• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - Multiple E3 Gameplay Demos, Releasing November 10th, 2015

MattyG

Banned
Yep, noticed that too. Preston Garvey and several lines from the leaked script were shown exactly as written during the Microsoft conference.
I almost feel like that was an intentional wink at all the people who latched on to that leak. That was the only semi-solid info we had for the longest time, and they had to have known that.

Nuke Soda

Or just wear the Power Armour if you don't like the other HUD!

D4RixhH.png

Metal better blare from my headphones whenever I put that suit on.

McBryBry

Two things:

1) It kinda bugs me how the power armor turned him into Mr. Invincible until the Deathclaw knocked a quarter of his health off. I get that it's power armor, but i dunno about that.

2) From some images I saw on r/fallout, apparently they spotted the BoS logo for the Midwest division, meaning we might not be dealing with Good Guy DC Brotherhood here.

Helscream

Banned
I am not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I am curious if anyone else shares my concern.

I think a vast majority of us can agree Bethesda makes great games (The Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout 3). That's not the concern.

My question is how damn buggy will Fallout 4 be? I was under the impression that Fallout 4 would be running on ID Tech 6 (or something) so I felt a bit of relief thinking they put behind the Gamebyro (Creation Engine) behind them. Then I read something about John Carmack saying that ID Tech 5/6 would not work well in open world games. Which I guess explains why Fallout 4 is using a upgrade version of the Creation Engine thus raising my concern for another buggy experience.

Now granted that a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game is on such a large scale that the probability of bugs occurring are granted. It could also be said that due to hardware limitations of last gen (and architecture in the case of the PS3) the probability of bugs occurring increase. Yet you still had serious issues on PC. The only relief being is that you could work your way out of buggy problems with console commands.

I don't have the slightest doubt Fallout 4 will be a great game. I am just curious as to how long I will have to wait before its playable.

MattyG

Banned
Two things:

1) It kinda bugs me how the power armor turned him into Mr. Invincible until the Deathclaw knocked a quarter of his health off. I get that it's power armor, but i dunno about that.
Power Armor seems like it's going to be a much more limited use item this time. I don't think you'll be wearing it and playing Mr. Invincible as much as you could in 3.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I am not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I am curious if anyone else shares my concern.

I think a vast majority of us can agree Bethesda makes great games (The Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout 3). That's not the concern.

My question is how damn buggy will Fallout 4 be? I was under the impression that Fallout 4 would be running on ID Tech 6 (or something) so I felt a bit of relief thinking they put behind the Gamebyro (Creation Engine) behind them. Then I read something about John Carmack saying that ID Tech 5/6 would not work well in open world games. Which I guess explains why Fallout 4 is using a upgrade version of the Creation Engine thus raising my concern for another buggy experience.

Now granted that a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game is on such a large scale that the probability of bugs occurring are granted. It could also be said that due to hardware limitations of last gen (and architecture in the case of the PS3) the probability of bugs occurring increase. Yet you still had serious issues on PC. The only relief being is that you could work your way out of buggy problems with console commands.

I don't have the slightest doubt Fallout 4 will be a great game. I am just curious as to how long I will have to wait before its playable.

Well, define "playable." Every Bethesda/Obsidian game has been playable. All of them have had bugs, to be sure. But then again, so has every single open-world RPG ever created. The Witcher 3, currently the top dog in the genre, is buggy. Morrowind came out a decade ago and it's still buggy. The nature of expansive, branching RPGs is that they'll always have bugs. It's impossible for them not to.

My advice? Buy it on PC (if you can) and then at least you won't have to wait on official patches to get around bugs.

Two things:

2) From some images I saw on r/fallout, apparently they spotted the BoS logo for the Midwest division, meaning we might not be dealing with Good Guy DC Brotherhood here.

It's been a longtime since we had the "good" BoS.

So sick of BoS. I never liked that part of FO3 where you had to ally yourself with them. There is no true free-will choice in that game, unlike New Vegas.

I'll gladly kill them and take their armor in FO4.

Fjordson

Man I've watched the fuck shit up montage like four times lol. What a great song choice. Kinda hope it makes it onto the radio track list.

Never had any major problems with any Bethesda game (or New Vegas) on 360 tbh. I'd be surprised if there's any massive problems on the level of like the crazy PS3 memory leak in Skyrim. Or whatever the issue was on PS3.

If you're talking weird little glitches and shit then there's a 100% chance those will be in the game. But that's part of the fun.

Honestly though, if you're truly worried then just don't get it at launch. Even though I think FO 4 will be fine, buying games at launch is sadly somewhat of a crapshoot these days.

Seanspeed

Banned

It'll be buggy no matter what.

I'd guess the bugs are more to do with the crazy scale of its 'openness'(which goes beyond just having an explorable map) and its persistent nature than specifically being engine-related.

If Ihad to hazard a guess I'd say the mods will work similarly to how steam workshop works. I expect a lot of character model swaps and stuff using existing assets

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is armor crafting and modification for all armor or just power armor?

Dunno. I don't think we'll be crafting armor like we do weapons, but since the game now supports armor/clothes layering and we have control over left/right arm/leg slots we'll have a lot more freedom to customize things. But maybe we'll be able to actually craft those specific items using different materials and designs. That would be pretty crazy. Power Armor I feel is more likely to have greater crafting options since it's more limited, thus easier to control, plus they totally revamped that aspect.

I think they have a panel for tomorrow and an interview today. So hopefully they give some details on that and other things in one of those.

Morokh

Is armor crafting and modification for all armor or just power armor?

So far we know you can customize Power armor like that, and there was a hint of 'layered' armor (armor pieces for every limb pretty much) that might or might not be limited to the vault-suit.

We'll have to wait for more details to be sure.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I have to say, after watching that I was speechless. So much so that as much as I wanted to post in here, I couldn't find the words.

The heft and customization added to power armor and weapons. The unrestricted dialogue options. The character customization. The seeming death animation for deathclaws. The combat. The slowed down V.A.T.S. replacement for a total pause. The humor. The pre war bits.

Fuck it, everything about it was 10/10 stellar for me. I am even fine with admitting that Bethesda's intentions with the series border more on a re-imaginging of the Fallout world than a continuation, which after watching that footage I support fully.

Killzig

Two things:

The ship is named Prydwyn (King Arthur's ship) it looks like

I think it's more likely this blimp belongs to Arthur Maxson.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Arthur_Maxson

Squire Arthur Maxson is the last descendant of John Maxson in the year 2277. Maxson and his ancestors are the founders and traditional leaders of the Brotherhood of Steel.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I hope we get an answer/elaboration on the Skill/Perk situation.

We know there isn't a Skill section in the PipBoy anymore, but they definitely still seem to exist in some way, so it's not likely they're gone. Simply they could have changed the layout to be more like Skyrim's skill trees. So we still might have points in them 1-100, just they will be tied more into how our Perks are acquired and in the Perk list. This is supported the most by the fact that there is a dedicated button for the Perk Chart, possibly shown below in the second image from the initial reveal trailer.

We also saw the Perks poster in the initial trailer. There are 70 perks in total it seems from this and on the top row are the 7 SPECIAL attributes, while the left most column is too blurry to see. It's not clear if each column of Perks is associated with the SPECIAL they are under or to the left most column. I first thought the left column could be the Skills themselves, but there are only 10 and it's pretty certain there will be 13 Skills again due to the new gameplay showing the Vault Boy bobble head display has 20 slots in total; 7 for SPECIAL and 13 for Skills.

If they do create Skyrim like setup for FO4 and there 70 Perks in total, that would mean there are 5-6 perks per Skill. This though may also presents the issue of DLC since every DLC for FO3 and NV added in several perks so I wonder how that would work in this hypothetical new system. As well as just the passive perks you can acquire from certain actions within the story and achievements in the game.

Wolfe

Why does look like a ps3 game? And what's up with the cheer for female character customization? That should be something that's normal, not an additional feature.

Yay hyperbole, no it doesn't look like a PS3 game, I still play on PS3 and even just the shitty videos of Fallout 4 already look better than something like GTAV on PS3 in my opinion.

Have we seen the same game?

It doesnt look good. And the outdated animations...

Sure the animations aren't top tier but compared to Fallout3/NV? This game looks amazing, definitely looks like a current gen Fallout.

Well, define "playable." Every Bethesda/Obsidian game has been playable. All of them have had bugs, to be sure. But then again, so has every single open-world RPG ever created. The Witcher 3, currently the top dog in the genre, is buggy. Morrowind came out a decade ago and it's still buggy. The nature of expansive, branching RPGs is that they'll always have bugs. It's impossible for them not to.

My advice? Buy it on PC (if you can) and then at least you won't have to wait on official patches to get around bugs.

Not true, Skyrim was released on PS3 as unplayable beyond 20 hours or so.

It's just as well that XB1 has more mod support because NOBODY should buy a Bethesda day 1 release on a playstation console.

Kamina777

Banned
Yay white guy voice on my definitely not going to be white character.

There is no evidence that different ethnicities speak in a certain voice so what is a white voice for you? What is an Asian voice?

Try to see things from the posters perspective, he'll be playing the 3rd game in a series where you didn't have to hear your character, which you created from scratch to essentially be you.

You gotta admit it is kind of a jarring to find the silent protagonist that sounded like you in your head 2 games ago , has suddenly become a pretty typical sounding white action hero, especially when you're you're a line backer sized "brother" from Bed Stuy with all the tonal inflections and verbal traits of an african american from that area!

This kind of thing shows why Saints row, despite its faults, is still one of the most progressive games when it comes to character choice..they don't have to have any options for voices, but they did, for both sexes even.

I do also think its too soon to Count fallout 4 out as far as voice options, they may have multiple voices. That would be good.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Do you guys think there is any risk with ordering the PC collector's edition a little later? Say in a couple weeks.

Call it irrational paranoia. I want it so badly but I can't afford it at the moment. I don't remember how well Bethesda keeps stock with this stuff usually.

jacobeid

Banned
This will probably be the game that gets me to upgrade my 7850. Or if I find out that Batman runs worse than the PS4 version next week....

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Some people are reporting Codsworth is also a companion, but I can't find an official statement on that. Wouldn't be all that surprising he is out robot butler.

WorldStar

Banned
Do you guys think there is any risk with ordering the PC collector's edition a little later? Say in a couple weeks.

Call it irrational paranoia. I want it so badly but I can't afford it at the moment. I don't remember how well Bethesda keeps stock with this stuff usually.

aren't most the pre-orders already sold out?

best buy, amazon, gamestop, etc.

where are you still seeing them available?

I'm playing the original fallout, and I know dogmeat and every other companion I pick up are just meatshields and they are ready and willing to lay their lives on the line so I can live.
laugh.gif

i hope its like new vegas where you have an option to turn on and off perma death for companions. i understand some like it but i don't, especially on my first playthrough. maybe on my 3rd ill play with it on but not my first. never used companions in 3 cause i didn't want them to die.

Staf

Fingers crossed for short loading times. Because i know from experience with modern Bioware games that i'm gonna reload a lot with an dialogue system like that.

Top Bottom