• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machina

Banned
I said nothing of equipped weapons.

You're correct that having all the items form your inventory dangling off your body is absurd. That is an abstraction they make for the sake of convenience. Now, consider other objects in the world. If you made a pile of trash somewhere out of buckets? what would be the impact upon the world?

That is a very narrow way of looking at it. Yes you can make a pile of buckets in a street, and that would be completely irrelevant to the world, but who decided to make a pile of buckets? You did. You don't make it if you don't ever think to, you just naturally play the game as it was meant to be played and still see the advantages of items and bits and pieces being tangible in the world.

RDreamer

Witcher 3 writing is like a NaNoWriMo novel. I like the game but whooooo boy. It is trying to hit 50,000 words by December 1st.

I can't believe I live in a world where people are criticizing Witcher 3's writing in a fucking Bethesda thread. Holy shit. If Witcher 3 is NaNoWriMo level, then anything Bethesda touches is a lazy 10 year old just trying to hand something in for his homework he just couldn't give a fuck about.

anigif_enhanced-30750-1433322451-16.gif

i dont get it

Witcher 3 writing is like a NaNoWriMo novel. I like the game but whooooo boy. It is trying to hit 50,000 words by December 1st.
Witcher 3's writing is shit. I fall asleep playing this shitty game with terrible story and ballet dancing sword fights. Fallout 3's story is about 5 billion times better than this Assassin's Creed wannabe where you spend the whole game connecting dots on your map and talking with single dimensional characters that have no personalities whatsoever.

I can't believe I live in a world where people are criticizing Witcher 3's writing in a fucking Bethesda thread. Holy shit. If Witcher 3 is NaNoWriMo level, then anything Bethesda touches is a lazy 10 year old just trying to hand something in for his homework he just couldn't give a fuck about.

This.

Witcher's writing was amazing as far as I am concerned.

Really disappointed to hear about the dialogue criticisms in Fallout 4, dialogue in an rpg game can really make or break it when it comes to world building and immersiveness :(

Yes, you live in such a world.

You should know by now how weird people are :p

Karl Hawk

Banned
Witcher 3's writing is shit. I fall asleep playing this shitty game with terrible story and ballet dancing sword fights. Fallout 3's story is about 5 billion times better than this Assassin's Creed wannabe where you spend the whole game connecting dots on your map and talking with single dimensional characters that have no personalities whatsoever.

Ah, here you are. Haven't you had enough of White knighting Bethesda?

aravuus

Your mod-avoiding skills are unparalleled

It shows that even a 50 years old game has more map interactivity than Witcher 3. I have to say I laughed because its so true.

Hahaha

I have to admit some of these posts are actually pretty funny

RDreamer

iPjU6Hp.jpg

Am I missing some sarcasm or something?

I mean I realize different strokes for different folks, and I can see why people might even like Fallout 3 more than Witcher 3, but come on.

Renekton

Bethesda writing isn't amazing agreed, but I object to W3 being the shining example here.

For example, Bloody Baron is quite scatterbrained with different subplots that don't mesh coherently, while maintaining very flimsy link to main plotline.

i dont get it

In early Tomb Raider games, you could explore Lara's mansion and her butler would follow her around carrying a tray of food or something. In that GIF, Lara slammed the door on the poor old guy and you see parts of him clipping through it.

I think if you tried to shoot him, he would deflect the bullets with his tray.

tuxfool

Banned
That is a very narrow way of looking at it. Yes you can make a pile of buckets in a street, and that would be completely irrelevant to the world, but who decided to make a pile of buckets? You did. You don't make it if you don't ever think to, you just naturally play the game as it was meant to be played and still see the advantages of items and bits and pieces being tangible in the world.

As I said it is nice to have, provided that they don't skimp on other areas. People have used the existence of this stuff as an excuse to not improve on the other areas of Bethesda games.

For example, if having the ability to dump objects in the street is the reason why they haven't changed their engine in years then I clearly think priorities are wrong.

Tovarisc

oh so i can't get perks in the beginning? ok thanks, time to plan my build :)

Yep. At start of the game you only customize your appearance and decide SPECIAL spread. By using that chart look up perks you would like to pick up as you level up and start planning SPECIAL points accordingly. First perk can be unlocked when you get first level up.

GavinUK86

giphy.gif

tuxfool

Banned
iPjU6Hp.jpg

I mean I realize different strokes for different folks, and I can see why people might even like Fallout 3 more than Witcher 3, but come on.

That one you can safely ignore. Enjoy those posts for what they are.

Your mod-avoiding skills are unparalleled

Hahaha

I have to admit some of these posts are actually pretty funny
Tinfoil hat says that it is a mod trolling us. The account did show up during Halloween.

aravuus

Kinda glad you can't pick perks with the initial 21 points. I'm gonna waste enough time allocating the points as it is lol

I should really come up with a build beforehand, I think. Don't want to spend the first 60 minutes of FO4 coming up with a good one.

N° 2048

Every other Fallout 4 thread is a disaster. Thanks so much for keeping it chill here.

Sticking in here until the OT lol

Machina

Banned
As I said it is nice to have, provided that they don't skimp on other areas. People have used the existence of this stuff as an excuse to not improve on the other areas of Bethesda games.

For example, if having the ability to dump objects in the street is the reason why they haven't changed their engine in years then I clearly think priorities are wrong.

Yeah fine, but has it been proven that a world that looks as graphically good as Witcher can handle the sort of stuff that Skyrim can do without serious performance issues?

The line here is clearly one side values these unique virtues of Bethesda's games and the other half just couldn't care less. This can only end in an agree to disagree situation but good luck with that on GAF. I just find it interesting that Obsidian got away with using the exact same engine just because they happened to have better writers. Modding that game to make it visually decent seemed to be welcomed, where here it is an argument to criticize.

This.

Witcher's writing was amazing as far as I am concerned.

Really disappointed to hear about the dialogue criticisms in Fallout 4, dialogue in an rpg game can really make or break it when it comes to world building and immersiveness :(

Ballet dancing 3 with batman has about as much immersion as the plumber who jumps on mushrooms with eyes and shoots fireballs out of his hands.

Bl@de

How much better is it than the story of Fallout 1/2?

Karl Hawk

Banned
Bethesda writing isn't amazing agreed, but I object to W3 being the shining example here.

For example, Bloody Baron is quite scatterbrained with different subplots that don't mesh coherently, while maintaining very flimsy link to main plotline.
I can argue about how the Bloody Baron and it's subplots mesh with each other just fine and how it is relevant to the main quest

But that's another topic for another time

RK9039

G7X8

Every other Fallout 4 thread is a disaster. Thanks so much for keeping it chill here.

Sticking in here until the OT lol

This is how it goes for every new game these days, there is always a bastion thread of hype with reasonable posters and then 3-4 hate threads out there every couple days and it gets worse and worse closer to launch. I was a bigger fan of OTs going up a week early but whatever.

tuxfool

Banned
The line here is clearly one side values these unique virtues of Bethesda's games and the other half just couldn't care less. This can only end in an agree to disagree situation but good luck with that on GAF. I just find it interesting that Obsidian got away with using the exact same engine just because they happened to have better writers. Modding that game to make it visually decent seemed to be welcomed, where here it is an argument to criticize.

That is precisely why I like NV. Bethesda doesn't get a pass on bad writing and consequence when using this engine, because Obsidian proved that both can be true.

K' Dash

http://i.imgur.com/iPjU6Hp.jpg[img]

I mean I realize different strokes for different folks, and I can see why people might even like Fallout 3 more than Witcher 3, but come on.[/QUOTE]

Nah, just a salty 12 year old.

I haven't seen any of the videos, is there any REAL critiscism that is not graphics?

kvn

You are golden, Sir.

dawid

The game will probably be awesome. But it has to be the worst looking AAA-game this generation. You get the feeling that development at one point got shifted from the last generation of consoles to the current one.

Machina

Banned
That is precisely why I like NV.

Yeah sure great, I love it too, but try and play that game vanilla. It's impossible. It looks hideous. Obsidian made the modders work necessary.

And yet it's okay for them because they have Chris Avellone? They could have told Bethesda they weren't interested in making it unless it was brought up to standard visually yet they didn't, because they saw the tools that Bethesda provided them and knew they could still make a great game out of it.

rjinaz

This is how it goes for every new game these days, there is always a bastion thread of hype with reasonable posters and then 3-4 hate threads out there every couple days and it gets worse and worse closer to launch. I was a bigger fan of OTs going up a week early but whatever.

Well hopefully soon. Some will be playing this game on the 8th thanks to VPNs. Hopefully we'll get the ok to start the OT then.

I can't help but shake a bad feeling about this. I'm sure it'll be alright...but I'm just waiting for the mainstream opinion to shit on this for being "more of the same." It DOES look like more of the same...and not in a good way. It seriously looks like a last gen game ported onto the new consoles, game mechanics and all. The super mutants even have the same voice samples for Christ's sake.

I'm just thinking about my brother who is not a big gamer but for whatever reason played and loved the hell out of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. He has a PS4 and maybe 2 games for it...he's been waiting very patiently for this game and I can just tell that he's going to boot it up wanting to be wowed by it and be pretty severely disappointed. The hardcore Fallout fans will probably be ok, but the broader audience of these games will probably feel short-changed. We've been spoiled this year already by MGSV and Witcher 3 (though I have my own qualms with Witcher). I'm getting the sinking feeling that the industry has evolved pretty dramatically beyond the Bethesda model in the time of this games development.

Jebusman

Banned
Ballet dancing 3 with batman has about as much immersion as the plumber who jumps on mushrooms with eyes and shoots fireballs out of his hands.

Just a simple request, could you come up with some more unique insults than "ballet dancing?" I mean if you're going to shit post, at least be inventive with it.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just a wanderer, I roam around around around around around around around around around around around around around around around around around around.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah sure great, I love it too, but try and play that game vanilla. It's impossible. It looks hideous. Obsidian made the modders work necessary.

And yet it's okay for them because they have Chris Avellone?

That and the way Bethesda Softworks generally screwed them over. The general crappiness that the game shipped in is less damning in that light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom