• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Zocano

The poop slinging over the "depthness" of this game's RPG stuff is kinda hilarious. I mean, I love me a cRPG (they are without fail my favorite games), but I just feel like it should be expected from Bethesda's RPGs at this point.

The narratives in the main quest and side quests are as flexible as they've always been since Oblivion (which is to say kinda sorta not really but a tiny bit?). Obsidian did a great job with the variance in New Vegas but people are getting all miffed when the difference between that and 4 isn't actually all that huge.

The poop slinging over the "depthness" of this game's RPG stuff is kinda hilarious. I mean, I love me a cRPG (they are without fail my favorite games), but I just feel like it should be expected from Bethesda's RPGs at this point.

The narratives in the main quest and side quests are as flexible as they've always been since Oblivion (which is to say kinda sorta not really but a tiny bit?). Obsidian did a great job with the variance in New Vegas but people are getting all miffed when the difference between that and 4 isn't actually all that huge.
F3 had sufficient depth for me to enjoy it. NV blew it out of the water, all right, but back in 2008, F3 was good-ish in that department and I remember it fondly. I love power gaming and it took me quite some time to skill my character perfectly and get the maximum of skill points out of her.

Beefy

So with my two industrial purifiers, I get so much water that it has basically broken the game. I will never have to spend my caps again.

danowat

Banned
I don't get it, apart from the changes to the conversation system, I don't see any differences in depth between FO3/NV and FO4, you could argue that the weapon crafting system adds more depth to the formula than either.

Maybe I am just a "shallow gamer"

Johndoey

Banned
Game is getting shredded on RPGCodex and people claim I should play Wasteland 2 DC instead if I'm interested in a post-apocalyptic setting. Is that accurate?

I don't know like this game isn't particularly good but overall Wasteland 2 is probably a bit worse.

It depends on what you want really i'd say writing wise Wasteland probably beats out Fallout 4 but Wasteland is an ugly, ugly game and the combat is questionable.

But on the other hand the combat gameplay of Fallout 4 is also mediocre. A few more interesting characters in Fallout 4 but neither game make great use of their settings imo. If you want to get full into role-playing Wasteland 2 is way better for that.

Both are honestly fairly uninteresting games so maybe just give Fallout 1 or 2 a run through?

NBtoaster

So after about 40 hours, the flaws of the dialogue system are becoming super apparent. Perhaps the biggest issue is how the 'question/more info' option sometimes automatically results in the 'affirmative/accept quest' option, and other times you can ask a question and have to explicitly confirm afterwards.

Though so far I'd say the game is significantly better than Skyrim. Compared to Fallout 3...I'm not sure yet.

dity

The title is misleading. I do not farm, my settlers stand around and stare at vegetables and the cows stand on buildings.

UberLevi

Just got my hands on a really neat legendary drop.

It was a Minigun that does Poison damage. I'll put it right next to my Flamer that does Bleed damage.

Cob32

OT2 and I'm pnly level 15 and getting nowhere fast. Does anyone else feel like aimlessly walking around in this world is really dangerous? Almost makes me wanna follow only the quest markers, cause I get killed all the time just exploring...

I would head in the general direction of diamond city it's your first time. The east and south areas of the map are harder I've found.

Just explored my first vault yesterday in fo4--vault 75. Love reading the terminals to find out the true nature of the vaults. I like how at the end it gives you an xp completion bonus too

Steejee

I would head in the general direction of diamond city it's your first time. The east and south areas of the map are harder I've found.

I saw a heatmap either in one of the OTs or on Reddit that had the easiest area being a fat line from Sanctuary to Diamond City, then the difficulty ramping up if you go NE or SW from that line (or SE of Diamond City). That seems to mirror my experiences so far

Starfield

Anyone alrady seen this? No? because its awesome.

26f72a436a.jpg

Aaron D.

Considering that Farming Simulator 2013 & FS15 won my personal GOTY during their respective launches (no joke), this thread title warms my heart.

Zocano

I don't get it, apart from the changes to the conversation system, I don't see any differences in depth between FO3/NV and FO4, you could argue that the weapon crafting system adds more depth to the formula than either.

Maybe I am just a "shallow gamer"

I feel like people have some crazy rose-tinted glasses for 3 and NV. While New Vegas very clearly had an immense level of variance that makes it stand out, outside of that (and I understand that's still a big conceit to leave out), 3 and NV are very close to 4.

The biggest complaint I see is the dialogue system, which, yes it's got the shitty mass effect "simplification" which is horrible. But other than that, the dialogue doesn't really impact any narrative "depth" any more than Bethesda already did with Fallout 3. It's pretty much the same level of stilted cycling dialogue you got from 3 and less so from NV, it's just in a different coat of paint.

F3 had sufficient depth for me to enjoy it. NV blew it out of the water, all right, but back in 2008, F3 was good-ish in that department and I remember it fondly. I love power gaming and it took me quite some time to skill my character perfectly and get the maximum of skill points out of her.

Well 4 has no level cap and I would imagine anyone (and everyone) will have the entire perk list filled out but 1) that will take a long time 2) you will have finished all the content and then some . This game doesn't have quite the min-maxingness of NV (I'm hesitant to also say 3 but I haven't played 3 in forever and don't remember the skill system all that much). But, like the rest of Bethesda's post-Oblivion RPGs, there's not a whole lot of really detrimental downsides, which is my main issue with the character leveling side of things. Having low int doesn't severely impact anything except for stalling your weapon upgrading progress. Having low str just means you have to juggle your inventory even more than you would already do. I don't feel severely hindered as far as who I can talk with, interact with, and things I can do. Everything is "side ways" progression in that regard. Like, with hacking and pick-locking, or charming/threatening it's just a different alternative to reach the same goal rather than an outcome that could affect the world state.

Speaking of which, while there aren't a whole lot of things that affect the world state of the game early on (unlike Fallout 3's megaton), they're definitely still there.

I'm mostly rambling and and any arguments I have will probably be really incoherent and unclear. It's super late (early?) and I have a headache so I probably can't quite say what I am trying to actually get across.

But last thing I'll mention is...

I really hate this trend of games that are just throwing in dating simulators into their RPGs and then letting people think it's "meaningful character interaction". That's all this and Bioware's RPGs feel like now when it comes to interacting with the side characters. Look at Shadowrun: Dragonfall for how to do side characters perfectly.

hamchan

I'm level 46 now. I think I've been using the same armor and weapons since level 26. Rifle damage is 180 using .45 ammo with 80 accuracy. It's quite good.

Help me Fallout GAF.

I have the local leader perk and want to link two settlements supply lines.

Sanctuary and
Abernethy
farm.

No matter who I go to it says the settler can't be used. What am I doing wrong

Help me Fallout GAF.

Sanctuary and
Abernethy
farm.

If they are natural residents to a place they can't do supply lines.

You have to use generic "settlers"

Help me Fallout GAF.

Sanctuary and
Abernethy
farm.

I think you need a new settler. Same happened for me. I think the people who are already at the farm from start can't be choosen. Same goes for the people at sanctuary. I got someone new onto the farm and I was able to use her to link it to some other place.

Beefy

Help me Fallout GAF.

Sanctuary and
Abernethy
farm.

Who are you trying to do it on? Have you settlers already doing it from Sanctuary?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Hello there OT2!

-So far I still haven't done the Main Quest Line besides getting to Diamond City.

-I'm currently working for the Railroad to unlock the Ballistic Weave Mid

-I'm currently Lv.31

-I finally added a4th Settlement to my trading routes.

I hope you guys are still having a grand time with the game despite it's shortcomings.

hydruxo

Well, given how uncannily similar both of these company's downfall in terms of quality was, no surprise.

Captain Buzzkill saves the day

Anyway, I hit 50 hours last night and I've still got a ton of quests to finish up. Not even done with the main quest yet but I just
took out the Courser with the reset code.
This game is just too much fun.

Sarcasm

How long does it take to get followers perks? I JUST found out about them so I picked up Preston. Found a spoiler free list on the wiki and see the others.

Watevaman

Hoping to get some quality time with FO4 this weekend. According to some posts in the last thread, I'm about halfway through the main quest so I'm starting to do some side quests that have piled up in my list.

Beefy

Man Curie is really annoying as a companion. She can hardly carry anything, dislikes me actually defending myself against super mutants. Moans about dirt every five seconds. I really need to do her quest and change up.

Ugh, the higher level I am, the more silly the damage vs hp ratio are.
Why can't I 1 shot to the head kill anymore? Headshots only do about half of the enemies' hp nowadays.

They said they were going PC Beta patch > Full Steam patch > Console patch, so I'm guessing only the 'full' patch will make it to consoles.

He's talking about Unofficial Patches, which are mods.

As for whether they'll be there or not, we simply don't know. We don't know anything about the new Creation Kit and how porting things to consoles works. If my assumption is correct and most mods that use .esp's or .esm's will work, they should find their way on there.

kiyomi

He's talking about Unofficial Patches, which are mods.

As for whether they'll be there or not, we simply don't know. We don't know anything about the new Creation Kit and how porting things to consoles works. If my assumption is correct and most mods that use .esp's or .esm's will work, they should find their way on there.

My bad!

heringer

Guys, am I missing too much by not using companions? Are they useful with their stock equipment? Can't be bothered to manage their inventory.

Top Bottom