• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Jtrizzy

finally found my sweet spot with the game. 970/2600k@4.5 1080p with everything on ultra except shadow distance (the true killer) and god rays on high and no ini changes. Locked 60 with no stuttering. I could not get 60 with anything other than shadow distance on medium...I'm thinking shadow distance is broken.

To those with stuttering problems, try enabling a default (aero) theme on your desktop. Right click desktop then personalize. Then run the game in borderless window mode. Not something that usually works for me, but it's giving me buttery smooth 60 fps.

Tried the Batman bits and afr2, but it was no good unfortunately. Hopefully they get us an SLI profile soon so I can do some downsampling.

Trace

Banned
Really, really odd... I'm on an identical build and have had 0 performance issues. GTX 980ti, g-sync monitor, 4670k overclocked to 4.1, 16gb RAM, SSD. I'm using the recommended settings from Nvidia's Experience thing.

No problems or hitches whatsoever, and I'm pretty sensitive to them.

I'm actually having an opposite problem where my framerate goes above 60fps and causes bugs like getting stuck at the terminal (character just sits/stands there. I can look around just fine, but can't move or interact with anything).

Just lock your FPS to 60 and you'll be fine for that. The Nvidia recommended settings are a lot better, but it still drops to 25-30 if you're on the top of some of the buildings in downtown Boston. They just put too much stuff in the city for the engine to handle is my guess.

pa22word

Just lock your FPS to 60 and you'll be fine for that. The Nvidia recommended settings are a lot better, but it still drops to 25-30 if you're on the top of some of the buildings in downtown Boston. They just put too much stuff in the city for the engine to handle is my guess.
New Vegas had the same issue with new Vegas proper until they finally patched it up. Like i don't think it mattered how much horsepower you threw at the game it'd still run at like 45 fps max until they patched it up lol

JackHerer

I reverted my .ini back to default other than frame unlock>Rivatuner then instead of 72 I limited it to 60. Turned godrays to medium. That eliminated about 95% of the stutters. I still get a little microstutter when I enter a new cell outside but other than that it's been pretty good.

I do get some drops in Diamond city depending on where I am looking. This game has some serious optimization issues but I'm sure patches, official or otherwise, can fix most of the problem. 5960x Titanx SLI at 1440p.

Not gonna try to mess with tweaking shadows at all for this playthrough I think. There are just too many problematic areas even though some of the tweaks really can improve image quality quite a bit.

I wonder how this game performs with a higher uGrids setting. Probably unplayable at high settings is my guess. I wouldn't do that anyway in fear of breaking the game but one of the biggest eye sores is the Skyrim-esque LODs.

Looking for some advice PC guru's! I want to play Fallout with a 980 at 4K.....judging by the benches, it will average 35fps with a low of 29, so surely I could get this to lock out at 30fps right? But in the same breath, the same guys who are benchmarking are saying you need a dual GPU setup....I'm guessing cause they want 4K 60. So is this gonna be a reality for me?

tumblr_nxs9c0UZwt1u5eu8ao1_1280.jpg

Seriously, what the shit causes this? How do I fix it? It happens every single play session and the only solution I've found is quitting the game and restarting it.

I've had the same happen to me, but restarting the game did't fix it. Also, I noticed that it happened while raining, so I think I turned off both Wetness and Rain Occlusion and it hasn't happened since. Not 100% sure if these options are the ones that made a difference because I lowered a bunch of other stuff in the process.

Has anyone experienced a bug like this? It seems to happen 50% of the time I fast travel, or exit a building.

I thought it might be my GFX card shitting the bed, but if I save during this GFX corruption, load it on my other PC it looks the exact same.

It is game data related....somehow.

http://i.imgur.com/gV7ofV6.gifv

EDIT: ^^^OH SHIT! I am seeing the same thing!!

The Batman SLI bits seem to work better for me when my SLI configuration in NVidia Control Panel is set to "NVidia recommended" so go figure. AFR2 seems to just make the GPUs churn without materially increasing the framerate.

ISee

Looking for some advice PC guru's! I want to play Fallout with a 980 at 4K.....judging by the benches, it will average 35fps with a low of 29, so surely I could get this to lock out at 30fps right? But in the same breath, the same guys who are benchmarking are saying you need a dual GPU setup....I'm guessing cause they want 4K 60. So is this gonna be a reality for me?

Did some quick testing on my OCed 970 for you.
In lexington I get something between 44 - 28 fps(just 4 minutes of running around shooting stuff). On ultra settings but god rays=high.So my guess is; yeah you'll be fine with some drops here and there (not because I think that my 970 is as fast as a 980, but because how the game is from time to time).

Did some quick testing on my OCed 970 for you.
In lexington I get something between 44 - 28 fps(just 4 minutes of running around shooting stuff). On ultra settings but god rays=high.So my guess is; yeah you'll be fine with some drops here and there (not because I think that my 970 is as fast as a 980, but because how the game is from time to time).

That's awesome man, thanks for that! My 980 is heavily OC'd, so I reckon that should do it! It's annoying how benchmarkers make out its unplayable at 30 fps, when console players are doing just fine. Irritating, same old debate I guess.

Vex_

Banned
UPDATE on this issue.

I am SHOCKED I have not seen more people complain about this. It breaks the combat in 3rd person when using a controller to the point of being unplayable!!

I have confirmed that KCroxtonJr is 100% correct in what causes this issue. And I do not think it can be fixed without Bethesda patching it.

Here is a video showing the bug in action.

0-10 - Shows that it does not happen with weapon put away

10-20 Showing the freeze. Note at all time the right stick is pushed so that the camera should constantly move, but whenever the left stick is pushed it freezes for a moment.

20-30 Shows how extreme it can be while playing. In this example I am HOLDING the right stick all the way to the right, it should spin constantly, however it freezes every time the left stick is moved!

35-40 Shows how it does not happen if you push the left stick all the way so your character moves fast.

I then proceed to show the same issue going the opposite direction.

The issue is also present with mouse and keyboard when CAPS is on to lock walking/slow movement.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue, but I didn't want to interrupt a PC performance thread trying to explain this. I hope beth is watching because it seems like it could be an easy fix, but not something a modder could mess with.

That and shoulder switching.

Switching from a WD Caviar Black to a Samsung EVO 850 made a massive difference in load times. Went from 30-40 seconds initial load time to 3-4. I'm going to play more and see if it affects general performance as well.

ISee

That's awesome man, thanks for that! My 980 is heavily OC'd, so I reckon that should do it! It's annoying how benchmarkers make out its unplayable at 30 fps, when console players are doing just fine. Irritating, same old debate I guess.

You're welcome. A rare dip to 28/27 fps for a second or two isn't a big deal in my book, but the consoles are doing way worse (longer segments running at low twenties) + mixed low/medium settings.
And keep in mind, I didn't max out godrays, as they really cost a lot of performance on ultra and I even doubt that you'll be able to hold a steady 30fps with ultra godrays. Going from high to ultra godrays cost you around 20% performance, which can make the difference during a firefight in a 'bad performance' area.
Do not want to make you 980 look bad, but just want to point out why some benchmark claim that steady 30 in 4k on ultra settings aren't possible on a 980.

AMDFX 350
AMD Radeon R7 265
16 GB DR3
Windows 10 Pro

Running all settings @ HIGH
Resolution @ 1920x1080

Average - 40-50
Max - 60 (it's capped I think?^)
Minimum - 35 (maybe 38)

Blitzhex

Switching from a WD Caviar Black to a Samsung EVO 850 made a massive difference in load times. Went from 30-40 seconds initial load time to 3-4. I'm going to play more and see if it affects general performance as well.

Did the same, this game belongs on a ssd, but it didn't change pop-in stuff too much.

KKRT00

Techspot: Fallout 4: Graphics & CPU Performance

Fallout 4 isn't particularly heavy on system memory, using less than 4GB of RAM for the most part, and it is also light on VRAM using a little over 2GB at 1080p. Interestingly, however, Intel's Core processors benefit massively when paired with high-speed memory in Fallout 4, as we saw minimum frame rates increase by almost 70% when going from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-2400.
Oh fuck. I have three memory sticks [4+4+8], so i'm not running in dual channel mode. I wonder if thats decreasing my minimum performance. Or if You are running in around 45fps it doesnt matter at all.
GPU utilization is still 99% for me though, so i shouldnt be limited by RAM.

Everything was fine earlier but something really fucked up has happened. I'm now getting terrible performance (fluctuating between 26-29fps) and it doesnt matter what res or settings I select its all the same... Something is going on, any ideas?

Coroner

Banned
Wow borderless fullscreen completely fixed the micro stutter issue for me!

Also I really hope people find out how to get HBAO properly working, the in game SSAO is pretty bad.

UPDATE on this issue.

I am SHOCKED I have not seen more people complain about this. It breaks the combat in 3rd person when using a controller to the point of being unplayable!!

I have confirmed that KCroxtonJr is 100% correct in what causes this issue. And I do not think it can be fixed without Bethesda patching it.

10-20 Showing the freeze. Note at all time the right stick is pushed so that the camera should constantly move, but whenever the left stick is pushed it freezes for a moment.

20-30 Shows how extreme it can be while playing. In this example I am HOLDING the right stick all the way to the right, it should spin constantly, however it freezes every time the left stick is moved!

35-40 Shows how it does not happen if you push the left stick all the way so your character moves fast.

The issue is also present with mouse and keyboard when CAPS is on to lock walking/slow movement.
Yeah I haven't seen too many people talk about this issue, but it seems to be more and more lately. I posted on Beth forums which I got a few people replying saying they have the same issue, even someone saying the problem exists on consoles as well.

I updated my original post and bumped the topic at the Beth forums, and linked your video in the original post, hope you don't mind.

I also sent the issue to their tech support, but all they did was send some bullshit copy paste reply giving me links to solutions for common issues, and then saying post on the forums if you need to.

You're welcome. A rare dip to 28/27 fps for a second or two isn't a big deal in my book, but the consoles are doing way worse (longer segments running at low twenties) + mixed low/medium settings.
And keep in mind, I didn't max out godrays, as they really cost a lot of performance on ultra and I even doubt that you'll be able to hold a steady 30fps with ultra godrays. Going from high to ultra godrays cost you around 20% performance, which can make the difference during a firefight in a 'bad performance' area.
Do not want to make you 980 look bad, but just want to point out why some benchmark claim that steady 30 in 4k on ultra settings aren't possible on a 980.

No prob, I'll just dial godrays down then, did you have any AA enabled at all?

alexbull_uk

Performance so for for me has been good.

i5-3570K @ 4.3GHz
OC'd Nvidia GTX 780
16GB 1600MHz RAM

Put it on Ultra, then dropped God-rays to low (can't tell any difference) and put shadow distance to high. Worst so far has been about 52fps - but for 99% of the game it's a solid 60fps at 1920x1080.

I had some stuttering to begin with, where the game was 60fps but it felt juddery - so I put it in borderless window mode and that stopped immediately.

UPDATE on this issue.

I've been playing the game in 3rd person mode with a gamepad since the beginning and haven't encountered these issue, except the random slight pause when I'm not using my gun.

owasog

Interesting, this might explain why the drops felt pretty bad on my PC.

I might try overclocking my RAM again to 1600, I had dropped it due to long-standing issues with stability on my PC along with some other things, and I've never bothered bumping it back up again.
Same. My RAM was unstable in XMP mode (1600Mhz) so I dropped it down to 1333Mhz. Maybe I should try 1600Mhz again (with some more volts to make it stable).

It makes sense though that main memory turns out to be the bottleneck, because the framerate drops in Diamond City happen when CPU/GPU usage is less than 100%.

So here is the deal. My wife gets a great deal on computers from Dell through her work. My old PC is about 6 years old now and so it was time to get a new one. I am 35 years old now and so I have about half the available time for games as I used to. So, I had her order me a new Dell XPS 8900. I know they are expensive and dumb, but I didn't want to spend a weekend building a new PC on my own.
Specs-
i7-6700
16 gigs DDR4 @ 2133 mHz
GTX 745 4GB
1TB HD

I just hooked it up last night and updated everything. I know the video card is nothing special and I plan on putting a 970 or 980 in later. I am downloading Fallout right now and thanks to my baller internet it will be up and running in 20 minutes. I will report back with results.

Jedi2016

So I asked this before and didn't really get a clear answer: Do the NVidia game ready drivers actually improve performance?

Yes, yes, I know, it breaks Gsync, blah blah blah, that's not what I'm asking. Assuming that I'm not using any of the stuff that it breaks, is there actually any advantage whatsoever to using the new drivers? Because it's running pretty well for me already (given my system, possibly because I'm already running 1600MHz RAM, per the previous few posts), and I haven't updated the drivers yet.

bomblord1

Banned
So here is the deal. My wife gets a great deal on computers from Dell through her work. My old PC is about 6 years old now and so it was time to get a new one. I am 35 years old now and so I have about half the available time for games as I used to. So, I had her order me a new Dell XPS 8900. I know they are expensive and dumb, but I didn't want to spend a weekend building a new PC on my own.
Specs-
i7-6700
16 gigs DDR4 @ 2133 mHz
GTX 745 4GB
1TB HD

I just hooked it up last night and updated everything. I know the video card is nothing special and I plan on putting a 970 or 980 in later. I am downloading Fallout right now and thanks to my baller internet it will be up and running in 20 minutes. I will report back with results.

I doubt you could physically fit either of those cards in a pre-built dell.

dtcm83

Wow borderless fullscreen completely fixed the micro stutter issue for me!

Also I really hope people find out how to get HBAO properly working, the in game SSAO is pretty bad.

Just started the game last night, 3570k+970+8GB RAM DDR3 1600, mechanical HDD. Initially had stuttering on fullscreen mode, so switched to borderless fullscreen and stuttering is gone.

Locked 60fps 99% of the time with shadows on high, shadow distance on high, god rays on low, everything else maxed. Have yet to make it to diamond city, hoping for no major fps drops there like others are experiencing.

Thinking maybe it's time to upgrade my steam harddrive with an SSD.

owasog

Wow, overclocking your RAM really does work!
Stock 3570K, GTX 970. In Diamond City, looking at the market from the elevator, 2:00PM:

1333Mhz: 47fps
1600Mhz: 54fps

The framerate scales almost linearly with RAM clockspeed!!!!

Somehow managed to get rid of all stutter for a smooth experience then my screen saver kicked in and it all went back to shit again. Resetting the PC now and reformatting the hard disc.

roytheone

So, I have a really weird bug in this game. Whenever the game drops from 60 fps to 30 (which tends to happen in cities) the game feels like it runs in slow motion. Sure, 30 fps is less fluent then 60, but it shouldn't suddenly run in slow motion, that isn't correct, right?

komorebi

So, I have a really weird bug in this game. Whenever the game drops from 60 fps to 30 (which tends to happen in cities) the game feels like it runs in slow motion. Sure, 30 fps is less fluent then 60, but it shouldn't suddenly run in slow motion, that isn't correct, right?

Did you add that iFPSClamp command? If so get rid of that shit.

KKRT00

Wow, overclocking your RAM really does work!
Stock 3570K, GTX 970. In Diamond City, looking at the market from the elevator, 2:00PM:

1333Mhz: 47fps
1600Mhz: 54fps

The framerate scales almost linearly with RAM clockspeed!!!!

Were You fully GPU limited, so at 99% utilization, earlier before overclocking RAM?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can anyone suggest a tool that will record FPS? I'm using MSI Afterbuner w/Rivatuner which is fine but in MSI it only shows me a graph of FPS for a certain amount of time.

I want something that shows me low/average/high and from start to stop instead of the last x sec/mins.

I just want to see how stable my framerate is while playing instead of always alt+tab'ing.

Top Bottom