• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other images are okay I guess but the last one with the landscape is pretty bad. Meh I will hold most judgement till it's running on my rig, will be playing day 0. The character models though are straight up a way better improvement and better than I'd expect from Bethesda because even Skyrim was horrid with character models.

Superficial about what, this is not a person, it's a game you may want to purchase or not based on any reason you prescribe. There are standards for graphics in 2015....

Yet people want to blame the hardware, I hope this is running at 120fps....
I commented on "standards" for graphics in a later post if that interests you.

Durante

A bit disappointing.

I guarantee the the gamma settings are completely borked in these shots though (gone crazy with the brightness slider perhaps?), making it look MUCH worse.

The dogs shadow is a milky grey for example. I wouldnt use these to judge how it will look on your TV.
I agree that the gamma is broken on these shots, but that won't change the abysmal draw distance, or LOD, or shadowing.

Are we sure we're not being trolled by the 7th and 8th pictures? I feel like someone added a couple fallout 3 pictures just to mess with us.
That would actually be some next level trolling!

It's actually significantly worse draw distance/lod wise on the landscape shots.

Nzyme32

Is this 60fps or is there some other reason it looks comparable if not worse than AC4 and MGSV?

1080p 30fps on both consoles apparently. Some are saying this was a cross-gen game originally, others are blaming the engine they are using. No idea

That is one fucking ugly game, my goodness. For people into games like this, there seems to be no reason at all to buy this game day 1. That includes PC gamers, mods are what made Skyrim bearable and mods of note won't get cranked out within a week. I've only played Skyrim and it was decent at best but as someone like that will play the game on PS4, I'll try it this time next year.

I'd love to know whom in Bethesda has decided to stick with the same shitty engine year after year after year. At this point it's gotta be the developers that are probably too comfortable with the engine and can't be fucked to move to another. I SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY doubt Bethesda are not giving Howard whatever budget he wants, this will be a game that will sell 10 million by years end. Just so shit looking, it's hilarious to think that this is basically the only AAA game which comes to mind where the community basically accept that the mod community will fix it over time.

Denton

It's like no one in this thread has played a Bethesda game before. My god the vanity.

1) Oblivion, Skyrim and Morrowind were all fairly impressive when they came out, even if Oblivion in particular was cut down from prerelease marketing

2) Asking for higher standards from the most financially successful RPG development studio in history is logical and A Good Thing

Zemm

HVtIOXZ.jpg

good god that's ugly. Looks about as bad as I expected.

That is one fucking ugly game, my goodness. For people into games like this, there seems to be no reason at all to buy this game day 1. That includes PC gamers, mods are what made Skyrim bearable and mods of note won't get cranked out within a week. I've only played Skyrim and it was decent at best but as someone like that will play the game on PS4, I'll try it this time next year.

Yeah, I mean, other than to play and enjoy it...

Denton

Can someone translate what is actually at the bottom of the screen, inventory function wise:

I don't know but that must the the ugliest fucking interface I have ever seen, Bethesda is outdoing themselves here. Everything right down to the choice of font looks ugly as sin.

Fallout games were never lookers, I don't know why people are surprised it doesn't look impressive technically.

Yeah, I'm wondering if I somehow stepped into an alternate universe where Fallout games weren't ugly as fuck on every platform.

Nobody is acting surprised, rather disappointed and mad about the fact that Bethesda didn't change anything in that regard.

Also, Oblivion looked great when it launched.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
we already have huge open world games on ps4
the witcher, mgsv. and they dont look like that

Hell, GTA5 which was a last-gen game, looks a generation ahead of this.

Nobody is acting surprised, rather disappointed and mad about the fact that Bethesda didn't change anything in that regard.

Pretty much. I know I will enjoy it. And with how it looks, it better be super locked at 30, silky smooth.

Kolx

I'm ok with the graphics but how is this game only 30fps on PS4? Bethesda engine and optimization are a joke. They need to get their shit together.

How far can you modify an engine before it's not considered the original engine any longer?

Source is a branch of GoldSrc which is a branch of idtech 1.

I would consider Source pretty darn different in a lot of ways from idtech 1... but surprisingly similar in others (hammer editor and the way lighting is done).

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this looks rough, it's still gonna sell millions and get a 90+ metacritic score but man it looks rough. I think this is one the times where kinda i regret having a PS4 instead of a high end PC.

GHG

Seeing those screenshots I wonder how cut down will Kingdom Come have to become to run on consoles

It will still look good no doubt. The Cryengine scales well.

I have to say these screens do not look great. Pardon me for being "superficial" in a screenshot thread.

Bethesda really needed to build a brand new engine for this generation. If not, then at least licence an engine ready made for this generation FFS.

How people are satisfied with this and are defending this I really don't know. It doesn't even run at 60fps.

lazygecko

Fallout games were never lookers, I don't know why people are surprised it doesn't look impressive technically.

For being 97-98 2D RPGs, they looked pretty nice at the time with well animated characters. They've certainly aged a lot more gracefully than the 3D Fallouts. Same with Fallout Tactics from 2001 which used the same 2D style but with higher resolution art and better lighting effecs and such.

Fractal

Banned
Aye, that's ugly... but then again, F3 and NV weren't exactly lookers in their time either. In any case, I believe a PC version and some good mods will produce a serviceable result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom