• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Wherever the trinity tower is, and the silver shroud quest area.

I'm actually going to do that quest next time I play just finishing up some of the diamond city side quests. I'll hop back in here when I get there and report my performance. Hopefully it's as smooth as the other places.

parabolee

Yup, it seems to be an issue tied to the 3rd person analog movement. Why do I think this? It doesn't happen if you use mouse and keyboard in third person, at all.

It's not random either, it happens during the transition between animations, you can easily test this by moving the camera sideways slowly, and then making the character go left and right over and over. Everytime the character starts moving in the other direction and the animation switches, the camera locks up for a second.

It's super fucking annoying, and I just want to be able to get this issue acknowledged by the devs so they can fix it. Idk the best way to do this, I posted on the official FO4 forums but idk if the devs even read that shit.

Well I'm kinda glad it's not just me. However that sounds like something we can't fix ourselves, which sucks. Also Fallout 4 is one of those games that does not let you use mouse/keyboard at the same time as a controller. Because if it did then mapping the mouse to the right stick would fix the issue!!!!!

I'll try and get the devs to acknowledge it too. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh wait you are saying it is because of analogue movement. Well I guess worse case we can use a controller with m/k mapped to it. Sucks to lose analogue movement but it would be better than this shit!!!

Aurongel

I changed in [Display] from Fallout4Prefs.ini
bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1

and in Fallout4.ini:

[General]
iFPSClamp=60

(To make sure it'd work, I made these changes in all 4 .ini files)

It did wonders here. I'm always skeptical and expect most ini tweaks to be placebos, but the difference is real. No more microstuttering and much better performance in Lexington, which was the one place with major drops and stuttering so far (not in DC yet).
Also, according to Notepad++, both files are changed everytime I start the game, but I didn't bother to check what values. Anyway, I recommend making both read-only.

I'm actually giving a thumbs up to my computer screen right now in honor of this post. This really cleaned up the performance for me.

Vitor711

I tried downloading the .ini tweaker and the FOV stuff isn't working.

I also tried doing it manually but I don't seem to have the FOV settings in the second Fallout 4 preference file in my documents folder? No idea what's up with that.

daxy

I tried downloading the .ini tweaker and the FOV stuff isn't working.

I also tried doing it manually but I don't seem to have the FOV settings in the second Fallout 4 preference file in my documents folder? No idea what's up with that.

Add it in yourself under [Display] or whatever so you know where to find it later. I believe that may be standard, or at least the case for some other tweakable settings.

booxohan

Neo Member
I'm actually giving a thumbs up to my computer screen right now in honor of this post. This really cleaned up the performance for me.

I thought that too. After the respected changes in the ini, Diamond City was running at 59 fps on average, but only at one point. I did further testing while staring into the same direction of one of the many troublesome areas in DC. It seems like shadows, no matter the quality or distance setting really dictates the performance you receive. When the sun points in a certain direction, and the large shadows of the many tall apartments are not rendering on screen and away from me, is truly why my fps largely improved. However, that 59 fps average miracle quickly turned into an abhorrent nightmare of a lowly 41 average when the sun pointed in a direction behind me and large shadows were rendered on my screen directly. At least that's my observation. It seems like there just isn't a solution for Diamond City until official and/or unofficial patches.

Holy crap, guys. Are any of you getting this performance? There are parts were nothing is happening and the framerate is horrendous. Btw, I get 60fps when in the open and most of the other areas (with dips to 40/50)
Sorry, the framerate wasn't included in the pictures, but I put it below each picture.
Fallout4%202015-11-13%2003-59-55-15_zpshlulktis.png

23fps
Fallout4%202015-11-13%2003-15-29-31_zpssvtlkhwq.png

30fps

Holy crap, guys. Are any of you getting this performance? There are parts were nothing is happening and the framerate is horrendous. Btw, I get 60fps when in the open and most of the other areas (with dips to 40/50)
Sorry, the framerate wasn't included in the pictures, but I put it below each picture.

23fps
30fps

Yes that area is the one that made me convinced that Bethesda does not know how to code, however reduce your shadow quality to medium as the game is rendering shadows even if not seen.

My system:

I7 5820K@ 4.3GHZ
GTX 980 TI G1@ 1489
16GB DDR4@ 2133MHZ
Windows 10 64-BIT
Fallout 4 driver.

Same place as you I was getting anywhere from 50-38,with everything on Ultra(1440P) except God-ray on low,I had to reduce shadow quality to medium, to get 60FPS locked.

Hip Hop

Has Bethesda released an Ultra texture pack yet like they did for Skyrim back in the day?

I mean, wasn't the reason for releasing ultra pack for Skyrim was because the game was released for last gen consoles?

Even though the game is not a looker, I don't think they have a reason to this time since it's all current gen. But who knows.

daninthemix

Yes that area is the one that made me convinced that Bethesda does not know how to code, however reduce your shadow quality to medium as the game is rendering shadows even if not seen.

My system:

I7 5820K@ 4.3GHZ
GTX 980 TI G1@ 1489
16GB DDR4@ 2133MHZ
Windows 10 64-BIT
Fallout 4 driver.

Same place as you I was getting anywhere from 50-38,with everything on Ultra(1440P) except God-ray on low,I had to reduce shadow quality to medium, to get 60FPS locked.

Do you mean shadow distance?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a mod or setting tweak to remove all fog so its clear 100% of the time?

Soodanim

I feel like we need a separate thread (someone invent sub-threads, thanks) for us 144hz and/or G-Sync people. I feel all of the fps clamp stuff doesn't apply to us.

It felt like the stuttering was fixed for me when I used Inspector to limit to 75fps, but maybe I'm still running faster and not realising it. I haven't touched it since launch day (work) so I'll have to take a look in a bit.

Well I'm kinda glad it's not just me. However that sounds like something we can't fix ourselves, which sucks. Also Fallout 4 is one of those games that does not let you use mouse/keyboard at the same time as a controller. Because if it did then mapping the mouse to the right stick would fix the issue!!!!!

I'll try and get the devs to acknowledge it too. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh wait you are saying it is because of analogue movement. Well I guess worse case we can use a controller with m/k mapped to it. Sucks to lose analogue movement but it would be better than this shit!!!
Actually, I just found out EXACTLY what it is. It actually DOES happen with mouse and keyboard controls as well.

It's an issue with the walk animation, not sure if it's the transition, the animation itself, or what, but if you use mouse and keyboard and press caps lock to walk, you can reproduce the issue. Also explains why the camera doesn't lock up using a controller if you are running.

edit: looking at it more, it seems the character pauses before changing directions while walking, which is the exact same time as the camera locks up.

So, what is this ENBoost?
An enb preset that actually boost your performance and eliminate stuttering?
Pretty much, it's especially useful when using mods. How well it works as of now, who knows.

You should at the very least get it to remove the horrible fake lighting on characters. It also can serve as a FPS limiter (works VERY well) and for vsync.

rdytoroll

Noob question: So how would I go about locking my game to 30fps? What program do I have to use and what settings should I change in the game? I don't think I can handle these inconsistent frame drops anymore.

kavanf1

I've been following this thread but there's so much I might have missed it - is there a fix available for the stretched HUD when using triple monitors? Cheers.

Angry Fork

Anyone know the most demanding settings? I'm on gtx970, 8gb ram and sometimes go down to 30fps in the larger cities or when lots of ghouls are around. This is on ultra settings so I just want to lower whatever I need to get a stable 45fps or higher if possible.

Noob question: So how would I go about locking my game to 30fps? What program do I have to use and what settings should I change in the game? I don't think I can handle these inconsistent frame drops anymore.

You have a few options.

- use iPresentInterval=2 (in Fallout.ini & FalloutPrefs.ini) which should get you v-synced 30fps if you have a 60Hz monitor

- RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server, via MSI Afterburner or the standalone) and cap the framerate @ 30

- turn on half-refresh rate v-sync via Nvidia Inspector, if you have a 60Hz monitor

onken

Performance seems fine for me BUT 20 mins in I have a game breaking bug where I can't exit terminals. I read somewhere it's because I run Gsync @ 144hz, blarrg I don't really want to sacrifice either.

rdytoroll

You have a few options.

- RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server, via MSI Afterburner or the standalone) and cap the framerate @ 30

- turn on half-refresh rate v-sync via Nvidia Inspector, if you have a 60Hz monitor

Thanks! If I use one of these, do I have to disable Vsync via the .ini files too?

Corpekata

Banned
Performance seems fine for me BUT 20 mins in I have a game breaking bug where I can't exit terminals. I read somewhere it's because I run Gsync @ 144hz, blarrg I don't really want to sacrifice either.

It's not related to Gsync, it' high FPS in general. I've had it happen at 90 and up.

abuC

I was having screen tearing like crazy, but I switched over to the TV that my PC is hooked up to and there is none. What could be the cause of that? On my monitor it's tearing galore but on my old ass Samsung TV there's none.

Thanks! If I use one of these, do I have to disable Vsync via the .ini files too?

Not recommended to change that part of the INI atm, due to the bugs it can introduce.

Yeah, you should try using iPresentInterval=1 with RTSS or half-refresh rate first.

I haven't experienced any issues related to iPresentInterval=0/2 yet though, as long as I keep my framerate at/under 90.

Yep, you'll get stuck at terminals if your framerate is >90 or something. I haven't experienced it under 90 at least.

I was having screen tearing like crazy, but I switched over to the TV that my PC is hooked up to and there is none. What could be the cause of that? On my monitor it's tearing galore but on my old ass Samsung TV there's none.

What is the frequency of your monitor/TV? Are you duplicating the screen?

abuC

Are you duplicating the screen?

That was the problem, I was scratching my head as to why it didn't happen when I first got the game but was doing it now and I forgot that I had it set to duplicate where as before it was always on extend.

The thing that bothers me the most, is the random GPU usage drops. I don't care if I get a low fps but the GPU is getting maxed, but when I'm getting 10fps below the cap and the GPU is sitting at 80% usage, it really bothers me...

pZer0

Neo Member
I dont know why so many People have issues like that. Im running the game on a 144hz Screen without vsync. And the only issue i have is that when im trying to open a lock it moves extremly fast. Thats the reason why i waste like 4 lockpicks on every single lock. But i can live with that :D

Jisgsaw

So, people weren't kidding when saying the game runs like shit in certain interiors.
Just had crazy FPS drops in one sewer. I think it was the fog that did that, but my god, it was a slide show for a good minute, and only resumed properly when there was no fog any more.
Strange, because the games runs pretty well for me aside from these couple of locations. Which surprised me, because I'm playing at 1440p with a 2GB GTX960.

Mohonky

Anyone getting some weird stutter when looking a around? (360 pad if that makes any difference).

Fraps says 60fps locked (though I haven't left the vault yet) but my eyes say stutter, stutter everywhere

I7 4770k
Win10
16gb ram

Ah ok. What's the recommended way for Nvidia users to cap the frame rate?
I've used both nVidia inspector and ENB, both work fine. I would suggest ENB as you can do more than just cap the framerate, and you can change or disable the FPS limiter in game whenever you want with ENB's GUI.

knerl

Anyone getting some weird stutter when looking a around? (360 pad if that makes any difference).

Fraps says 60fps locked (though I haven't left the vault yet) but my eyes say stutter, stutter everywhere

I7 4770k
Win10
16gb ram

Latest drivers? With the second latest drivers I had to cap the framerate to 60 (which I still do) for it not to stutter. If I didn't cap it it would stutter when the framerate went above 60fps. Got a 144Hz screen so with the in-game vsync I would get 72fps.

With the latest drivers however it doesn't seem to stutter at all even with ~100fps. Game speed seems correct as well.

Fitts

I7 4770k
Win10
16gb ram

Try borderless windowed instead of fullscreen.

SAiLO

On MSI GT72-2QE with 4th gen i7 32GB RAM and 8GB GTX980M but there seems to be an occasional stutter and dropped frames. Have lowered some of the settings to High but not much of a difference. Not sure what could be causing it. Anyone else experienced this?

LordAmused

Yup. Everything over 60 FPS can lock you up in the terminals.

23fps

30fps

AMD driver, CPU limits unfortunately.
The thing that bothers me the most, is the random GPU usage drops. I don't care if I get a low fps but the GPU is getting maxed, but when I'm getting 10fps below the cap and the GPU is sitting at 80% usage, it really bothers me...

The CPU seems to be this game's limiting factor-

Mohonky

The .ini files in documents/my games/fallout 4. Some tweaks also require the initial in your steamapps/common folder.

There is a tweaker on nexus mods that does it for you if you aren't comfortable with changing them yourself.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/?

I was using this and while everything else seemed to work, the FOV tweaker didn't seem to make any difference

Also still lost on how they launched with no 21:9. I have the game running 2560x1080 but no the HUD is stretched and out of alignment. Considering how easy it is to enable some of these tweaks with modders having these things out in a few days of release, how does a big dev not manage to do this shit before release? Hoping they patch in a fix for 21:9 28th correct HUD adjustments.

As someone mentioned, windowed borderless seemed to do the trick with the stutter.

cleansock

Banned
I play 1920x1080 with a 980 and my settings are high without godrays, motion blur, and I have my shadows on medium. Runs smooth, with little hiccups hear and there. For those who want to read a sad story.
I have been having trouble with my pc for years. Seemed like every game would run into framerate issues. So I overclocked my 2500k last year to 4.5. Still the same results. My friend has an identical setup and his games always ran smoother. Last night I filled my newegg cart with a new i7/mb/ram and was about to spend ~600 to upgrade my pc so I can play fallout 4 without it being on all low settings. I saw a video of someone having their cpu usage being shown and I figured I'd like to see mine, because I knew the framerate was tied to it. So I open task manager and fallout 4. Alt tab out and look for results. It says it's being used 100%, but it has a blue horizontal line showing that it is being capped at 50%. So I google something like cpu only being used 50% and got to some forum where a poster said to check power setting. Turns out my power settings management was on energy saving mode. I switched it to balanced and 100% cpu usage and it feels like I have a new computer. I'm so ashamed of myself for not thinking about this earlier. I wasted 2 years playing games with half the cpu power, and the best part is most of them ran perfectly fine on high and ultra. I'm not a pc gamer, I'm a fraud.

Top Bottom