• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

you could at least pretend to be fair in the slightest and also point out shit they added, like the extensive weapon modding or the player housing / settlement building for example, or improved the gunplay a lot from early reports, which is something everyone shat on FO3 and NV for

and by you, I mean in general, I dont know if you specifically mentioned it

dont touch my VATS pls ;_;

Yeah they have taken away some things I liked but they also added some things I'll like in its place and I think the good outweighs the bad for me personally.

Plasmid

Seriously tho, instead of getting around the tenth time in a US city, a Europe Fallout would be great.

Europe was nuked 20 years before Fallout 3. While it would be cool the canonical material seems to push away from the idea of being able to be in Europe and survive, but i'm sure whoever wanted to could just make up a viable story if they wanted to go there.

Not every negative post is over the top hyperbole, but there have been many examples of this. I've noticed a really unfair rush to negativity regarding this game in the past few days (just in general). Many people are taking any excuse to bash the game, and do it with glee.

People are just now being able to see some of the game now. I think Bethesda has been way too quite. Things start leaking here and there and people waiting desperately for the game were going to react one way or another.

I don't see how there's anything wrong with criticizing what we've seen so far. It's the only bit of information we have.

sappyday

Do people really care about Karma that much? I prefer not having it honestly.

It didn't work before but it could of been improved upon. With this generation they could of easily been able to have the game tell when it would make sense to get negative or positive karma. If not then at the very least the reputation system should of stayed in. The problem here is there is nothing. Removing another element of role playing that a lot of people love. If you didn't care for it you can always ignore it or they could of at least have it be optional.

Aurongel

The problem isn't that they removed mediocre systems. The problem is they didn't replace them with other interesting ones.

This is all based on pre-release hearsay though but if those impressions are true then this game sounds like it struggled through the design phase of development.

Do people really care about Karma that much? I prefer not having it honestly.

The same karma system that people shit on when it was first released? Amazing how bad things become good when it's needed to critique Bethany.

The issue is that instead of expanding and improving on a mechanic, or bringing in something new and better to replace it, they just drop it instead. It's lazy. Just like immortal NPCs are a lazy alternative to actually having good companion AI or letting player choices have consequences.

Fucking really? Hahahaha hahaha now they're shitting on the lore. Holy shit! Way to go, Bethesda.. Wait a second, they already shat on the lore in F3. Nvm, then.
Did you even watch any of the available footage? Power Armor looks just fine. It's just not something you place in your inventory anymore. It's massive, tank like Armor that you can climb in and out of. It has to be powered and can be customized in a similar manner to weapons and armor. It could be argued that that's even more accurate to the lore than being able to pocket the shit and run it indefinitely.
This is one thing I don't think I'll care for. Maybe there are different types of power armor and you can get some that you can always wear.
You can wear your armor into buildings and quests. You just have to keep it powered, and its got advantages and disadvantages that suit a giant suit of armor. And there's tons of parts for customizing Power Armor from the look of it.

I'd rather they try to improve Karma, taking ques from the Rep system if they could, or just bring in the Rep system from NV instead of removing a general reputation system.

but whatever i guess, the brief glimpses of potential were just silly dreams

Does anyone know how Followers/Companions are handled? Is it still ""Come with me." "Ok.""

Well both are suppose to run at 1080p/30fps and looking at the game they should be identical in every way. Won't know for sure unless DF does an analysis but I think they should be close.

I think...and don't quote me on this but both versions are suppose to be getting mod support however X1 will get it first I think?

So my advice, get whichever you want. Either one should be fine.

Okay, thank you!

Alienous

I'd rather they try to improve Karma, taking ques from the Rep system if they could, or just bring in the Rep system from NV instead of removing a general reputation system.

but whatever i guess, the brief glimpses of potential were just silly dreams

Does anyone know how Followers/Companions are handled? Is it still ""Come with me." "Ok.""

All I know, from the little I've seen, is that the protagonist talks to his Companions like
they're his dog. "Get 'em" when asking a Companion to attack an enemy.

I didn't know where else to ask this since that PS4 screenshot thread was locked but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which version of Fallout 4 to get. I have both a PS4 and XBO and my PC isn't adequate so which console version is looking to be the best?

I know that the XBO version is supposed to have some added mod support I think???
And I'm also wondering the performance difference, are they both 1080p 30fps?
Any other pros and cons?

PS4 supposedly has mods, but we haven't seen official confirmation yet as far as I know. XB1 WILL have mods for sure. PS4 is probably the safer bet if it does get mod support, but given what we've seen so far I can't imagine there is any tangible difference between the two versions. I'd say go with whichever you prefer.

I didn't enjoy MGSV enough to play past episode 7 or so, but couldn't the horse not die? That was the only buddy I used but the fact that the horse seemed to always just get back up after some time ruined the immersion. Does the dog constantly just revive itself too?

If they take enough damage they get fultoned out. It takes a lot of damage though.

Did you even watch any of the available footage? Power Armor looks just fine. It's just not something you place in your inventory anymore. It's massive, tank like Armor that you can climb in and out of. It has to be powered and can be customized in a similar manner to weapons and armor. It could be argued that that's even more accurate to the lore than being able to pocket the shit and run it indefinitely.
Yes, I've seen it. That's why I comment.

The power armor in fallout 4 is actually one of the very few good changes to the game imo, i like how it looks a lot

I didn't enjoy MGSV enough to play past episode 7 or so, but couldn't the horse not die? That was the only buddy I used but the fact that the horse seemed to always just get back up after some time ruined the immersion. Does the dog constantly just revive itself too?
Your buddy gets sent back to mother base once they take a certain amount of damage

JaeCryo

Banned
Of course! To tell you the truth, despite my machismo about not buying this if some of the thing I've heard turn out to be true, I will. I mean this is Fallout 4 and I've been waiting for this since 2012 at least. I can't just skip it. I mean sure I'll be disappointed in some things but I'm pretty sure that I must have it.

I feel like this is what most people are thinking without saying it.

It's a Bethesda release.

Whether you like them or dislike them, you definitely don't ignore them. And I feel most people here, even the despondent ones, are going to get a copy at some point, heck I even feel like some of the most negative ones here are the most likely to buy it.

A.Did
B.I
C.Say
D.That?

It's just hilarious to that people are suggesting that an older system of dialogue is objectively better than anything newer, because... because.

I played Fallout 2 for the first time over the summer (got it for $5) and enjoyed it but not because most of the dialogue was all dumped into an initial conversation menu instead of having to rely as heavily on branching dialogue farther from fewer options in the newer games.

And I don't think I'm going to significantly dislike this game either for the opposite reasons.
Tinfoilhatsron press A: Sad

Can you predict my response based off that one word?

It's objectively better because what the PC said and what you picked actually matched. If you can't understand this then perhaps you are the perfect auidence for this new dialogue system.

Also Fallout 2 dialogue choices match Fallout 3 huh? Except you know you can SKIP the BS if you were say playing again then? This is somehow worse than newer games? Lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Karma sucked as implemented in 3. For example, if someone dies (whether by your hand or otherwise, fairly or otherwise) and they aren't flagged as a Bad Person inherently, and you subsequently go to their former home and scavenge their stuff, you get a bad karma ping for every single thing you take. If the game had predetermined thatthey're a Bad Person though, you can do whatever you want. Plus the awful loss of karma sound every time you take those 100 items out of the house in the above scenario.

Faction/location/personal reputation are critical components, though and make perfect sense. Or not...

Bethesda design iteration philosophy seems to be to just remove imperfect features outright, instead of improving them while retaining the depth they offer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What about the mutants? The technology like Pip Boy? Why were the vaults built and do each vaults communicate with each other? How do people live for 100's of years? Also, who are the Brotherhood of Steel and the other evil group...forgot their name?

mutants and other monsters came from the radiation from the bombs. Vaults were built because of the threat of the bombs. Pip Boys are the Fallout universe 1950s smartwatches. People dont live for 100s of years, the whole "I woke up 200 years later" thing is specific to FO4 and nobody knows the deal with it

Brotherhood of Steel, The Enclave and others are various factions that formed along the years after the bombs fell.

d1rtn4p

Wait, assigning skill points on level up is out? That's literally the worst news I've heard yet. One of my favorite things to do in any RPG.

The problem isn't that they removed mediocre systems. The problem is they didn't replace them with other interesting ones.

This is all based on pre-release hearsay though but if those impressions are true then this game sounds like it struggled through the design phase of development.

image.gif

???

Finalow

Obsidian to the rescue, I'm sure they're working on Fallout 4 NewNewVegas and once again fans will be able to enjoy a good Fallout game~

All I know, from the little I've seen, is that the protagonist talks to his Companions like
they're his dog. "Get 'em" when asking a Companion to attack an enemy.

I guess that's an improvement all things considered Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Hope there's more.

If not then man, I don't know. Feels like I'm only in it this time around to build a town and shit. Nothing else seems like to grab me.

Plus the awful loss of karma sound every time you take those 100 items out of the house in the above scenario.

Bethesda design iteration philosophy seems to be to just remove imperfect features outright, instead of improving them while retaining the depth they offer.

turnoffkarmamessagesound.esm

But yes, it seems they'd rather cut than iterate/improve. I don't necessarily hate all the changes, but some of them are a little like:

giphy.gif

sappyday

No interest in that sorry. It doesn't affect the way you play. It's just there since map building is hugely popular. Great for those that like it and thankfully it doesn't have a huge role in the game (hopefully?) but it's not a system that expands on the role playing element.

No interest in that sorry. It doesn't affect the way you play. It's just there since map building is hugely popular. Great for those that like it and thankfully it doesn't have a huge role in the game (hopefully?) but it's not a system that expands on the role playing element.
lol come on

I'm not saying that shit is a direct replacement for Karma but you're being so crazy dismissive toward things like settlements and crafting. And we're not yet sure how the faction reputation system will be implemented.

Ushay

Not sure how to feel about power armour being a temporary power up mode.

I hope they have decent end game armour in this to compensate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom