• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 was a big disappointment

black070

Most people claiming not to like the game have put atleast 20+ hours into it though..

B18jyzmIcAATmIW.jpg

mxgt

Banned
I don't care about the dialogue system.

F4 is leagues better than New Vegas.

I find it difficult to process opinions like this.

Why do you not care about how badly they stripped down the dialogue system in a Fallout game? dialogue is crucial.

Having played both back to back for 70+ hours and REALLY wanting to love FO4, I find New Vegas the better game by a significant margin. As a fallout game, it dumps on it. FO4 just can't touch NV in elements I consider crucial to a good Fallout game - dialogue, quest variety, a wide range of choices and general RPG elements+character building.

SillyJoe

Don't know how to feel about it, honestly. I enjoyed it, but it certainty wasn't worth the 8 year wait. I think my enjoyment of the game went down the hill after The Glowing Sea.

A shame because FO3 is my favourite game and I've been looking forward to this for years.

Sotha_Sil

Going from the New Vegas dialog system with all the skill and SPECIAL checks that unlocked additional lore or alternate paths to quests to the no-consequences dialog of Fallout 4 was a big disappointment.

Still, I have a lot of fun with the game. The world is very well designed, imo, and the gunplay is a lot better this time around. Strong art direction. I really enjoy the music as well (ambient and radio).

I agree. Playing the Witcher and then playing that was just a huge disappointment. I know that Bethesda is a very weird and peculiar studio when it comes to development and the tech they use but man, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. I thought that weak tech meant that we would get some incredible sandbox World but nope, the game didn't feel current gen at all. Felt like I was playing a cross gen game. The scope, scale and gameplay felt very last gen to me. The worst part about this is that ES:VI is definitely on the way and it'll probably be disappointing just like this game is. And that doesn't even touch the dumbed down RPG mechanics.

Obsidian will likely make a new fallout and I'm sure it'll be amazing, maybe they will improve the tech a little. At least get rid of load times between areas. That should not be here on this generation. Bethesda needs more competition, maybe that'll help.

NBtoaster

There are valid criticisms to be made but the OP really stretches things. The dialogue system is pretty bad, but why would they take inspiration from New Vegas which just used the same dialogue system as Fallout 3 and is not really suitable for a voiced character? Radiant quests are easy to identify and don't outnumber regular quests. Everything crammed into Boston? No. Many models the same from Fallout 3 but updated? No.

Broank

I disagree.

I have a 140+ hour play through and another 30 hour one and i've loved every minute of it. It's probably my favorite game of this gen so far.

Aaron D.

It was my GOTY, so opinions and all.

I will say that it is kind of disappointing seeing this game dragged through the mud repeatedly. Seems like new threads crop up every few days trashing it in one way or another.

It's so strange.

Maybe there should be a Sticky thread or something where people can just let it all out.

tuxfool

Banned
It was my GOTY, so opinions and all.

I will say that it is kind of disappointing seeing this game dragged through the mud repeatedly. Seems like new threads crop up every few days trashing it in one way or another.

It's so strange.

Not strange at all. A game and a series brings with it certain expectations. You saw the same thing with MGSV.

FO3 was a good first effort, despite being a rather poor FO game. NV really showed people that somebody knew how to do it. Along comes FO4 that ends up being even a regression on FO3 in some areas, no doubt people are going to be disappointed.

BigDes

Most people claiming not to like the game have put atleast 20+ hours into it though..

B18jyzmIcAATmIW.jpg

and if they'd said that they had only played it for a couple of hours you would have made an equally snide comment about judging a 40+ hour rpg in the first few hours I'm sure.

I fully agree. If we do get another spinoff like new vegas i hope whoever is making it takes inspiration from new vegas instead of fo4

Nere

There are valid criticisms to be made but the OP really stretches things. The dialogue system is pretty bad, but why would they take inspiration from New Vegas which just used the same dialogue system as Fallout 3 and is not really suitable for a voiced character? Radiant quests are easy to identify and don't outnumber regular quests. Everything crammed into Boston? No. Many models the same from Fallout 3 but updated? No.

Because New Vegas had the perfect dialogue system. All your stats affected the dialogue system it was rich, deep and could open new conversations and quest paths what's not to like? Who asked for a voiced character in the first place? It just limits the dialogue I don't mind if the protagonist is silent. The radiant quests are more and useless would happilly trade all of them for a bunch of hand made good side quests. The map is smaller than skyrim even though bethesda said they are the same. As for the new models yes many are the same almost all of the robots, fatman, first aid box, jet, stimpacks, hunting rifle and others just a few I can think of now.

I love Fallout 4. The weapons feel great, the humor is spot on, and this is the first Bethesda game where I actually liked the supporting cast. The larger focus on action is also a plus for me.

My biggest gripes with the game are the terrible load times and overabundance of hacking/lockpicking.

Kolx

This is without a doubt the worst Bethesda game I've ever played. The radiant quests only made the game 1000x worse. I didn't play the game for weeks now and if I come back I plan to finish whatever left of the main story and be done with it.

lazygecko

Why do you not care about how badly they stripped down the dialogue system in a Fallout game? dialogue is crucial.

Whoever plays Fallout for the dialogue anyway? That's just really strange. Like playing Tomb Raider for exploration and acrobatic platforming.

Vex_

Banned
Because New Vegas had the perfect dialogue system. All your stats affected the dialogue system it was rich, deep and could open new conversations and quest paths what's not to like? Who asked for a voiced character in the first place? It just limits the dialogue I don't mind if the protagonist is silent. The radiant quests are more and useless would happilly trade all of them for a bunch of hand made good side quests. The map is smaller than skyrim even though bethesda said they are the same. As for the new models yes many are the same almost all of the robots, fatman, first aid box, jet, stimpacks, hunting rifle and others just a few I can think of now.

From what I've seen so far. F4 is larger than skyrim. You can't compare map sizes as they do not take into account how the environment in f4 is more vertical than skyrim.

Jumping from building to building in power armor is good fun -- as is falling from one and doing aoe damage upon landing.

Also, there are more/larger interiors than skyrim. I played skyrim for years up until f4s release before beating it lol.

Ptaaty

It's not worse or a step back overall, just different.

There are going to be plenty of folks that think it is better because it is in some ways, while not as good in others.

Combat and environments are far better IMO. Dialog is obviously worse. I'm only 38 hours in - quest stories seem worse. The addition of crafting and settlements are fairly considerable adds that many enjoy.

Because I am not much into dialog, and story in games for me is not a big deal, this is my favorite - mostly because of the combat and environments. I can obviously see why folks might feel the opposite though based on their gaming preferences.

Jinjo

Yes it was. Wish I never bought it and saved the money for other more fun games this holiday season.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I can't really comment at length on this subject since I've only put a few hours into Fallout 4, mainly to create my character and have a quick look at the world.

But one thing I know already is that I hate Preston Garvey, and it's because of the god damn radiant quests that I'd hoped were a failed experiment from Skyrim that we'd never see or hear of ever again. I can tell their implementation in Fallout is even worse, in fact they seem downright obnoxious.

I love Bethesda, The Elder Scrolls is my thing and I enjoyed Fallout 3, but their radiant quests are terrible. Like really, really bad. They need to die in a fire.

Abylim

Why do you need random internet people to validate your enjoyment?

I thought I clarified this in the following post. It's not validation, its no big deal.

It's more about my tastes changing, or everyone elses. I used to agree with a ton of stuff on this site, but lately I am against the grain.

I dont see the outrage over the PS2 on PS4 thing. I bought two games, in fact.

I loved TPP. GOTY contender.

And I loved FO4.

The fact that so many people on here feel so strongly against these points, and it seems like the vast majority do, that has led me to feel "wrong".

Note that I dont think I am wrong in my opinions, just that I'm noticing my contrary opinion as of late.

Lately I'm just refraining from posting because it always ends up in a circular, pointless argument.

epmode

I'm having a pretty good time with Fallout 4 but that dialogue system is astonishingly bad. It's like they're thumbing their nose at Obsidian.

So whoever wrote that it's a good game but an awful Fallout game is absolutely right.

How can it be such a big disappointment when everyone with a dislike of Bethesda just knew the game was going to suck, and met their expectation?

I still can't believe people actually think the Dialogue system in New Vegas is good. Quest design I will grant you, but I will never consider 59 explosives Hur-Dur Grenades go boom 60 explosives -> Detailed explanation of grenade inner workings is somehow good dialogue design.

Ultimadrago

I don't care for Obsidian's work too much either, but man, Fallout 4 really screwed the pooch with dialogue and quest pathing options. (This has been a pre-recorded post by Ultimadrago.)

I understand why some people don't like Fallout 4 because of the stripped down RPG elements and how simple the dialogue system is. For me, though, I really enjoy it because I'm treating it more as a Borderlands-style game - a shooter looter with some RPG elements to customize your character. I wouldn't ever put Fallout 4 on a best RPG list, but I would totally put it on a best shooter/best game list. I've enjoyed my time with it, but it's partially because I like crafting/building and have probably spent equal amounts of time customizing my base/weapons/armor as I have shooting things.

I'm honestly interested to see what Bethesda does with the next Elder Scrolls game - I can't see how the simplified Fallout system could be applied to a more fantasy-based game. It'll be interesting to see if ESVI suffers from the same user base opinion split as Fallout 4.

Devil

You know, there is a difference between "not liking" and being disappointed.

I completely agree with everything the OP said. The disappointment gets even bigger if you are a fan of previous games and therefore expected nothing of lesser quality than you already had before. That doesn't mean one couldn't have any fun with the game, not in the slightest. Learn to differentiate, there is a huge grey area between loving and hating with a lot of room for profound criticism.

Also, a game like Fallout naturally needs to be played for many hours before it can be evaluated. Not sure where you were going with your post, really...

D-VoN

I've got about 120 hours in and overall, it's a great video game but a bad fallout game. As OP mentioned, the dialog system is a big letdown for me. Also, the simplified character progression by removing skill level and replacing with perks only is kind of a bummer too. No longer can you have the hilarious low int builds...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fallout 4 was my first Fallout game and it'll probably be my last. Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time, but Fallout just doesn't seem to be for me. It's funny, because the two share so many similarities, but once I stepped out of that vault, I just had trouble getting immersed in the world. That and it just looks ugly, aesthetically.

I realize that a post-apocalyptic world might realistically look ugly, but... that doesn't really help as an excuse.

This has been my problem since Fallout 3. I could enjoy the detached perspective of 2, but once things went full first person with 3 I realized that I just really really really don't feel any interest in exploring this ugly, run down, "look its a modern city but its all gone to shit" drab landscape. I get why the post apocalypse fantasy works for some people but goddamn I cannot give less of a shit about it

Thats probably my first and last post on the issue

Tobor

I find it difficult to process opinions like this.

Having played both back to back for 70+ hours and REALLY wanting to love FO4, I find New Vegas the better game by a significant margin. As a fallout game, it dumps on it. FO4 just can't touch NV in elements I consider crucial to a good Fallout game - dialogue, quest variety, a wide range of choices and general RPG elements+character building.

I'm more interested in the gameplay than the story or dialogue, I guess. That said, I like the lore and world structure, and the dialogue is fine to me. I think the dialogue in New Vegas is overrated, as this is just as good.

Anyway, New Vegas was ok, but F4 improves upon it in every way that I care about.

dzelly

Sorry it was a disappointment OP. I absolutely love it. I am more content with being immersed in the universe of Fallout more than anything else. I've been playing Fallout 4, and only Fallout 4, since release. With the exception of playing about two hours of Battlefront.

Fallout New Vegas is still my favorite, but Obsidian is god tier when it comes to making rpg's.

Timeaisis

There was another thread that just came up comparing the amount of quests from FO4 to Skyrim, and it showed FO4 had a lot less quests. But that's not even the problem. I get the quality over quantity argument completely: if you are going to have less quests, make them better. Problem is, FO4 quests aren't really any better than Skyrim or New Vegas or FO3. In fact, they are actually kind of worse.

Every single quest is resolved by killing people. Most quests have almost no dialogue options at all that change the outcome of the quest. Most quests worth doing are faction or story related. The one-off sidequests aren't nearly as interesting as FO3 or New Vegas sidequests (New Vegas has some of the best optional sidequests in any game I've ever played). The only sidequests in FO4 that stand out to me are
The Cabot House
Vault 81
and of course
THE SILVER SHROUD
, which are pretty good. The rest are "kill these things and report back to me."

It's a shame because the rest of the game is good. I think the world is populated with more things than ever, it's denser thane ever before. I think the combat is significantly improved. And I think your companions are very good. The dialogue system is bad though. It feels like it doesn't even exist. The main quest is good enough, but the sidequests aren't great.

The biggest issue I take with Fallout 4 is that the world is great and well-realized, but it completely lacks payoffs. I found myself frequently being intrigued by certain aspects of Fallout 4: maybe an interesting thing I found on the map, or a very interesting NPC that starts a questline. It's as if I found some awesome secret in FO4, a game littered with content and secrets and new quests. However, none of that content really felt like it delivered on it's promise. Like I said above, there were only two sidequests that I felt really stuck out and stayed with me, that delivered on that feeling we play these games for: the joy of discovery and the intrigue of the world. The rest are all a blur of murdering Super Mutants and reporting back for a reward. I enjoy the game, but it the quests just seem like a huge step back from the previous games, especially New Vegas.

Sanctuary

I agree. I was excited for the game, bought it day one, played it for 25 hours, and it turned out to be a soulless husk. Never went back.

This is about how I feel about it as well. I think I may have managed 42 hours or so, but the problem I have is that the game isn't challenging in any way and the quests aren't good enough to care. At this point, I just want to force myself to finish at least the main quest so that I don't have yet another unfinished game.

Maybe if they had not wasted so much time trying to appease Minecraft fanatics it would have had more meat to the main game.

It feels like a natural progression from Fallout 3 to me, I like it quite a bit more than 3 but New Vegas and 2 remain my top games in the series. It's got by far the best world to explore, great atmosphere, much improved writing on Bethesdas part, and the gameplay blows every other game in the series out of the water.

The dialogue system is pared back, and that sucks, but it didn't ruin the game for me as much as I thought it would. The general lack of choice in how to do things was a bigger problem for me.

Oh, don't worry. That is still coming. You think they are just gonna drop a potentially multimillion dollar idea like that?
I still don't think we'll see it for this game but then again- I could totally see them charging for certain "curated packs" knowing modern consumers will lap it up.

Fallout 4 is basically a modded Fallout 3.
I dunno... It's not their fault the modding community attracted to their games has done just about every conversion scenario or idea out there at least once...

Mods turned FNV from great to god-tier by improving upon and expanding its base systems- I just don't see how mods are going to fix my most disliked things about F4's wasteland. Maybe they'll resort to another DLC rewrite or five.

You know, there is a difference between "not liking" and being disappointed.

I completely agree with everything the OP said. The disappointment gets even bigger if you are a fan of previous games and therefore expected nothing of lesser quality than you already had before. That doesn't mean one couldn't have any fun with the game, not in the slightest. Learn to differentiate, there is a huge grey area between loving and hating with a lot of room for profound criticism.

Also, a game like Fallout naturally needs to be played for many hours before it can be evaluated. Not sure where you were going with your post, really...
This is a good mindset.

KraytarJ

I platinum'd it so I didn't overly dislike it but while playing it I realized it was a better time waster than engaging game. It's amazing that a game that took 4 years from Skyrim and 7 from Fallout 3 seemed to learn almost nothing from the rest of the industry and the progression of open-world games as a whole. Perhaps most disheartening was the haphazard way Bethesda tried to handle factions especially after how well New Vegas did it 5 years ago. I'm still not sure who thought it was a good idea to force you to choose between two mysterious factions that have no presence in the game outside of their quest lines and a third faction that really shouldn't be there. New Vegas for example had the NCR and Legion be prominent throughout the game while Mr. House was intentionally mysterious and it all worked so much better.

pringles

Oblivion has some of the best quests even to this day
Stopped reading here. Oblivion's quests were fucking terrible.

Fallout 4 is great. It's not perfect (I agree the dialogue system is shit) but on an overall level it's probably the best thing Bethesda has done since Morrowind.

Top Bottom