• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT| Atom Bomb Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayMay

Banned
I feel like I've been playing the game wrong. When exactly should I wear and not wear the power armor? Is it something I should be wearing all the time, or only in tough situations?

Whenever you like, there's no right or wrong.

I usually put it on if I know that where I'm going Ill face a tough challenge. Sometimes I run away from big enemies and come back in my power armor lol

I feel like I've been playing the game wrong. When exactly should I wear and not wear the power armor? Is it something I should be wearing all the time, or only in tough situations?

There is no playing it 'wrong'. If you want to wear Power Armor, wear it. I played the first half of the game without it, only using it when I knew I was going up against some really heavy hitters. Started to use it more and more as the game progressed and I found better suits and upgraded them.

Arjen

I found a dude I've been reading a lot about at terminals in a certain place. That was such a cool moment.
I'll spoiler the name.
Arlen Glass from the toy factory

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and "done"
not done
at 95 hours, level 59, 130 something quests done. not bad. Now to check those places I didnt go to... because I still want to play it, wtf.

Going to save dipping my toes into building for the weekend when Im off work. For now, lets check Dunwich Borers for example which I hear its good

Anyone else run into this problem? I found a set of power aemour, equipped it, and now my character can only walk, as if he's over encumbered.

I did set the carry weight to 9001 via console, well before getting into the armour. I wonder if it's related to that...

johnsmith

remember me
Anyone else run into this problem? I found a set of power aemour, equipped it, and now my character can only walk, as if he's over encumbered.

I did set the carry weight to 9001 via console, well before getting into the armour. I wonder if it's related to that...
Does it have a fusion core that still has a charge on it?

Too bad that it has one of the worst possible mechanism for placing things I've ever seen. But yeah, I also tried to build up a sweet shack of mine.

I agree the placement system is stupidly finicky, but it's so fun to build my 3-story shack mansion.
I already spent 2 hours cleaning up debris around Sanctuary and arranging various dining rooms juuuust right.

ckohler

I saw this on Reddit.

0Tl7ymA.jpg

I feel like my settlements in Fallout 4 is what it's like to have children. No matter how much time I spend there or how many resources I expend, I will never get them to 100% Happiness.

DMTripper

I'm no expert but I think I've read that the carry weight console command resets when you get in and out of power armour.

Fjordson

I have stupid question for y'all.

Why are headshots in VATS so inaccurate? Even with a good gun (highly modded Righteous Authority) at moderate distance, I'll have like a 95% chance to hit when aiming at the torso, but a headshot is only maybe 30%. Is there a perk or something somewhere that I'm missing?

Maybe it's always been like this even in New Vegas and 3 and I'm just forgetting, but I feel like I was a lot more accurate in those games.

nOoblet16

The scale of everything in 4 blows away all those tiny locations in the past Fallouts. Boston itself is bigger than almost all the other "cities" combined from other games. Megaton is far smaller than Diamond City alone, with so many quests in it too.

The major difference I can only see is the lack of variety since so much of the game was put in a huge recreation of the city of Boston instead or a bunch of small settlements like in past fallouts. Even New Vegas is tiny location.
If you read my post again... I

1) compare Megaton to Good Neighbourhood, not Diamond city.
2) mentioned Rivet City which has more stuff than Diamond City.
3) mentioned how even though Megaton is small it had more quests associated with it than the bigger Siamond City.
4) am not talking about scale.
5) don't really care if Boston is bigger than both map in previous games combined when almost 90% of the stuff is concentrated in the lower right corner of the map.

And again...I was never talking about the size but rather the uniqueness and the quests.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So every single place can show as "cleared" on the map? because I swear I clear some places and they don't say "cleared" :(

In Skyrim there were a lot of places that couldn't show up as cleared, so I doubt they all can here.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I have stupid question for y'all.

Why are headshots in VATS so inaccurate? Even with a good gun (highly modded Righteous Authority) at moderate distance, I'll have like a 95% chance to hit when aiming at the torso, but a headshot is only maybe 30%. Is there a perk or something somewhere that I'm missing?

Maybe it's always been like this even in New Vegas and 3 and I'm just forgetting, but I feel like I was a lot more accurate in those games.

Have you ever tried to shoot a moving target in the head in real life? I haven't, but I imagine it's a lot harder than trying to aim for their torso... Heads are really small targets, relative to the rest of a human body.

Anyways. there's a companion perk that increases your hit% of headshots
..................Macready
, also the perception trait Sniper level 3 gives scoped rifles a significant bonus to headshot accuracy in VATS.

Alucrid

Banned
Where's that one trading post? Not Diamond city or Goodneighbor, there was another one I visited but completely forgot where.

Also, what shop sells ceramic?

Raxus

Where's that one trading post? Not Diamond city or Goodneighbor, there was another one I visited but completely forgot where.

Also, what shop sells ceramic?

Covenant? Vault 81? Dunno where you can find ceramic but it is an easy resource to get. Breakdown broken toilets and coffee mugs/bowls.

Alucrid

Banned
Covenant? Dunno where you can find ceramic but it is an easy resource to get. Breakdown broken toilets and coffee mugs/bowls.

Nah I don't think that's it, it was inside some white marble building

Oh, yeah, I just want to buy it in the 25 pack since it's easy. been abusing it for aluminum

Ardenyal

I still think people are taking the pipe weapons and going "Ugh, this gunplay is terrible." I have a .308 Combat Rifle with reflex sights that is basically a laser beam. Then the Righteous Authority with Reflex Sights and long barrel feels amazing. The starting weapons are piss poor with the exception of the 10mm pistols you can find.

When talking about bad gunplay I dont think people mean the actual guns.

The aim assist on consoles is just plain bad. You can't track a target moving parallel to you because the aim assist will slow down your cursor when you get close to the target, making it impossible to catch up with the target.

The animations and AI also play into the feel of gunplay. Missing shots because of jerky animations or derpy AI behaviour will sour some people (enemies often do random 180s when running one direction and turn on a dime). Also having your aim messed up because of the way the terrain bumps you and enemies up and down when walking around.

The hit boxes are really inconsistent. Sometimes it feels like enemies can shoot through the tiniest cracks and you struggle with bullets hitting corners when there is clearly 10 inches between the corner and where you "hit".

Maybesew

Can someone explain the companion perks to me? Do you unlock them and then they help you permanently, or only when the companion is active with you? If they are permanent, i kind of want to go around and unlock them all.

Can someone tell me, or link me to a page which already has explained, exactly how to unlock all of the varied Settlement parts? I can't make shit.

Timeaisis

You are insanely way too early for that party.

I nearly threw my controller in frustration insisting I beat it at 16.

Stick to the main storyline quest, get to Diamond City, you'll meet a companion there who can help. By then. you should be up to low 20s.

Lastly, head outside Vault 81. There's a gun dealer there. Buy 'Pray-n-Spray'

Another tip for that section, close to the area is a river. Follow the river just a few clicks away south, and you'll run into two enarby areas. One is a trailer with a patrolling robot who can shoot the mutants if you kite them to the area. Closeby is a settlement and a caravn with guards who can do the same.

Cool, thanks for the tips! :)

Steejee

Can someone explain the companion perks to me? Do you unlock them and then they help you permanently, or only when the companion is active with you? If they are permanent, i kind of want to go around and unlock them all.

Basically max out your relationship with a companion and anytime they're with you you'll benefit from their perk. The perks are only active with your current companion though, so you don't benefit from perks from companions you have parked in the settlements.

Fjordson

Have you ever tried to shoot a moving target in the head in real life? I haven't, but I imagine it's a lot harder than trying to aim for their torso... Heads are really small targets, relative to the rest of a human body.

Anyways. there's a companion perk that increases your hit% of headshots
..................Macready
, also the perception trait Sniper level 3 gives scoped rifles a significant bonus to headshot accuracy in VATS.
Interesting. I just feel like I was pulling off headshots with much more ease in 3 and New Vegas.

i'm curious how you guys are handling armor

My character still has the Vault Suit because of its bonuses, Ive found nothing else that compares. Especially if you mod it.

Then various armor pieces. Some legendary etc. Modded etc.

My armor is like 90 physical and 90 electrical. Like +2 to Agi and Perc and Luck.

While I like all the stats etc I look like a highway patrolman in a blue jumpsuit and metal strapped to my limbs.

I could of course not wear a helmet, or glasses, not use the vault uit and wear a lesser gear etc but I would feel so much less protected plus take a hit to my SPECIAL.

I want to look good but man I don't want to get shot up either.

The only thing I might do is use The Shroud outfit (modded) but even maxed out at level 45 it's still less armor then what I have now at level 26.

I'm going with full heavy leather set, some of them legendary, and the under-armor is the grey/green BOS uniform. It just looks good, especially with darkened leather.

The original vault suit may look amazing, but the extra defense and radiation defense isn't enough to make me not look swag as fuck.

Beefy

i'm curious how you guys are handling armor

My character still has the Vault Suit because of its bonuses, Ive found nothing else that compares. Especially if you mod it.

Then various armor pieces. Some legendary etc. Modded etc.

My armor is like 90 physical and 90 electrical. Like +2 to Agi and Perc and Luck.

While I like all the stats etc I look like a highway patrolman in a blue jumpsuit and metal strapped to my limbs.

I could of course not wear a helmet, or glasses, not use the vault uit and wear a lesser gear etc but I would feel so much less protected plus take a hit to my SPECIAL.

I want to look good but man I don't want to get shot up either.

The only thing I might do is use The Shroud outfit (modded) but even maxed out at level 45 it's still less armor then what I have now at level 26.

I'm level 30. I have mainly legendary metal gear.

Defence: 138
Energy defence: 85
Rad defence: 65

+2 Perception
+2 Charisma

Zukuu

Banned
Is there anything I'm missing? The Railroad has a shit ton of quests, while the brotherhood only has 2 repeatable quests +1 distress call thing. I don't see any advancement, do I need to do a few of those quests or is it locked by main mission progress?

I do hope the patch soon does fix some of the performance issues. Most of the time I have a solid 60 FPS but there are places where it drops to like 30 FPS, if I move my camera slightly away it boosts up to 60 again. The actual Boston area is a good example of this and I am running above recommended specs and everything at ultra. The only thing that gives me a consistent 60 FPS in these situations is setting shadow distance to medium but it's really ugly then and it's annoying because 90% of the time the game runs 55-60 FPS and I don't want the shadows down just for the certain areas it does happen. It's not all of Boston but certain parts. I have a suspicion that even though geometry is being culled, the shadows are still being calculated as if the geometry were there which still keeps a lot of the draw calls in place even if the geometry is culled/draw calls removed.

So for a few hours now I have been using just one outfit, the Spike Armor but lately I've been finding really good armor pieces that eventually provide me with better damage protection. But I need good clothing underneath. Any recommendations? There are some Raider leathers here and there but stats wise not too good. Where to find some good stuff?

These outfits where you can't use any armor pieces on sometimes look great, shame I can't put armor pieces on them. Will I get better stuff than Raider leathers and the Vault suit later on in terms of looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom