seems like I have a lot to explore and discover.

Thanks. That's what I was expecting and budgeting for.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah that math doesn't add up, $25 is not 2.5x $15.

Well Point Lookout was $10, not $15, so I think that's where the math comes from. I guess JohnnyFootball thinks that Far Harbor has closer to 1.5x worth the content of Point Lookout, and should be priced accordingly.

Well Point Lookout was $10, not $15, so I think that's where the math comes from. I guess JohnnyFootball thinks that Far Harbor has closer to 1.5x worth the content of Point Lookout, and should be priced accordingly.

I'm Canadian, point lookout was most definitely not $10 for us in 2009.

The whole conversation over perceived value for Bethesda DLC is always going to lead into subjective arguments because everyone feels they experienced varying levels of quality.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Point Lookout, relatively, I'd almost say has 'more' locales/locations with something relevant in them, though from an atmosphere standpoint, far harbor beats it handily.

That being said, I honestly don't know if this would stack up to a 25 dollar dlc when comparing it to Bethesda's past work, especially somewhat equivalent content for 10 bucks each.

Don't get me wrong, had a lot of fun with it, but seeing as this + mechanist/trapping
(both of which I'm not interested in at all beyond the initial mechanist quests) are 2/3 (presumably) of the DLC, output-wise, there's been a dip in quality of whats been available, imo.

Also, thank you for posting the skip codes for the memory sequences.

Having finished the dlc, there were definitely some killer moments, but when something's a miss, those moments really fall flat.

I thought
Vault 118
was spectacular. Probably up there as one of my favorites throughout the entire game series. I would have liked the experience to have been a little more fleshed out, like
maybe have another eavesdropping sequence like you can with DiMA
, but it's still a great time. Which also brings up my next point: a lot of the quests were terrific. Really felt more like New Vegas in comparison to Fallout 4's largely lackluster series of sidequests. Hopefully Bethesda continues to take pages out of Obsidian's book.

But those tower defense sequences were absolutely the worst. I got through the first four pretty quickly, but that last one took forever and it really put a damper on my experience for a little while after finishing it. Also, constantly being irradiated is really lame. Im sure some people enjoyed the glowing sea, and I bet there's people who get a kick out of that survivalist type experience, but it largely became annoying. Maybe it wouldn't have been as bad if there weren't so many things trying to kill you, I don't know, but I feel like they took a cool concept and went way overboard with the implementation.

Yo whoever designed the creatures in this game...

Fuck you.....

I was on edge all last night because of a Mirelurk King jumping out of the water like its Deep Blue Sea. Then the Angler creatures lures were right there by it. The Hermit Crab....just no....
Its OK bby ill protect you

Staf

Haven't gotten very far but man, this story is so much better than the main campaign. Not only that, it's told soooo much better. Is this really made by the same people?

Pakoe

For those of you playing on PC, I figured out the setstage commands to bypass the 5 puzzles. I had a glitch happen on the fourth puzzle, and lost my progress... rather than replay them, I spent the next 40 minutes figuring out the commands. Anyways, here we go:

Preface: I'd recommend following these directions as I've listed them. You might be able to save some time, by inputting *all* the setstage commands in one go. I didn't - I entered each command, dropped out of the console, let the quest update, and then went back into the console to add the next command. I'm posting this from notes I took while figuring everything out. If anything doesn't work properly, I'll check this thread a couple times tonight. I was 100% able to bypass the puzzles and had all quests activate as intended.

Steps:

Activate the terminal, and enter the first puzzle. You will do all setstage commands from the first puzzle. Remember, drop out of console after entering each setstage command. You will see the quest update as you go along.

Type the following setstage commands:

setstage dlc03mq04 105
"" "" 106
"" "" 107
"" "" 108
"" "" 109
"" "" 110
"" "" 150
"" "" 160
"" "" 200
"" "" 250
"" "" 260
"" "" 300
"" "" 350
"" "" 360
"" "" 400
"" "" 450
"" "" 500
"" "" 550

Once this is done, exit out of the puzzle, and immediately activate the terminal again. You will notice that all 5 memory sequences are now "acquired." I'd recommend clicking on each one, so you can hear them. Plus, listening to them will make sure that the sub-quests will also start. I think the first two sub-quests started while I was entering console commands, the third and fifth I had to listen to the memories to get them to activate. The fourth doesn't have a quest attached.

Quoting this so i can't find it, if i need it.

Lead

Banned
There is a peaceful ending. You have to do a few slimy things to get it, but it exists.

Spoiler on ending
If you can pass a speech check on Tektus you can have him run away so you don't have to kill anybody. That's the most peaceful solution to the thing as I've found so far. Nobody dies and you replace a lunatic with a synth that strives for peace.

Ah I need to get this over Summer. Felt so underwhelmed by Fallout 4, I hyped it for years and when I got it, it was so much less than I'd been expecting. Might need to give it more of a chance over Summer break.

Top Bottom