• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrodium

Banned
Yep, that's Fallout.

Personally, I never though Fallout 3 was a looker even at the time. Oblivion has always been ugly to me, I never got why people thought it looked so good when it came out. Skyrim is the only Bethesda game that impressed me graphically.

I'll probably pick this up a month or two after launch so it can get patched a few times. If people are up in arms now, wait until it looks like this and has all the glitches Bethesda games tend to have at launch.

Nabbis

Animations worse than Skyrim? So much for the "flawless animations" comment from the dude who leaked those first pictures. I have a hard time believing they are worse than Skyrim though. They spent a lot of years on developing this and I just don't believe it will actually have worse animations compared to their previous game on last gen systems.

I don't know if it's worse. But it's pretty bad anyway. Previous gen asscreed has better animation.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This looks just like a Fallout game and that is very upsetting to me for some reason.

Just kidding, it's exactly what I expected and I'm cool with it.

tuxfool

Banned
Well, this is not the old screenshot thread, going in on writing/choices/etc. in response to a post that literally said nothing about it isn't really accomplishing much.

I too have also heard that particular argument used in every Bethesda related thread. It is a crutch to argue against improving the deficiencies of the Bethesda formula.

Machina

Banned
I see dumping useless objects in RPGs matters to people more than good writing or a well designed choices and consequences system

How fucking sad

What the fuck do you mean "useless objects"?? That description could be used for fucking any games items and you choose to use it as a negative descriptor for Bethesda games?

its pretty much exactly like mass effect. If you like that, you'll like this, whatever issues you have with that one you're gonna have with this one.

me personally? i hate it. I hate bioware's dialogue system and I'm really disappointed they adopted their shitty system.

Are there still humorous/mad option (like in Fallout 3), or options depending on your LUCK, etc ?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I'm sure it will crash and have performance bugs. This is a Bethesda game. Having a shadow draw distance as short as it appears in the gameplay, at 30fps with the graphical fidelity the game is pushing, is enough to assume that the game is held together with chewing gum under the hood.
They're probably using the same bizarre shadow implementation as Skyrim, where shadow draw distance was tied to resolution, so you had to choose between sharp shadows that render a few metres ahead of you or blocky shadows that stretch further out.

So much about that engine baffles me.

lazygecko

Those animations..., seriously that's like my biggest " I wish they'd fix that" pet peeve of ALL Bethseda games.

I mean, it's not like they are some super-small limited budget "indie" studio, they are a AAA studio backed by a huge publisher.

So why can they not afford GOOD fluid animation?

Heck, they even talked about buying a mo-cap studio YEARS ago, so make use of it for the actual game animations and not simply movies or cutscenes.

I really wish more studios would be like Naughty Dog in this regard to animation detail.

They do have mocap.

Implementation and execution of it is another thing altogether.

valkyre

It's quite evident that due to the amount of interaction/amount of data that's constantly being tracked that the game would not run well at 60fps on consoles. Considering that the only evidence to the contrary is "yuh huh."

I dont think people here criticize the choice of 30 fps on consoles, rather than the general technical aspect of the game that is nowhere near what it should have been.

People keep finding lame excuses for the lack of decent polishing. Fallout 3 and especially Skyrim were fine looking games when they were released. They looked "next gen". How did they manage offering that then?

Its even more ridiculous claiming that Bethesda has done everything humanly possible considering today's available technology with their engine, citing player interaction as an excuse. Quite absurd actually.

taimoorh

What does lock-picking give you mostly? If it's ammo/ materials, then I can get that from Luck, right?

Also, hacking, do robots follow you around? Or is it hacking to have robots setup a killzone - ala Bioshock?

I'm asking because gotdamn I wanna spend points in Luck and Endurance.

Dat slow-mo NERD RAGE, though!!!

Sanpei

I have a feeling that was the plan then when PS4/ Xbox one sales took off they decided to delay and launch on those consoles. Which would explain why theirs no top end graphics for this.

This...Of course it will not be like this on last gen...But it's not beatiful for this gen also..This is the fact....Seven years passed and now we get this ?
Really Bethesda ?

Look at Witcher, Far Cry 4, GTA 5 etc...I think the gamers deserve a Fallout looking better on this gen...

Who knows when they will release a real nextgen Fallout...

It might look outdated but Bethesda knows that they have gold in their hands.

Why take the time into developing a graphically enriched game when you can update the engine and sell it just as easily.

Can you really despise them for it? It is the best kind of marketing strategy.

I do not feel that I am going to dislike the game by it not having better graphics than The Witcher 3.

RDreamer

I'm really torn on this game. I kind of want to play it, but the videos haven't excited me much. It'd be one thing to have those hanky animations and sub par graphics if I knew the writing was good or the game wouldn't be buggy because of it. But, if we're all going to say "what'd you expect" about bethesda's graphics then I shouldn't expect much for writing or even interesting things to actually do in the game. Oblivion was one of the blandest games I've ever had the misfortune of playing. To this day I have no idea how anyone got any enjoyment out of that. I played Fallout 3 and beat it, though I think the only positive thing about it was the art direction and some of the environmental design was cool. Writing was shitty and Bethesda couldn't make a good character to save their damned lives.

With Fallout 4 I haven't really seen any screens or video that makes me excited like post apocalyptic DC did.

To this day I think the only really good things Bethesda has done is buy someone else's IP and art direction and have the decent idea to set that in DC. Other than that their own stuff hasn't been up to snuff, and that's disappointing. I really want some good post apocalyptic games :(

I do not feel that I am going to dislike the game by it not having better graphics than The Witcher 3.

I'll eat my hat if graphics is the only thing Witcher 3 does better than Fallout 4... The writing in Witcher 3 runs circles around anything Bethesda's ever touched.

What does lock-picking give you mostly? If it's ammo/ materials, then I can get that from Luck, right?

Also, hacking, do robots follow you around? Or is it hacking to have robots setup a killzone - ala Bioshock?

I'm asking because gotdamn I wanna spend points in Luck and Endurance.

Dat slow-mo NERD RAGE, though!!!

Lock picking can give you a lot of things, weapons, armor, skill books ect. Sometimes a door is locked to a building, a whole building!

Hubble

There is a hell a lot of unmarked spoilers in this thread. Please mark or post in a spoiler thread. A lot of people want to participate in Fallout 4 discussion without spoilers.

I dont think people here criticize the choice of 30 fps on consoles, rather than the general technical aspect of the game that is nowhere near what it should have been.

People keep finding lame excuses for the lack of decent polishing. Fallout 3 and especially Skyrim were fine looking games when they were released. They looked "next gen". How did they manage offering that then?

Its even more ridiculous claiming that Bethesda has done everything humanly possible considering today's available technology with their engine, citing player interaction as an excuse. Quite absurd actually.

Yep, even more ironic when all this "interaction" seems even more simplified than Skyrim.
Theres no excuse.
And as I said, I dont really mind this graphics (I dont think they are good, but whatever) as its going to be changed lightning fast by modders.
Is all the rest I have a problem with.

It might look outdated but Bethesda knows that they have gold in their hands.

Why take the time into developing a graphically enriched game when you can update the engine and sell it just as easily.

Can you really despise them for it? It is the best kind of marketing strategy.

Despise them is too strong of a word, but yes, Im not going to talk favourably about it even if they sell 20 millions copies. More sad about so many people being content with utter mediocrity.

tuxfool

Banned
To this day I think the only really good things Bethesda has done is buy someone else's IP and art direction and have the decent idea to set that in DC. Other than that their own stuff hasn't been up to snuff, and that's disappointing. I really want some good post apocalyptic games :(

Some people would argue that Bethesda Fallout is somewhat adjunct to the Original Fallout and that the way they use the license is in name only.

I'll eat my hat if graphics is the only thing Witcher 3 does better than Fallout 4... The writing in Witcher 3 runs circles around anything Bethesda's ever touched.

The writing in the Witcher is some of the best. I don't even think people expect FO4 to approach it. I would be satisfied with just a decent stab at improving on their last gen efforts (I consider that a low bar to climb).

S 1
P 4
E 1
C 8
I 6
A 7
L 1

I may switch this around once we find out how much exp increase we get per point in intelligence.

Sucks that goulish is perk 9 in end.

Trickster

I'm not lying. The locked screenshot thread had some posters refer to using objects and dump it anywhere or at any NPC as their main reason why Betehsda's RPGs are more believable to them

You don't see the problem with that?

I can't speak for whoever you are refeering too. But the thing that Bethesda games offers that is absolutely unparalleled by anyone else in the entirety of videogames, is player freedom.

Compare Skyrim to something like Witcher 3, GTA5, Assassin's Creed or whatever game you want. But Skyrim shits on all of them in terms of what I as the player have the freedom to do. And that to me is more important than that shiniest graphics or bestest shooting mechanics.

Taking a bucket and dumping it on an npc's head seems silly if you look at it in a vacum. But it's simply a silly little example of something that the freedom given to the player allows.

Karl Hawk

Banned
What the fuck do you mean "useless objects"?? That description could be used for fucking any games items and you choose to use it as a negative descriptor for Bethesda games?
Except with Bethesda games, these objects can be used anywhere. You can dump it in a house, or a lake or on some NPC's head.

Frankly, I don't see how that makes Bethesda games any superior. So yes, I see it as a negative

xHiryu

I cannot wait for the mods to roll in and fix most of the issues, graphics and animations will mostly likely get fixed. I do appreciate that this game actually has color and removed the "tint" which plagued the former Fallout games. Gunplay looks improved and that's the one thing that I really desired along with dynamic weather (is there a weather system in this game?).

Seeing as how mods affected Fallout 3 and New Vegas, it'll be crazy to think what the modding community can do with this game. Besides actual gameplay systems, I just hope that this game is optimized and not to performance heavy, specifically let Fallout 4 fully use PC's memory, don't be restricted to only 32-bit.

Disxo

Since I made that post I pretty much decided I'd cut charisma to 1. Strength and luck are shaveable, I'll just scale up luck to better crits at a later level than that and take quality of life stuff like sneak lockpicks and PC defo. Early game though I probably won't desperately need locking and PC however, could book those in for post lvl 10

Charisma would/should start at 1 then you can bump it to 6 later so you can get the Settlement skill. It's seemingly a very shit stat early game from the looks of things.

Also if no silences it's probably gonna be Energy weapon time as well. We'll see.

One really interesting thing I wonder about is if they'll allow respecs.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is the amount of dialogue you get with low cha, because there were some leaks indicating that you would talk less than big boss.

Renekton

Its a really shallow form of freedom though. Yeah, you can pick up every inanimate object, which for the most part is pointless, and you can end up leading every faction, but it doesn't really have any bearing on how your character is treated.
That is calling sandbox freedom shallow. These interactive elements and immediate (sometimes crazy) cause-effect can add a lot to the experience and define your playstyle. There is more self-expression in there, more Roleplaying! :)

The NPC responses to our status changes could be improved though, no disagreement there.

I think it looks great, I also like what they've done with the art direction. If you've never played a Fallout game, I could maybe understand why you'd see these visuals and feel the need to be negative or comment on it. If you know that the visuals are merely a vehicle to experience everything else that Fallout is, good on you, it's almost the 10th!

Karl Hawk

Banned
I can't speak for whoever you are refeering too. But the thing that Bethesda games offers that is absolutely unparalleled by anyone else in the entirety of videogames, is player freedom.

Compare Skyrim to something like Witcher 3, GTA5, Assassin's Creed or whatever game you want. But Skyrim shits on all of them in terms of what I as the player have the freedom to do. And that to me is more important than that shiniest graphics or bestest shooting mechanics.

Taking a bucket and dumping it on an npc's head seems silly if you look at it in a vacum. But it's simply a silly little example of something that the freedom given to the player allows.
Yes, I understand that and it what makes Bethesda games different from other games

But when it comes to RPGs, I'm more invested in the characters, the lore, quests, and the story tidbits. Bethesda doesn't accomplish that for me.

True, but TW3 (or any other game for that matter) still doesn't let you do this:

loot_large.jpg

Bethesda games are a hoarder's dream, whereas in other similar games all the crap you acquire is just text and an icon on an inventory screen.

I wonder what the framerate would be (assuming the game was even playable at THAT point) if you Fus Ro Dah'd the whole pile.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing you have to take into consideration is the amount of dialogue you get with low cha, because there were some leaks indicating that you would talk less than big boss.

OOoo is that true? That'd be pretty cool. Stoic Gunslinger forming up in my head...

lazygecko

That kind of freedom is perhaps amusing to play around with for 10 minutes. Meaningful player freedom in terms of using the game systems and mechanics to interact with the world and affect the outcome of situations has regressed significantly since Morrowind. As a whole, their game worlds are more stale and rigid in that they are not as sandboxy as they used to be and quests and stuff should only be played in the few explicit ways the designers intend. Being able to throw havok enabled buckets around feels like a pretty hollow tradeoff, if that's how you want to frame it.

Perk question:

Idiot Savant LCK 5 You're not foolish! Just different. You randomly receive three times the EXP for any action. The lower your intelligence, the greater the likelihood.

Does this perk mean all actions get 3x EXP or just randomly you will get 3x EXP sometimes?

Santiako

Perk question:

Idiot Savant LCK 5 You're not foolish! Just different. You randomly receive three times the EXP for any action. The lower your intelligence, the greater the likelihood.

Does this perk mean all actions get 3x EXP or just randomly you will get 3x EXP sometimes?

Going by the description, you receive 3x at random sometimes.

zakislam

Asking once more: what does anyone else want to see from Fallout 4 (PS4 code) in particular, apart from these other suggestions from GAF users:

- Conversation with branching dialogue
- Crafting and settlement
- Ending

Disxo

OOoo is that true? That'd be pretty cool. Stoic Gunslinger forming up in my head...
There was a spanish group that leaked some info from a low char character and mentioned a lack of dialogue options, in a game where there are 111K lines of dialogue some people guessed it was because of the stats.
Again, its not confirmed, but it cant be a surprise in a game series where having 1 int has its dialogue consequences.

zakislam

Just asking, but, if anyone wanted to see particular videos from the PS4 version of the game, what do you want to see? What does everyone want to see the most? Just general gameplay or anything in particular...

Renekton

That kind of freedom is perhaps amusing to play around with for 10 minutes. Meaningful player freedom in terms of using the game systems and mechanics to interact with the world and affect the outcome of situations has regressed significantly since Morrowind. As a whole, their game worlds are more stale and rigid in that they are not as sandboxy as they used to be and quests and stuff should only be played in the few explicit ways the designers intend. Being able to throw havok enabled buckets around feels like a pretty hollow tradeoff, if that's how you want to frame it.
I think MGSV set a pretty good standard for AAA. You can complete missions in very creative ways causing things to unfold differently, although most C&E are admittedly localized.

Saying it is "hollow" is underselling its contribution to entire package. Back in Skyrim I would put a complete set of specific book series in my Breezehome shelf, or watching as my virtual argonian waifu stirs a pot. It is really something.

Haha!

ekim

What the general consensus over at the leaked video thread in terms of the actual game (outside of graphics)? I'm on a blackout.

Disxo

Just asking, but, if anyone wanted to see particular videos from the PS4 version of the game, what do you want to see? What does everyone want to see the most? Just general gameplay or anything in particular...
What is the grenade throw button xD

Santiako

There was a spanish group that leaked some info from a low char character and mentioned a lack of dialogue options, in a game where there are 111K lines of dialogue some people guessed it was because of the stats.
Again, its not confirmed, but it cant be a surprise in a game series where having 1 int has its dialogue consequences.

We had a leaker with 4CHA that also mentioned the lack of options and the bad dialogue system, who also mentioned that stats don't affect dialogue choices, only the chance to pass dialogue checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom