• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT| Atom Bomb Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall Paul

Finally got into this last night, just got up to returning to sanctuary after first mission, started playing on Main TV, then other half wanted to watch tv so streamed to SP3, back onto main tv later on, gaming in the digital age, gotta love it. Hope to put a few more hours in tonight, but so far, impressed, can see the building part being addictive, may set up around that rocket garage place.

gossi

Bethesda may not be great storytellers, but they nail little details like that so well. Like in Skyrim when Jarl Balgruuf sends soldiers to Riverwood, you can follow them as they make their trek all the way to Riverwood and post up there.

There is a quest later on in the game where you have to meet some characters in South Boston, from where you start (near Vault 111). You can fast travel there (it's the other side of the map), but I walked with them the whole way, clearing the road with them and hearing their banter.

Tall Paul

How does the Xbox One fare? I'm double dipping so I can play this holiday season at my parent's
No real issues ive noticed yet mate, im ruining it off an external 1TB WD hard-drive, happy with what im seeing at the mo, no noticeable slow down but im only few hours in.

Ruff

Might be a spoilery question, but should I worry about building a wall around my settlement? I feel like it's going to get invaded at some point and bad things will happen if I don't take ages doing that.

I wasn't able to find this! Can anyone offer some more specific help about the
authorized personnel-only terminal in the Satellite dish place?

If it's the place I think you're talking about,
I found the code in the room with the Legendary Radroach.

At the power suit station. Don't know the exact button prompt but you have to park your power suit next to it and press the action button while facing the power station. in the menu there is a button for repairing.

Thanks, I'll give it another look tonight.

Icefire1424

Question as my copy doesn't arrive until later today (and I'm stuck at work). Is there a Hardcore mode available in F4? I've been a bit out of the loop but haven't seen anything on that yet. Apologies if someone asked this already.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
After finally playing for a while I think the graphics (XO here) are actually really quite nice. I was playing next to my mate who was playing BLOPS3 and kept noticing how nice the lighting and atmosphere effects are in F4. Also, the game kicks ass. Playing on very hard and there are certain places I just can't go yet because I'll get my shit wrecked. Reminds me of Morrowind in a way, and that makes me happy. Haven't even left the top corner of the map yet either.

MrS

Banned
Question as my copy doesn't arrive until later today (and I'm stuck at work). Is there a Hardcore mode available in F4? I've been a bit out of the loop but haven't seen anything on that yet. Apologies if someone asked this already.
The "Survival" difficulty is available from the start

LkPr

Anyone done a settlement defense yet in Sanctuary? I'm trying to figure out my settlement and i'm not sure if all the raiders etc attack from once location (the bridge) or if I need to build defenses all around the town (like on the pathway leading up to the Vault).

Alpende

Anyone done a settlement defense yet in Sanctuary? I'm trying to figure out my settlement and i'm not sure if all the raiders etc attack from once location (the bridge) or if I need to build defenses all around the town (like on the pathway leading up to the Vault).

Another poster on here said they only come via the bridge. Haven't been attacked yet so I'm not sure.

So, where are the vendors? (pre diamond city).
I've only encountered 3 so far, 2 in the diner and 1 traveling merchant that also hang out in sanctuary. If counting the overseer in the greenyard, it would be 4.

Hedrush

No worries.

Being a bit of an old dude, I was completely non-plussed about this thing called Minecraft that the kids love, couldn't get my head around it.

After a bit of time in the building in FO4, I can sorta see the attraction......

Heh, im bit of an old dude myself and Im really enjoying the building part also. I was pleasantly surprised when i found out I could do this, and now to add my doorways.

Chitown B

I totally didn't understand how the leveling grid worked until level 8. Sigh. I kept putting perks into the main row thinking it would unlock the stuff below once it was maxed. So I wasted some perks just getting everything leveled higher. Oh well.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
also anyone know a good place to find food? Like stuff I can use for planting crops in settlements? I haven't found any after a good while of playing.

Icefire1424

The "Survival" difficulty is available from the start

Gotcha, thanks man. So looks like it increases health of mobs and increases the rate of legendary creatures, but doesn't have the sleep / eat / drink requirements of Hardcore mode from Vegas. Still, better chance of epic loot, so that's something.

Considering starting out at Survival. I want a game where I really have to work hard to not die.

Lakitu

st5fu
also anyone know a good place to find food? Like stuff I can use for planting crops in settlements? I haven't found any after a good while of playing.

I just get them exploring, you harvest things plants. Not unlike Skyrim.

Also there are some farms near Sanctuary you can get some Tato from.

ogbg

I struggled with that too at first. Ended up finding some at an other settlement and basically stole it from under their noses without any complaints

aravuus

I'm a bit bummed I couldn't contain my hype and wait for some mods to fix the things I dislike about the game. It's been a solid experience so far, pretty fun, but it could be a LOT of fun.

is it me or if you skip dialogue your character goes "mhmm" or "right" as if to hurry them? would be a funny touch

Yeah. It's the one thing I genuinely like about the dialogue.

"Please help us! My daughter's been kid-"
"uh-uh"
"We'll all die if you don't-"
"cool"
"You have to he-"
"nah"

Pilgrimzero

I just get them exploring, you harvest things plants. Not unlike Skyrim.

Also there are some farms near Sanctuary you can get some Tato from.

I've found plants like wild nutrition I can take but can't plant for some reason. But when I harvest already planted gardens I can plant those.

How do you get armor for Dogmeat? I was watching a stream last night where the guys Dogmeat had a bunch of armor, looked badass.

I killed attack dogs that was wearing armor and transferred it to dogmeat. After you transfer hit the "equip" button to have your companion equip it

Bethesda may not be great storytellers, but they nail little details like that so well. Like in Skyrim when Jarl Balgruuf sends soldiers to Riverwood, you can follow them as they make their trek all the way to Riverwood and post up there.

If Bethesda and Obsidian collaborated to make an open world RPG it would result in an absolutely fantastic game. All of the strengths and none of the weaknesses of both developers. Also, I'm starting to think the dialogue system was a terrible idea. Why change something that just works? I can't roleplay like I used to in Skyrim for instance. All those cool quest mods for Skyrim will also be really tough to do now with a voiced protagonist.

I feel like Fallout is one of the few games that doesn't have to be great in order to be great.

All the Fallout games have been flawed despite what some folks like to remember. Lot of imbalanced game mechanics, perk balance all over the place, difficulty/combat encounters were all over the place. They are often sloppy games that just are still fun.

Fallout 2 was a huge mess of a game at launch, major bugs galore that needed several patches to fix, and even then bunch of glitches still remain to this day in the game. The game balance in FO2 was one of the worst in the series, tons of moments where suddenly you could get killed in one shot by a lucky crit, or some stupid AI would do something like wipe out half your party with friendly fire crit. Random encounters that were essentially instant death... hope you saved!

Kamina777

Banned
This, coupled with the massive reduction in player determination (Mass Effect dialog, no skill points, being able to add to SPECIAL, ~90% predefined character, etc) makes this game not an RPG. Not to me at least. Its more like Far Cry 3/4 with branching dialog. Its a shooter with a skill tree, not an RPG shooter.

I disagree, completely, you're being extremely reductionist about this game for whatever reason, it does its job despite the streamlining.

You can only really shoot in farcry 3 and mass effect 3, you don't have to in this game if you build your character for other methods of mayhem, farcry and mass effect funnel you to a high degree toward one direction and gate your progress as a character behind that.. i have reached level 9 and have not met Preston Garvey and have 2 Legendary enemies under my belt and a buttload of set pieces and quests that I could have tackled a number of ways with my setup.

Its true this entry has its hiccups where purists are concerned, but its doing well for a reason, and that aint because its mass effect or far cry, its actually a good rpg.

aravuus

Just noticed you can actually scroll text on the computers if there's a lot of it!

Of course, it doesn't matter cause the text cuts off at the bottom anyway. Fun.

knitoe

At lvl10, I killed a Legendary Festering Bloatfly. Only took me about 25 sneak shots from my 42 dam laser rifle. For the effort, it dropped a shitty 10 dam Incendiary Pipe Sub Machine Gun. Doesn't seem right. Are weapon drops randomized base on your lvl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom