• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it look terrible? No.

Are there any open-world RPGs that look better on PS4? Yes.

I expect this to be rock solid 30 fps with literally zero performance bugs. You have billions of dollars Bethesda, an old-ass engine that you know inside out and powerful PC-like systems in the form of PS4 and XBone.

The game cannot crash. It simply cannot.

image.php

shibbs

Asking once more: what does anyone else want to see from Fallout 4 (PS4 code) in particular, apart from these other suggestions from GAF users:

- Conversation with branching dialogue
- Crafting and settlement
- Ending

Just some wandering/shooting/looting :)

Disxo

We had a leaker with 4CHA that also mentioned the lack of options and the bad dialogue system, who also mentioned that stats don't affect dialogue choices, only the chance to pass dialogue checks.

Sh**... thats worrysome, I expected the first assumption to be true.

Machina

Banned
Except with Bethesda games, these objects can be used anywhere. You can dump it in a house, or a lake or on some NPC's head.

Frankly, I don't see how that makes Bethesda games any superior. So yes, I see it as a negative

You're basically underplaying Skyrim for being more open ended than other games like it like The Witcher. Yes, every object of note in this world has its own weight and existence. It doesn't just become apart of the texture work after you drop it on the ground or suddenly a giant greatsword fits in a tiny sack like in Witcher. That is kind of why Fallout and Elder Scrolls are some of the most beloved games in the industry and the sales numbers prove me right.

You can have whatever opinion you like at the end of the day, but the numbers say you are a minority.

You just need to wait until they mod in the Nuka Cola Pip-Boy 2500.

I wish consoles were able to use the pipgirl character:(

Most probably don't know where it originated>_>

Luckily by time I get around to this there will be more info about Charisma and I'll know whether or not it'll be useful

KaoteK

As tempting as watching this is, I'm skipping it. Been on media blackout for months, and I'm not going to ruin it now.

KevinG

Just gave in and watched what looked to be Xbox One footage. I'm even more hyped. Reading through bits of GAF's reactions and Reddit's, I presumed my hype would die.

Nope. Still stupid excited.

Just gave in and watched what looked to be Xbox One footage. I'm even more hyped. Reading through bits of GAF's reactions and Reddit's, I presumed my hype would die.

Nope. Still stupid excited.

Agreed, while some of it does look rather bland I couldn't help but get excited. Can't wait for Tuesday, I doubt the PS4 version will look much better but I hope it runs alright.

Johndoey

Banned
I'm really torn on this game. I kind of want to play it, but the videos haven't excited me much. It'd be one thing to have those hanky animations and sub par graphics if I knew the writing was good or the game wouldn't be buggy because of it. But, if we're all going to say "what'd you expect" about bethesda's graphics then I shouldn't expect much for writing or even interesting things to actually do in the game. Oblivion was one of the blandest games I've ever had the misfortune of playing. To this day I have no idea how anyone got any enjoyment out of that. I played Fallout 3 and beat it, though I think the only positive thing about it was the art direction and some of the environmental design was cool. Writing was shitty and Bethesda couldn't make a good character to save their damned lives.

With Fallout 4 I haven't really seen any screens or video that makes me excited like post apocalyptic DC did.

To this day I think the only really good things Bethesda has done is buy someone else's IP and art direction and have the decent idea to set that in DC. Other than that their own stuff hasn't been up to snuff, and that's disappointing. I really want some good post apocalyptic games :(

I'll eat my hat if graphics is the only thing Witcher 3 does better than Fallout 4... The writing in Witcher 3 runs circles around anything Bethesda's ever touched.

I don't think anyone will argue with you on that front.

KevinG

Agreed, while some of it does look rather bland I couldn't help but get excited. Can't wait for Tuesday, I doubt the PS4 version will look much better but I hope it runs alright.

My guess would be that the PS4 version runs exactly the same as Xbox One.

Trickster

I've never played fallout games yet I enjoyed bioshock.will I enjoy fallout 4?

Best way to answer your question would be to know if you enjoy exploration and open world games.

If you can say yes to those two, then odds are very high that you will love it

Spazznid

Are people saying the only good fallout game bethesda did was 3?that's the fucking only fallout game they made ffs. The fact that they focused on gameplay and systems more than visuals is one of my favorite things. Let the mods deal in the visuals, give us a solid base. Game will be fantastic and people who don't own it have no legs to stand on when criticizing it.

Machina

Banned
Are people saying the only good fallout game bethesda did was 3?that's the fucking only fallout game they made ffs. The fact that they focused on gameplay and systems more than visuals is one of my favorite things. Let the mods deal in the visuals, give us a solid base. Game will be fantastic and people who don't own it have no legs to stand on when criticizing it.

GAF is notorious for judging games it hasn't yet played. personally I'd rather rely on all of my senses to judge whether a game is good instead of just two of them.

Have you honestly played a Bethesda game since about 2004?

Trickster

GAF is notorious for judging games it hasn't yet played. personally I'd rather rely on all of my senses to judge whether a game is good instead of just two of them.

Only thing I'm worried about is the changes to dialogue system.

Other than that I expect FO4 will be just as fantastic as their previous games.

So outside of graphical glitches has there been any reported bugs in the game so far? I'm not watching any of the videos so really just curious at this point at how broken it will be (if at all, just assuming so because... you know, Bethesda).

tuxfool

Banned
You're basically underplaying Skyrim for being more open ended than other games like it like The Witcher. Yes, every object of note in this world has its own weight and existence. It doesn't just become apart of the texture work after you drop it on the ground or suddenly a giant greatsword fits in a tiny sack like in Witcher. That is kind of why Fallout and Elder Scrolls are some of the most beloved games in the industry and the sales numbers prove me right.

You can have whatever opinion you like at the end of the day, but the numbers say you are a minority.

This is a reductive argument. One has to wonder how much of the player base spends significant amounts of time playing with the world junk (useful or not) and whether it really matters that much.

That greatsword you're using in your example disappears into your inventory along with another x number of greatswords, nowhere to be seen on your character model.

The simple fact is that games use abstractions where necessary to focus on different things. The fact that you can make a tower of greatswords in the middle of the street matters little to other systems in the world. Mechanically, they're no different to a bunch of leather sacks strewn about the world.

aravuus

Finally got to watch the videos and, like most have said, yep, looks like Fallout. Gunplay definitely looks improved, and I really like the looting system, how you don't have to go an actually OPEN every single container to see what they hold inside.

Third person view is surprisingly good too, might even use it when I'm out in the open. FP 100% of the time when inside buildings, tho.

Wish it was the 10th already. And wish I had more free time.

What the fuck do you mean "useless objects"?? That description could be used for fucking any games items and you choose to use it as a negative descriptor for Bethesda games?

Lmao

Coll1der

Banned
You're basically underplaying Skyrim for being more open ended than other games like it like The Witcher.

I know it's a hyperbole, but it's like calling Minecraft a roleplaying game. Sandbox and RPGs don't go well hand in hand together because sandbox implies a lack of real consequence for player's actions, "the freedom to do whatever you like", while a good RPG enforces consequences even to smallest decisions, because the world is not a sandbox and is reactive, the reaction being defined by the role that you play.

Machina

Banned
This is a reductive argument. One has to wonder how much of the player base spends significant amounts of time playing with the world junk and whether it really matters that much.

That greatsword you're using in your example disappears into your inventory along with another x number of greatswords, nowhere to be seen on your character model.

The simple fact is that games use abstractions where necessary to focus on different things. The fact that you can make a tower of greatswords in the middle of the street matters little to other systems in the world. Mechanically, they're no different to a bunch of leather sacks strewn about the world.

I'm sorry but that bolded it just incorrect. Your EQUIPPED weapons are very much visible on your character model in Bethesda games, down to the arrow quiver. They're tangible in every way that makes sense without being absurd. I don't want 50 weapons dangling from various parts of my characters body, and I'd rather a weapon actually fit within the realms of physics as much as possible in an RPG. Immersion is paramount in RPGs.

if I'm sneaking through a Bandits hideout and my character accidentally bumps a side table that has bottles of ale and other items actually sitting on it, with weight and physics, I want those items to fall off and cause noise, because that causes me to have a little "Oh shit!" panic moment even though it probably won't alert anyone anyway. You can't have situations like that in Witcher. You just can't. In that way it's almost more linear than Bethesda games. You only ever experience what the developer designed for you to see, and not those micro moments that are completely accidental by virtue of the world being made to be a natural sandbox.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm sorry but that bolded it just incorrect. Your EQUIPPED weapons are very much visible on your character model in Bethesda games, down to the arrow quiver. They're tangible in every way that makes sense without being absurd. I don't want 50 weapons dangling from various parts of my characters body, and I'd rather a weapon actually fit within the realms of physics as much as possible in an RPG. Immersion is paramount in RPGs.

I said nothing of equipped weapons.

You're correct that having all the items form your inventory dangling off your body is absurd. That is an abstraction they make for the sake of convenience. Now, consider other objects in the world. If you made a pile of trash somewhere out of buckets? what would be the impact upon the world?

Plenty of games add clutter to the world, and I agree that it adds to immersion. Where I disagree is on their importance to the rest of the game and the absolute necessity to treat everything in the world as an entity of importance.

Karl Hawk

Banned
The dialogue / charisma is a bit worrisome, everything else looks good though.

he is implying the complete opposite.

I'd say, he meant the opposite.

Welp, guess I misunderstood his post. >_<

What? No. The Witcher 3 has some of the best writing in gaming. Bethesda's games have some of the worst.. or at least I guess the most bland writing in gaming.

My apologies. I misunderstood what you said in that post >_<

Hopeford

Personally, I like the graphics. They have a style that I find pretty charming and that I think fits the series pretty well. I'm quite happy with them!

Now to ponder my eternal question: 660ti or PS4, which will run the game better?

(I imagine my answer will be c) "Neither, get a goddamn 970 already" but I'm waiting for Black Friday for that.

When Dog Man On Fire appeared I just started humming MGS V's soundtrack.

Spazznid

Have you honestly played a Bethesda game since about 2004?

I thought fallout 3was fantastic. Apparently, according to sales, others agreed. Then I thought skyrim was easy GOTY contender and it remains one of if not the single most played single player game on steam every day, years after release. Remind me again of how I'm wrong, because a lot of people seem to enjoy bethesda games post 2004...

Renekton

This is a reductive argument. One has to wonder how much of the player base spends significant amounts of time playing with the world junk and whether it really matters that much.

It does seem like you are taking "dumping items on floor" in very literal sense to downplay TES's more freeform approach to RPG.

What he meant is you can fuckabout more within the game world, which adds to the experience.

Breads

Banned
Please dont tell me you are implying that Bethesda of all developers out there, with the amount of resources available to them, have maxed out the potential of their engine and due to the amount of interaction involved in Fallout, they just cant do anything better at the moment...

Yeah - that's kind of what I'm saying and I would be shocked if they kept this engine going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom