• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Speculation Thread - Graphic talk elsewhere please.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Ok I'm sorry but shut up! Please don't say such terrible things!
Don't listen to him Todd, he's wrong!! Kepp the F3/New Vegas skill points system

Good god Skyrim was so tedious with that system... ughhh

Considering how broken the skill point and perk system was in F3, I don't think it would be that much of a downgrade.

They should just lift the system New Vegas had in place.

Fjordson

Looks like something happens to your baby. Or you are the baby all grown up after the events? Who knows. I hope its a little bit more story driven than 3, wasn't much story other than go find your dad.
I doubt it. Some of the trailer shots make it look like society is pretty far along, or at least as developed as past Fallouts. Would set this 84 years after the Great War at the earliest.

Unless...society somehow developed enough after the original great war to sort of resemble 50's America...and then there's a second apocalypse? Though I hope they don't go with that.

Don't listen to him Todd, he's wrong!! Kepp the F3/New Vegas skill points system

Man, I say whatever I feel like saying. Hope that skyrim system is in just to piss you off so you can go and complain, whine and moan.

DrRussian

I just hope that they make the story kinda like obsidian did in new vegas where there are more people to side with than just 2.

Red Hood

Banned

Why are people hating on Skyrim's natural progression? I don't understand, I mean it's not too unreasonable to assume that the more you use certain things, the more you efficiently use them. Please enlighten me, because I'm genuinely having my mind wrapped around it.

Considering how broken the skill point and perk system was in F3, I don't think it would be that much of a downgrade.

They should just lift the system New Vegas had in place.

F3 and New Vegas has the same skill point system but Guns & Big Guns just became Guns while a new Survival skill was added. Pretty minor but one perk every two levels did wonders from balance and the game only broke when the DLC's were released and you could easily make 100 in everything characters... which of course I did

Man, I say whatever I feel like saying. Hope that skyrim system is in just to piss you off so you can go and complain, whine and moan.

I hope so too, so I can torment you with my incessant whining... lol!

Why are people hating on Skyrim's natural progression? I don't understand, I mean it's not too unreasonable to assume that the more you use certain things, the more you efficiently use them. Please enlighten me, because I'm genuinely having my mind wrapped around it.

Most combat skills leveled fine. Stealth was a bit harder but still manageable. But my god, Alchemy, Smithing, Enchanting, Lockpicking, Illusion, DESTRUCTION, Conjuring were so goddamn hard and time consuming to level up, not to mention you always had to go look for the high level spells from the get go but never had enough Mana (not until a higher level at least) for them anyway. It was so bad that you had to find exploits and then grind grind grind to get anywhere. Then they removed the exploits like the Iron Dagger one for Smithing.

So to level up my Survival skill and get those skill checks in conversation I have to sit down and cook for hours? No thanks!

Recall

It was abusable in Skyrim, you could get sneak to 100 exceptionally quickly. Same went with blacksmithing with iron daggers. It was a fine system but not perfect, so with refinement it may be better.

I like Scrolls having one way and Fallout it's own though.

If they really are going ahead with giving the Player Character a voice (instead of the one we heard just being a thing for the trailer), then I presume they'll give you a selection of voices to choose from in the character creator, male/female, maybe younger/older. It'd be really shitty if there's only one voice per gender.

Besides Inquisition, has there been any big "AAA" budget RPG with character creation that's had more than one voice option per gender? Saint's Row had the multiple voice options but there weren't any dialogue choices there.

People seem to be tossing that around like it's no big deal to implement but I have a feeling that having multiple voices per gender is a really costly thing to do, in terms of writing and VO. Unless Bethesda is really shifting their approach, I don't see how a voiced PC greatly benefits the sort of open world exploration heavy games they make. If they're shifting to cutscene heavy narratives, then it might make sense I guess.

I can't imagine the shitstorm that would follow if they only had a fixed male PC though.

It was abusable in Skyrim, you could get sneak to 100 exceptionally quickly. Same went with blacksmithing with iron daggers. It was a fine system but not perfect, so with refinement it may be better.

I like Scrolls having one way and Fallout it's own though.
SPECIAL is uniquely Fallout. I'd prefer to keep the FO and TES systems separate.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
F3 and New Vegas has the same skill point system but Guns & Big Guns just became Guns while a new Survival skill was added. Pretty minor but one perk every two levels did wonders from balance and the game only broke when the DLC's were released and you could easily make 100 in everything characters... which of course I did

Except that New Vegas handled it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.

It wasn't pouring skill points on you like it was raining (and it didn't have those ridiculous "add 10 points to skill" books (they just add 3 or 4 with a perks, and there are fewer, way more reasonable). This way you can't really get to the endgame with EVERY skill at 100 like in Fallout 3.

Also, a perk every two levels, and not every level. And fewer "here, add another 10 points to that skill!" perk. Also more interesting perks.

It's much more balanced.

SPECIAL is uniquely Fallout. I'd prefer to keep the FO and TES systems separate.

That too. There are no base stats in Skyrim, just skills whereas Fallout is Base + Skills

Except that New Vegas handled it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.

It wasn't pouring skill points on you like it was raining (and it didn't have those ridiculous "add 10 points to skill" books (they just add 3 or 4 with a perks, and there are fewer, way more reasonable). This way you can't really get to the endgame with EVERY skill at 100 like in Fallout 3.

Also, a perk every two levels, and not every level. And fewer "here, add another 10 points to that skill!" perk. Also more interesting perks.

It's much more balanced.

Whole-heartedly agree. Skill books only give 3 points and you have to take a perk to push it to 4, made you think.

More in-depth crafting?

CGmSEe7W8AEZS8p.png

Awesome trailer... really enjoyed it and though the character models don't look as high res as some other games, I think the rest looks great (and don't mind).

What I take from the trailers (my guesses ):

• You play as the dog at some point
  • You are the baby and get to choose a sex when starting the game.
  • You might play as your parents to present the old world/how you were saved
  • Release between November - March (please be this year).

Anyway great stuff...nice to read up on the lore people are posting as though I completed FO3 100% I can't say I remember any of it.

Oh just realized something. If the FO4 Protag was in
cyrosleep.....why couldn't House use that?

If anything, I think House foreshadows this tech. House is basically in a custom cryo-stasis setup that preserves his brainmeat above all, and allows him to basically "lucid dream" and interact with the outside world at the cost of the rest of his body. The PC will likely be in a more traditional, "balanced" setup that preserves his physical well-being and apparent age at the cost of actually going under for 200+ years.

God so excited to drop into the world of Fallout 4 and Commonwealth controlled Boston.

It seems that they're going for cities that have large roles in the Fallout universe. Makes me wonder if after they cover the Commonwealth in Mass, they'll tackle the Mid-Western Commonwealth (I think they're former Brotherhood of Steel dudes) in Chicago and the surrounding area, or Toronto as a military power (a brief mention in The Pitt DLC)

Fjordson

Really don't think the baby has much to do with who you'll play as. Assuming this takes place after Fallout 3, that baby would be over 200 years old.

Daria

Really don't think the baby has much to do with who you'll play as. Assuming this takes place after Fallout 3, that baby would be over 200 years old.

(1) you are the baby, (2) you're the dad going to get items for your family and returning to Valut 111 (3) you're the baby who survives

Christof

Neo Member
(1) you are the baby, (2) you're the dad going to get items for your family and returning to Valut 111 (3) you're the baby who survives

I agree with some past posters, It looks like the trailer shows the family is locked out of the vault at the time of the nuclear explosion.

(4) You play as one of the parents after they exit cryo-sleep (My personal fav)
(5) Any of the above but you are secretly an Android/Gynoid built by The Institute

You what would be crazier? You can swap between the parents and build them differently but then in the end, one of them would have to die.
But that would require NPC's to recognize both and comment on who did what.

Salsa

I potentially like the idea of playing some "before nuclear" parts considering everything else looks very samey

How does the baby, or anyone in that family, survive if it's outside of the vault when the nuke goes off. If not killed outright or in the chaos that happened after that they would have been ghoulified.

