• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Pete Hines Defends His “Solid 30 FPS” Comment...

Radec

What are you talking about? Skyrim on the PS3 is great!

hines_1y4ak2.png

hines_2wrble.png

Haha, holy shit.

No wonder he's all down on Fallout 4.

Is he a Bethesda PR?

What a shit show this game is.

Anecdotally I am having a great time with it

It most definitely has the same level of Jank we see from EVERY single game built on this engine

They dont know how to fix it and likely wont bother

Probably too complex. They need whatever comes next to be far more reliable and simple to build from

Between reading this and the jim sterling thread, I have to wonder why video games bring with them so Much personal drama lately. It sucks the game doesnt run that great but honestly, its not worth tmz style twitter wars.

I think the FO4 release is interesting for Bethesda. I think devs are realizing delivering a game is quite different than consumers receiving a game. FO4 probably wouldn't be having such the backlash it's currently experiencing had their been better expectation management by the devs and their PR machine.

I don't sympathize with them at all. They have, for more than a few of their titles now, released some pretty buggy games while being pretty stubborn about admitting that. These games don't exist in a vacuum. People who bring up The Witcher 3 are correct. TW3 is a great looking game with an engaging, emotional story and tons of fun side quests to boot. CDPR tenaciously released patch after patch so now it runs great on every platform. Their PR machine handled a lot of feedback with class. This is the new standard, this is now what consumers expect (and rightly deserve).

What will Bethesda do? What will the state of FO4 be in the months to come? I gotta say, if prior behavior is the best predictor for future behavior, I'm not optimistic.

Vinland

Banned
But it´s not a buggy mess. It is only unoptimized for the most part. I think some effects tanking the frame rate really hard like smokes and explosions on PS4. See DF

Congratulations, you have discovered the definition of a buggy mess sir.

mclem

They should have dropped down the resolution to 900p because your TV shows it in 1080p anyway.

I would be surprised if this game was GPU-limited. Which isn't to say it isn't, but it's somewhat more likely that the CPU is the limiting factor, and if thats the case, a resolution change wouldn't make all that much difference.

Actually, can't you force the resolution lower and see if that has an impact? I wonder if it can use lower-resolution render targets if you change the console settings. That would confirm my theory one way or another.

Tobor

I'm just glad I didn't listen to the hyperbole about how bad this game is on console. I'm playing it on PS4 and having a great time. Jim Sterling was right.

iNvid02

Haha, holy shit.

No wonder he's all down on Fallout 4.

Is he a Bethesda PR?

pete hines has been bethesda's pr for ages, i dont understand why everyone is so upset here, hes never going to publicly tarnish his company's products, he probably knows articles and threads will pop up saying "even bethesda PR admits FO4 is a shitshow!" as soon as he does that.

he knows its better if he gets targeted for his BS (everyone knows skyrim on PS3 was ass), rather than admitting to their game's shortcomings resulting in threads and articles popping up questioning quality of bethesda games with his quotes front and center.

we get a good laugh out of pr blunders and mishaps, but he has too much experience and knows what hes doing

Congratulations, you have discovered the definition of a buggy mess sir.
A 'buggy mess' usually describes the game functioning incorrectly, often unrelated to performance. You can have a game that never wavers from 60fps that is still a buggy mess. It's possible that some performance issues are caused by specific bugs, but it's more likely in need of more optimisation as barit says.

Yeah playing the game on ps4 and when I am inside a building the FPS drop is noticeable. Eg;
in a earlier mission where you have to clear out an assembly factory of raiders. When you engage the Raiders they use molotov grenades. And the FPS I think drops to low 10s to single digit.....
might return the ps4 version and get pc instead. Can a gtx 760 run this game?

Drifters

So, why is every fucking game coming out in this day an age marred by shit like this? I can't understand what development cycle these devs are adhering to in order to make games under perform like this.

Percy

Banned
Clearly the problem is with those guys' hard drives or whatever that dumb defense force mantra that's been so regular in recent days is.

Console version of the game is clearly not a "solid 30fps" anywhere.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I haven't had any issues on my ps4 version.

It's amazing how there are always a bunch of people with magical consoles that exhibit none of the issues everyone else is seeing. Was the same with TW3 back when it was still running at 20 fps much of the time. For some people it was somehow perfectly fine. Amazing.

(I haven't played FO4, but I've seen the videos, and there are severe issues.)

Cleve

I see a few people saying the PC version is a mess. No one in my circles have had any issues outside of the standard gamebryo jank. Technically it's the least flawed bethesda game on release I've seen.

What are people seeing on pc?

Yeah playing the game on ps4 and when I am inside a building the FPS drop is noticeable. Eg;
in a earlier mission where you have to clear out an assembly factory of raiders. When you engage the Raiders they use molotov grenades. And the FPS I think drops to low 10s to single digit.....

Sure can. Might dial the settings down a bit depending on your preferences, but at least it's playable.

dmr87

Would love to be a fly on the wall when people like this play their games while not noticing any problems ever, just to see if they lie, just don't care or are completely ignorant.

Dineren

Banned
I see a few people saying the PC version is a mess. No one in my circles have had any issues outside of the standard gamebryo jank. Technically it's the least flawed bethesda game on release I've seen.

What are people seeing on pc?

I'm only a few hours in, but so far it has been pretty flawless with graphics maxed (aside from the godrays set to medium). I've heard the keyboard/mouse support is pretty bad, but I am playing with an xbox one controller.

Of course Bethesda games don't usually start falling to pieces until you get more hours in, so I can't say it will stay solid throughout.

Im sending the xbox one version back to amazon im running it on my 660ti locked 30fps at 1080p mixed high/ultra with shadows on medium and low light rays. I also have an outdated cpu with a i7940 at like 2.93ghz i think you should be fine.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It's true, Bethesda has nothing to do with the lack of quality. Stupid PS4, work faster!

You understood it backwards. You don't expect quality performance of Bethesda games on consoles, specially on Sony consoles (never forget New Vegas 0 FPS).

antitrop

Played 5 hours on PS4 last night. Framerate was generally bad, definitely affects playability. I had to use VATS more often than I would have if it was solid 30.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You understood it backwards. You don't expect quality performance of Bethesda games on consoles, specially on Sony consoles (never forget New Vegas 0 FPS).

But that was due to them not being able to handle the PS3's unconventional CPU and split memory pool (the latter was the main reason for the freezing, I believe). The PS4 has none of these issues (weak CPU notwithstanding), so there's no particular reason to expect unreasonably bad performance there. And behold, it also doesn't exhibit the momentary freezing the XBO version (with a much slower main memory pool) does. Bad framerate though, yeah.

Edit: Although, the freezing clearly has to do with slow HDD reads, so probably not a memory thing in this case. It's weird that the XBO has these issues and the PS4 doesn't. Is the stock XBO HDD really that much slower? They're both 5400 rpm drives AFAIK.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If only media outlets and reviewers would collectively not accept shit like this and dock review points.

A game of this profile coming down by 10 or 20 in meta score for technical issues would send signals to other big publishers that this simply isn't acceptable.

Massive shame the industry has no backbone to do this. Please continue picking and choosing which publishers and series you let slide with this shit.

Haha, that's hilarious! Good one!

Yeah I know, sad, don't want to lose their freebies.

GlamFM

Banned
ITT People seem to have no idea what a PR / marketing guy does.

Seriously, it´s his job - no scandal here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ITT People seem to have no idea what a PR / marketing guy does.

Seriously, it´s his job - no scandal here.

His job is to outright lie, then lie about his lie, and be disingenuous doing it?

He fails at PR then. If you are going to lie, at least pretend like you care with a smile.

Nobody said there was a scandal at all. Who said that in here? The elephant is in the room. Pure arrogance and fuck you we sell anyway even if this shit is less than expected quality of almost 2016. Fix our game for us modders and .ini tweakers, ktnx.

