• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Vire

When did everyone turn into Derrick on gaming side? Holy shit at the amount of bellyaching... The game looks significantly better than Fallout 3 both artistically and technically.

Are there elements that could be better? Sure, but it seems strange to compare a game where you can interact with every object in the world, pick up buckets and put them on people's heads and let's say... The Witcher where the amount of interactivity involves igniting a candle on and off.

The constant negativity about literally everything is draining.

Regarding that leak from last year...

I have no idea why studios are still investing money into last gen ports. Doesn't sound like this will affect the current versions, but it's strange how long publishers have clung on to them.

Azlan

Definitely liking the more colorful palette of this game after Fallout 3. Also, it is cool to see so many Boston locales just in the 3 minute trailer. Hard for me to get jazzed about another open world game while still playing Witcher 3, which fleshes out open worlds so well, but I look forward to seeing more.

You do realize there are performance tradeoffs right? Look up draw calls in relation to performance.

A Bethesda game has a massive amount of draw calls because almost every object is dynamic (meaning it is not baked into the environment thus saving draw calls).

Every single mesh that can be moved is a draw call and if they don't use texture atlasing then you can say that every single mesh is 2 draw calls (mesh and material). But wait then you have to add shadows which, depending on the method can add at least 1 more draw call.

So lets say they use texture atlasing for all the small objects. That still means that there are at least 2 draw calls per movable object. Remember that just about everything in the game can be moved (everything that isn't is likely batched into one big mesh to save on draw calls when possible).

Walk into a house in FO:NV and you might find 50 objects you can mess with. Thats at bare minimum 100 but more than likely closer to 200 draw calls, then you have to take into account the draw calls the house itself and all the non movable objects that are not batched. The UI itself is probable 3 or more draw calls.

Beyond that you also have the character and weapon (likely 10 draw calls) and any enemies which would be 4-10 draw calls each. Add into that the draw calls from outside the house which depending on LOD distance can balloon out into 2000+ easy if there is grass and trees.

Culling can help with some of the draw calls but it has its own performance cost.

Now with all of this we still haven't gotten to post processing, Textures sizes, AI, scripting, physics (Beth games have dynamic physics which eats the CPU like nothing), and the lighting engine.

Are there multiple lights in the house casting multiple shadows? Whelp if there are then you can go ahead and double your shadow draw calls.

Do you not see how a Beth style game balloons out into a performance nightmare?

How do other games look so good (Witcher 3)?

Well they use a hell of a lot of static assets that can be batched (combined in both mesh and texture) to vastly limit draw calls which allows them to have better "graphics". Ever notice how almost all loot in the witcher games is found in chests? Well, that is another way to limit draw calls, keeping dynamic objects off the map (lower draw calls, lower physics budget, ect).

People need to educate themselves on how games are made before they start frothing at the mouth over OMG bad graphics. Not every game has the same base, or even the same goals.

Great post. The complete lack of understanding of how this stuff works is a real problem when it comes to making parsing a thread a pleasant experience. The mythology of the PS4 also plays a part, but that's an entirely different issue.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
apparently there was a reddit leak on the game last year. A lot of what was posted is matching up with what we have seen so far.

the leaker states she used to work for Bethesda and was fired hence the revenge leak.

This would all be lovely if not for the Male only MC.

Oh come ON.

theyre still pretty similar still imo, just the new one is more colorful for some reason

i never complained about the graphics of the first one and is till think it looks great today

i was expected FO4 to have a dramatic shift to realism, something along the lines of this:

arma2oa2013011900511294.jpg

if someone could photoshop a mirelurk or a deathclaw in the background itd be great

rezn0r

apparently there was a reddit leak on the game last year. A lot of what was posted is matching up with what we have seen so far.

the leaker states she used to work for Bethesda and was fired hence the revenge leak.

I remember reading this back then and getting really pumped... thanks for posting, I love that release schedule listed...