Fjordson

I don't get how it would work. They'd be centuries old. The Great War was in 2077. The Fallout games start 84 years after that, but with how developed things look in this trailer I'd wager it takes place near Fallout 3, probably after. That's 200 years after the war.

I don't get how it would work. They'd be centuries old. The Great War was in 2077. The Fallout games start 84 years after that, but with how developed things look in this trailer I'd wager it takes place near Fallout 3, probably after. That's 200 years after the war.
Cryogenics.

robb_w7

Banned
Fallout 3's side quests were so amazing, finding all the secret weps and items was such a thrill, cannot wait for this

golem

This is definitely a stretch but if this were a 2016 game, wouldn't they have dropped that shoe in this first trailer? I think they're either saving it for the press conference (late 15/early 16) or this game is not coming out for a long ass time.
Thats my feeling as well. If it was far out they would probably just say so

Evil Beaver

I'm hoping for an advanced character creator, something like Mass Effect/Dragon Age's sliders. Being able to adjust body type and height would be cool too.

robb_w7

Banned
Thats my feeling as well. If it was far out they would probably just say so

The game will be out late this year

We have box art
We have reveal trailer with gameplay

E3 2008, reveal trailer of Fallout 3

October 2008, game released

Judging from how well the game looks from the trailer, id expect them to follow suit

Alienous

Alternatively, the protag is the baby. That way, you're not forced to be male.

That's old hat.

From the trailer I'm expecting that it's a lone survivor coming out of cryostasis having lost most of his memory and haunted by glimpses of his past. Maybe searching for his family.

Daria

(4) You play as one of the parents after they exit cryo-sleep (My personal fav)
(5) Any of the above but you are secretly an Android/Gynoid built by The Institute

You what would be crazier? You can swap between the parents and build them differently but then in the end, one of them would have to die.
But that would require NPC's to recognize both and comment on who did what.

I feel like you're going to end up playing as one of the parents just due to the character looking like the dad (but it could also mean you're the baby and you look like your dad or mom). Cryosleep is one of the most plausible scenarios that would explain their young age but being set centuries after the fallout

That's old hat.

From the trailer I'm expecting that it's a lone survivor coming out of cryostasis having lost most of his memory and haunted by glimpses of his past. Maybe searching for his family.

!! let us have quests or just something during he flashbacks !!

Yes. You can make either male or female, they even have perks tied to your gender. For example in New Vegas you can take a perk that does extra damage against enemies of the opposite sex.

Or the same sex, depending on whether you were RP'ing someone gay or straight. Nice touch.

MattyG

Banned
I'm doing a close examination of the trailer, gonna post a long dissection of it in a bit. I probably missed a bunch of stuff, but I also found a lot.

So many questions I want to ask, like factions. New Vegas had a robust amount of big and small factions you choose to ally/destroy. Not to mention the colorful cast of NPC companions that go with you. NV had those Vault 19 guys that lobbed dynamite, the Legion, Ormetas, Kings, friendly Nightkin, Vipers, Raiders, etc. I'd like to see return of Talon Company or some kind of mercenary equivalent.

New weapon types. You can throw grenades, but why not knives? It'd be perfect for the stealthy types where you toss a Stealth Boy and go all Batman on a group of raiders.

I'd like to collect Bobbleheads and Snowglobes if possible, perhaps some new marketable Vault Boy item they'll throw in.

this shot gave me chills

2fvokWS.gif

Yeah I was wondering what significance this has on the game:

Is it a form of transportation to other parts of the country?

It is a floating city?
Are they possible bad guys?

Also looking forward to what the limited edition May have in it. Fallout 3 and new vegas set the bar for me.

Wrynnax

I'm hoping they don't force multiplayer in it by having us have flashbacks during the war or something like that.

Unai

I hope they ditched the point system when leveling up and went with skyrims natural progression system.

What I mean by that is, if i want to get better at the energy weapons, I have to use those weapons more.

If I want a higher science, then I'd have to hack more terminals, craft more science recipes.

Having your character naturally be better at what ever playstyle you play the game with.

Oh God, I hope not. I even used a mod in Skyrim to change the level system making it fallout-like.

Whatever they do I hope they do not put deathclaws or that cazathingy in areas that are easily accessible in the early hours. If I had my way there wouldn't even be deathclaws but I guess that's why I'm not in charge of much.

Things I want out of Fallout 4 (and any Bethesda RPG going forward, really):

No essential NPCs.
I hate immortal NPCs with a passion. It kills immersion and it takes away player choice. If I choose to kill a character and it breaks a quest, that's my fault or my intent. The game should be smart enough to work it's way around a key character dying and it would add to replayability.

Not being reliant on a quest marker.
I want the ability to play the game from start to finish without a quest marker. I don't mean a stupid toggle in the options menu, either. If an NPC gives me a quest, I should have all the information necessary to complete it (or take steps to completing it) without needing a quest marker. So pointless, empty dialog like "Talk to Bill in Port Wellington." won't do because it tells you jack shit. How about, "Talk to Bill in Port Wellington. If his out-of-control beard doesn't give him away the alcohol on his breath will." Now I'll have an idea of what he looks like and where he'll probably be, but I'll still have to search for him myself instead of following an arrow.

Diverse, complex quests.
Skyrim hooked me on the Bethesda formula but going backwards and playing Oblivion made me realize how dumbed down Skyrim's quest structure was. Going back further to Morrowind made it look even worse. I want Bethesda to return to form on this.

And yeah, those are the big ones.

Whatever they do I hope they do not put deathclaws or that cazathingy in areas that are easily accessible in the early hours. If I had my way there wouldn't even be deathclaws but I guess that's why I'm not in charge of much.
Yeah you're about the last person that should be responsible for creature implementation.

Fjordson

Yeah I was wondering what significance this has on the game:

Is it a form of transportation to other parts of the country?

It is a floating city?
Are they possible bad guys?

Also looking forward to what the limited edition May have in it. Fallout 3 and new vegas set the bar for me.
New Enclave technology maybe. Or something that somebody managed to get out of The Institute. It's been sealed up post-war and what's gone on inside or what they've been making after the war is mostly unknown (aside from synths/androids).

I'm curious about how they go about voicing the main character. There's no way they'll strip out character creation, so will we have a have a variety of male and female actors with different speaking styles too choose from?
I would of course choose the gruff Australian option.

I sincerely hope they stick to New Vegas's systems regards skills and SPECIAL. Fallout 3 had too many worthless perks, and allowed for broken characters without much effort. I think NV's way was a good compromise between old school fallout and what F3 had established. Hardcore mode is also a must have.

I also like having a nice home/base that somewhat reflects what I've been doing. Like collecting snowglobes/bobbleheads and is a place I can send followers to hang out and interact with one another.

MUnited83

For you.
Things I want out of Fallout 4 (and any Bethesda RPG going forward, really):

No essential NPCs.
I hate immortal NPCs with a passion. It kills immersion and it takes away player choice. If I choose to kill a character and it breaks a quest, that's my fault or my intent. The game should be smart enough to work it's way around a key character dying and it would add to replayability.

Not being reliant on a quest marker.
I want the ability to play the game from start to finish without a quest marker. I don't mean a stupid toggle in the options menu, either. If an NPC gives me a quest, I should have all the information necessary to complete it (or take steps to completing it) without needing a quest marker. So pointless, empty dialog like "Talk to Bill in Port Wellington." won't do because it tells you jack shit. How about, "Talk to Bill in Port Wellington. If his out-of-control beard doesn't give him away the alcohol on his breath will." Now I'll have an idea of what he looks like and where he'll probably be, but I'll still have to search for him myself instead of following an arrow.

Diverse, complex quests.
Skyrim hooked me on the Bethesda formula but going backwards and playing Oblivion made me realize how dumbed down Skyrim's quest structure was. Going back further to Morrowind made it look even worse. I want Bethesda to return to form on this.

And yeah, those are the big ones.
No way you are getting any of those, sadly :(.
Quest marker reliance (and the gameplay design followed by it) are one of the worst things about Skyrim

Top Bottom