Seems pretty cut and dry. The dude is a dick, and his company supports his behavior. Shows what they think about their consumers, really.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What are you talking about? Skyrim on the PS3 is great!

hines_1y4ak2.png

hines_2wrble.png
The Fallout 4 comments are silly on his part, but in this case, surely you can see where this comment comes from. I mean, Skyrim *WAS* fine on PS3 until you've played for a very lengthy period of time after which things start to get progressively worse until it's unplayable. Right out of the gate, it's not bad, and it stays fine for a long long time.

The problem is exactly the same as Morrowind on the original Xbox. The game never ran great but it was playable initially. The more hours you put in, though, the worse it gets. After you've played for a long time the game becomes almost unplayable with single digit frame-rates and load times that literally last upwards of 5-6 minutes.

They have a real history of this stuff.

I do think he's being disingenuous here, though, as Fallout issues crop up very quickly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bullshit is strong with this one.

It is actually my opinion with how their PR handles questions and responds to their consumers. If I feel this way as a consumer, you can't tell me otherwise. Sorry not sorry, how I feel, as well as others I am sure feel bothers you.

The Fallout 4 comments are silly on his part, but in this case, surely you can see where this comment comes from. I mean, Skyrim *WAS* fine on PS3 until you've played for a very lengthy period of time after which things start to get progressively worse until it's unplayable. Right out of the gate, it's not bad, and it stays fine for a long long time.

The problem is exactly the same as Morrowind on the original Xbox. The game never ran great but it was playable initially. The more hours you put in, though, the worse it gets. After you've played for a long time the game becomes almost unplayable with single digit frame-rates and load times that literally last upwards of 5-6 minutes.

They have a real history of this stuff.

I do think he's being disingenuous here, though, as Fallout issues crop up very quickly.

It's very much disingenuous. How us it that Digital Foundry spends a week with a game and finds bugs Bethesda supposedly haven't run across in 4+ years of development? Nobody in that entire span of time - from developers to QA - played the PS3 version of Skyrim to completion? They never crossed the 50 hour mark once? It's either development/testing incompetence or they were lying.

I played for six hours yesterday on the Xbox One and not once did I run into any issues.

I may have blinked and missed if something did happen.

GlamFM

Banned
I always though promote a game with false informations was illegal...no?

Lying is more or less everything in advertising, no?

When your game runs at 30 most of the time just say runs at 30. Easy. PR.

Point me towards an ad for a car that goes : "Our car is pretty mediocre - buy it anyway!"

You´re expecting standards from a PR guy that a journalist should have.

SirNinja

If only media outlets and reviewers would collectively not accept shit like this and dock review points.
That's exactly what they did, though. Quite a few reviews gave it an 8-9 and either outright said or heavily implied it would have been a 9-10 if not for the bugs and/or performance issues. Many critics have come down harder on this game than they ever did for Skyrim, whose PS3 version actually was a technical trainwreck.

He either doesn't care about technical issues, or is ignorant to them, both of which are awful traits for anyone involved in game development.

Studios need to be trying to improve performance, not brush shortcomings aside.

Putty

I'm about 7 hrs in and can hand on heart say I've noticed barely any drops.....PS4 version. I usually very good st spotting so....take that how you will.

Cheech

So, why is every fucking game coming out in this day an age marred by shit like this? I can't understand what development cycle these devs are adhering to in order to make games under perform like this.

It's really not. You have these negative circle jerks, where people make the games out to be far worse than they are in reality. It's just an echo chamber of shit, which is far too easy to do anonymously on a forum such as this.

Sure, there are exceptions; Halo MCC was a legit unplayable piece of crap. The new Batman on PC as well. But those are still the exception rather than the rule.

Arkeband

Banned
I stopped giving money to Bethesda after the bug fest known as Morrowind prevented me from finishing the game.

The memory leaks only became insurmountable for me during Tribunal. No matter how many steps I walked after leaving this one house, my game would crash to desktop.

Their official forum moderators told us a fix was on the way, but a few months later after silence, their website's splash intro had a big, ominous IV.

Sorry not sorry, Morrowind players! We've moved on!

Futurematic

I was making fun of everyone that gives Bethesda a free pass, which includes everybody that says not to play their games on consoles.

Stupid internet, be funnier :).

Top Bottom