-griffy-

Banned
Cuz it came out super early in the generation, before there was a ton of big name games to compare it to like we have now.

Oblivion aged super quick. Morrowind was one of the best looking games I'd ever seen when it came out. Oblvion was impressive and then within a year it looked dated. Fallout 3 looked fine. When Skyrim came out I said something like "This game looks great but also kind of looks bad at the same time."

It's been a long time since their tech was on the cutting edge at the time of release. Fallout 4 looks good. It doesn't look outstanding, but it's clearly the best looking game they've put out at this point, which is fine. Their art design continues to incrementally improve with each release. It's a Bethesda game. We know it'll look fine, and at times really good even with the engine/design limitations. We'll all put like 100 hours into it, then mods will come out making it look like the best fucking thing ever holy shit and we'll put another 100 hours into it. At least.

RoKKeR

When did everyone turn into Derrick on gaming side? Holy shit at the amount of bellyaching... The game looks significantly better than Fallout 3 both artistically and technically.

Are there elements that could be better? Sure, but it seems strange to compare a game where you can interact with every object in the world, pick up buckets and put them on people's heads and let's say... The Witcher where the amount of interactivity involves igniting a candle on and off.

The constant negativity about literally everything is draining.
Could not have said it better myself.

Yeah but once the novelty of blowing a bunch of objects around the room with a grenade/dragon shout wears off, what's the point of having every cup and fork be dynamic? Is it really worth having that trade-off?

Yes. It's one of the best things about Elder Scrolls and Fallout that you can interact with a lot of stuff. You'd rather have everything be a static set piece?

Blobbers

For me, Fallout 4 looks like a next-gen Bethesda game.

Why some of you people expected cream of the crop graphics that would rival CDPR games is beyond me. Skyrim and Fallout weren't great lookers last gen.
It's just not how Bethesda rolls.

The precedent was set. You chose to ignore it to chase your own unrealistic dreams. That's on you, not Bethesda.

Drazgul

This would all be lovely if not for the Male only MC.

It would be an odd shift from one of the things Bethesda games are known for - being able to make your own character how you like it. If anything, I would've expected more options (let me jump into a Vat of Goo and turn into a ghoul plz), not less.

theyre still pretty similar still imo, just the new one is more colorful for some reason

i never complained about the graphics of the first one and is till think it looks great today

i was expected FO4 to have a dramatic shift to realism, something along the lines of this:

I'm so glad they didn't go this realistic route route. I'd rather have F4 level of detail in the environments combined with its art style/colour palette than this.

ekim

Looked through the source code of the page and there is a Survivial Guide coming to the page as well as there is large scope a Simulation Feature with media attached to it. (Simulation-Hero, More-Simulations, etc) In this regard, there is also coming a mobile app it seems:

Code:
 <h4 class="more-simulations-feature-heading"><span class="more-simulations-feature-series-title">{{header-text}} </span>{{name-text}}</h4>
                        <p class="more-simulations-copy-text">{{description-text}}</p>
                        <div class="more-simulations-buttons">
                            {{#if ios-url}}
                                <a href="{{ios-url}}" class="standard-btn standard-btn-dark [B]ios-download-btn download-button [/B]more-simulations-btn"><span class="download-btn-icon apple-icon-sm icon"></span><span class="download-btn-text">iOS</span></a>
                            {{/if}}
                            {{#if android-url}}
                            <a href="{{android-url}}" class="standard-btn standard-btn-dark [B]android-download-btn download-button[/B] more-simulations-btn"><span class="download-btn-icon android-icon-sm icon"></span><span class="download-btn-text">Android</span></a>

p3tran

Banned
so, people complain when they get served some cgi. and people complain when they get served some real in-game footage.
ok

RPGCrazied

I'm hoping holiday 2015 for release. I have nothing other than XCX on Wii U, so I'll have plenty of time for this. I hope to hear some CE news at E3. I need it.

cripterion

Cannot wait for someone to try lecturing Durante on draw calls. I almost want MS to cancel DX12 just so we can all move past this latest 'I heard it on the internet so it must be true' technical knowledge.

It's Gamebryo, it will always be Gamebryo. It's not war that never changes, it's Bethesda's engine.

696.gif

Red Hood

Banned
WHY NOT FALLOUT 4 LIKE DRIVECLUB GRDFX

WHY NOT FALLOUT 4 LIKE MORROWIND GRFX-- Oh wait.

Like, I'm not even sure why people are still discussing this. It looks very sub-part in terms of graphics in general (not including the great colourful pallet) and unless it's twice the size of, for example, The Witcher 3 that held them back, there's no reason why it looks like it does in this trailer.

Does that mean I'm any less excited? Absolutely not, I can't fucking wait. But stop it with the "it looks great", because it doesn't.

Panda Rin

I like the new color palette. I just reinstalled New Vegas with the filter off. Looks heaps better in my eyes, but it's a personal preference for some.

tuxfool

Banned

Why some of you people expected cream of the crop graphics that would rival CDPR games is beyond me. Skyrim and Fallout weren't great lookers last gen.

The precedent was set. You chose to ignore it to chase your own unrealistic dreams. That's on you, not Bethesda.

All well and good. Some people aren't expecting the best thing in the world. Just things nearly all games do like AA and AO.

so, people complain when they get served some cgi. and people complain when they get served some real in-game footage.
ok

People aren't upset that they showed how the game actually looks.

They're upset that how the game actually looks, is of low graphical fidelity.

A perfectly valid concern.

ironcreed

Banned

I actually still think Skyrim looks nice on the 360, so this will more than suffice. I love what we have seen.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yeah but once the novelty of blowing a bunch of objects around the room with a grenade/dragon shout wears off, what's the point of having every cup and fork be dynamic? Is it really worth having that trade-off?

Ask Bethesda that? They are making the game they want to the best way they know how. If that doesn't apply to your tastes then there are other games you might like out there.

partyboy

Yes. It's one of the best things about Elder Scrolls and Fallout that you can interact with a lot of stuff. You'd rather have everything be a static set piece?

One of the best things about Elder Scrolls and Fallout is that there's a bunch of junk lying around you can pick up or knock off shelves? I disagree and would be perfectly happy without any of that if it's responsible for draining so much performance as is being implied.

stufte

WHY NOT FALLOUT 4 LIKE MORROWIND GRFX-- Oh wait.

Like, I'm not even sure why people are still discussing this. It looks very sub-part in terms of graphics in general (not including the great colourful pallet) and unless it's twice the size of, for example, The Witcher 3 that held them back, there's no reason why it looks like it does in this trailer.

Does that mean I'm any less excited? Absolutely not, I can't fucking wait. But stop it with the "it looks great", because it doesn't.

But... it does look great.

Akuosa

Sometimes I am quite happy with how technically deficient my eyes are compared to my fellow esteemed GAF members.

I think it looks great.

But I am the kind of guy who would call Bloodborne's graphic as incredible so hahaha.
This. I'm so happy I don't have to feel "meh" about the graphics I hope
war
my eyes never change.

Etnos

Banned
I said I expect improvements between titles, and yes there is improvement between F3 and F4, my issue is that it is not enough of an improvement given how long they've had to develop the game as well as where the bar for graphical fidelity lies this gen.

What metrics are you using to come out with that statement to being with... o.0
You do realise "enough improvement" is purely opinion based right? It may be more than enough for some, if not actually most.

You're angry that I'm dissatisfied with bad graphics coming out in a modern game, but I'm the one being unreasonable here.

What makes you think I'm mad?

Plenty of "modern" games (I suppose you mean recent) have 2d visuals, or low visual fidelity... I suppose we shouldn't be playing them? I mean they not being "modern" enough I suppose?

Braag

I'm quite disappointed that they're using Gamebryo again as those screenshots are a little underwhelming graphically. But hey, it's more fallout.

Top Bottom