• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No interest in that sorry. It doesn't affect the way you play. It's just there since map building is hugely popular. Great for those that like it and thankfully it doesn't have a huge role in the game (hopefully?) but it's not a system that expands on the role playing element.

building settlements that interconnect, grow, have citizens and vendors with exclusive items doesnt expand a role playing element?

18412864_F1gw9.gif

Trace

Banned
No interest in that sorry. It doesn't affect the way you play. It's just there since map building is hugely popular. Great for those that like it and thankfully it doesn't have a huge role in the game (hopefully?) but it's not a system that expands on the role playing element.

LOL. Being able to actually change the geometry of the world and make your own stuff, not a role playing element.

Now I've heard it all.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It really does seem the want FO to become more like GTA/COD hybrid, a sandbox shooter, rather than an RPG.

Community: "The gunplay sucks in Fallout!"
Bethesda improves the gunplay and makes it more interesting.
Community: "Ugh. Bethesda wants this to be another GTA/COD clone!"
Bethesda: "The fuck. . .?!"

Bethesda games are so Jacky, I don't understand their appeal.
Then make like a Radroach and scuttle away

Listened to the Spotify playlist Bethesda uploaded today, and damn they nailed it again with the licensed tracks. They scored Nat King Cole's Orange Coloured Sky, which was used in the New Vegas trailer and got me insanely hyped but was never actually in the game.

sappyday

lol come on

I'm not saying that shit is a direct replacement for Karma but you're being so crazy dismissive toward things like settlements and crafting. And we're not yet sure how the faction reputation system will be implemented.

The town shit does not interest me. Crafting weapon mods does. According to the leaker there is nothing showing a rep system or karma system. Unless Bethesda put that stuff behind the scenes (which I doubt since they love making things simplified) then it's probably not in.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I go to all my Fallout games for the base building aspects.

Why does everyone want every Fallout game to be the exact same. Come on, this is a cool as hell new system, give it a shot. Of course you don't play Fallout games for the base building aspects, this is a NEW SYSTEM that Bethesda implemented for this new version of Fallout, Fallout 4.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

You miss the point... sure the gunplay is improved but did they have to remove the stuff that has nothing to do with gunplay?

So they removed:

- Extensive dialog options
- Proper skill assignment on level up
- Repair
- Reputation system

What else?

1. We don't know this, but it seems like the most valid complaint thus far. Still, a few early-game clunkers doesn't necessarily mean that the game's dialogue is a wreck.

2. Perk ranks function almost identically to skill increases, where substantial changes only came every 25 points.

3 & 4. Repair was an uninteresting upkeep task and karma was largely broken and unrepresentative of the character's large-scale actions (characters who are saintly in quests are still deemed evil for stealing random garbage, bad karma from nuking one town can be buried by giving enough water to random beggars, etc).

Factions would have been nice, but we have no real idea of how they're being handled yet.

Yes, let's not mention all the RPG elements they removed/streamlined out of the game in addition to (supposedly) improving gunplay, because that would render your entire theory null and void.

RevenWolf

Spanish guy said that it's an important part of the game. Luckily that makes me insanely happy :D

Wallach

The town shit does not interest me. Crafting weapon mods does. According to the leaker there is nothing showing a rep system or karma system. Unless Bethesda put that stuff behind the scenes (which I doubt since they love making things simplified) then it's probably not in.

Didn't the same leaker guy say that he had some notification that either his companion or the NPC he was speaking to didn't approve of what he had said, which is why he was looking in the interface for some kind of reputation (and didn't find it)?

Alienous

Community: "The karma system gets in the way of the moral ambiguity of my decisions"
Bethesda removes binary classifications of player actions to allow players to make decisions more freely.
Community: "Ugh, Bethesda's taking another step back."

Why does everyone want every Fallout game to be the exact same. Come on, this is a cool as hell new system, give it a shot. Of course you don't play Fallout games for the base building aspects, this is a NEW SYSTEM that Bethesda implemented for this new version of Fallout, Fallout 4.

I am going to give it a shot and I hope it's cool.

My response was made because of his response to Evilore's comment. It just didn't make sense.

Trace

Banned
Opinions I guess. I think little pop up messages and a pip boy graphic is a much weaker game play element than base building.

I fail to see why it's even considered an alternative. There is more gameplay in base building, defence, and maintaining than there is in all 4 things that were affected by Karma in FO3.

I asked Pete Hines [@DCDeacon] if he has any information about when GMG is going to get keys for delivery. He said that plan is to give keys to GMG around same time as preload goes live on Steam, so I would guess 6th - 7th.

Has the preload time on steam been confirmed?
6th-7th would be ideal.

JaeCryo

Banned
Tinfoilhatsron press A: Sad

Can you predict my response based off that one word?

It's objectively better because what the PC said and what you picked actually matched. If you can't understand this then perhaps you are the perfect auidence for this new dialogue system.

Also Fallout 2 dialogue choices match Fallout 3 huh? Except you know you can SKIP the BS if you were say playing again then? This is somehow worse than newer games? Lol.

Lol.

In trying to point out someone else requiring more hand holding to understand their games you just described how you need sentences in longer more drawn out form for them to be "objectively better." Okay.

And I don't dislike Fallout 2's system. I just don't feel the need to act like a temple was desecrated when dialogue options that are meant to say the same things are whittled down a few syllables. Whether the quality of the actual writing itself is the same between the two games is a different story, but if we're just talking about the idea of having your character's thoughts projected into an option, then I don't think you're quite getting the entire point you think you're making.

I won't even try with that second paragraph.

sappyday

Bethesda employee: "the community doesn't like the guns in the game"
Todd Howard: "Okay let's improve on that but let's take out/not improve on the elements people do like"
Bethesda employee: "You know Todd, New Vegas doe-"
Todd Howard: "NEW WHAT?!?! GET OUT OF HERE"

PS4 supposedly has mods, but we haven't seen official confirmation yet as far as I know. XB1 WILL have mods for sure. PS4 is probably the safer bet if it does get mod support, but given what we've seen so far I can't imagine there is any tangible difference between the two versions. I'd say go with whichever you prefer.

Thank you!

Couldn't disagree more. How is starting your own settlement in the wasteland not an expansion of the role playing element?

From Megaton and Arefu in 3 to Bonnie Springs in New Vegas, these ramshackle communities built from the junk and debris is one of the coolest parts of the worlds

Finally being able to build and maintain your own community in the world absolutely adds to the wasteland survivor fantasy.

Just because you dislike it doesn't mean it's not a role playing addition

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
he'll be back just for that game.

only dreams and sarcasm here, I'm afraid.

uh?

Obsidian missed Fallout New Vegas Metacritic bonus by one point.
Unfortunately for Obsidian, Fallout: New Vegas currently has a Metacritic average of 84, a single point below the average that would've earned the company royalties on its product. "[Fallout: New Vegas] was a straight payment, no royalties, only a bonus if we got an 85+ on Metacritic, which we didn't," Obsidian creative director and co-owner Chris Avellone told one Twitter user.

and I believe they also said they will not work on any game with similar clauses.

Machina

Banned
Guys you forgot about playing retro games on your pipboy, the real meat of the game.

tumblr_nq48huw2we1riwt83o4_r2_540.gif

Presentation means nothing when Dungeon Masters can't add exactly + 4 to their dice roll to decide whether or not you get another dice roll to decide whether you successfully attack something.

Breads

Banned

How the hell do you even know that?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I went and posted in the 20min video thread

giphy.gif

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You miss the point... sure the gunplay is improved but did they have to remove the stuff that has nothing to do with gunplay?

I didn't miss any point. I was responding specifically to someone who said they wanted to turn this into an open world FPS or straight up FPS.

building settlements that interconnect, grow, have citizens and vendors with exclusive items doesnt expand a role playing element?

18412864_F1gw9.gif

Do we know how deep this is?

Not to be so down, but I figured this would be shallower than lead on, with the main emphasis coming from just building, as opposed to the gameplay elements that can come out of it.

Better gunplay doesn't make a better RPG. See Mass Effect.

Shredderi

I feel like this is what most people are thinking without saying it.

It's a Bethesda release.

Whether you like them or dislike them, you definitely don't ignore them. And I feel most people here, even the despondent ones, are going to get a copy at some point, heck I even feel like some of the most negative ones here are the most likely to buy it.

With all their many problems, Bethy's games have a strange magnetic pull which is elevated by their extensive support for mods, and I think this is the one thing the notorious gamebryo engine is good for. I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot and it gets a lot of flack in here now. I enjoyed it more than New Vegas (damn good game tho) because for me the world building in FO3 was better. If they at least manage that in FO4 then I'll propably leave the wasteland happy. I might even look at the game and say "this is fine".

While I do think the visuals could be better even for Bethy, I'm not really worried about that. I know that when I return to this game in late 2016 it will be rendered beatiful by myriads of mods.

Trace

Banned
Do we know how deep this is?

Not to be so down, but I figured this would be shallower than lead on, with the main emphasis coming from just building, as opposed to the gameplay elements that can come out of it.

We know that it is possible to put trading routes between your owned settlements and set companions/named NPCs as the leaders of your settlements. So far pretty much everything that has been shown shows that it is at least a big enough deal to care about.

Trace

Banned
deep breaths. deep breath

Okay, I've been in the dark on this game and am a diehard 3 and Nv fan but:

Are you telling me there is a required "Protect the base" element to this game?

No. It is completely optional to build your settlement and everything related to that.

3 & 4. Repair was an uninteresting upkeep task and karma was largely broken and unrepresentative of the character's large-scale actions (characters who are saintly in quests are still deemed evil for stealing random garbage, bad karma from nuking one town can be buried by giving enough water to random beggars, etc).

Objection, repair worked very well in New Vegas and granted many new options to solve quests.

Wallach

Objection, repair worked very well in New Vegas and granted many new options to solve quests.

I think he's specifically referring to weapon condition and mandatory maintenance. Repair as a skill outside of that context isn't really being lost, as it'll likely get shifted into the modification and robotics perks.

Ricker

''You are carrying too much and cant run"...why are they still doing this,damnit ;) ...oh well.

One week,one more week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom