• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Holy crap, guys. Are any of you getting this performance? There are parts were nothing is happening and the framerate is horrendous. Btw, I get 60fps when in the open and most of the other areas (with dips to 40/50)
Sorry, the framerate wasn't included in the pictures, but I put it below each picture.
Fallout4%202015-11-13%2003-59-55-15_zpshlulktis.png

23fps
Fallout4%202015-11-13%2003-15-29-31_zpssvtlkhwq.png

30fps

Damn bro, I think your problem is worse than you think. I've been watching those gifs for a while and the fps seems way less than 23fps.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
a solid 60fps just isn't gonna happen no matter what for me. i'm capped at 40fps with mostly everything on high, sliders at max, god rays on low, ultra textures and medium shadow distance.

i just want to be able to enable shadow distance on high even if i can only manage 40fps but if i turn it on i need to cap it at 30fps. i hope it's just bugged out cause no matter how low the other settings shadow distance will just limit to 37fps.

hopefully performance is improved through patches and AMD release a driver.

I play 1920x1080 with a 980 and my settings are high without godrays, motion blur, and I have my shadows on medium. Runs smooth, with little hiccups hear and there. For those who want to read a sad story.
I have been having trouble with my pc for years. Seemed like every game would run into framerate issues. So I overclocked my 2500k last year to 4.5. Still the same results. My friend has an identical setup and his games always ran smoother. Last night I filled my newegg cart with a new i7/mb/ram and was about to spend ~600 to upgrade my pc so I can play fallout 4 without it being on all low settings. I saw a video of someone having their cpu usage being shown and I figured I'd like to see mine, because I knew the framerate was tied to it. So I open task manager and fallout 4. Alt tab out and look for results. It says it's being used 100%, but it has a blue horizontal line showing that it is being capped at 50%. So I google something like cpu only being used 50% and got to some forum where a poster said to check power setting. Turns out my power settings management was on energy saving mode. I switched it to balanced and 100% cpu usage and it feels like I have a new computer. I'm so ashamed of myself for not thinking about this earlier. I wasted 2 years playing games with half the cpu power, and the best part is most of them ran perfectly fine on high and ultra. I'm not a pc gamer, I'm a fraud.

lol, amazing. congrats on the "new" rig.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that was quite a read, at least it's sorted now lol.

I play 1920x1080 with a 980 and my settings are high without godrays, motion blur, and I have my shadows on medium. Runs smooth, with little hiccups hear and there. For those who want to read a sad story.
I have been having trouble with my pc for years. Seemed like every game would run into framerate issues. So I overclocked my 2500k last year to 4.5. Still the same results. My friend has an identical setup and his games always ran smoother. Last night I filled my newegg cart with a new i7/mb/ram and was about to spend ~600 to upgrade my pc so I can play fallout 4 without it being on all low settings. I saw a video of someone having their cpu usage being shown and I figured I'd like to see mine, because I knew the framerate was tied to it. So I open task manager and fallout 4. Alt tab out and look for results. It says it's being used 100%, but it has a blue horizontal line showing that it is being capped at 50%. So I google something like cpu only being used 50% and got to some forum where a poster said to check power setting. Turns out my power settings management was on energy saving mode. I switched it to balanced and 100% cpu usage and it feels like I have a new computer. I'm so ashamed of myself for not thinking about this earlier. I wasted 2 years playing games with half the cpu power, and the best part is most of them ran perfectly fine on high and ultra. I'm not a pc gamer, I'm a fraud.

LordAmused

Since I've set my shadow distance at 13000 in the .ini, I haven't had a single dip under 58 in Lexington and Diamond City. Godrays at medium and the rest is maxed out.

I5 4690
GTX 970
16GB Ram
Game installed on SSD.

daninthemix

That's a great story, lol. Believe it or not that setting does have a use - I use it on a laptop to keep it from getting too hot and noisy with the fans.

JackHerer

I have Titan X SLI and and 5960x. Playing at 1440p (gsync) with rivatuner cap at 72fps.

I did some shadow tweaks before starting the game. Played for 2 hours but was getting some odd stuttering and frame drops as low as 45 fps... Even when the framerate is solid the game looks really rough in motion.

Now I've heard there may be issues with the godrays so maybe I'll turn those down. I was really surprised how bad the game performed.

Rootbeer

Banned
GTX 980 Ti
1920x1200, 60hz
Windoows 10 64bit, 16GB RAM
Ultra, everything maxed

This is the first game I've spent any time playing since building this system. After hearing some having performance issues, even with these specs I honestly wasn't sure what I'd encounter. But it's been silky smooth (as well it damn should be), haven't seen a single stutter. Solid 60. Just wish I had a 1440p monitor to really put this game through its paces. Maybe soon.

AEREC

Ive been getting seemingly smooth 60fps in the beginning areas (Sanctuary, Concord, etc...) just past some quarry and texture didn't load properly on the quarry and the framerate started going to shit, especially when scoping with a sniper rifle. Not sure if it's just that area or what.

i7-980
GTX 970 4GB
8GB Ram

The game started with ultra settings...looks like I may have to turn some down.

Sequincer

Neo Member
Even with iPresentInterval=0 I'm getting stuck at terminals.

Same. It seems when you run the game above 60 fps it bugs out. I was running 144Hz and usually had ~130 fps and it's unbearable. What an INCREDIBLY stupid decision to speed up the engine based on fps. As it currently stands, I can't play the game at anything above 60fps without issues and that's really stupid considering I have a 1440p monitor and a Titan X.

void666

Banned
So i let geforce experience set the graphics options for me. Godrays and shadows on medium, distant objetct fade on high (not sure if that's the right name).
Silky smooth 60 fps. Not even a slight stutter.

This is performance wise the best bethesda game since i started playing their games.

W10
GTX 980
8GB Ram
Installed on SSD

GTX 980 Ti

1920x1200, 60hz
Ultra, everything maxed

good to hear- building similar setup-(waiting on my Mobo to arrive currently) although I plan on running it 1440p

-think you are the first 6700k + 980ti user to post impressions- are you going to use any mods?

Ergo my kind of. Yeah, Hope for it to improve.
Also, you should never trust review sites 100%, I've been looking through user videos to see the real framerate in video games, because site tests stick to certain situations in which the framerate is stable no matter what.

Worth noting, my frames drop that low only when looking at those directions.

Also, same problem here. This guy has a 970 and his framerate dropped to 23, too.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3sd7ck/fallout_4_pc_players_if_you_are_having_issues/

Godan

4770K OC'd to 4.2
GTX 980 Ti
1920x1080
Ultra settings

Was running solid for the past few days but it seem that noe i am a bit further south in the game in the city section and i tend to get drops to about 45 - 50 fps when normally it at around 72 - 75 fps.

I take it this is the games issue as all it take is me to take one step to the right and the fps seems to go down

Deepo

That was both heartbreaking and hilarious, I'm so sorry. Good to hear you solved it though!

parabolee

Actually, I just found out EXACTLY what it is. It actually DOES happen with mouse and keyboard controls as well.

It's an issue with the walk animation, not sure if it's the transition, the animation itself, or what, but if you use mouse and keyboard and press caps lock to walk, you can reproduce the issue. Also explains why the camera doesn't lock up using a controller if you are running.

edit: looking at it more, it seems the character pauses before changing directions while walking, which is the exact same time as the camera locks up.

Interesting. I'll have to test. Worse case I guess I could mess with my stick sensitivity to prevent slow walking. Again, less than ideal but I would take it over the distracting stutter!

Please PM me if you find a solution (as well as post it here for others). I will do the same.

Thanks

Are you referring to the minimum and maximum processor state in the power options menu?

rY9b.png

cleansock

Banned
Are you referring to the minimum and maximum processor state in the power options menu?

rY9b.png
Yes, but the options before that screen is energy savings or balanced. Mine was on energy saving. When I selected the balance option, then advanced option, it was already at 100%. I just saved myself ~600. Fun story. I feel like an idiot.

jorimt

4770K OC'd to 4.2
GTX 980 Ti
1920x1080
Ultra settings

Was running solid for the past few days but it seem that noe i am a bit further south in the game in the city section and i tend to get drops to about 45 - 50 fps when normally it at around 72 - 75 fps.

I take it this is the games issue as all it take is me to take one step to the right and the fps seems to go down

Same settings, same GPU, CPU (OC and all), OS, and RAM here.

I was getting seemingly random drops also. It turns out it was because I increased the default FOV. It looks like the game's culling system is tuned to it specifically; set the FOV any higher, and you're going to get drops like that.

More details/screens in my original post here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185098325&postcount=2630

After setting it to default again, I haven't dropped since. If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what's causing it in your case.

onken

Ok I installed ENB and limited the frame rate to 85, that fixed the terminal stuck issue I was having. I have shadow distance on medium, god rays on low and everything else maxed out and fantastic performance. I don't have the counter out but it feels around 50-80 fps the whole time. 780Ti + 4770k + Gsync oh yeahh.

Godan

Same settings, same GPU, CPU (OC and all), OS, and RAM here.

I was getting seemingly random drops also. It turns out it was because I increased the default FOV. It looks like the game's culling system is tuned to it specifically; set the FOV any higher, and you're going to get drops like that.

More details/screens in my original post here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185098325&postcount=2630

After setting it to default again, I haven't dropped since. If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what's causing it in your case.

Thanks not changed any of they settings or anything. Tried changing everything to high there and seem to still get the same amount of fps drops in the area just outside Goodneighbor.

God knows what is up.

Edit: So it seems like keeping everything to ultra but making Shadow Distance set to medium seems to have fixed it for me.

Afro

Okay, think I finally found the fix to the jittery camera panning I was getting w/ my 144hz g-sync monitor (this post is for the 144hz g-sync micro stutter / jitter crowd, specifically). Weirdest/dumbest solution ever, but I haven't seen it posted yet and this is the only way I was able to get that buttery smooth 60fps feel after trying all the popular tweaks (using RTSS, etc.). The two most important tweaks are bolded.

- Changed my monitor's refresh rate to 60hz via Nvidia Control Panel (lol).
- Left g-sync enabled via Nvidia Control Panel.
- Left v-sync enabled via Nvidia Control Panel.
- Set iPresentInterval=0 (not sure if this matters at only 60hz, but I did it anyway).
- Set game to Borderless Windowed mode via game launcher.
Bonus:
- Set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 via Nvidia Control Panel (I do this with pretty much every game, but I'm including it anyway).
- Also, for gamepad users, removed acceleration).

Curious if this helps any of you so please post if it does! Will edit this post if the jitter/microstutter returns.

Just gonna' bump this once in hopes of it helping some people. Still works wonders.

Guys, can someone go to this exact area and tell me how many fps do you get? Please. (Corvega tower. In the stairs to Repair Vault boy. Ideally, someone with a similar GPU: 970, 390, 290X, even 980)

Vamphuntr

Worse performing section in the game for me so far is Trinity Tower. The part where you use the lift at the end. It was raining outside and the framerate was like 17-18 FPS. On a GTX970 with an i7-4790k and 16 GB of ram with everything on ultra and godrays on high.

Guys, can someone go to this exact area and tell me how many fps do you get? Please. (Corvega tower. In the stairs to Repair Vault boy. Ideally, someone with a similar GPU: 970, 390, 290X, even 980)
[IMG.]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x60/Rusher_/Fallout4%202015-11-13%2003-59-55-15_zpshlulktis.png[/IMG]

If you read the thread a bit you will see it performs poorly for most people there

But I have a 3930k @4.8Ghz... What sort of CPU do you need then?

No, relax. People with Nvidia GPU are experiencing the same framdrops with lower settings .
I have a 3770k and 970, and if it's any consolation, the game does NOT run really well.
Maintains 60 FPS outside of cities (godrays low, 1080p, motion blur off, borderless windowed mode, latest driver), but even then it suffers from framelapse/timing issues that make it look like it's micro-stuttering every 5 seconds or so. REALLY annoying as you feel like you're bumping into something really small every couple of seconds.
My FPS in cities can drop to mid 30s if I look in a certain direction, 60 every other direction.
On top of a skyscraper, same thing - low FPS looking one way, turn slightly and back to 60 FPS again.
The game RUNS at 60 FPS, it just doesn't FEEL like 60 FPS.
But...Skyrim was the same at launch and got fixed so...bear with it for now I guess.

komorebi

Corvega Factory/Lexington is one of the problem areas. I used it many times to test before giving up on tweaking my settings. The game needs official patches because in Boston the frames dip to the mid 40s even with shadow distance set to Medium. This means one could keep it at Ultra and still have the same dips in the same area (would probably be more frequent though; I've tried).

From memory my frames were exactly 42fps on Ultra shadow distance, 50 High shadow distance, 60 Medium (which looks terrible). Everything else was at full Ultra with god rays at Medium or Low. MSI GTX 980.

kiyomi

Corvega Factory, Charlestown, Lexington and some parts out of the outskirts of Diamond City are known to be rough.

Setting Shadow Distance to medium will almost certainly provide you a substantial boost in those areas. I went from ~38 FPS to 60 simply by dropping Shadow Distance from High to Medium, on a 970, 4690K, 8GB RAM.

SliChillax

I'm kinda annoyed when people use spoiler tags for nothing. I mean do you want me to read your story or should I ignore it because I think it's a spoiler? It's not a spoiler, there's no need for a spoiler tag.

Corvega Factory, Charlestown, Lexington and some parts out of the outskirts of Diamond City are known to be rough.

Setting Shadow Distance to medium will almost certainly provide you a substantial boost in those areas. I went from ~38 FPS to 60 simply by dropping Shadow Distance from High to Medium, on a 970, 4690K, 8GB RAM.

But in that area? Because I went there with SD at medium and the framerate improved.... Now, instead of getting 23 I get 33 -> HOW WRONG WAS I. Anyway, I get 60 in the rest of the game.

WELP. Is there a possibility that my 390 is faulty? I'm still on time to change it.
Fallout4%202015-11-13%2014-24-00-67_zpss34uuxqz.png

(Shadow distance medium, and some other stuff turned down)

The-Bean

What is your CPU? That's most likely the culprit. A few locations, like that one, are particularity CPU intensive. Need to overclock, upgrade or hope that Bethesda optimize the game a bit more. DX12 would probably help in scenarios like this too, wish they used it.

Similar to Skyrim in some parts of towns, particularly Markarth. I wonder if Bethesda compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags, like they did with Skyrim (later fixed in a patch). TESV Acceleration Layer / Skyboost boosted FPS in those CPU intensive locations in Skyrim until it was patched.

Watevaman

So are textures sometimes being blurry (on the High setting) a side effect of my 1.3GB of VRAM or is it just a known issue with the game? I just reached (beginning game)
Concord, and going down into the area where the Deathclaw crawled out of, the textures on the walls are very low quality.

I can get over it I guess but it'd be nice to know if this is normal or something's wrong.

Neo_Geo

Banned

On a 980@1.5Ghz I am dropping frames here too, just arrived there last night. Didn't have a chance to check GPU/CPU utilization though, but it was chugging into the mid 50's or so it felt like.

The-Bean

So are textures sometimes being blurry (on the High setting) a side effect of my 1.3GB of VRAM or is it just a known issue with the game? I just reached (beginning game)
Concord, and going down into the area where the Deathclaw crawled out of, the textures on the walls are very low quality.

I can get over it I guess but it'd be nice to know if this is normal or something's wrong.

I've been having this issue a bit, sometimes they seem load full resolution after a few seconds, sometimes they don't (or I don't hang around long enough for them to). With 3GB VRAM.

Vitor711

But in that area? Because I went there with SD at medium and the framerate improved.... Now, instead of getting 23 I get 33 -> HOW WRONG WAS I. Anyway, I get 60 in the rest of the game.

WELP. Is there a possibility that my 390 is faulty? I'm still on time to change it.

It's not you - At Corvega I had my FPS drop from a locked 60 to the high 30s at one point on my 980 and i5-4690k. First time the game did that outside of a weird sniper battle in the woods leading up to that place.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Performance seems to be pretty shitty.

Most of the time it's 60 FPS but there are some spots where the FPS just pluments. It was pretty awful in that first area where you have to kill the bandits. After that I turned on fraps just to see if I got anymore dips and when 2 molerats attacked me I dropped down to 43 FPS. I'm not sure what the bandit area was since I had fraps off but it got really bad. Probably around the 30-ish range.

[edit]

Seems like a lot of people are having issues in that area.

King_Moc

Banned

I was there on a 970 a couple of nights ago. If i remember right, my lowest fps was around 35fps, but reaching 45. That was at 1440p, with everything but godrays on ultra, and some of the distance drawing turned down 3 or 4 notches (i think).

In city areas my framerate just plummets. I suppose my FX-8350 is to blame.

Would anyone recommend a good Intel CPU to jump over onto? I'm sick of AMD's inferior CPUs for gaming.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

Shadow distance seems to be bugged, at least I think it is.

Here I am standing on the roof of the police station looking to the south and getting maximum fps (I capped my fps to 72 so it's actually more than that.

jK0sgKt.jpg

I turn around 180° and suddenly my fps drop to around 30

x1xH4mN.jpg

This didn't happen only at this location but at a lot of places where I'd just get random fps drops without any reason. So I played around with the graphic settings and found out that Shadow Distance was the main reason for that. Turned it from high to medium and gained 20-25 fps in these areas.
But the weird thing is, if shadow distance was the limiting factor, why was I getting over 70 fps in that first picture even though I am looking at the distance where there are a lot of shadows? Shouldn't I have been getting 30 fps in both situations if shadow distance was the problem?

Another sitaution where shadow distance was causing fps drops, even though it makes no sense at all.

Ge5lGXF.jpg

bWd20oU.jpg

V6elr64.jpg

I'm moving my cursor a few inches to the top and boom, 40+ fps less. Turned shadow distance to medium and it dropped to "only" 50. But where exactly are the shadows in the distasnce?

Anyway, I don't think it's on your part. Bad optimization plus Corvega plant being very demanding will do that for you.

btw. I'm usually not a fan of Bethesda games, not at all. Hated Skyrim and Oblivion, disliked FO3 and NV too but for some really weird reason I'm actually having fun with Fallout 4 even though it's basically the same as the other games. I just spend hours on end building my base in Starlight Drive in

Shadow distance seems to be bugged, at least I think it is.

Here I am standing on the roof of the police station looking to the south and getting maximum fps (I capped my fps to 72 so it's actually more than that.

jK0sgKt.jpg

I turn around 180° and suddenly my fps drop to around 30

x1xH4mN.jpg

This didn't happen only at this location but at a lot of places where I'd just get random fps drops without any reason. So I played around with the graphic settings and found out that Shadow Distance was the main reason for that. Turned it from high to medium and gained 20-25 fps in these areas.
But the weird thing is, if shadow distance was the limiting factor, why was I getting over 70 fps in that first picture even though I am looking at the distance where there are a lot of shadows? Shouldn't I have been getting 30 fps in both situations if shadow distance was the problem?

Another sitaution where shadow distance was causing fps drops, even though it makes no sense at all.

Ge5lGXF.jpg

bWd20oU.jpg

V6elr64.jpg

I'm moving my cursor a few inches to the top and boom, 40+ fps less. Turned shadow distance to medium and it dropped to "only" 50. But where exactly are the shadows in the distasnce?

Anyway, I don't think it's on your part. Bad optimization plus Corvega plant being very demanding will do that for you.

btw. I'm usually not a fan of Bethesda games, not at all. Hated Skyrim and Oblivion, disliked FO3 and NV too but for some really weird reason I'm actually having fun with Fallout 4 even though it's basically the same as the other games. I just spend hours on end building my base in Starlight Drive in

Yup, not my video cardm then. It's this fucking game.

Top Bottom