• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, doesn't look too hot.

But we all knew that was going to happen. Shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

Having said that, ps4 day 1.

Durante

Holy shit...
I mean it's kind of impressive how far they have come but..
That is beyon my mind how they can use such an awful engine for such a long time :D

EDIT:

NVM maybe it's because of the modding scene?
Would make sense won't it?
It's certainly true that there isn't any other engine which handles multiple gameplay and world mods as well as theirs. Credit where credit is due.

7 years.

fallout32010-05-0909-lus28.jpg

HVtIOXZ.jpg
I've got one as well (2009-04-19 it says):
fallout3-2009-12-04-198cc2.jpg

Blobbers

So Dogmeat's official name is Hablar. Not sure how I feel about that. Other than that, these screens look pretty much the same as the promo ones.

neoism

I will still be playing this day one and love every second of it.. it does look a lot better than the older games people just really must've forgotten how shitty fallout 3 looked on Xbox.

Irobot82

So is there higher res textures for the PC or something? Didn't skyrim do that? Everything looks so blurry.

I can't f'ing stand seeing pixels in my f'ing textures. FUCK! It's 2015 already! That desk looks like a hot pile of shit.

Will consoles be getting the inevitable ENB mods?

LOL None. ENB ran outside of the game. Also no mods that will use script extenders. Console mods will be very limited.

1h1zJ0h.jpg

Just look at that. So glad PC can mod this.

Denton

Wut

People think this looks ugly?

Game looks great. Way better than I was expecting

I don't get it. Did you see the pics on a monitor and not a phone? How it lacks shadows, AO, how low res textures are, how low poly models are, how poor the LoD is ?
I mean, these are objective things.

Looks like shit, but base bethesda games have never looked beyond that for their generations. Skyrim looked decent in wide shots, but up close was very rough indeed.
I stilll think the initial oblivion reveal looked rather visually great for its time. Then they took the nerf stick to it.
https://archive.org/details/BethesdaSoftworksTheElderScrollsIVOblivion20MinuteReveal_2

Around 1:19. Look at when he sheaths the sword at 2:09 as well... oblivion never ended up looking like that for some reason.

Can we expect graphical mods on consoles that can "solve" this? or only gameplay mods?

Mods will no doubt be very limited on consoles. The reason the graphical mods on pc works is that the hardware is often that much more powerful, than what Bethesda had in mind when making the games with consoles in focus. So even if there is these visual mods, it will destroy the performance.

diamount

Banned
how does that metric work exactly? (im not impressed by the graphics but I think it looks fine for a Fallout game).

Just saying graphically the game looks very poor indeed, artstyle wise maybe - but not seeing much of that with a bunch of dilapidated buildings. Poor textures, draw distance, shadow quality. If someone just got off playing Witcher 3 they will be quite disappointed that the PS4 is not really being utilised.

Carn82

Lets hope the characters / animations / certain effects got a nice improvement; I guess that could be a fair tradeoff with the non-that-impressive world- and enviromental assets.

For a PS4 version of a Bethesda game it looks pretty darn good. Image quality seems nice, and even though it's lacking in some graphical flourishes it certainly has a nice art style. Nice to see consoles seem to get a quality version, at least on the surface.

Denton

It's certainly true that there isn't any other engine which handles multiple gameplay and world mods as well as theirs. Credit where credit is due.

I've got one as well (2009-04-19 it says):
fallout3-2009-12-04-198cc2.jpg

I think the people who are impressed by these FO4 screens never saw the PC version of Fallout 3. No other explanation.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We'll see next week, I'm pretty confident in my prediction guys, swing round the review thread if you want to eat crow.

You sound like the prime example of a person who is going to have a complete meltdown when reviews aren't unanimously gushing.

Durante

Yeah, I expect gamplay mods to mostly make the jump to console without too many issues (as long as they don't require anything like a script extender, which was quite common for more extensive ones on PC). Graphical mods, not so much.

Carn82

Just saying graphically the game looks very poor indeed, artstyle wise maybe - but not seeing much of that with a bunch of dilapidated buildings. Poor textures, draw distance, shadow quality. If someone just got off playing Witcher 3 they will be quite disappointed that the PS4 is not really being utilised.

well, compared to something like W3 it won't look that much better on a nice PC (except the obvious improvements in resolution, framerate, filtering, etc). Like you said, a lot of it comes down on design (and choice in engine), and in my opinion Bethesda designs some ugly games. But theyre fun so I ll gladly play them :)

Jito

Banned
You sound like the prime example of a person who is going to have a complete meltdown when reviews aren't unanimously gushing.

Haha nah, I'll skim the reviews for scores to stick in peoples faces (like those two, maybe you as well) then save the game for myself on the 11th.

diamount

Banned
Lets hope the characters / animations / certain effects got a nice improvement; I guess that could be a fair tradeoff with the non-that-impressive world- and enviromental assets.

I just hope the writing has improved a little. I can deal with everything else being mediocre.

Bl@de

Compared to the Witcher 3 this looks ugly (when comparing console versions, PC is another thing). Didn't expect anything else from Bethesda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom