• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Speculation Thread - Graphic talk elsewhere please.

If they really are going ahead with giving the Player Character a voice (instead of the one we heard just being a thing for the trailer), then I presume they'll give you a selection of voices to choose from in the character creator, male/female, maybe younger/older. It'd be really shitty if there's only one voice per gender.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the PC having a voice. I think no voice works better for role playing purposes, which is one of my favorite parts of these games.

Cornbread78

I think we'll see Mass, Maine and New Hampshire. I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC's go further into New England.

My hope is we get a DLC going into New Bruinswick, or Nova Scotia.

Man, if this game has locales from NH, I'll be forced to buy it just for that since I live on the NH/MA border about 45 mins oputta Boston. Now, I'll have to read everything to see how much they screw about the area, lol.

8byte

Banned
Is anyone else hoping there will be a nice chunk gameplay that takes place before the fallout?

Those lush 1950s set pieces and all those colors...PLEASE!

Great disclaimer re: no graphics chat

Given that it looks like Boston but it also features wasteland/desert type landscape, would it be safe to say multiple locations? I don't really know Boston, and I suppose it could also be the devastation left by bombs as to the wasteland/desert area?

There are many rural towns across Massachusetts, it's not all just urban cities.

Fjordson

It's probably taking place in The Commonwealth, meaning Massachusetts in general, and not just Boston. Kinda like what the Vegas strip was to New Vegas.

I will be pleasantly surprised if this hits early 2016

Can we expect the kind of gameplay from New Vegas, or will Bethesda (or whoever "main" developer did FO3) ignore those features?

Sort of like how Infinity Ward would ignore Treyarch's COD games.

ezekial45

Banned
Here's an old mock-up of a possible map for F4 last year.

M1uWMUv.jpg

Any MASS resident want to chime in based on what they saw? Let's get more speculation going.

TheXbox

This is definitely a stretch but if this were a 2016 game, wouldn't they have dropped that shoe in this first trailer? I think they're either saving it for the press conference (late 15/early 16) or this game is not coming out for a long ass time.

You are crazy.

I remember accidentally stumbling into the Death Claw's lair without knowing where the fuck I was. I had Boon and Rex with me at the time, so it wasn't too bad. I somehow managed to climb up on a rock where the Death Claws couldn't reach me and camped their letting Boon and Rex do the dirty work. I think there were three or four Death Claws trying to get me and it took Boon a while to kill them off for me. I will never forget the moment they chased me before getting on top of a rock.

Well it's not like I play Hardcore mode, Veronica & ED-E were merely unconscious. Also, I killed the Deathclaw Mother by hiding on an outcropping where it couldn't get me, that little hilly area down the center. Then I used a 10 mm Sub-Machine gun to pinprick it to death. I stole the eggs on her corpse and ran .... and I ran so far away!!!

Your story is excellent too, btw

The family in the trailer are fluff and will have nothing to do with the protagonist of F4. It's like speculating who the guy in the power armor is in F3 or the guy in the ranger duster in New Vegas. It's just setting tone.

The family in the trailer are fluff and will have nothing to do with the protagonist of F4. It's like speculating who the guy in the power armor is in F3 or the guy in the ranger duster in New Vegas. It's just setting tone.
Well it has matched the leaks so far. They may be your parents.

MattyG

Banned
I think we'll see Mass, Maine and New Hampshire. I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC's go further into New England.

My hope is we get a DLC going into New Bruinswick, or Nova Scotia.
I hope we do see Maine, only because I live here. It'd be amazing to see my state in a Fallout game.

Daria

I just want a couple things.

1. Female protagonist option
2. a large open city with more than Boston to explore from launch
3. good FPS mechanics, please. I haven't played it but maybe Wolfenstein style? I hear it was good.

i just hope its as good as fallout 3

in the future i dont want people talking like "FO4 was a good game but it was no FO3"

im afraid of this

Recall

I just want a couple things.

1. Female protagonist option
2. a large open city with more than Boston to explore from launch
3. good FPS mechanics, please. I haven't played it but maybe Wolfenstein style? I hear it was good.

Female has been confirmed due to voice acting cast. Fallout 3 and New Vegas let you make either Male or female characters do I can't see that changing.

Linkhero1

Well it's not like I play Hardcore mode, Veronica & ED-E were merely unconscious. Also, I killed the Deathclaw Mother by hiding on an outcropping where it couldn't get me, that little hilly area down the center. Then I used a 10 mm Sub-Machine gun to pinprick it to death. I stole the eggs on her corpse and ran .... and I ran so far away!!!

Your story is excellent too, btw

I meant for going into their territory at such a low level. :p

I've "sacrificed" Boon and Rex so many times so it doesn't bother me that you threw them in harms way lmao.

I'm hoping the companions in this game are as good if not better than New Vegas.

Daria

Female has been confirmed due to voice acting cast. Fallout 3 and New Vegas let you make either Male or female characters do I can't see that changing.

do they? I haven't touched either one in years so I forgot. I hope the development time does this game right

Fjordson

This is definitely a stretch but if this were a 2016 game, wouldn't they have dropped that shoe in this first trailer? I think they're either saving it for the press conference (late 15/early 16) or this game is not coming out for a long ass time.
I think it could be late this year or early '16 at the latest. It's been in development for a while now. And I remember Todd Howard saying before they announced Skyrim that they wanted to wait closer to release to announce it. That was about 11 months between announcement and release so hopefully this will be April-May of next year at worst.

Recall

do they? I haven't touched either one in years so I forgot. I hope the development time does this game right

Yes. You can make either male or female, they even have perks tied to your gender. For example in New Vegas you can take a perk that does extra damage against enemies of the opposite sex.

BLunted

Banned
All right, went through the HQ vid and made some screens

Thought the guys in the first picture were Brotherhood soldiers at first glance, but looking at their movement and what they're wearing makes me believe they're supermutants. FEV found its way to the Commonwealth. Deathclaws are another FEV byproduct.

Yeah, pretty sure those are super mutants by the way they were lumbering around.

Daria

Yes. You can make either male or female, they even have perks tied to your gender. For example in New Vegas you can take a perk that does extra damage against enemies of the opposite sex.

Huh. I need to find a GOTY copy of Fallout 3 again because I don't remember anything lol. are there any quests or whatnot besides perks that were gender specific?

I hope they ditched the point system when leveling up and went with skyrims natural progression system.

What I mean by that is, if i want to get better at the energy weapons, I have to use those weapons more.

If I want a higher science, then I'd have to hack more terminals, craft more science recipes.

Having your character naturally be better at what ever playstyle you play the game with.

I just hope the story and quests are an improvement over FO3, that game did not gel with me at all in the writing department. Cautiously optimistic, but of course I'll play it for new Fallout.

DeviantBoi

Bethesda has an E3 press conference this year, right?

Why not save this to close the conference? It would have probably brought down NeoGAF.

How can they top this? I don't think a release date of 2015 would be as big as a surprise reveal of Fallout 4 would have been.

Can you imagine a new Elder Scrolls game announced? That would be huge.

I hope they ditched the point system when leveling up and went with skyrims natural progression system.

What I mean by that is, if i want to get better at the energy weapons, I have to use those weapons more.

If I want a higher science, then I'd have to hack more terminals, craft more science recipes.

Having your character naturally be better at what ever playstyle you play the game with.

Ok I'm sorry but shut up! Please don't say such terrible things!
Don't listen to him Todd, he's wrong!! Kepp the F3/New Vegas skill points system

Good god Skyrim was so tedious with that system... ughhh

RPGCrazied

Looks like something happens to your baby. Or you are the baby all grown up after the events? Who knows. I hope its a little bit more story driven than 3, wasn't much story other than go find your dad.

Recall

Huh. I need to find a GOTY copy of Fallout 3 again because I don't remember anything lol. are there any quests or whatnot besides perks that were gender specific?

New Vegas let you approach quests in different ways due to gender. For example you can use your female charms to complete a quest one way, while the male character doesn't have that option. But it usually came down to your skill points and having enough points in a stat.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Not really hot with speaking protagonist to be honest. Hopefully it's just for the trailer only.

Also hopefully that reddit leak about no female protag is false. I want to become an evil female overlord damnit.

I wish they would find a better balance between fighting with and without VATS.

The last two games I've felt like fighting without VATS is pointless. It's just spray and pray and gun feel useless. I like VATS but fighting 90% + of the game in a stop and start all the time gets so old

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Looks like something happens to your baby. Or you are the baby all grown up after the events? Who knows. I hope its a little bit more story driven than 3, wasn't much story other than go find your dad.

Unless they hired on some really good writers I hope they don't try anything too overbearing/ambitious. They do world building and side quests rather well. Central plots not so much. Last thing I want is some shoddy main plot constantly shoved down my throat.

Red Hood

Banned
So (not counting the Kotaku leaks which may or may not be legit) we don't know the plot premise yet, right? I suppose we'll learn more at E3.

Top Bottom